Trophies for Mental Health III

For the bonus game:

I have only completed one game this month that would fit the requirements (and I`m not even 100% sure if it counts)

The game is

L091d02.png

Succubus

The game in it`s core, is all gore and edginess but there is a free climbing "minigame" (you push the buttons that are shown on screen to climb) to traverse the levels which could count as an outdoor activity and in the main hub area is an outdoor pool (of blood) for the succubus to relax (not much of an activity, but when I learned one thing from japanese media, then that bathing outdoors is one of the most relaxing things, that one could do).

I`m totally fine, if this doesn`t count for the bonus game, but I at least wanted to suggest it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, reaperveteran86 said:

For the bonus game:

I have only completed one game this month that would fit the requirements (and I`m not even 100% sure if it counts)

The game is

L091d02.png

Succubus

The game in it`s core, is all gore and edginess but there is a free climbing "minigame" (you push the buttons that are shown on screen to climb) to traverse the levels which could count as an outdoor activity and in the main hub area is an outdoor pool (of blood) for the succubus to relax (not much of an activity, but when I learned one thing from japanese media, then that bathing outdoors is one of the most relaxing things, that one could do).

I`m totally fine, if this doesn`t count for the bonus game, but I at least wanted to suggest it.

The free climbing is fine. I'll count it. The bonus is not meant to be hard or difficult to accomplish anyways.

10 hours ago, Jeanoltt said:

I know there isn't any character in Lake with mental health related problems, but that isn't important. Mental Health is not always a chronical problem. Sometimes it's in our lifestyle, the people, our decisions, being tired of our lifes, feeling we can do better. Discovering the bases of life itself. Don't you ever are stuck behind a screen and think, is that it? 

Lake it's life itself, the sad, the good, the joy in it.

Grave: that's not a mental health related problem.

Jean: You sure? I ALREADY DONATED THE MONEY YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOU- (Banned)

I actually think this is a good point (no ban for you). A lot of people usually choose games that are very upfront with mental health, but there's plenty of games that deal exactly what you're talking about.  Where it's more of the internal struggles in life and trying to find your place in the world. There's definitely a mental aspect to it.

I think Catherine is a perfect example of this. Where a man is at a crossroads in his life and struggling to find his footing for his next steps in life (pun intended). And honestly, if someone submitted the game to me like that and explained that struggle, I'd 100% accept it counting for the event. It's not always a chronic issue, and I think that's important to point out too because it can be like that in games too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GuitaristZag said:

Aaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddd- Here Goes:

So, since my last post a lot has honestly changed. I did continue the ADHD medication- I then realized it was making me irritable yet again, and more worryingly, actively suicidal. There were other factors, more on that in a sec- however, I later on experimented with briefly taking the medication, and can confirm it was a definite factor in both irritability and suicidal thoughts, thus, I completely discontinued it, and am, for now at least, leaving my ADHD untreated. Long story short, though better than after the rough breakup, I was still in a very dark place. In the fall, however, I took an Honors Seminar on wellness- a seminar I admittedly didn't buy into much at first, but figured it was worth a shot, as I had nothing to lose, and, I mean, probably an easy A. 

Wow- was I glad to be wrong (Also, the teacher is/was an absolute angel, and I love her to death.) Most notably, the class got me into meditation and keeping a gratitude journal, two things I now do daily (The former as my new years resolution- 5 minutes a day, only missed a couple days, though I plan to increase the time at some point, the latter since mid November- I recently passed a full 100 pages in my notes app for it.) It also helped me change my mindset, and get much better at discussing my feelings and emotions. Case in point, my final computer music project that fall was a 5 movement piece encapsulating the 5 stages of grief following my very rough breakup (the one discussed in the last post.) 

I was doing better, that class was a life saver (perhaps literally), but still in a bad place- then, in January, I was officially diagnosed with depression, and put on Prozac.

Holy crap, that stuff helps. A lot. And coupled with the meditation and gratitude, yeah, I still have awful days, and occasional issues, perhaps daily, but it's a process, and for the first time in years, I am actively happy to be alive. I truly am.

This semester, as in this spring, my piece dealt with said mental journey outlined in this post. I may be willing to (Temporarily) link to files of both pieces if there seems to be interest, I just have no desire to take away from the greater post or theme by forcing my work on anyone.

So, on to the games.

First, Sifu. The mental health connection is pretty clear- 

Reveal hidden contents

The achievement of Wude, and the true ending, which you get by letting go of your anger and sparing the five who killed your mentor. (And brutally slaughtering their henchmen with no remorse, but shhhh, don't go anti-TLOU 2 narrative on me now. I liked that game too.) This rings true for me, as not only have I learned to better control my anger and irritability, but to forgive, not only others, but myself, and am finally starting to learn to let go. So, though it may not tie to depression directly, guess who found another semi-loophole, Beyondthegrave07. Jokes aside- this just made sense, once I understood the plot and Wude. This was, in a small way, my own journey, a journey of letting go.

For the bonus badge, I did Before the Storm, for several reasons:

• It counts, no questions asked, there's no combat, at least physical combat, and you're outside for a ton of it.
  • I only had one trophy left due to a glitch in my initial playthru.
  • That initial playthru was done with my roommate, the one from my previous post who helped me so immensely mentally.
  • I truly identify with Chloe, even sampling her in the Spring project. Not always in the best way, but a lot of her character really rings true to me, especially the destructive ways she deals with her mental trauma, and her lashing out at others, while in reality, it coming at least partially from a place of hurt and fear. Also we both have dyed our hair blue, but that's besides the point. Probably.
  • The single chapter I had to do opens with her attending a DIY punk show- something I have recently really enjoyed doing, and I think I've found a new hobby, so it fits in yet another way.

I was on prozac for a long time, and coupled with other meds it's a life saver

I'm so happy for you! I know very well what it's like, and you're doing great! And I'll pray you will only get better and better! Life is beautiful, if we take the time to look ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Violino said:

I completely forgot to write up about the games I played with everything going on and I did them all lol.

Is it too late?

Nope, you can still submit it as long as it was finished in May. I'll give everyone until the end of the weekend.

Speaking of which... @Briste, you finish that bonus game? xD

• Like 1

I still need to add up how much I need to donate (and round up), but maybe I'll leave that to @Starrk_01 :P. Plan to take care of it this weekend or early next week. 

Thanks again for everyone who participated or even commented in the thread. The positive support from you all is what makes this event great. Don't forget that. 

• Like 2

Thanks so much, everyone! ?

The community in this corner of the site is absolutely incredible, and I'm happy to be able to contribute back to it. 

And yes, I deliberately uploaded the artwork at a larger size (500x500 pixels) so that it would have a nice resolution at whatever size people set it to. There's nothing worse to me than blurry rasterized images. ? They're set to 150x150 in my post, for those who are curious. 

• Like 4