Has 'May Your Death Be Swift' work around been patched already?

So I fumbled my first run, and followed the steps listed on guides to get a second chance, by uploading my save to cloud, deleting the game and console save, power cycling the console, and then reinstalling and launching. However, I've done this twice now, with no luck, still says I completed today's run. So I figured I'd sign into a second PS5, and just run the game with no console save, a fresh slate. I blew through 9 runs to unlock the Daily Run and it still hits me with the fact that I already attempted today's run. Makes me think they've tied run attempts to the server and is now tied to your account rather than a save. Pretty frustrating, but just wanted to see if anybody else has gotten it to work while running off of Update 1.000.040. Appreciate any insight!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-SKI44 said:

So I fumbled my first run, and followed the steps listed on guides to get a second chance, by uploading my save to cloud, deleting the game and console save, power cycling the console, and then reinstalling and launching. However, I've done this twice now, with no luck, still says I completed today's run. So I figured I'd sign into a second PS5, and just run the game with no console save, a fresh slate. I blew through 9 runs to unlock the Daily Run and it still hits me with the fact that I already attempted today's run. Makes me think they've tied run attempts to the server and is now tied to your account rather than a save. Pretty frustrating, but just wanted to see if anybody else has gotten it to work while running off of Update 1.000.040. Appreciate any insight!

Yep, i have done it twice now aswell and i've got the same outcome as yours. I managed to get to the Rattler boss and he killed me in 1 shot, he was near death aswell. Guess i got to try tommorow night then lol 

7 hours ago, aaroncharles said:

Yep, i have done it twice now aswell and i've got the same outcome as yours. I managed to get to the Rattler boss and he killed me in 1 shot, he was near death aswell. Guess i got to try tommorow night then lol 

I've had 2 runs where I reached the final round, one I got stunlocked after killing the boss because there was an enemy remaining, and yesterday I was doing well... Suddenly I got oneshot when I turned around to change position,fun

Hopefully we all do it soon

Anyone got tips for the current daily run as Dina on Grounded diff? Having trouble with the capture mode atm

Edit: nvm got done now, just had to use the slow motion while aiming option strategically apart from strats from PP's guide etc. The encounter route I chose was 2x Hunted, 1x captured, 1x Assault (WLF waves, I camped in the balcony area), Hunted again leading up to Rattler King as the Terminator commenter mentioned in the vid above (I still had to dodge a bunch apart from heal when I could and wise use of smoke bombs + weapons on last encounter) 

Edited by nojokaboom

Seriously, whose idea was it to implement daily runs? Did not one person at Naughty Dog suggest that they should be weekly runs instead…

…or providing players with more than a single attempt?

Edited by Dry
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, aaroncharles said:

If anyone wants to see how i did todays daily run on grounded with Joel heres a vid.

Thank you, i failed my run and successfully did the exploit. For anyone who is  confused:

I saved my game before i attempted the run to the ps+ cloud, then once i failed, i deleted the game, turned ps5 off completely, then disconnected the power cable for 2 minutes in order to power cycle the ps5, then i started to reinstall the game. i only had to install half of it (35gb) (or whatever the minimum is to start the game up) because when you initiate the download, it asks you if i want to play story mode first or no return, i clicked no return. As well, Before i was able to play the game again , i deleted my save data off my ps5 (not the one i uploaded onto the cloud) then i downloaded the save i uploaded onto the cloud. When game was able to be played, booted it up and i could do another run of no return. Following the video i got it 1st try, thank you. 

This was my 3rd overall attempt. This trophy isn't too difficult, i recommend finding a run you're capable with and do as many attempts of that run on a single day to increase your chances of finishing it. 

Edited by InfamousDooMZ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IDiivil said:

It's a pretty common thing in the roguelike genre. A very easy-to-implement feature, as all you need to do is distribute a daily specific seed and have everyone play the same run. Kind of helps the community come around as everyone has to struggle with the same RNG during their run, which is not something you otherwise get when all runs are randomised. I guess the reason it's one attempt is that it better serves the idea behind the genre. When you have just one shot at something (so there's No Return), the run feels that much more nerve-wrecking.

My favourite part is how games love having a trophy for beating a daily run too, which is always lovely. Reminds me I should get back to CotN...

Thank you for reminding me that I’m new to this genre. 😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, related_browser1 said:

wdym the bottom?

Those are easiest missions imho. Just choose all the mission that are at the bottom, meaning the lowest mission branch path. Steer clear of the mission with invisible enemies since those are just insane hard, especially the Hunted ones with infected. The bottom mission offer up lots of Hunted missions where you can just crawl around if you have the accessability setting enabled. That way you are invisible while prone. The Capture missions are also really easy since you can take as long as you like with them.

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 2

There maybe a way to make this MEGA easy, and im not talking about the long work around of reinstalling the game.

I cant test too much at the moment because I dont have access to cloud save on my alts, but I will share what I've learnt/observed and maybe the community here can figure it out.....

So first the foundation behind this....

-- So you can quit to the main menu on a daily run from the safehouse, back it up and you can then resume it from the No Return main menu.

-- Although you cant access daily run if you turn off the network, you CAN turn off the network while within the daily run and still keep playing it as long as you don't quit i guess.

With these in mind, if network is off, the server shouldnt be able to tell if you have failed the run or not.

So I believe if you follow these steps, it will make it mega easy with accessibility options enabled. You're also not redoing the WHOLE thing like with the long winded reinstall route, you're just redoing a single encounter if you die!!

- STEP 1 -

Begin a Daily Run, then once in the 1st safehouse, quit to main menu and backup your save.

- STEP 2 -

Resume the daily run, but then turn off network once you spawn in. Now do the next encounter. Once back in the safehouse, quit to the main menu and backup your save again but dont turn on network until you close the game.

- STEP 3 -

Then repeat Step 2 of this process until you succeed. If you ever die, quit the game, turn on network and download your backup, then carry on with the step 2 as normal!!

This should work in theory as the server isnt being told that you failed because the network is off and you're resetting the game to the state the daily run was in when you last backed up so should all work out.

Perhaps the network needs turning on briefly each time you finish an encounter, or after the boss, or before you quit the daily run if you mean to back up (and didnt die), not too sure as because i say, i cant test too much currently and im a few days away from playing on my main with the cloud, but hopefully this info helps us all figure out something without waiting for my slowass!

Just whatever you do in your testing, DON'T turn on the network while in-game if you have just failed it!! The key with this is that we don't want the server to know that you failed!!!!

Happy to help, Opti ;)

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 4

NO, this dont work !

https://www.powerpyx.com/the-last-of-us-2-remastered-no-return-dlc-trophy-guide-roadmap/

Things that DON’T work:
Unlike regular runs, you can’t use PS+ to back up and restore your save immediately, it only works if you reinstall the whole game. Even if you restore an old save you will be locked out of that daily run until you reinstall. If you close the application during an encounter it will count as a death and not let you continue (so can’t quit out just before dying). If you go offline during a run it won’t let you place on the leaderboards, nor will it let you continue the run if rebooting the game and going back online. Custom difficulty won’t unlock the trophy so you can’t simply put one setting on Grounded and the rest on Very Easy, you have to pick the default Grounded difficulty. Changing the console date & time doesn’t let you redo runs either. Starting a completely new save and unlocking daily runs again from scratch also doesn’t work, it will still show you already did that day’s run. The only fix is to reinstall the game after each failed try.

Trick to get multiple tries per day: Back up your save in PS+ Cloud BEFORE attempting the daily run > if you fail the run DELETE the game & save from the console > Shut off your PS5 and pull out the power cord for 2 minutes to make the console power cycle > turn PS5 back on > REINSTALL the entire game > download save from PS+ Cloud. Now enter the game and you can start another Daily Run!
Reinstalling the game after power-cycling the console is the trick here, this deletes your “Seed” for the daily run. Even if you already placed on the leaderboards that day it will overwrite your score and you can earn the trophy this way! This is even more efficient if you have 2 x PS5 consoles and the disc version of the game. While one reinstalls you can play the game from the other console, always alternating between consoles (it also gives you 1 try per console each day without reinstall). If your download speed isn’t very fast it’s better to get the disc version for a faster install time. Of course it also works with a single PS5 but will be less efficient as you must wait for the reinstall each time. If you just copy back your save without reinstalling it won’t let you restart the daily run, but if you delete game + power cycle + reinstall + restore save it does work! The method might not be 100% consistent and sometimes it still says you completed that day’s run, if that happens simply repeat the uninstall / power cycle / reinstall. It’s important that you turn off the console and unplug the power cord between each reinstall, otherwise it might still say you completed that day’s run already.

Edited by Simo11-US
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Simo11-US said:

NO, this dont work !

https://www.powerpyx.com/the-last-of-us-2-remastered-no-return-dlc-trophy-guide-roadmap/

Things that DON’T work:
Unlike regular runs, you can’t use PS+ to back up and restore your save immediately, it only works if you reinstall the whole game. Even if you restore an old save you will be locked out of that daily run until you reinstall. If you close the application during an encounter it will count as a death and not let you continue (so can’t quit out just before dying). If you go offline during a run it won’t let you place on the leaderboards, nor will it let you continue the run if rebooting the game and going back online. Custom difficulty won’t unlock the trophy so you can’t simply put one setting on Grounded and the rest on Very Easy, you have to pick the default Grounded difficulty. Changing the console date & time doesn’t let you redo runs either. Starting a completely new save and unlocking daily runs again from scratch also doesn’t work, it will still show you already did that day’s run. The only fix is to reinstall the game after each failed try.

Trick to get multiple tries per day: Back up your save in PS+ Cloud BEFORE attempting the daily run > if you fail the run DELETE the game & save from the console > Shut off your PS5 and pull out the power cord for 2 minutes to make the console power cycle > turn PS5 back on > REINSTALL the entire game > download save from PS+ Cloud. Now enter the game and you can start another Daily Run!
Reinstalling the game after power-cycling the console is the trick here, this deletes your “Seed” for the daily run. Even if you already placed on the leaderboards that day it will overwrite your score and you can earn the trophy this way! This is even more efficient if you have 2 x PS5 consoles and the disc version of the game. While one reinstalls you can play the game from the other console, always alternating between consoles (it also gives you 1 try per console each day without reinstall). If your download speed isn’t very fast it’s better to get the disc version for a faster install time. Of course it also works with a single PS5 but will be less efficient as you must wait for the reinstall each time. If you just copy back your save without reinstalling it won’t let you restart the daily run, but if you delete game + power cycle + reinstall + restore save it does work! The method might not be 100% consistent and sometimes it still says you completed that day’s run, if that happens simply repeat the uninstall / power cycle / reinstall. It’s important that you turn off the console and unplug the power cord between each reinstall, otherwise it might still say you completed that day’s run already.

I dont understand, did for me???

I spawned in the safehouse, turned off the network and I still managed to begin the next encounter........Thats why I gave the foundation, in theory, everything required to make it work is there

PPyx is a great site, but it doesnt mean its the only way, you need to keep an open mind ;).

They are likely not aware of the turn off network trick while within the daily run which is why they said this

"you can’t use PS+ to back up and restore your save immediately"

Because you CAN do this of you know the turn off network trick while in game. Remember, restoring your save will work because the server wont know you failed it. But it WON'T work if the server KNOWS you failed it, basically you didnt know about the turn off network trick!

Like I say anyway, it may involve a little messing about with network off/on at specific times to get it working, i'll have to have a look myself and buy plus on an alt. From their paragraph, it's really hard to tell how they tested it or if they missed a few variables that may make this work if done in the right order.

I'll get to work and see if I can figure out some exact steps and if it is indeed possible......

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cybermonk39 said:

Optinooby keep us posted this will be interesting 👍

Will do, Maybe onto something as I have it working, I can keep dying, download save and then jump back in, I just wanna make sure the trophy pops first

Another day another early fail :(

I've been playing worse, went from dying at the boss 2 days in a row to now dying in random levels, worst thing is I don't have Plus atm so I can't even keep trying, bummer... Oh well I'll try again tomorrow 

9 minutes ago, diogoarez said:

Another day another early fail :(

I've been playing worse, went from dying at the boss 2 days in a row to now dying in random levels, worst thing is I don't have Plus atm so I can't even keep trying, bummer... Oh well I'll try again tomorrow 

I feel you bro!