Trophies for Mental Health III

43 minutes ago, DJ__Beatroot said:

I've been debating for a week about joining this event due to the content of the games we would be playing, and reminding us just how fragile the human mind really is.  But this is for a good cause and a reminder not to be too harsh when judging the actions of others. Maybe they just need help or someone to listen.  

So, of course I will join.  My game will be:

Lost Words: Beyond the page.  Seeing a character struggling with self-esteem and confidence, and spiraling into depression. Just think back of when you first started attending school and discovered peer-pressure, and the interactions of others.  

Bonus game will probably be Never Alone. What fun to run through the snow with a companion?

Looking over the games from my profile I would suggest:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Erica

Journey

They don't have to be super in your face to work for the event. I would take games that help overall mental wellness like Tetris Effect, Abzu, or Flower. I would also take games that just have elements of mental health like Tales of Arise, Final Fantasy 7, Detroit: Become Human, or pretty much the entire Persona series. Are they a little more difficult to explain and talk about? Yes, but they all 100% work if you can identify those elements and explain them well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

And just for full disclosure, I don't host these to inflate my ego. I'm going to donate to these charities regardless of whether or not I did it as an event because these are things that I personally care about a lot.

In fact, last October, I was going to skip hosting Trophies to Fight Cancer, but @kindajustin (you did great btw) picked it up after I said that I going to skip the year and just donate due to mental exhaustion at work. It just goes to show how important these events are to others or become to others.

As you mentioned, these events do more than just help a charity. The purpose of these is to bring us together for something we can relate to and something we all care about. I'm truly glad other's pick up on this. It's what really makes events like this special. Allows us to really get to know each other past the computer screen.

And if this is not your thing, cool. But I hope it inspires others to host events for causes they care about and see that playing games and hunting trophies can bring us together for a good cause.

Anyways, that's enough soapboxing. Thanks for joining!

Nobody needs to donate to charity

Just donate to me the source lol

I and others that suffer from mental illness really appreciate these events. 

I wish I could take part, but it's too much pressure now, and the games probably wouldn't be ok for me

(although I enjoyed doki doki literature club if that counts) 

Ty to everyone taking part <3

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

@Beyondthegrave07

Sorry to bother you but any thoughts on the game I suggested in my last post?

Yes, it works. Just be sure to explain it with your own words and thoughts after you finish the game. I think there's definitely a mental health aspect that you can view the game from based on what you provided.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yuber6969 said:

Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!: Since the game already spoils this with a trigger warning at the start (trigger warning = spoiler IMO): the game deals with suicide.

If anyone plays it, please don't skip through the side stories, or any of the game, it's really good

• Like 2

Oh wow, I'd love to join this Community Event!

@Beyondthegrave07 Are you still looking for someone to make badges for the event? If so, I'd be happy to help out with that!

Why this event means a lot to me:

I've struggled with anxiety and depression for at least a decade. Where I live in the American Midwest there are not a lot of mental health services or providers. My region basically has one big medical group that has a monopoly on mental health services outside of private practitioners. After trying *eight* different antidepressants with 'meh' results, I had to advocate to try a non-medication treatment that the medical group themselves offer. ?

Over the past two years, with the help of an amazing (private practice) therapist, I've come to realize that I'm probably undiagnosed inattentive or combined ADHD. I had to wait 10 months to do a general 'mental health test' last summer through the medical monopoly place (even though I just wanted testing for ADHD), and that whole experience was a clusterfuck and highly unprofessional. Afterwards, my therapist suggested I go somewhere specializing in ADHD to get tested (since uh.... medical monopoly place also used some quite outdated testing instruments...), and we found a much better place. Made my appointment in November 2022 (time blindness oops)... and the testing is going to be in October 2023. Only 5 more months to wait at this point, so yay?

Why do I bring this up?

Certainly a lot of people have depression and anxiety due to socioeconomic reasons and other factors outside themselves. Heck, I have some financial trauma from childhood that I still need to work on unpacking. At the same time, there are many people who have biochemical/neurological factors that impact their mental health. I can't speak for other countries, but the American health system criminally underfunds mental health services, and we are in desperate need of more mental health providers. I'm fortunate to have a spouse with a stable financial situation that has allowed me to pursue therapy and treatments I couldn't afford during the many years when I was single. But it's frustrating to know that the progress I've made in the past 18 months with my mental health - and the potential future progress after I (hopefully) get a confirmation on diagnosis - could have happened a lot faster if the wait time for getting services wasn't so astronomically long, thus drastically shortening the amount of time where life felt like it was just on 'pause' for me.

I also love that this event doesn't just focus on a numerical donation, but also on having all its participants reflect on mental health and perhaps increase their understanding/empathy/awareness of mental health issues that people face. It actually puts the "awareness" in Mental Health Awareness, versus just spreading awareness of those words! ?

For my fellow gamers struggling with mental health:

You've probably heard this a hundred times already, but if you are able to afford therapy and haven't tried it, I really recommend that you do. If you aren't sure if you can afford therapy, while a lot of private therapists don't accept insurance, some do! And many therapists also offer a sliding payment scale based on your income, whether or not you have health insurance (at least in the US). I thought that I was "getting by" in life and that my mental health wasn't "bad enough" for therapy. I'm also decently well-read on general mental health advice, and didn't see how I could learn very much in therapy that would help me personally.

Instead, my therapist helped me to identify illogical and/or negative thinking patterns, find ways to apply CBT in a manner that worked for me, and per above helped me to realize that my depression and anxiety were potential side effects of being neurodivergent trying to live by neurotypical standards and expectations. You might have to try a few therapists before you find one that you click with (she was the second one I went to), plus the first 2-3 sessions might not feel super helpful because you need to build some rapport and trust - and they need to get to know you. But it is truly helpful if you stick with it! I'm happy to answer any questions about my experiences with therapy via PM (whether you are an event participant or just a lurker/supporter in heart).

Games I Recommend From My List For Part 1 - Game Exploring Mental Health/Illness:

• Journey (The game's journey can definitely be read as a metaphor for long-term struggle with depression, I 100% agree with what @Platinum_Vice said. However, the game itself is one of the most positive and uplifting videogame experiences I have ever had - especially with Auston Wintory's soundtrack - so it is a great choice for someone who is looking to avoid darker themes right now. Trophy list does not have a platinum, but there are a few co-op ones.)
  • Gris (The entire game is a beautiful metaphor for the 5 Stages of Grief. It's also a really easy platinum to get in about 5 hours, or less if you skip a blind run.)
  • Night in the Woods (I'll be vague to avoid spoilers, but many of the game's characters struggle with mental health in one way or another - whether they are a main character or an NPC that you talk to a couple of times. A lot of the game's dialogue is kind of goofy and quirky, but then there are moments where shit gets serious for a moment, and the dialogue feels so natural and realistic).

Games I Recommend From My List for Part 2 - Outdoors Bonus Theme:

• Abzû (A very serene, almost meditative experience, of underwater exploration as a scuba-diver. The environments also have beautiful lighting, so I didn't struggle with my mild videogame-specific thalassophobia.)
  • PowerWash Simulator (Perhaps an odd choice, but you powerwash stuff mostly in outdoor environments. ? I found it very calming and also somewhat meditative at times, with the repetitious gameplay that is simple but has surprising depth to its mechanics for what it is. Probably a good 40 hours to platinum, for those who care about that.)
  • Toem (You have a camera, and you take photos of things - outdoors - to help people out as you slowly make your way to your end destination. I normally love lots of color in my games, but the black and white aesthetic was perfect for this game. A cute and quirky game.)
  • Firewatch (You get to walk around a national state park as you keep an eye out for forest fires. You slowly learn about what brought your character to the wilderness for the summer as he talks with his radio operator and they slowly learn about each other. A mystery eventually emerges as well.)

My Games to Play:

Part 1 - Exploration of Mental Health/Illness:

This is kind of tough since people have already recommended several games from my backlog, haha. (Celeste, Chicory, Detroit: Become Human, Disco Elysium, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Life is Strange: True Colors, Oxenfree, Returnal, & What Remains of Edith Finch).

Ideally, I'd like a game that really digs into the mental health or mental illness aspect with some nuance either via narrative or via game mechanic. I'm kind of intrigued at using Returnal, since I wasn't aware that it was a good candidate for this event. Cassylvania's recent review of Detroit: Become Human has renewed my wanting to play that game as well. Then Disco Elysium is another thought, but part of me wants to try to pick a game that isn't already going to have a write-up done on it. Later tonight or tomorrow I'll go through the previous two years and see if anything from my backlog hasn't already been done (and save me from some indecisiveness, lmao).

Part 2 - Outdoors Bonus Theme:

I recently downloaded Sable onto my PS5 to tackle for another event. Since exploration seems to be a big aspect of the game I've kept myself mostly blind to it, but I know that the sand-gliding traversal mechanic is supposed to be a big part of the gameplay. If anyone who's played the game already can confirm that it would work for the bonus theme, that would be wonderful! If it would be a bit of a stretch, then please let me know, as I have many games in my backlog to pick from. ?

Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, pelagia14 said:

Oh wow, I'd love to join this Community Event!

@Beyondthegrave07 Are you still looking for someone to make badges for the event? If so, I'd be happy to help out with that!

Why this event means a lot to me:

I've struggled with anxiety and depression for at least a decade. Where I live in the American Midwest there are not a lot of mental health services or providers. My region basically has one big medical group that has a monopoly on mental health services outside of private practitioners. After trying *eight* different antidepressants with 'meh' results, I had to advocate to try a non-medication treatment that the medical group themselves offer. 1f644.png

Over the past two years, with the help of an amazing (private practice) therapist, I've come to realize that I'm probably undiagnosed inattentive or combined ADHD. I had to wait 10 months to do a general 'mental health test' last summer through them (even though I just wanted testing for ADHD), and that whole experience was a clusterfuck and highly unprofessional. Afterwards, my therapist suggested I go somewhere specializing in ADHD to get tested (since uh.... medical monopoly place also used some quite outdated testing instruments...), and we found a much better place. Made my appointment in November 2022 (time blindness oops)... and the testing is going to be in October 2023. Only 5 more months to wait at this point, so yay?

Why do I bring this up?

Certainly a lot of people have depression and anxiety due to socioeconomic reasons and other factors outside themselves. Heck, I have some financial trauma from childhood that I still need to work on unpacking. At the same time, there are many people who have biochemical/neurological factors that impact their mental health. I can't speak for other countries, but the American health system criminally underfunds mental health services, and we are in desperate need of more mental health providers. I'm fortunate to have a spouse with a stable financial situation that has allowed me to pursue therapy and treatments I couldn't afford during the many years when I was single. But it's frustrating to know that the progress I've made in the past 18 months with my mental health - and the potential future progress after I (hopefully) get a confirmation on diagnosis - could have happened a lot faster if the wait time for getting services wasn't so astronomically long, thus drastically shortening the amount of time where life felt like it was just on 'pause' for me.

I also love that this event doesn't just focus on a numerical donation, but also on having all its participants reflect on mental health and perhaps increase their understanding/empathy/awareness of mental health issues that people face. It actually puts the "awareness" in Mental Health Awareness, versus just spreading awareness of those words! 1f602.png

For my fellow gamers struggling with mental health:

You've probably heard this a hundred times already, but if you are able to afford therapy and haven't tried it, I really recommend that you do. If you aren't sure if you can afford therapy, while a lot of private therapists don't accept insurance, some do! And many therapists also offer a sliding payment scale based on your income, whether or not you have health insurance (at least in the US). I thought that I was "getting by" in life and that my mental health wasn't "bad enough" for therapy. I'm also decently well-read on general mental health advice, and didn't see how I could learn very much in therapy that would help me personally.

Instead, my therapist helped me to identify illogical and/or negative thinking patterns, find ways to apply CBT in a manner that worked for me, and per above helped me to realize that my depression and anxiety were potential side effects of being neurodivergent trying to live by neurotypical standards and expectations. You might have to try a few therapists before you find one that you click with (she was the second one I went to), plus the first 2-3 sessions might not feel super helpful because you need to build some rapport and trust - and they need to get to know you. But it is truly helpful if you stick with it! I'm happy to answer any questions about my experiences with therapy via PM (whether you are an event participant or just a lurker/supporter in heart).

Games I Recommend From My List For Part 1 - Game Exploring Mental Health/Illness:

• Journey (The game's journey can definitely be read as a metaphor for long-term struggle with depression, I 100% agree with what @Platinum_Vice said. However, the game itself is one of the most positive and uplifting videogame experiences I have ever had - especially with Auston Wintory's soundtrack - so it is a great choice for someone who is looking to avoid darker themes right now. Trophy list does not have a platinum, but there are a few co-op ones.)
  • Gris (The entire game is a beautiful metaphor for the 5 Stages of Grief. It's also a really easy platinum to get in about 5 hours, or less if you skip a blind run.)
  • Night in the Woods (I'll be vague to avoid spoilers, but many of the game's characters struggle with mental health in one way or another - whether they are a main character or an NPC that you talk to a couple of times. A lot of the game's dialogue is kind of goofy and quirky, but then there are moments where shit gets serious for a moment, and the dialogue feels so natural and realistic).

Games I Recommend From My List for Part 2 - Outdoors Bonus Theme:

• Abzû (A very serene, almost meditative experience, of underwater exploration as a scuba-diver. The environments also have beautiful lighting, so I didn't struggle with my mild videogame-specific thalassophobia.)
  • PowerWash Simulator (Perhaps an odd choice, but you powerwash stuff mostly in outdoor environments. 1f602.png I found it very calming and also somewhat meditative at times, with the repetitious gameplay that is simple but has surprising depth to its mechanics for what it is. Probably a good 40 hours to platinum, for those who care about that.)
  • Toem (You have a camera, and you take photos of things - outdoors - to help people out as you slowly make your way to your end destination. I normally love lots of color in my games, but the black and white aesthetic was perfect for this game. A cute and quirky game.)
  • Firewatch (You get to walk around a national state park as you keep an eye out for forest fires. You slowly learn about what brought your character to the wilderness for the summer as he talks with his radio operator and they slowly learn about each other. A mystery eventually emerges as well.)

My Games to Play:

Part 1 - Exploration of Mental Health/Illness:

This is kind of tough since people have already recommended several games from my backlog, haha. (Celeste, Chicory, Detroit: Become Human, Disco Elysium, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Life is Strange: True Colors, Oxenfree, Returnal, & What Remains of Edith Finch).

Ideally, I'd like a game that really digs into the mental health or mental illness aspect with some nuance either via narrative or via game mechanic. I'm kind of intrigued at using Returnal, since I wasn't aware that it was a good candidate for this event. Cassylvania's recent review of Detroit: Become Human has renewed my wanting to play that game as well. Then Disco Elysium is another thought, but part of me wants to try to pick a game that isn't already going to have a write-up done on it. Later tonight or tomorrow I'll go through the previous two years and see if anything from my backlog hasn't already been done (and save me from some indecisiveness, lmao).

Part 2 - Outdoors Bonus Theme:

I recently downloaded Sable onto my PS5 to tackle for another event. Since exploration seems to be a big aspect of the game I've kept myself mostly blind to it, but I know that the sand-gliding traversal mechanic is supposed to be a big part of the gameplay. If anyone who's played the game already can confirm that it would work for the bonus theme, that would be wonderful! If it would be a bit of a stretch, then please let me know, as I have many games in my backlog to pick from. 1f602.png

Yes please on the badge part! I'll PM you with some ideas next weekend and maybe you can get a jump on it (and hand them out as people complete them if you want! It may draw some new people to the event). This is a big relief for me too. I was stressing out a bit that I'd have to make them myself, and I'm not exactly an editing pro. xD

Also, thank you so much for sharing your story. I feel like the first year I hosted it, a lot of people shared their personal stories, and I think it really added to the awareness part of the event. It helps show that a lot of people deal with it on a daily basis, and we're likely unaware of others that struggle with their mental health (here in the community and in our lives outside of PSNP). I feel like that was really missing last year, and this year too. I know it takes a lot of courage to share that especially with how society as a whole views mental health as a "weakness." I'm from the Midwest too so I'm well aware of the views of mental health as a whole in the US and the lack of institutions (in fact, I mentioned early that the one in my city closed down over COVID). I do think it's getting better to an extent in terms of awareness, but I think we still have a ways to go.

I do force people to reflect on mental health and how it's portrayed in video games specifically for the awareness part so you were spot on! (I'm glad some understands my genius ;)).

I think games are an amazing media to help others understand mental health as games have that interactive piece to it. I recently played Doki Doki Literature Club, and it blew me away. The way mental health is portrayed in the game was very well done, and definitely adds to the awareness part of it. It forces you to pick a choice that hurts someone suffering from depression and is just so well done. You're absolutely oblivious to it (at least I was) and the signs were all there. I just can't imagine it being as impactful as a movie, book, short video, manga, etc.

Anyways, thanks again for participating and volunteering for badges!

• Like 3

Almost forgot about this, can't ruin the streak! Count me in, thanks for doing it yet again!

Also, some recommendations:

Neo: The World Ends With You

What Remains of Edith Finch

The Last of Us: Part II

Life is Strange

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Edited by GuitaristZag
Recs
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, s68sc said:

@Beyondthegrave07I choose The Caligula Effect because every single character has some sort of trauma and mental problem but I don't know if is good for this 

As long as it's thought provoking enough where you can explain what the characters are going through, it counts.

I'm very lenient on what counts because the point of the event is to get you to think about it and reflect on it so as long as you are doing that, I will count it. 

I just don't want people to be stretching and BS something to make it work. I've never seen anyone do this the past two years so you are probably okay. @GuitaristZag did something a little different last year, but his choice was due to his personal mental health benefits and shared his struggles and how the game helped him personally. 100% okay with that, but that's more of the exception than the general rule (I see you reading this... I still remember, haha). :P

My thoughts are if you are having a hard time typing up a paragraph because there's not much substance to it, then maybe it's best to use something else.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

As long as it's thought provoking enough where you can explain what the characters are going through, it counts.

I'm very lenient on what counts because the point of the event is to get you to think about it and reflect on it so as long as you are doing that, I will count it. 

So I've just done Gris, (I'll do a proper write up when the bonus game is done too,) but I though it didn't tackle mental health discussions nearly as well as many games that I've played. Is it okay to have my paragraph be sort of contrarian compared with other reviews and discuss why I didn't think think it was as good?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

So I've just done Gris, (I'll do a proper write up when the bonus game is done too,) but I though it didn't tackle mental health discussions nearly as well as many games that I've played. Is it okay to have my paragraph be sort of contrarian compared with other reviews and discuss why I didn't think think it was as good?

Yeah, I've seen people write up criticisms before. This is fine. It'll probably lead to some interesting discussion too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I just don't want people to be stretching and BS something to make it work. I've never seen anyone do this the past two years so you are probably okay. @GuitaristZag did something a little different last year, but his choice was due to his personal mental health benefits and shared his struggles and how the game helped him personally. 100% okay with that, but that's more of the exception than the general rule (I see you reading this... I still remember, haha). :P

My thoughts are if you are having a hard time typing up a paragraph because there's not much substance to it, then maybe it's best to use something else.

Honestly I'm touched that it made enough of an impact that you remember, lol.

Also, favorite tracks are Smell of the Game, Disaster of Passion, In the Name of Heaven, and Roar of the Spark.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 8:14 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Yes please on the badge part! I'll PM you with some ideas next weekend and maybe you can get a jump on it (and hand them out as people complete them if you want! It may draw some new people to the event). This is a big relief for me too. I was stressing out a bit that I'd have to make them myself, and I'm not exactly an editing pro. xD

Also, thank you so much for sharing your story. I feel like the first year I hosted it, a lot of people shared their personal stories, and I think it really added to the awareness part of the event. It helps show that a lot of people deal with it on a daily basis, and we're likely unaware of others that struggle with their mental health (here in the community and in our lives outside of PSNP). I feel like that was really missing last year, and this year too. I know it takes a lot of courage to share that especially with how society as a whole views mental health as a "weakness." I'm from the Midwest too so I'm well aware of the views of mental health as a whole in the US and the lack of institutions (in fact, I mentioned early that the one in my city closed down over COVID). I do think it's getting better to an extent in terms of awareness, but I think we still have a ways to go.

I do force people to reflect on mental health and how it's portrayed in video games specifically for the awareness part so you were spot on! (I'm glad some understands my genius ;)).

I think games are an amazing media to help others understand mental health as games have that interactive piece to it. I recently played Doki Doki Literature Club, and it blew me away. The way mental health is portrayed in the game was very well done, and definitely adds to the awareness part of it. It forces you to pick a choice that hurts someone suffering from depression and is just so well done. You're absolutely oblivious to it (at least I was) and the signs were all there. I just can't imagine it being as impactful as a movie, book, short video, manga, etc.

Anyways, thanks again for participating and volunteering for badges!

I've already got an idea for one detail, but I definitely do best with collaboration so I'm excited to discuss the badges further with you via PM! 

I'm glad that my story wasn't too long-winded and rambly... I looked at the length of my post when I was all done and almost reconsidered it, but felt it was important to highlight how helpful fundraising and awareness can be. Thanks for mentioning that the first year held a lot of stories - I went back and read through all of them. And hello, fellow Midwesterner! I'm from Michigan, aka "the Northern Midwest" aka "haters say we don't count as the Midwest", lol. I grew up in Metro-Detroit, and now I live in the western side of the state. It was truly shocking at first to see the monopoly that one medical group has over mental health services out here! It also doesn't help that they are literally called "[Medical Monopoly] Christian Mental Health Services" (even in their logo!), making it even more awkward for non-Christians or non-religious folk like myself.

Also! I'm delighted to see that no one has picked Returnal in previous years, so that will be my game! 

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

La5decb.png

Season: A Letter to the Future

So, I wasn't quite sure if this one would actually qualify for the main event here - the perils of committing to a game based on it's themes, before you know it's themes! - but playing it, two things became apparent.

(note-  these are unformed thoughts - I finished the game yesterday, and haven't done a real "review" yet!)

_________

Anyways, that's where I came out!

Possibly not the most apropos game for the event, in the end, but playing it as part of this event, and with this event in mind, it did at least stir up some thoughts along the way, and while I don't think I'd make the argument that Season" A Letter to the Future is deliberately aiming at PTSD and Trauma therapy as its central thesis, I do think it gets some of the way towards those ideas, by hook or by crook!

I've been curious about this game ever since I learned of it, so I really appreciated reading your initial impressions of it! Can't wait to read your full review and ranking when that's completed. ?

Also, I'd argue that the game is very appropriate for this event! I love games that approach mental health in a serious and complex way as a main theme. But sometimes I want to play something that deals with less heavy aspects of the topic, or deals with mental health but not as a primary theme. 

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In some sense, that is exactly the thesis of the game - that emotional memories can be a burden as well as a blessing, and being able to be selective about what we choose to remember of something is not just about rose-tinting the past, but is a necessary part of moving forward into a future. 

Your line right here makes me think that this game would be a great experience for anyone who is trying to move on from something - whether it be traumatic memories or the death of a loved one. It seems like it would provide some low-key catharsis without being very emotionally taxing.

• Like 3