Is it alright to put my PS4 in rest mode for a week?

ZekkenAlter

So I'm trying to attempt the 7day Survivor but I can't do it one sitting since I got work. So what I'm planning is after going home from work, I'll play for two hours and then put my PS4 in Rest Mode and then repeat the same day. Is it alright for the PS4 to stay in rest mode for a long period of time. Won't it overheat since there's a game running in the background although it is in Rest Mode. And would it endure being in Rest Mode for at least a week I guess?

You should be fine, Rest mode uses like 1/15th of the power (I believe like 10watts instead of 150 in full play) so it is pretty much like a big TV on stand-by.

No real issues with overheating imo, just to be sure don't keep it in a cupboard but leave it in open space. 

I don't believe the disc is running either, never heard it doing so, so I'd be fine leaving it on rest

There's a risk of data corruption if the power is cut at a time it's doing some background work. I used to leave my system on rest mode all the time until we had a lightning storm and when I booted it back up it had to rebuild the database.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Damn son...

...your refrigerator must smell nasty 1f61c.png

It's a little funky, but I don't have to worry about my dairy products corrupting.

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 2

You'll be completely fine. I have no idea where people got it in their heads that Rest Mode is a bad feature to use...does shit happen? Sure. But it's not common at all. These machines are built with the idea of using rest mode so that it can charge controllers and work updates in the background. 

While I've moved on to the PS5 these days, I use rest mode almost exclusively. And when I was on PS4 for 6 years consistently before that I used rest mode almost exclusively. Zero issues other than needing to restart the console after a few months to refresh the cache (just like a computer). 

The only thing here is that I don't know if a trophy like this works in this way. When you suspend a game, it's still turned off, the feature just collected a certain amount of data so it knows to restore at that exact point when you turn the console back on. So since the console is still in a low power off state, it's not usually recording any play data. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

the OP didn't ask you personally if you use it or not. OP asked if it's safe or not lol

qm6zcks.gif

It's mostly safe, but the outlying issues aren't worth using the feature. Ever.

There, I answered OP's question and made you feel temporarily validated on an internet forum.

27 minutes ago, Viper said:

You'll be completely fine. I have no idea where people got it in their heads that Rest Mode is a bad feature to use...does shit happen? Sure. But it's not common at all. These machines are built with the idea of using rest mode so that it can charge controllers and work updates in the background. 

While I've moved on to the PS5 these days, I use rest mode almost exclusively. And when I was on PS4 for 6 years consistently before that I used rest mode almost exclusively. Zero issues other than needing to restart the console after a few months to refresh the cache (just like a computer). 

The only thing here is that I don't know if a trophy like this works in this way. When you suspend a game, it's still turned off, the feature just collected a certain amount of data so it knows to restore at that exact point when you turn the console back on. So since the console is still in a low power off state, it's not usually recording any play data. 

It's actually better for the console long term to use rest mode rather than turning it off fully each time. Silly to avoid rest mode IMO

2 minutes ago, ChibsSoA said:

It's actually better for the console long term to use rest mode rather than turning it off fully each time. Silly to avoid rest mode IMO

you're missing the point, the question isn't about whether safe mode is a viable feature, he's talking about doing a no save 1 life trophy that takes 10 hrs to do, and plans to continuously suspend a unoptimised game for a full week hoping he won't crash once. 

i've had stable games crash the moment i turn the console on and try to enter/buffer a new area, for a game initially built for 360 then much later ported over I wouldn't waste my free time during a working week on shenanigans like this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

you're missing the point, the question isn't about whether safe mode is a viable feature, he's talking about doing a no save 1 life trophy that takes 10 hrs to do, and plans to continuously suspend a unoptimised game for a full week hoping he won't crash once. 

i've had stable games crash the moment i turn the console on and try to enter/buffer a new area, for a game initially built for 360 then much later ported over I wouldn't waste my free time during a working week on shenanigans like this. 

You're right, I kind of misread their question. You just see people saying "REST MODE IS TEH DEVIL!" so often since 2013, it's just easy to jump to that response. 

This is more to do with the suspend feature...which I have used before, but I don't use often as I tend to just save and close my games out when I'm done playing (then go into rest mode). I'll admit, I have had issues with Suspend in the past, where the game is just frozen when I go back to it. And I've never attempted suspending a game on and off for a week. But I feel like my point still stands...can shit happen? Sure. But it's not saying it WILL happen. Now about the console overheating and all that, again the disc isn't running at all times, the game is still in a low powered off state, it just returns to where you left off.

Now I'm not going to pretend to know exactly how the feature works...but if I had to guess, like a computer using Quick Resume (when you use Shut Down vs. Restart), it collects data and stores it in the cache, then when it's time to resume that cache data is used to bring it back up instantly (rather than a restart that dumps the data completely for fresh cache start). Therefore if the suspend feature is working in this manner as well, then you're likely going to have your PS4 restoring the same cache data every day for a week, which on paper isn't exactly a bad thing, and you'll likely be fine. But again, anything could happen. If for nothing else, you do this and it works...then you just showed everyone it does, and for better or worse...yay Science!

The station only clears the cache when you keep the machine unplugged or manually do it yourself via the safe menu. the problem is that suspending games causes memory leaks, which cause crashes. and dead rising is an unoptimised mess which crashes without any help anyway. 

10/10 times when u forget and a game is suspended and it crashes it won't stick with you because you just load the game up and maybe do 2 minutes again, but for this particular trophy your wasting hrs and days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

qm6zcks.gif

It's mostly safe, but the outlying issues aren't worth using the feature. Ever.

There, I answered OP's question and made you feel temporarily validated on an internet forum.

Slightly off topic, but why not use a battery back up? Then not only can you use rest mode, but you'll be ok in case of a power outage.

On topic, my system has been either in use or rest mode practically since I got it.

8 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

You might run into problems with that particular game since its loaded with bugs and is poorly optimised, with rest mode and constantly leaving the same game suspended over and over just increases the chances of crashing or memory leaks. best bet would be smash it over a weekend. 

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. I actually started yesterday Wednesday and then continue it until Friday. I'll do the remaining hours on my weekend in my dayoff. I also can't play straight for hours since I need to go to the gym to maintain my health and I have church on Sundays. Maximum I can manage in one sitting is around 8 hours for now since I already have other responsibilities inside the house.

I’m always a bit surprised at how many people seemingly don’t use rest mode at all or are afraid to do so. I’ve had a PS4 for 4 or 5 years now and I literally don’t think I’ve ever turned it off once, excluding the occasional power outage or something out of my control. My console is always in rest mode with a game suspended and I’ve had it languish in rest mode purgatory for upwards of 2 weeks at a time when I couldn’t get online, and everything was just fine. I can’t ever recall coming back to a frozen game or having a game glitch out and crash on me shortly after resuming a session.

There are tons of benefits to rest mode as well — things like system updates and game installations can be set to download during rest mode so you don’t have to waste time dealing with this stuff when you’re online. Automatic cloud saves can be enabled so your latest up-to-date save files are immediately uploaded to the cloud as soon as your console rests, not to mention your controllers are recharged and ready to go when you resume your session later.

In the case of no save, one life trophies, every game is going to be different and I can’t speak for Dead Rising, but I utilized rest mode many times recently for Mein leben runs in Wolfenstein 2 and never had any crashes or problems when resuming a session the next day.

tl;dr Rest mode is the tits