Facebook buys Oculus VR...and I can't stop laughing!

antithesis

Two reasons this can be good for VR

1. Facebook has the power to push Oculus Rift enough to get it into the public eye of casual gamers and non-gamers alike. This is probably the Rift's best chance at selling many units.
  2. Being backed by such a wealthy and well-known company would allow them to sell the Rift at a very reasonable price, maybe even at a slight loss.

Followed by a very long list of cons.

And I don't believe Sony's headset will "save" VR, as some are saying. The Rift had/has a much better chance at it with the huge dev support the PC community has.

Edited by rsoto1125

That's the danger. What was a groundroots-powered product intended to revolutionise the gaming industry has now been handed to Sony and MS to water down and turn into the next big gimmick.

By signing up with Facebook, Oculus VR has instantaneously lost all credibility and goodwill amongst the video gaming community and development industry. They (re)created the demand for VR and have all but turned their backs on the very people who just made them wealthy men.

Gamers and developers are going to look elsewhere, but perhaps with a focus on revenue instead of innovation. Sad, sad day.

That's really sad because they probably wasted those devs time. 

"YOU GOT TO BE FCKIN' KIDDING ME" - First words that came out of me...  :facepalm: 

My goodness! Lord have mercy! is this really happening... *asked my colleague to slapped me (Opened my eyes and still in front of this Headline)..

Guess the next step to humanity now is to have sex via Facebook VR ala Total Recall style..(wait, I think it was Judge Dredd)   :D 

And with this news in mind... Project Morpheus is on its way to STARDOM and limelight! Full throttle, baby!  :platinum:  :gold: 

.......I still can't believe am reading this...

-Razgriz

Edited by xf22Razgriz

"YOU GOT TO BE FCKIN' KIDDING ME" - First words that came out of me...  :facepalm: 

My goodness! Lord have mercy! is this really happening... *asked my colleague to slapped me (Opened my eyes and still in front of this Headline)..

Guess the next step to humanity now is to have sex via Facebook VR ala Total Recall style..(wait, I think it was Judge Dredd)   :D 

And with this news in mind... Project Morpheus is on its way to STARDOM and limelight! Full throttle, baby!  :platinum:  :gold: 

.......I still can't believe am reading this...

-Razgriz

Well at least like you said, the nerds of this world can finally get some action. :P

I feel sorry for all the Kickstarter Backers. Give your hard earned money to a company hoping they can bring a new age of gaming. Only for them to straight cash out. Whoever would have thought that the creator of FPS, John Carmack, would be a Facebook employee. The dude is literally a rocket scientist but works for FB now. All of this is just insane. 

Facebook is looking to re-brand Oculus...

Facebook is looking to rebrand and redesign the Oculus Rift, according to an insider.

The New York Times reports that "Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo," sourcing a person with insider knowledge of the company's acquisition of Oculus. The social media giant purchased the VR-hardware maker for $2 billion yesterday ($400 million in cash and 23.1 million in Facebook shares).

IGN spoke with Oculus leadership — CEO Brendan Iribe, co-founder Palmer Luckey, and vice president of product Nate Mitchell — about the landmark deal, and they believe the acquisition will benefit gamers. "We're going to leverage what we can from Facebook to scale and deliver a better product at a lower cost," said Iribe.

Not everyone is happy about the deal between Facebook and Oculus, however, most notably Markus "Notch" Persson. He voiced his concerns on his personal blog while also detailing why he canceled a Minecraft project for Oculus Rift. "I definitely want to be a part of VR, but I will not work with Facebook," Persson wrote. "Their motives are too unclear and shifting, and they haven’t historically been a stable platform. There’s nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me."

In the face of this criticism, Mitchell of Oculus promises that "we're not going to let the community down."

Source: IGN

So they're going to re-brand and redesign the Oculus, that sure does sound promising...

Parker