Platinum Difficulty Challenge 2023

PSA regarding the Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1

I tried to have the MGS2 and MGS3 lists unlinked from the PS3/Vita versions since the lists are significantly different in my opinion, but that was rejected so as-is the new games share forums and guides with the old games. Therefore, all existing ratings for old MGS2 and old MGS3 will now apply to new MGS2 and new MGS3. 

The difficulty on MGS2 has not really shifted much, but now it's more of a true skill difficulty based list rather than a perseverance difficulty based list because of the introduction of the Big Boss rank trophy.

The difficulty on MGS3 has increased quite a bit, but until there's a trophy guide rating this particular version of the game, you'll have to use the lower guide ratings from the old version. 

Metal Gear Solid 2 - 7/10 8/10 9/10 10/10

L7b5fb8.png

Metal Gear Solid 3 - 3/10 4/10 5/10

Laf7a55.png

Edited by Rebourne07
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Ticked off an easy one with Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. 

:platinum:   1/10:     Knightin+ (playstationtrophies.org)

:platinum:   2/10:    Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (psnprofiles.com) 

:platinum:   3/10:    Maquette (platprices.com) 

:platinum:   4/10:    God of War: Ragnarök (psnprofiles.com) 

:platinum:   5/10:    Inscryption (platprices.com) 

:platinum:   6/10:    Jurassic World Evolution 2 (psnprofiles.com)

274e.png   7/10:    Solar Ash (playstationtrophies.org)

:platinum:   8/10:    Elden Ring (psnprofiles.com) 

:platinum:   9/10:    WipEout: Omega Collection (platprices.com) 

:platinum:   10/10:  Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time (playstationtrophies.org) 

I'll have to dig up the tentative list of badges that I wrote down in January... not too far away from finishing Solar Ash as well. This event was groovy.

Congratulations on Gold tier! Just post your badges when you platinum Solar Ash and I'll update the leaderboards. Btw love your 1-10 color formatting, I think I'll steal that for my lists 😆

• Like 2

Posting another update about the MGS Master Collection Vol 1 since I know several people including myself are interested in using them for next year's challenge.

I found trophy guides specifically for the new versions that everyone can use:

L477989.png Metal Gear Solid 1 - 8/10

L18e62c.png Metal Gear Solid 2 - 10/10
Lbe5308.png Metal Gear Solid 3 - 9/10

Also keep in mind that, as far as I can tell, there is no auto-pop or save transfer between PS4 and PS5 versions.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

Sup guys, I'm hard at work preparing next years event. Been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm excited to present the tentative badge list. Hardcore badges have been added. Text in bold red indicates changes to existing badges. I dropped the Easy Mode idea...too many potential complications. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions!

Hey Rebourne, the badges looks nice but i have a few remarks:

Backlog Breaker - the 3 year old badge from this year was given to someone if he/she had 90% completion. Is there some kind of rule for that badge as well? Otherwise this could be hard for completionist to get.

PS3 Master - i saw that you reduced the games for Vita and VR. Not sure how everyone else Sees it but i think you could reduce the number for this badge as well. I mean i have my PS3 but it was hard for me to find 3 PS3 games i still want to Do. I guess in the future less people will even own a PS3 anymore to even tackle this badge. But again this is a topic for discussion.

Simmer - does Simulator needs to be in the title or is genre ok as well?

Speedrun - not sure if 150 hours are realistic, if you break it down each game is only allowed to take 15 hours. If i look at the harder numbers it is more unusual to have a game under 15 hours. If you are really good i only can think of Vanquish and Deadbolt as a 10/10. Maybe the number needs to be a bit higher for people to reach it. But you can also try it next year and see how many can get this :)

• Like 1

i nearly finished dragonball xenoverse 1 95% devil may cry 1 60% and i have started playing god of war ragnarok ps5 version 4% now but xenoverse 1 is 1 of the grind games i got with collecting all the super and ultimate attacks i stil got 1 online trophie left  observing 7 online battles 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

Hey man! Thank you so much for the feedback! 

Backlog Breaker - I'll put in the badge clarifications that this badge will be automatically awarded to anyone with a completion rate of 85% or higher on their second list. I say their second list because the only people that would even care about collecting lots of badges, or every badge, are people doing at least two lists.

PS3 Master - This is a really good point. I'll lower the requirement from 6 games to 3. PS3 still has some life left in it, but you're right that it's dying out. 

Simmer - For this one the word Simulator needs to be in the title itself. The reason being that its purpose is to get people to play games they otherwise may never try and give a unique challenge and IMDB puts some pretty random genres on games sometimes. Like I would not consider NBA 2K24, Weird West or Sakura Succubus 6 simulators...at least not in the same way as games like Farming Simulator or Bus Simulator.

Speedrun - So I was preparing to rebuttal with how you can platinum several games that are 1-3 hours and make more time for the higher difficulties...but as I looked on PlatPrices at the types of games that are 4, 5, or 6 in difficulty with low time estimates...they are garbage and I don't wanna promote that. So I'll scrap this badge and instead open up the 10th Hardcore Badge to community submissions. 

If anyone has any ideas for a Hardcore Badge please post them here. I'll gather them and make a poll of the top 4-5 and the winner gets in. A Hardcore Badge needs to present a tougher challenge than standard badges, something guaranteed to be rare. But it also needs to be interesting enough to make people want to try to go for it. Bonus points if you provide a cool or funny yet meaningful gif to go along with it lol

In a previous post about badges you did suggest the Grinder badge as a hardcore option which was missing from the 10 final ones.

I may be biased, looking at my list this year, but that would get my vote*

I think there are more good games with longer estimated times than shorter so it doesn't run into the same issue as the Speedrun badge did.

cN7cFEe.jpeg Grinder - The sum total of the official time estimates of all the games on your list is 700hrs or more

I think it will also give interesting decisions about multiple lists and whether you need to sacrifice a list to complete this one.

*This in no way implies that I am going to be daft enough to add a 1000+ hour game to my list next year 😀

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skagarrin said:

In a previous post about badges you did suggest the Grinder badge as a hardcore option which was missing from the 10 final ones.

I may be biased, looking at my list this year, but that would get my vote*

I think there are more good games with longer estimated times than shorter so it doesn't run into the same issue as the Speedrun badge did.

cN7cFEe.jpeg Grinder - The sum total of the official time estimates of all the games on your list is 700hrs or more

I think it will also give interesting decisions about multiple lists and whether you need to sacrifice a list to complete this one.

*This in no way implies that I am going to be daft enough to add a 1000+ hour game to my list next year 😀

Thank you! Glad to see someone liked that. I didn't know if it'd turn people off or not. I'll put that one in the poll (or just adopt it outright if I don't get enough good submissions for a poll). My original inspiration for Grinder was to give myself motivation to put games like Personal 5 Royal or The Witcher 3 on my list that I normally avoid because they are too long lol

20 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

Sup guys, I'm hard at work preparing next years event. Been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm excited to present the tentative badge list. Hardcore badges have been added. Text in bold red indicates changes to existing badges. I dropped the Easy Mode idea...too many potential complications. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions!

I like the list overall! 

For the hardcore badge, I would second the vote for Grinder, if only for the selfish reason that the tentative list of games to play I've put together for next year is stacked with 70+ hour games. 

For the system badges, I think 3 is the right number for PS3.  The 1 for Vita and VR seems a little unfair to those of us who don't own those systems, as it's close to a free badge for those who do. If those badges are so unpopular that they have to be made that easy, they might deserve to be dropped altogether (or maybe just combined into one "Secondary Hardware Fanboy" badge where you get 3 total from either/both systems.)

I would also suggest Money Bags be nerfed a bit, to at least 5 if not 4. That one's too hard since guides + ratings are so unreliable for all but the big AAA games, and those are like 90% 3 or 4/10.

Finally: no Guide Writer!? Did it get dropped? I had fun with that this year and had a couple potential targets for it for next year.  

Spoiler

(I can neither confirm nor deny that I planned on creating my own 1/10 ratings .........................................)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zaxonzaxon said:

I like the list overall! 

For the hardcore badge, I would second the vote for Grinder, if only for the selfish reason that the tentative list of games to play I've put together for next year is stacked with 70+ hour games. 

For the system badges, I think 3 is the right number for PS3.  The 1 for Vita and VR seems a little unfair to those of us who don't own those systems, as it's close to a free badge for those who do. If those badges are so unpopular that they have to be made that easy, they might deserve to be dropped altogether (or maybe just combined into one "Secondary Hardware Fanboy" badge where you get 3 total from either/both systems.)

I would also suggest Money Bags be nerfed a bit, to at least 5 if not 4. That one's too hard since guides + ratings are so unreliable for all but the big AAA games, and those are like 90% 3 or 4/10.

Finally: no Guide Writer!? Did it get dropped? I had fun with that this year and had a couple potential targets for it for next year.  

Hide contents

(I can neither confirm nor deny that I planned on creating my own 1/10 ratings .........................................)

Well that’s a second vote for Grinder and no one has submitted any alternatives so yeah I’ll make that the 10th hardcore badge, thank you :) 

I like the idea of secondary hardware. Maybe I’ll do 1 game that either requires a Vita or VR or Move controllers. Hmmm.

Youre kinda right about money bags. Dang AAA games are almost always 3/10 nowadays. I’ll nerf it to 3. 

I actually had several people complain about Guide Writer. But I personally liked it. Maybe I’ll add it back if I can’t think of a better badge since combining Vita and VR will leave a vacancy in the 25 standard badges.

• Like 2