Worst multiplayer mode I have ever seen in my entire life.

TracerXZX

Aside from months ago being messaged on two occasions by try-hards telling me to stop sprinting constantly (with both having occurred whilst playing on the Wharf map, often I personally didn’t care that I wasn’t playing correctly for my faction so long as I’d gathered enough supplies and/or completed my challenges from said matches), I’m not kidding or giving too much credit when I say this game’s multiplayer is was fantastic.

Shame it wasn’t reskinned as part of the PS5 “remake” in favour of an upcoming Factions successor, only time will tell how good or bad it’s going to be and whenever it’ll debut.

• Like 4

It's my favourite multiplayer mode, there's nothing else quite like it and I love the slow pace. My only criticisms are wall shooting/crab walking never being fixed, the tactical shotgun being OP and the sometimes very toxic community. But I often see trophy hunters complain about these trophies and they're really not that bad at all compared to other tacked-on modes (there's no way this is worse than Assassin's Creed). Just keep practicing (Interrogation is the calmest mode), pick easy challenges and you'll be golden.

I also second the advice to focus on a support role if you're struggling; that way you can still be helpful to others and quickly complete the heal/revive challenges when you need to.

I've been a competitive TLoU player for ages and multiple years in a row, I was leader of the best team in the world at that time. Spent 5k+ hours alone on eSports matches. Yes, there's luck involved, too, and unfortunately ND left this multiplayer unbalanced (tactical shotgun 😎), but it's not as bad as some people here make it look.

4 minutes ago, Juzota said:

It's one of the best multiplayer modes ever. Too bad you're like 10 years late to the party. Is it really a surprise there is lots of high level players after so many years?

I did the ps4 platinum few years ago and I totally agree. Of course it's not like cod where you hop in and and kill everyone. You have to know the map. Play stealthy yadda yadda. One of the best MP experiences ever. 

And when it comes to level 1000 I also had these players YOU ALWAYS have high ranked players in any MP game.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix

17 hours ago, TracerXZX said:

Wtf am i supposed to do at level 0 against level 1000 players????????? I get the worst guns, die in one fucking shot to the body, i cant kill anyone with headshot or multiple shots to the body. One of the best games ever made and it has a shitty mp like this, fuck the platinum i am never playing that bullshit ever again. This is worse than assassins creed multiplayer and thats pathetic.

This isn't Call Of Duty.  Rushing in and looking for a fight will get you killed in no time at all.  You're supposed to play as part of a team, so stick with your teammates as much as you can.  Watch what they're doing, observe them setting traps and helping each other out when they get in trouble.  Always be on the lookout for Parts that you can scavenge, as this is what you really need in order to keep progressing in your Journey. 

Spend as much time as you can tagging enemies, healing your partners, and crafting gifts for them, so that when the 100% risk missions come around, you can choose these easy tasks to make sure you don't fail the mission, because if you do, your Journey will immediately end in failure and you'll have to start again.

Try to have a Molotov or nail bomb on you whenever possible.  Any player, regardless of their level, will go down in one hit if you can throw/place these weapons correctly.

While I wouldn't say it's the worst I've played, nor it being one of the best either (most if not all common problems complained about in online shooters has existed here), there is some merit to the topic. It just wasn't explained well.

"One of the best games ever made and it has a shitty mp like this" - I kind of get the general expectation, but no-one really should expect a game's multiplayer component to be good just because the single player is (some good PS3-era single player games with multiplayer will attest to that), no matter the developer, and like...

If you were familiar with the developer's past multiplayer modes in their other games, you wouldn't be too surprised. Naughty Dog have a fairly known and legitimate track record for ruining their multiplayer modes in every single game starting from Uncharted 2 and its widely infamous 1.05 patch (effectively "CoDfied" the game and destroyed its balance). I was there myself, as I've been day one with all of Naughty Dog's online multiplayer components. They've frustratingly had this consecutive pattern of having decent multiplayer components at launch (though Uncharted 4 shockingly had one of the most barebones MP experiences) and screwing it up through various balance-ruining patches over their life-time. This has, again, persisted through all their PS3 to PS4 games—Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, The Last of Us, and Uncharted 4. Etc. There's even been the troubling development and setback with their standalone "Factions 2", but I digress.

(Uncharted 3 MP was still my shit tho, r.i.p)

On 9/15/2023 at 2:57 PM, TracerXZX said:

Wtf am i supposed to do at level 0 against level 1000 players????????? I get the worst guns, die in one fucking shot to the body, i cant kill anyone with headshot or multiple shots to the body. fuck the platinum i am never playing that bullshit ever again. This is worse than assassins creed multiplayer and thats pathetic.

I'm like retired (come back every now and then eventually), but you can't do much, as a lone player. You can indulge in the pay-2-win content to shorten the gap from the start, as the weapons and perks are knowingly advantageous to OP. Many will mention the Tactical Shotgun, but the Frontier Rifle is certainly on par if not better than it, especially after the unnecessary buff it got sometime after its release. The former is more beginnernoob-friendly though. I generally don't advocate that kind of thing (especially if you're only playing for the platinum), but I see it as an option to fight some fire with fire against the cheaters, "crab walkers", assholes who use the infamous and broken Bomb Expert 3+Shiv (paid) combo even on unskilled players, etc, at least.

Teamplay is important even in the fast-pace shooters, so instead I'd say strategy, patience, and stealth alongside the teamplay is key. Just sticking to your teammate(s) won't be enough; obviously if they're bad and you're going against a decent opposing team you're just not going to get far with your own team. You're then also a beginner yourself. Generally speaking, partying up with experienced players is the best approach because of the game's horrible team-balancing system with randoms. You can't run away from that even in the "no parties" mode variant. 

The journey trophies are moderately doable solo. Not without some frustration, but you can persevere through it if you're fairly experienced from other online shooters. With custom builds I highly recommend messing around with the multi-beneficial "First Aid Training" perk.

Screenshot-Tlo-U-MP.png

I'd also strongly recommend "Second Chance" for beginner players especially which increases survivability by giving an extra medkit when you both don't have one and are low on health, but as the above picture shows it's one of the paid dlcs. From the sound of it though you gave up early on, so at this point you should get more familiar with the game and then check out some video guides to learn more basic to advanced techniques. Endure and survive, dude.

• Like 2

If this is the ps4 version, then all will come naturally just by playing.  I was not aware of any exploits, etc (I am sure they exist).  All you need is 5 downs OR executions per map.  And unlike the ps3 version, you can die.  

Like others stated, don’t run off on your own.  Go with your team and getting to 5 is easy even for a n00b.  That’s the only strategy you need.  Half the time, you’ll be stealing executions from your teammates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in the same spot and even on getting the play I rarely went positive. The most I got was 7 kills but a lot of the time I would get 1-2 but still get a lot of parts through crafting, gifting and healing.

If you're playing this like tdm you're going to get annihilated. Just chill and play support until you understand the mechanics, maps, common peaks and angles, interactions.

• 2 weeks later...

My hints to new multiplayer players:

* before playing MP complete story mode on hard or survivor (without cheating like playing chapters backwards)

* try to position yourself in a way that there are 2 players (you and teammate) against 1 player (enemy)

* silencer on pistol is helpful because you can cheaply have weapon that allows you shooting without showing on map

* I learned the most how to play MP by playing interrogation - I am not sure if this mode is easy but at least your deaths are not that important in this mode

* in MP you get rank by playing matches and not by having skills - there are 999 players that are super good and there are players 999 players that are noob, do not get scared by seeing high rank

* you can create custom private match with only yourself (1 player total) and learn map layout

On 10/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, TracerXZX said:

Yall can stop posting here. I completed 1 journey with a a group then got kicked because the leader couldnt take simple "sarcasm". Now I understand how everything works, it just takes time to do it.

I think you forgot something very important: You behaved poorly in the boosting group and delayed the entire team by not communicating. But, of course, it's the others' fault 😄 You could have finished the online part much earlier.

Shout out to @Suffocation1982 for organizing these boosting groups week after week! 👌

Edited by ElrayMickaelius
  • Haha 2

On 9/16/2023 at 1:08 AM, czDante92 said:

It was actually one of the best multiplayer mode that I ever played, and it was bundled with one of the greatest single player games of all time, it had no right to be that good.
There was a lot of stuff behind paywall tho, but nothing p2w.

That is perfect explained. Im playing the game online sińce few years. Public is a little bit glitched because some players using wallshots and other things which are not regular. But when u have enough ppl to play this in a full lobby private with rules. Its the best MP ever i played. Give it a shot and dont think u are better than ppl with hundrets of hours experience

Edited by PL_Tomasz_G
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ElrayMickaelius said:

I think you forgot something very important: You behaved poorly in the boosting group and delayed the entire team by not communicating. But, of course, it's the others' fault 😄 You could have finished the online part much earlier.

Shout out to @Suffocation1982 for organizing these boosting groups week after week! 👌

Wtf are you one dude? XD You got me mixed up with someone else because I wasnt the one always talking about something else. I always communicated when it was needed to.

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2023 at 8:13 PM, ElrayMickaelius said:

Well said, I can imagine just how this guy acts around others....

• Like 1