Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster (PS5/PS4/XBS/XBONE/PC/Switch | February 28, 2024)

30 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Wow i remember playing this on like windows 95 as a kid lmao. If it goes on sale I'd pick it up because i don't recall ever finishing the game. lol.

Same here. I got to this one level early on but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to finish it so I gave up and uninstalled it.

This game just looks super familiar to me. I must have seen my cousin who was an old school computer gamer around the time this released play it. I wasn't quite old enough when it released to fully be able to play it with any skill, but it's super cool they keep bringing back these classics. A lot of them have held in terms of gameplay at least.

Yeah this looks super familiar to me too. However, while I've never been a PC gamer...I'm old enough to where we were getting computers in some class rooms starting in my middle school years and was considered this amazing thing at the time. In 8th grade, we had a class where the teacher just didn't do anything and just let us play on the computers (those old multicolored iMacs)...and thats where I discovered some PC classics like your Doom's, Quakes and Wolfensteins and several others...this might have been one of them. So they were never anything I put extensive time into, but it was enough to experience them before I went home to my PS1 lol. 

Christ, this takes me back...

Dark Forces was one of the games that came with my PS1 when I got it on my 8th birthday. Was never any good at the game and only ever played it with the cheats before trading it in. I'm up for giving it another go at some point so I'll keep an eye on this.

Do appreciate the work that Nightdive Studios does though in terms of video game preservation. 

On 8/24/2023 at 1:02 AM, Redgrave said:

Now I'm just waiting for The Force Unleashed remasters.

Sadly after the acquisition by Disney many projects of LucasArts were cancelled among them The Force Unleashed 3 now for a remaster of the other games you never know with Disney.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Void said:

At least the first game but included all the of the "Original Trilogy" What If's. 

I never played this game since it is in first person, give us a Third person option and I might buy it.

I would take both of them even if The Force Unleashed II isn't as good. Granted, it was rushed.

Just now, ASMODAIOS344 said:

Sadly after the acquisition by Disney many projects of LucasArts were cancelled among them The Force Unleashed 3 now for a remaster of the other games you never know with Disney.

They did port the Wii version (I believe that's the one) to the Switch so I would hope they would port the PS3/360 version to PS4/5. Plus we also got Republic Commando which was originally only an Xbox and PC game.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Redgrave said:

I would take both of them even if The Force Unleashed II isn't as good. Granted, it was rushed.

They did port the Wii version (I believe that's the one) to the Switch so I would hope they would port the PS3/360 version to PS4/5. Plus we also got Republic Commando which was originally only an Xbox and PC game.

True on both counts and Force Unleashed 2 did have the Maulkiller Skin as well.

YTA0N2M0ZGMyYw

• Like 1

Pretty cool. Nightdive is really killing it with all these excellent remasters of classic FPS games. This one alongside that Turok 3 remaster will be going into my shopping cart for sure in the future.

Didn't get the chance to play this one as much as I would have liked to when I was younger, but the fact that's pretty much Star Wars DOOM sells it to me. Here's hoping they bring the sequel as well. I'd be more than happy to play through Kyle Katarn's original FPS adventures whenever they come out.

@Copanele Yo, here's where the Jedi Knight spawned comes from. Not sure if you remember Kyle in the games that would come after in that franchise? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Honor_Hand said:

Pretty cool. Nightdive is really killing it with all these excellent remasters of classic FPS games. This one alongside that Turok 3 remaster will be going into my shopping cart for sure in the future.

Didn't get the chance to play this one as much as I would have liked to when I was younger, but the fact that's pretty much Star Wars DOOM sells it to me. Here's hoping they bring the sequel as well. I'd be more than happy to play through Kyle Katarn's original FPS adventures whenever they come out.

@Copanele Yo, here's where the Jedi Knight spawned comes from. Not sure if you remember Kyle in the games that would come after in that franchise? 

Hah ACTUALLY I played both Dark Forces with Kyle Katarn, one of the best Star Wars characters ever made (before the whole "extended universe is non canon crap 😂 )granted, I haven't finished them, but I am more than eager to play them! So glad that I waited on playing Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, now I can pop them all in order!

All I am waiting for now is for Nightdive to inevitably release Dark Forces 2! I miss the old live record cutscenes with sassy Kyle Katarn, the actor, and the first person lightsaber duels :D 

Live-Action-Kyle-Katarn.jpg

This is great, I hope they also remaster Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. Granted, all the Jedi Knight franchise is better played on the PC, but I just love this series. Dark Forces II was one of the first games I've played on PC, and it was just a demo that came on a CD-Rom full of other demos. Nostalgia abounds.

I've started playing this on PC lately using The Force Engine and love it. "Star Wars: A New Doom" :) Now I should probably hold off until this comes out. No more fussing around with source ports. The remaster is to have a new area in it also.

Another couple games I'd like to see remastered are SW Trilogy Arcade (Sega) and SW Battle Pod (Bandai Namco). BP might be especially good on PSVR2. It lets you play as Darth Vader after finishing the main story (non-canon, but it sure is fun).

Spoiler

As Darth Vader, you witness the Death Star going kaboom from the cockpit of your TIE Fighter. After a report from the Imperial Commander, you face off against a Rebel squadron and pursue Han Solo, trying to destroy the Millenium Falcon. Finally, the Rebels have a super laser core and you need to intercept it.

Bless you Nightdive. I'll be double dipping (PS5 and PC). Glad to hear about Turok 3 as well... and I sure wouldn't mind Turok Evolution later on. The existing PC port of TE is not very good, with broken lighting and missing effects. TE drops the hub mission structure of past Turoks, being more like Quake 1 or Unreal in its progression. It also adds a few airborne levels.

• 1 month later...

Star Wars: Dark Forces Remastered will launch on February 28, 2024 - exactly 29 years after the original PC version.

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-dark-forces-remaster-launches-exactly-29-years-after-the-original/1100-6518595/

Edited by Suminya
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...