PSN accounts are seemingly being randomly banned

Jounochi

1 minute ago, MidnightDragon said:

I know, I’m being paranoid, but still…

No worries, if you’ve done nothing wrong and you are wrongfully banned in this ban wave, they will most likely unban you once they realize something is going wrong.

1 hour ago, Jounochi said:

It seems like this issue began some time yesterday and is just now hitting more users.

Been through it before. My Korean account was banned years ago, and I had another account banned using the "about me reporting exploit", where the aggravator is able to false report an illicit message being in your about me, even if nothing is present. Sony support is shit, I lost $1,500+ worth of Koreans, and I will never go digital-only. 

16 minutes ago, Jounochi said:

you are wrongfully banned in this ban wave, they will most likely unban you once they realize something is going wrong.

Nah. Sony doesn't give a shit. People were falsely getting players banned a couple years back using the about me exploit. Sony said "fuck you" and did nothing. 

38 minutes ago, TheDarkKratos said:

I find all of this very disturbing to say the least. Remember when Sony got hacked many years ago? Dejavu! We all have a lot of time, money and effort invested in our accounts. Some more than others. And for the last year or so I have been constantly worried about losing my account to some hacker, or being perma-banned wrongly, or for something not my fault. Whether or not this is Sony going crazy or for some other unbeknownst reason for the bans, I find it very worrying to say the least. Remember the good ole days when gaming was fun, and not having to keep an eye out for servers closing, hackers, Sony dishing out wrongful bans etc etc etc.... Those days are ancient history, and long gone, but I miss the simplicity of those days. The only thing you had to be concerned about was what you were going to play next. Whatever is happening now with these suspensions, it's a situation that needs to get seriously un-fucked. Sigh. I just logged into my account, and was literally holding my breath fearing the worst.

Agree, I do from time to time get those feelings of fear and concearn about my account being wrongly banned or something, I'm careful but Still... the time, money and effort I (we as users) put on the accounts it's something to be worried for sure, hopefully this will be fixed IF the whole thing is true (Have my doubts).

Edited by NajiLionheart
  • Like 1

Just don’t curse in messages / voice chat or stuff around anywhere else on SIE’s first-party network and your profile should be fine.

It’s clever to think before you act, not doing so cost me access to a decade old PSN account four years ago (never again!).

With that said, I do believe it’s disgusting all your purchased goods and services from the PlayStation Store can be stripped away should you violate their terms even slightly and they decide a permanent ban is the most appropriate consequence for said minor infringement.

Spoiler

Hope y’all are ready for a future in which digital is the only means of content consumption…

Edited by Dry
  • Like 3

Two new topics about "random" PSN account bans on Reddit from 4 and 8 hours ago:

1) OP writes that he is a content creator on YouTube and uploads trophy guides.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Trophies/s/gmaxseQG3O

2) https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation/s/IE3ks8Gr1m

-> This comment is interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/playstation/s/55m8lzXOnx = Somebody from Support wrote that it is a "known issue".

58 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Been through it before. My Korean account was banned years ago, and I had another account banned using the "about me reporting exploit", where the aggravator is able to false report an illicit message being in your about me, even if nothing is present. Sony support is shit, I lost $1,500+ worth of Koreans, and I will never go digital-only. 

Nah. Sony doesn't give a shit. People were falsely getting players banned a couple years back using the about me exploit. Sony said "fuck you" and did nothing. 

Who's identity did you steal to get a Korean account?

1 hour ago, Vern3r0z said:

Maybe its another hack?

They can make it up to me with Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and God of War Ragnarok.

1 hour ago, Dry said:

Hope y’all are ready for a future in which digital is the only means of content consumption…

I pirate all my media. If I'm pushed further, I'll start with games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

They can make it up to me with Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and God of War Ragnarok.

sorry-tony-hayward.gif

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

I pirate all my media. If I'm pushed further, I'll start with games.

I believe I meant content consumption through official means.

Personally, I only ever engage in piracy to protest against a chosen piece of media's developer(s)/producer(s), its distributor(s)/publisher(s) and/or a certain platform that is actively hosting it or when it's more difficult that it should be to get my hands on said media (when it's officially unavailable or illegal in Australia and for whatever reason there's nothing a VPN can do to combat geo-blocking and similar bullshit).

Another exception being music, especially material (mostly consisting of mixtapes and time-limited singles/EPs) that is nowhere to be found on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube Music (from the "releases" tab on an artist's official YouTube channel or an auto-generated "*insert title here* - Topic" channel via the standard platform) and so on. Eminem's very first album Infinite and Death Grips' Exmilitary mixtape come to my mind.

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Huh?

A few years ago a couple of people on this site were "just making people aware" of some service that offered to hook up customers with Korean accounts to get access to more stacks of games. Problem is, you need to provide the equivalent of a Korean SSN/taxpayer ID/personal identification number to open a Korean PSN account. So they were basically promoting identity theft.

I hope you're Korean, otherwise you're illicitly using someone else's personal ID number as part of your Korean account.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Grammar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I saw a Reddit thread on this, it seems odd to me. I wonder what is going on and if it is affecting only some regions or all regions, because I have not heard anything about this in the Japanese trophy hunting community on X so far. 

I know one or two people on Discord that had it happen to them, but they've since regained access, so...I dunno. My guess is something got screwed up.