Trophies for Mental Health III

26 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

It's a bank holiday today in the UK so I spent a whole bunch of the day getting the bonus game completed, and I'm now gonna rush my write up because I put garlic bread in the oven, using it as a timer, anyway the first game about mental health:

Gris (PS5) - (51.68%)

L12bfe8.png

So, Gris is a very aesthetically pretty platformer with a glorious soundtrack that you should absolutely consider playing it just for that. But this event demands that I talk about the mental health aspect of the game, and I have a few things that I want to say given the story.

Gris' story is non-verbal and uses symbolism to tell a story of a woman going through the five stages of grief and that's everything I can be 100% certain of. And that's my major problem with it, the story is deliberately designed to be open to interpretation which fuels discussion. But this the add on effect of leaving a story which either means everything and at the same time very little. If I were to guess the game is about depression, but without an interview I cannot be 100% sure. But even with a guess like that, it seems like the it can't fit because the resolution seemed to come to easily. Unless the shooting stars symbolised antidepressants, I couldn't tell you how they helped.

It's a matter of trying to symbolise to a lot of different mental health issues, which makes the story feel impersonal, there's no story of how the grief has ruined this persons life other than her feeling sad. I personally like stories that feel like someone had something profound to say.

Celeste's story was very personal, it taught breathing techniques and  it's symbolism told the story the character was going through. Gris only has the final part in my opinion.

So just as a final word on this games depiction of mental health, it's not that Gris says anything wrong or badly, the issue is that the game isn't brave enough to say much of anything at all. But at least it does it beautifully

Second game now for out door activities:

Sayonara Wild Hearts (EU) - (24.44%)

Le7476d.png

This one could also be used for the first game if I'm honest; Sayonara Wild Hearts is a rhythm runner game like Road 96 Mile 0 (which didn't cause me to buy this, but it did remind me that I hadn't bought Sayonara yet.)

Sayonara is about a heart broken woman who gains symbolic powers that leads her to travel and never stop, she skateboards, she boats, she drives a convertible in the desert, but she mostly uses the objectively coolest way to escape your problem: Motorbike. 

I'm gonna put some spoilers in this tab now:

Reveal hidden contents

The non-violence may not be evident by the trophy card, but in the end it's revealed that the bosses that you have been combating, were actually the protaganist's ex-girlfriends, and the protagnist must return their hearts to let them go so she can heal. No more battling, you win by kissing your opponents goodbye. 

Going out on the open road has always been very therapeutic for me, even though I can't drive. 

It is a lovely game with killer soundtrack, do play it.

Everyone buy it now, it's 20% off until Wednesday and I love this game with all my heart (and watching the views on my guide go up makes my ego swell)

It's an interesting take on Gris saying that it wasn't concrete enough. When I played it, I was able to figure out what was the crux of her grief by the end and it tied together pretty nicely to me. I do agree that it was a bit vague early on, but becomes clearer towards the end imo. Though, with a game with no words, I can definitely see how people could miss it.

I can drop it in a spoilers tag later if you want me to explain it. The trophies actually help understand it better too as it highlights the story and forces you to see the hidden ending. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

It's an interesting take on Gris saying that it wasn't concrete enough. When I played it, I was able to figure out what was the crux of her grief by the end and it tied together pretty nicely to me. I do agree that it was a bit vague early on, but becomes clearer towards the end imo. Though, with a game with no words, I can definitely see how people could miss it.

I can drop it in a spoilers tag later if you want me to explain it. The trophies actually help understand it better too as it highlights the story and forces you to see the hidden ending. 

When you mentioned the hidden ending, that did cause me to piece together the cause of the grief may be (Something happening to her mother), it's still a bit vague from what  can tell.

Only being able to understand the game after the fact is also one of my least preferred story telling techniques, there's a reason I've not played a single FNAF game.

I do welcome an explainer though :) 

1 hour ago, Fenrirfeather said:

I went back and forth and I don't think I'll have something to play this month to be participating but I figured that I at least want to show some appreciation for Grave's initiative here by suggesting a few games to play - possibly even after this month ends? I will mention the themes include that personally stood out to me but try not to spoil too much about the games in general. They also all happen to be developed by smol teams and don’t generally have a lot of players which I know are two things some people like for the extra incentive, so I included those details.

None of these games ever outright state that they include or focus on the topic of mental health/that they focus on a disorder and I find that manner of a more implicit presentation compelling. Although a less pathological portrayal might come with the risk that there will be players who walk away from a game without having had the realisation of the message what the game was trying to convey, that same approach might also be more accessible to a greater portion of players who struggle with very explicit mentions of mental health issues. 

If I find the time to really get immersed into a fitting game, I'll swing by and sign up. I got all of May up to the last day to complete the game then, if I understood it right?

Yuoni (by a 7 persons Japanese business, 645 owners registered on PSNP, the price is <20 EUR but slightly more in USD)

Yuoni is a Japanese adventure game/VN hybrid about the strange supernatural occurrences that befall a group of Japanese elementary school students whose circle of friendship is not what seems. The writing is light novel-esque simple, the gameplay clearly wasn't the focus of the game. It's a folklore horror themed game in which between the novel segments you play short games of hide and seek with a malevolent boy ghost named Tsun in a labyrinth of corridors and hallways. And while it's never explained or stated what it is that keeps main character Ai from speaking her mind in school as naturally as she can at home or in other situations, the inward narrative of Ai's struggles sounds much like the experience of those with selective mutism. 

There are a lot of other themes relating to the topic mental health that surround the central group of Ai's "friends" and that are presented through text and a few graphically minimalistic, Japanese voice-acted scenes (and I mention this to give a volume warning for these and a mild flash warning as the screen goes all white abruptly). Besides rabid school bullying, those other themes include familial disputes and abuse, dealing with forced gender stereotypes, loss of parents and growing up in a foster situation, neglect, mentions of wishing death upon another, mutilation (that is described and the result is pictured in one background artwork), a sibling struggle that involves gender based violence, gaslighting/social manipulative friendships, feelings of self doubt and low self worth. 

As an extra word of warning: many of the children characters in this story are on the receiving end of mistreatment but the image of the enduring victim withstanding their abuse with kindness is not quite to be found here. Depending on your expectations of how victims should act and behave in order to be acknowledged and aided by society, it's possible that you won't find it easy to sympathise with the short tales presented here.

Oneshot (group effort of maybe 3 persons, 344 owners on PSNP, <15 EUR) 

You're not a character in the game but you are playing the game together with Niko who has been whisked away to the strange and eerily dark plane where the two of you meet, without explanation or much guidance. Niko needs you, counts on your insight and troubleshooting but Niko is not without thoughts or opinions. There, it is quickly explained to the two of you that together, Niko and you are meant to save the world but reinstalling the light bulb which is this world's "sun".  

Oneshot is a puzzle exploration game with a unique cast of characters whose (for trophy progression insignificant dialogue) paints a bright and, despite the darkness, alive world of fleshed out personalities in a dying world. Which is surprising if you are aware of OneShot's origin as a free RPGMaker game. 

Oneshot, and by extension the developer(s), never outright point out the themes presented in the game but a few are more obvious than others. A loss of homeland, survival with reduced resources, the loss of family and friends during childhood, the monotony or loneliness of daily life, the effects and emotional despair of abandonment, familial troubles and loss of trust are some themes that you may be able to spot. 

And there's Niko who, separated from their family but bravely working alongside you, might have to bear a heavy burden. 

A Street Cat's Tale (tiny Korean indie dev who's just announced that they've disbanded, 281 owners, 5-10 EUR)

If you remember that this colourful pixel game represents the fate of many street cats, this game, despite its happy endings, is a sad portrayal of reality. Me the kitten (who is you) is stranded alone after Me's mother was involved in traffic accident and taken away. You must help Me survive on the streets but going from mere survival to living a life demands a lot more than just a full belly. It's a simulation game at heart but the mechanics are very easy to master and there's a full guide on steam. 

Both cat characters and humans have differing personalities and backgrounds, all presented in a simplified manner. The game has an explicit pet injury scene, neglect and animal death, denying the loss of (cat) parents, struggling to go on after loss at an old age, substance abuse (alcohol), bullying, a dog struggling having been abandoned and feeling unwanted, human characters who try to cope with loneliness. If you focus on the clearly very human presentation of the themes within not just the human characters but also within the cats, you might be able to appreciate what the indie developer tried to portray here. 

Both Lost Ember which tries to provide a narrative with a focus on severe dissociation after a row of emotionally and physically difficult experiences packed into a spiritual and animal packed plot and Ikai which is a pretty walking simulator that touches upon the themes of violence against women, forced marriage, murder and suicide (and arguably dissociation) also treat their respective topics with some subtly so that they would fit the "show but don't tell" narrative of hinting at mental illness rather than ever outright explaining what's going (to the point of possibly leaving the player confused).

No problem at all with just raw suggestions! It still shows interest in the event and draws eyes to the it which I can always get behind. ?

30 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Damn, not sure if it'd work for the event then. Thanks for replying :)

Yeah, the nonviolence rule applies to something like DMC or GoW trilogy or something like that. Where there is no side content and the time you spend outside is pretty much just violence or killing.

I'm looking for activities that improve mental health done outside in the game. Horseback riding is definitely included in that.

46 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Damn, not sure if it'd work for the event then. Thanks for replying :)

35 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

If Red Dead Redemption is allowed for the horseback riding, I'd assume this is too.

In Tchia you can spend a fair bit of time just sailing your raft around the various islands. Its pretty chill.

Edited by gruffiiti
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 4:06 PM, BeesTrophies said:

Sign me up ?

I've been a busy beaver and forgot to post my recommended games. 

Games I've played that I'd recommend based on the event:

• Detroit: Become Human
  • Erica
  • Gris
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 
  • In Sound Mind
  • Life is Strange: True Colors
  • Sea of Solitude
  • The Last of Us Part I/II
  • The Park
  • What Remains of Edith Finch

(I know I was suppose to do 3-5 but just wanted to give a good list in case someone is browsing for ideas)

I also want to thank @Beyondthegrave07 for once again hosting this. I know he is a constant advocate for mental health and charity work in general. As someone who struggles with anxiety and bipolar its comforting to know there are people out there continuing the conversation and awareness surrounding mental health.

Can't wait to see what everyone plays! 

• Like 3

Would love to sign up!

I might only be able to complete one or two games this month because i'm quite busy but i'll try my best! 

The games i'm going to try and complete:

Claire: deals with family issues and other things

Oxenfree: played it a long time ago and saw it recommended on here

Recommendations:

1. What Remains of Edith Finch: escapism, depression,... Very beautiful game with lots of stories to be told. 

2. Life is Strange (Before the Storm): grief, depression, loneliness,..

3.  Alice: Madness Returns:  a girl escaping into a fantasy world from a traumatic experience

• Like 2

I've realized I may have been overly ambitious in picking Returnal to complete in less than a month (from when I signed up). A third of the month has gone by now and the more I think on it, the more I realize there is a strong chance I'll need a lot more than 50h to platinum Returnal. A recent life event impacting some of my family means I might need to help them out on short notice a few times this month, and so the uncertainty around how much gaming time I'll have coupled with this month flying by and Returnal being a roguelike is starting to give me mild anxiety. I've not played a roguelike before, and my experience with roguelites is Hades - PSNP guide says 50h, I'm currently over 80h and will probably reach 100h by the time I platinum it. ?

Thus, I've decided that I will pick either Spiritfarer or Chicory as my Mental Health game. Though Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is also very tempting, despite already being written about a lot in the past two years here. I just need to agonize over this decision for a few more days and then I'll be fine, lol.

For my bonus Outdoors game, I might do Lost Ember instead of Sable.

• Like 2

I was wondering about the bonus game, could taking photos count as an activity? If so I may get the PS4 version of Bugsnax done since you're a reporter and while the main focus of the game is capturing Bugsnax you also do a lot of photography, I guess if it does then you could in a sense using Spiderman as well since part of that game is taking Photos for a trophy (you photo all different kind of places all around New York)

Edited by Sylvanticore

On 5/11/2023 at 9:48 PM, Sylvanticore said:

I was wondering about the bonus game, could taking photos count as an activity? If so I may get the PS4 version of Bugsnax done since you're a reporter and while the main focus of the game is capturing Bugsnax you also do a lot of photography, I guess if it does then you could in a sense using Spiderman as well since part of that game is taking Photos for a trophy (you photo all different kind of places all around New York)

I would say either is fine assuming the photography is outside.

• Like 2