Help an artist out with your gaming knowledge

ArtMontef

8 hours ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

If the purpose is to combat the perception that gaming lacks great female characters and that the medium isn't full of characters that serve as male fantasies then around half those characters should be axed and it'd be more fitting for Samus to be in her iconic Power Suit, not the Zero Suit that has like 30 minutes of playtime and may give people a false impression of the character.

Otherwise it's inadvertently proving the criticism right and holding video games to a lower standard.

Creating a list of great characters is always going to come into conflict with characters that are iconic and beloved. A lot of characters that are considered great by gamers, don't really compare to great characters from other mediums.

It doesn't even mean those characters are bad, but it doesn't do video games any favors if one person lists off Siobhan Roy, Selina Myers, Kim Wexler, Diane Nguyen, Claire Fisher, Fleabag, and Nora Durst as examples of great TV characters and then another lists Princess Peach, Princess Zelda, Shantae, Marie, Chun-Li, Jynx, and Samus Aran as example of great video game characters.

By the way, that's not a criticism of anyone for liking such characters or those mentioned by others here, I like a lot of them too. Just my take on how to approach the notion that video games are lacking in great characters, particularly women. 

For my character suggestions.

Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic II

293435-kreia-art.jpg

Bree from Boreal Tenebrae

Boreal-Tenebrae.png

Mae from Night in the Woods

night-in-the-woods-mae-1.png

Saddie Adler from Red Dead Redemption 2

Sadie-1907.png

Heather Mason from Silent Hill 3

MV5-BM2-Yx-N2-Fk-OGEt-Ym-Rm-My00-Zjdl-LT

Min from Butterfly Soup

Min-seo-Fullbody-BS1-1.png

Marissa Marcel from Immortality

TELEMMGLPICT000309242427-trans-Nv-BQz-QN

Morgana from the The House in Fate Morgana

9d3738f868c90e9155440dabb64ad19b.png

Karen Reynolds from Life is Strange 2

Karen-Headshot-E5.png

Klaasje from Disco Elysium

Portrait-klaasje.png

Samantha Greenbriar from Gone Home

2539837-gonehome-2013-09-03-09-0.png

Ophelia from Elsinore

elsinore.jpg

I may have also kinda mistype when writing the post. It's not meant to showcase just the non sexualized characters. It's meant to show how huge the variety of female characters in gaming is, because there is STILL alot discussion online about female characters being only eye candy. And sure, those are there too, and controversially I think they have their place too. Completely girlish/pink/damsel in distress? Sure, princess peach. Completely non sexualized and capable? Sure, Ellie from TLOU. Capable, but also sexy and confident in her body? Sure, Bayonetta. Just regular teen that is not a hero? Sure, Max from LiS, Cheryl Mason or Clementine. 

It's not some sort of feminist manifesto here lol. It's to showcase how varied the options are. How many personalities, backgrounds, races, ages. Also, to pick the most famous ones too, some might be generic and similar to eachother, but they were important in huge franchises.

You seem to kinda took your own values and put here. Admittedly, I don't consume alot of TV media, but I cannot recognize any name you mentioned. If you asked me I would pick like Daenerys from GoT, girls from friends, tons of other sitcoms (in the 90s every girl wanted to have hairstyle like girls from friends). 

I am picking them based on their impact on pop culture/my own bias (hence why I broke my own rule of one per franchise for Persona- I have Marie and Sumi here), based on how cool and unique their design is just from artistic perspective. 

I genuinely appreciate you taking your time and type your response, especially since you took time to add visual guide as well. But to be honest only 3 from your list would fit my criteria, Kreia, Saddie and Heather Mason. On the simple fact that they are the only ones recognizable enough. When I finish the piece I would like around 50-60 of girls there and I would hope typical gamer that consumes alot of gaming media would recognize maybe 70-80% of them.

The second thing being I think we might have different opinions what makes good character ;) You said with sarcasm that my list has characters like Zelda, Marie, Princess Peach or Shantae. Why Zelda? She is one of the most important characters in the gaming history, period, also she is fantastically written in TOTK imo. Marie? She has super cool punk design. Princess Peach? I mean, come on, one of the most famous characters ever, not even in gaming. Shantae? Her series was crucial during platformer boom, also one of first non white female protagonists  

• Like 3

You already have Yenn and I know you're looking to just do 1 from each series, but either Ciri or Triss would be great for this as well. Triss obviously has to have her hair as the accent colour, and for Ciri could have green like when she uses her powers.

Also @Abby_TheLastofUs, why not suggest Abby? I think she'd be a good fit for your point of not being the typical male fantasy woman, while still being a capable, strong character. I actually ended up preferring her to Ellie by the end of TLOU 2.

PS. Your artstyle is fantastic! Kassandra, Chun-Li and Clementine all look amazing in particular. Keep up the brilliant work!

6 hours ago, ArtMontef said:

I may have also kinda mistype when writing the post. It's not meant to showcase just the non sexualized characters. It's meant to show how huge the variety of female characters in gaming is, because there is STILL alot discussion online about female characters being only eye candy. And sure, those are there too, and controversially I think they have their place too. Completely girlish/pink/damsel in distress? Sure, princess peach. Completely non sexualized and capable? Sure, Ellie from TLOU. Capable, but also sexy and confident in her body? Sure, Bayonetta. Just regular teen that is not a hero? Sure, Max from LiS, Cheryl Mason or Clementine. 

It's not some sort of feminist manifesto here lol. It's to showcase how varied the options are. How many personalities, backgrounds, races, ages. Also, to pick the most famous ones too, some might be generic and similar to eachother, but they were important in huge franchises.

You seem to kinda took your own values and put here. Admittedly, I don't consume alot of TV media, but I cannot recognize any name you mentioned. If you asked me I would pick like Daenerys from GoT, girls from friends, tons of other sitcoms (in the 90s every girl wanted to have hairstyle like girls from friends). 

I am picking them based on their impact on pop culture/my own bias (hence why I broke my own rule of one per franchise for Persona- I have Marie and Sumi here), based on how cool and unique their design is just from artistic perspective. 

I genuinely appreciate you taking your time and type your response, especially since you took time to add visual guide as well. But to be honest only 3 from your list would fit my criteria, Kreia, Saddie and Heather Mason. On the simple fact that they are the only ones recognizable enough. When I finish the piece I would like around 50-60 of girls there and I would hope typical gamer that consumes alot of gaming media would recognize maybe 70-80% of them.

The second thing being I think we might have different opinions what makes good character ;) You said with sarcasm that my list has characters like Zelda, Marie, Princess Peach or Shantae. Why Zelda? She is one of the most important characters in the gaming history, period, also she is fantastically written in TOTK imo. Marie? She has super cool punk design. Princess Peach? I mean, come on, one of the most famous characters ever, not even in gaming. Shantae? Her series was crucial during platformer boom, also one of first non white female protagonists  

Yeah, it was the classifying the characters as "great" that threw me off. 

When I think of great characters I think of well written characters, so having a cool design, being iconic, historically important to the medium or extremely popular are non-factors when I think of what makes a character great, with the exception of how the design works alongside the writing.

It wasn't sarcasm, but to point to the gulf in quality between great TV characters and great video game characters since I thought the project was an attempt to push back against the notion that games lacked great female characters, and as I said, when I think of great I think of well written. If it was specifically about video games then the assumption is that people with that belief would think other mediums had plenty of great female characters, hence the examples I listed.

To use another medium in place of video games to clear my point, it's like if someone said comic books lacked great female characters and someone responded by listing a bunch of women from superhero comics (Wonder Woman, Lois Lane, Captain Marvel, etc) to prove them wrong. Rather than rebuke the claim, it only reinforces it, because the great characters from TV are of such a higher writing quality. It makes comics look juvenile in comparison.

If the intention is to showcase a variety of characters from video games for a variety of reasons (being iconic, popular, well written, groundbreaking in terms of representation, having a striking design, etc) then my last post doesn't really apply because it looks like I misunderstood the purpose of the project.

If I'm understand correctly, it's meant to be a celebration of women in video games, and not a rebuttal to a criticism of video games.

These suggestions might fit better with what you're looking for. They are all from popular/notable/important franchises and haven't been mentioned yet.

Kid from Chrono Cross

Maya Fey from Ace Attorney

Alyx Vance from Half-Life

Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark

Faith from Mirror's Edge

Shodan from System Shock

King from Art of Fighting/King of Fighters

The Boss from Metal Gear Solid

Bianca from Dragon Quest

Edelgard from Fire Emblem

Isabelle from Animal Crossing

Morrigan from Dragon Age

Amaterasu from Okami

Alex from Minecraft

Amy Rose from Sonic the Hedgehog

test.png

6 hours ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Also @Abby_TheLastofUs, why not suggest Abby? I think she'd be a good fit for your point of not being the typical male fantasy woman, while still being a capable, strong character. I actually ended up preferring her to Ellie by the end of TLOU 2.

I was listing characters I consider well written and while I adore Abby's design, I don't think the characters in The Last of Us series are all that well written. I'm of the opinion that those characters are carried hard by the performances of the actors.

But if the project is to highlight a variety of characters that appear in video games then yeah, I think it would be unfortunate to omit her.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 2

Great art! My suggestion would be Ling Xiaoyu from Tekken as the series isn't represented yet in the pieces you showcased. Accent color could be orange perhaps. Xiaoyu has been in Tekken for a long time. She could be a nice and fresh addition as her appearance doesn't reflect the usual femme fatale type as strongly as for example Nina or Anna Williams who have been series staples as well.

Cool art. I like the theme, and the choice to represent each one with a signature colour.

Nice that Aya Brea has been mentioned already. As well as Claire Redfield and Jill Valentine.

Just a couple badass female characters I'd list, both of whom have been mentioned earlier once, but still:

The Boss from MGS3. Strong physically and ideologically. Kicks everyone's shit and then changes the way you view the world. Among the Metal Gear women, she must be the most iconic, ahead of Meryl, IMO. In terms of signature colour, it's hard to say, besides the light yellow for her blond hair, there's nothing else really.

tumblr_mr4uy43q3n1sa4t9k7f.gif

Jade from Beyond Good & Evil. Strong and fearless. Where the situation gets progressively more terrifying, she doesn't stop to deliver the truth to the world. Also, look at her protecting the kids. Her colour is obvious as her eyes, her lips, and her entire outfit are green, not to mention the name. Certainly not as well know and iconic as Lara Croft, but she's made her name as a cult classic heroine for sure.

a86176600ee0bb97c0419df9cb9edc72a80c5474

• Like 1

On 14.07.2023 at 0:34 PM, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Yeah, it was the classifying the characters as "great" that threw me off. 

When I think of great characters I think of well written characters, so having a cool design, being iconic, historically important to the medium or extremely popular are non-factors when I think of what makes a character great, with the exception of how the design works alongside the writing.

It wasn't sarcasm, but to point to the gulf in quality between great TV characters and great video game characters since I thought the project was an attempt to push back against the notion that games lacked great female characters, and as I said, when I think of great I think of well written. If it was specifically about video games then the assumption is that people with that belief would think other mediums had plenty of great female characters, hence the examples I listed.

To use another medium in place of video games to clear my point, it's like if someone said comic books lacked great female characters and someone responded by listing a bunch of women from superhero comics (Wonder Woman, Lois Lane, Captain Marvel, etc) to prove them wrong. Rather than rebuke the claim, it only reinforces it, because the great characters from TV are of such a higher writing quality. It makes comics look juvenile in comparison.

If the intention is to showcase a variety of characters from video games for a variety of reasons (being iconic, popular, well written, groundbreaking in terms of representation, having a striking design, etc) then my last post doesn't really apply because it looks like I misunderstood the purpose of the project.

If I'm understand correctly, it's meant to be a celebration of women in video games, and not a rebuttal to a criticism of video games.

These suggestions might fit better with what you're looking for. They are all from popular/notable/important franchises and haven't been mentioned yet.

Kid from Chrono Cross

Maya Fey from Ace Attorney

Alyx Vance from Half-Life

Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark

Faith from Mirror's Edge

Shodan from System Shock

King from Art of Fighting/King of Fighters

The Boss from Metal Gear Solid

Bianca from Dragon Quest

Edelgard from Fire Emblem

Isabelle from Animal Crossing

Morrigan from Dragon Age

Amaterasu from Okami

Alex from Minecraft

Amy Rose from Sonic the Hedgehog

test.png

I was listing characters I consider well written and while I adore Abby's design, I don't think the characters in The Last of Us series are all that well written. I'm of the opinion that those characters are carried hard by the performances of the actors.

But if the project is to highlight a variety of characters that appear in video games then yeah, I think it would be unfortunate to omit her.

On 14.07.2023 at 0:57 PM, Eyjabria said:

Great art! My suggestion would be Ling Xiaoyu from Tekken as the series isn't represented yet in the pieces you showcased. Accent color could be orange perhaps. Xiaoyu has been in Tekken for a long time. She could be a nice and fresh addition as her appearance doesn't reflect the usual femme fatale type as strongly as for example Nina or Anna Williams who have been series staples as well.

On 14.07.2023 at 1:55 PM, kenseizenkai said:

On 14.07.2023 at 7:08 PM, Gigafalcospamer7 said:

I really like your art style for this project. Here are a few more suggestions:

Talim from Soulcalibur
Cortana from Halo
Mistral from Metal Gear Rising
Aveline from Assassins Creed
Jody Summer from F-ZERO
Nicole from Dead Space
Chloe Frazer from Uncharted

Alma Wade from F.E.A.R.

3 hours ago, Slava said:

Cool art. I like the theme, and the choice to represent each one with a signature colour.

Nice that Aya Brea has been mentioned already. As well as Claire Redfield and Jill Valentine.

Just a couple badass female characters I'd list, both of whom have been mentioned earlier once, but still:

The Boss from MGS3. Strong physically and ideologically. Kicks everyone's shit and then changes the way you view the world. Among the Metal Gear women, she must be the most iconic, ahead of Meryl, IMO. In terms of signature colour, it's hard to say, besides the light yellow for her blond hair, there's nothing else really.

tumblr_mr4uy43q3n1sa4t9k7f.gif

Jade from Beyond Good & Evil. Strong and fearless. Where the situation gets progressively more terrifying, she doesn't stop to deliver the truth to the world. Also, look at her protecting the kids. Her colour is obvious as her eyes, her lips, and her entire outfit are green, not to mention the name. Certainly not as well know and iconic as Lara Croft, but she's made her name as a cult classic heroine for sure.

a86176600ee0bb97c0419df9cb9edc72a80c5474

Thank you guys alot, all of those are great suggestions :) 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:46 PM, ArtMontef said:

Hey there, so I'm an artist that had kinda crazy idea. I feel in so many cases people whine about female characters portrayals in gaming, you know, typical "male fantasy" bs.

But I think we already have tons of great women in gaming, from all sorts of backgrounds, genres, ages, etc. So I started doing a series that showcases alot of cool characters in video games, each portrait being black and white and one accent color. Characters I pick are generally either favorites of mine, important in gaming history, have cool designs or are immensely popular online. I try to limit it to 1 per game, because I do this series in between commissions and don't have enough time to do like 10 characters from street fighter lol. 

Here are the girls I have finished so far:

creativity-16-down-Probably-like-48-to-go-lol-I-ll-be-done-with-this-20-years-Video-game-girls-series-Kasumi

Seeing how we are on strictly gaming forum with tons of us absolutely dedicating our lives to gaming, I thought I'd ask you guys for suggestions :) If you have an idea and good accent color for her, drop a suggestion!

Also you get bonus points if you recognize all the girls.

I def don't recognize all of them xD. This is awesome tho. As a big Sly Cooper fan, i'd love to see Carmelita Fox, and for the one color i would say her blue hair + clothes

• Like 1

I LOVE your work. Really great execution. Can I follow your work anywhere else? 

Anyways, here's some other ideas, mainly indies, hope it gives you some inspiration. Keep up the great work 

Kyoko or Misako from River City Girls

Megara from Hades

Claire Redfield from Resident Evil 2

Kena

Sayonara Wild Hearts protagonist

Kaze from Kaze and the Wild Mafia

Ms. Pac-Man

Kara Hassan from Rollerdrome

Magik from Marvel's Midnight Suns 

Tostada from Guacamelee

Jesse from Control

Miss Chalice from Cuphead

April O'Neal from TMNT

Jenn from Young Souls

Sister Semilla from Minoria

The girl from Gris

18 hours ago, The_Trophy_Guru said:

I def don't recognize all of them xD. This is awesome tho. As a big Sly Cooper fan, i'd love to see Carmelita Fox, and for the one color i would say her blue hair + clothes

17 hours ago, TheArtfulDimond said:

I LOVE your work. Really great execution. Can I follow your work anywhere else? 

Anyways, here's some other ideas, mainly indies, hope it gives you some inspiration. Keep up the great work 

Kyoko or Misako from River City Girls

Megara from Hades

Claire Redfield from Resident Evil 2

Kena

Sayonara Wild Hearts protagonist

Kaze from Kaze and the Wild Mafia

Ms. Pac-Man

Kara Hassan from Rollerdrome

Magik from Marvel's Midnight Suns 

Tostada from Guacamelee

Jesse from Control

Miss Chalice from Cuphead

April O'Neal from TMNT

Jenn from Young Souls

Sister Semilla from Minoria

The girl from Gris

Thank you guys!

Also @TheArtfulDimond you are way too kind! I'll shoot you a private message with links to my socials, because I don't want to turn it into self promote thing lol

Wilbell Voll Ersleid from Atelier: https://cdn-eu.anidb.net/images/main/151175.jpg

Jill Stingray from V11-HA-LA https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/199676059311552431/D222AF3FDAF53114A71D9C62050CB567FEEB42EA/?imw=1024&imh=1019&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Eltnum from Undernight In-Birth / Melty Blood https://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters5/eltnum.html

there are many many many more from Anime Adaption Video Games. But it seems we only searching more or less from Video Game Heroines. So this will be it for now. There are still many left.

14 hours ago, Meikoro said:

Wilbell Voll Ersleid from Atelier: https://cdn-eu.anidb.net/images/main/151175.jpg

Jill Stingray from V11-HA-LA https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/199676059311552431/D222AF3FDAF53114A71D9C62050CB567FEEB42EA/?imw=1024&imh=1019&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Eltnum from Undernight In-Birth / Melty Blood https://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters5/eltnum.html

there are many many many more from Anime Adaption Video Games. But it seems we only searching more or less from Video Game Heroines. So this will be it for now. There are still many left.

I am not fully sold on characters that did not originate from the games themselves yet. I might consider it, but for now I think I will focus on strictly well known gaming characters and maybe move further with more obscure characters later :) Same issue, I got recommendation of Black Cat and Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn, but I don't think when people think of those they necessarily think of gaming

1 hour ago, ArtMontef said:

I am not fully sold on characters that did not originate from the games themselves yet. I might consider it, but for now I think I will focus on strictly well known gaming characters and maybe move further with more obscure characters later :) Same issue, I got recommendation of Black Cat and Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn, but I don't think when people think of those they necessarily think of gaming

Of course you should go with the popular and from Games only Characters first. I think there allready mention enough for now. Great work by the Way :)

• Like 1

Lightning from FFXIII

Freya Crescent from FFIX

Lady from the Devil May Cry series

Amy Rose or Blaze or Rouge the Bat from the Sonic series

Aqua from the Kingdom Hearts series

Coco Bandicoot from the Crash Bandicoot series

Filia from Skullgirls

Shanoa from the Castlevania series

Alia from the Megaman X series

Miriam from the Bloodstained series

Lilac from the Freedom Planet series

Hello Kitty from Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue :P

Edited by LilIelaps
  • Like 1

Whoops double post.

Madeline from Celeste

J.J. Macfield from The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories

Aya Brea from the Parasite Eve series

Bridget from the Guilty Gear series

Poison from Final Fight

Arizona from Them's Fightin' Herds

Claire Redfield and Jill Valentine from the Resident Evil series, good picks from less prominent characters are also Rebecca Chambers and Sheva Alomar

Franziska von Karma from the Ace Attorney series

Sophitia from the Soulcalibur series

Morrigan from the Darkstalkers series

Elora from the Spyro the Dragon series

Lammy and Katy Kat from the PaRappa the Rapper/UmJammer Lammy series

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LilIelaps said:

Lightning from FFXIII

Freya Crescent from FFIX

Lady from the Devil May Cry series

Amy Rose or Blaze or Rouge the Bat from the Sonic series

Aqua from the Kingdom Hearts series

Coco Bandicoot from the Crash Bandicoot series

Filia from Skullgirls

Shanoa from the Castlevania series

Alia from the Megaman X series

Miriam from the Bloodstained series

Lilac from the Freedom Planet series

Hello Kitty from Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue :P

14 hours ago, LilIelaps said:

Whoops double post.

Madeline from Celeste

J.J. Macfield from The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories

Aya Brea from the Parasite Eve series

Bridget from the Guilty Gear series

Poison from Final Fight

Arizona from Them's Fightin' Herds

Claire Redfield and Jill Valentine from the Resident Evil series, good picks from less prominent characters are also Rebecca Chambers and Sheva Alomar

Franziska von Karma from the Ace Attorney series

Sophitia from the Soulcalibur series

Morrigan from the Darkstalkers series

Elora from the Spyro the Dragon series

Lammy and Katy Kat from the PaRappa the Rapper/UmJammer Lammy series

Thanks alot! I haven't thought of adding a girl from Skullgirls or Megaman before, definitely considering those. Alot of others are already on my list :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd definitely love to see Faith from Mirror's Edge with red as the color. She's got red gloves and shoes, and she's also got a red bag strap in the second game. Red is a really important color all throughout the game too, so that would be cool

Jesse from Control would also be cool too, also a lot of red in that game

Either way these are awesome, well done! :D

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Extraordinary 1f44f.png

Just now, BlindMango said:

I'd definitely love to see Faith from Mirror's Edge with red as the color. Maybe with her red glove held up close to her face, and she's also got a red bag strap in the second game. Red is a really important color all throughout the game too, so that would be cool

Jesse from Control would also be cool too

Either way these are awesome, well done! :D

Thank you guys! And alot of people suggested both Faith and Jesse, Jesse is 100% set in stone, Faith is high on the uncertain list, but alot of people wanted me to include her, so I might have to bump her

• Like 2

I love the art, especially Kat ?.  And I'm looking forward to Marina, love that Octoling ?.

But my your inclusion of Toadette has sent me spiralling

Not demanding you delete her of course (especially when she's as adorable as that), just some fun fungus facts.