PSN accounts are seemingly being randomly banned

Jounochi

It seems that PSN accounts are being banned, seemingly for no reason.  Some claim they hardly play online to warrant a ban/suspicion and others say they have done nothing online to justify a permanent ban.

Some have speculated this was related to these users having access to Discovery content, but some folks on Reddit have said they have friends that never used Discovery and were banned as well.

Found this a bit concerning and comments on this article seem to confirm what The Verge is reporting on.  Is anyone here experiencing an unjustified ban? 

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/4/23988621/sony-playstation-account-ps5-bans-permanent-suspension

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/s/xdbrNWQcio

Users are reaching out to Sony via their customer care chat and are being told they have been banned for violating the terms of service agreement and to make a new account.

It seems like this issue began some time yesterday and is just now hitting more users.

Edited by Jounochi
Updating with additional info
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MidnightDragon said:

Hopefully it’s not super widespread. It’s hard to tell when it comes to the Internet. Haven’t seen any other site mention it and I’m not real sure how reliable The Verge is.

I definitely saw the PlayStation subreddit lighting up - there's a thread about it that has over 600 comments by now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Hopefully it’s not super widespread. It’s hard to tell when it comes to the Internet. Haven’t seen any other site mention it and I’m not real sure how reliable The Verge is.

I’m watching a thread on Reddit and it seems a few users there have been hit.  Seems like the story is still developing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

There's definitely more to this and reddit likes to always hide what the ban says and never show their message box.

I rarely, if ever, believe "I was falsely banned" on Reddit for sure.

Yea. I wouldn’t exactly consider Reddit a reliable source for news. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SpaceIsDandy said:

People in the reddit thread are posting screenshots of support people saying something is a known issue right now so its probably happening

Yeah, it seems like there was a little chatter about this starting yesterday too, but I think others assume those people violated the TOS.