Do you want more Xbox games on PlayStation?

vanessaking2

8 hours ago, Colin_Raleigh said:

Bulletstorm is one prime example, multiplayer was a mess but the single player campaign was fun with quite creative kills. Story was fun as well. All Halo has is environments that all looked alike and way too many annoying dwarf sized alien enemies that sound like helium inhaling munchkins taking corn cobs up their hoohahs. That gets quite repetitive and dull in all honesty.

3 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

Fallout, Borderlands, Outer Worlds, Deathloop, Dying Light.

Honorable mention: Ratchet and Clank in first person mode.

Both of you fell for the trap I set so freaking hard. All those games owe their existence to Halo.

GoldenEye showed that a modern FPS could be done on console and then Halo improved and popularized it.

With out Halo, the shooter boom doesn't happen. With out that we don't COD4 as we currently know it and everything else that sprung from that.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Both of you fell for the trap I set so freaking hard. All those games owe their existence to Halo.

GoldenEye showed that a modern FPS could be done on console and then Halo improved and popularized it.

With out Halo, the shooter boom doesn't happen. With out that we don't COD4 as we currently know it and everything else that sprung from that.

Wait… is your point that because Halo is, arguably, in some sense responsible for the existence of those other games, that it is automatically better than them?

Because I wouldn’t consider that to be a fait accompli.
In fact, I’d argue it’s pretty rare for a piece of media that is the catalyst or origin of a strain or trend to remain the best example of it in perpetuity.

I mean, an argument could be made that all videogames - of any stripe - owe some kind of a debt to Pong

…but I wouldn’t try to argue that that automatically makes Pong the best game of all time….

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

Wait… is your point that because Halo is, arguably, in some sense responsible for the existence of those other games, that it is automatically better than them?

Because I wouldn’t consider that to be a fait accompli.
In fact, I’d argue it’s pretty rare for a piece on media that is the catalyst or origin of a strain or trend remaining the best example of it.

I mean, an argument could be made that all videogames - of any stripe - owe some kind of a debt to Pong

…but I wouldn’t try to argue that that automatically makes Pong the best game of all time….

If we go back to what Colin originally said it was "HaVE THEY NEvEr SeEn A vIdeo gAMe BEfORe?" and the response to that is; no one had ever seen a video game like THAT before.

His example of a better game is a super poor one since everything we see in Bulletstorm mechanically is attributed to the FPS games before it.

You're right that Halo doesn't automatically become the best of something in its genre for all time but it's another to try and claim it's bad.

I took a few minutes to try and think up a bad game that popularized a good game mechanic or influenced the culture in some way that lead to other developers copying and improving upon it but I couldn't think of anything.

Someone is allowed to not like Halo but it's silly to say it's bad.

1 minute ago, mcnichoj said:

If we go back to what Colin originally said it was "HaVE THEY NEvEr SeEn A vIdeo gAMe BEfORe?" and the response to that is; no one had ever seen a video game like THAT before.

His example of a better game is a super poor one since everything we see in Bulletstorm mechanically is attributed to the FPS games before it.

You're right that Halo doesn't automatically become the best of something in its genre for all time but it's another to try and claim it's bad.

I took a few minutes to try and think up a bad game that popularized a good game mechanic or influenced the culture in some way that lead to other developers copying and improving upon it but I couldn't think of anything.

Someone is allowed to not like Halo but it's silly to say it's bad.

No, I agree that saying Halo is outright bad is objectively silly - but I could easily see sense in an argument that the genre it helped to mould has long since passed it by, and left it looking weaker by comparison from a 2024 viewpoint.

I mean, I think a strong argument could be made that, for example, RE4 was hugely influential in shaping the modern 3rd person action game into the shape it is now…

…but I’d certainly think an argument that is remains the best example of that genre 19 years later would be silly - games are an iterative media, and they by nature build on each-others ideas.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No, I agree that saying Halo is outright bad is objectively silly - but I could easily see sense in an argument that the genre it helped to mould has long since passed it by, and left it looking weaker by comparison from a 2024 viewpoint.

I mean, I think a strong argument could be made that, for example, RE4 was hugely influential in shaping the modern 3rd person action game into the shape it is now…

…but I’d certainly think an argument that is remains the best example of that genre 19 years later would be silly - games are an iterative media, and they by nature build on each-others ideas.

It's funny that you mention RE4 and not because I'm wearing an RE4 shirt right now, it's because it's a game I was thinking about when writing my last post because it served a very similar purpose as Halo did. The only major difference between the two is that one was a launch gen release and the other was a late gen release. I think RE4 still holds up very well today just like how I think Halo 2 being a later gen release also holds up much better that Halo: CE does.

I'm going to circle this back now to what the thread is about and say it kind of makes sense that some PlayStation gamers might not want Halo since PlayStation themselves tried to make Halo killers (read: Halo copycats) and most PlayStation gamers didn't want those either.

• Like 1

I keep a XBDeals wishlist mostly in vain. Here are some examples. It is what it is, but I sure bought Hi-Fi Rush day one for the PS5 😎 

• Alan Wake’s American Nightmare

• Blue Dragon

• Conker: Live and Reloaded (remake of Conker’s Bad Fur Day)

• Feeding Frenzy (only Feeding Frenzy 2 is on PSN)

• Hydro Thunder (this was fun to play on the actual arcade machine)

• Infinite Undiscovery

• Lost Odyssey

• Magic [the Gathering] 2015 (we only ever got the first 4 installments)

• Perfect Dark & Perfect Dark Zero

• Quantum Break

• Sunset Overdrive

• Torchlight (PSN only has #2 and #3)

Eternal Sonata and Fracture are physically on the PS3 platform, but they only had an achievement set on XBox.

• Like 1

Sunset Overdrive would be nice on PS, I'd probably buy Halo MCC again even though it's a mess. I'd love to be able to get platinums in Halo games. I just don't see that happening. 

So more realistically as others have said stuff like Ori, I'd even like to see the stuff like The Maw, Splosion Man, Ms Splosion Man, and stuff like that be ported. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Convince yourself of whatever helps you sleep better at night.

Some Halo fans are also easily offended when someone doesn't like what they like, it's obvious you got offended.

2 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

I suppose next you're going to say that everything since Halo debuted owes its existence to Halo. Yeah, whatever. You can pat yourself on the back for your so called trap, but I'm not impressed. Halo fanaticism is still very much alive and well, that's all I learned from this. 🥱🙄

Edited by Colin_Raleigh
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

55 minutes ago, Colin_Raleigh said:

Some Halo fans are also easily offended when someone doesn't like what they like, it's obvious you got offended.

I'm not even a big Halo fan, ironically enough. Again, convince yourself of whatever makes it easier for you to sleep at night.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

I'm not even a big Halo fan, ironically enough. Again, convince yourself of whatever makes it easier for you to sleep at night.

If you say so. But it's clear that what I'd said bothered you. Even now, a fair number of Halo fans get easily offended when someone says something about it that doesn't agree with them. Even a lot of fans that don't fall into the fanatical category seem to easily get their feelings hurt. I was never out to offend anyone, just merely stating why I don't like Halo and why I think it's overrated. It's not my fault you and some Halo fans get so easily upset by that, something you're going to have to come to terms with. All of the Confused (?) icons that you've been stamping on my posts isn't going to change that. Again, we're not all going to like the same things. That's life. 🙄

Edited by Colin_Raleigh
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 2/23/2024 at 11:21 AM, Colin_Raleigh said:

Anything but Halo, to this day I still don't understand what led to its popularity. Easily one of the most overrated game series of all time. When it first came out, all of the nerds were creaming their panties acting like they'd never seen a video game before. So yeah, they can keep Halo.

So because you don't like Halo, you just don't want it on the PlayStation? You know, I don't have interest in Gears of War. It's never been a series that's appealed to me. Never played it, can't comment on it. But do I want it on PlayStation? Yes, absolutely. Just because I have no interest in it, doesn't mean others will feel the same way. But because you have no interest in Halo, you just wanna fuck over everyone else who wants to play it on PS5??? Microsoft should just keep it away from millions of PlayStation folks who wanna play it... because you personally don't enjoy it. 

Are you trolling? Is Phil Spencer going to go to your house and force you at gunpoint to buy it on PS5? No, so what's the issue? 

Edited by AlonMercer
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Lol you just fell for my trap! You should have seen your face as you gasped for words. In the end you couldn't even think of a single redeeming quality for Halo other than it came out in a time when there wasn't much competition. Obviously given the popularity of FPS on PC it was inevitable that they'd become popular on console once the technology was there for proper first person controls.

By your own admission, Halo sucks compared to Half Life, which sucks compared to Heretic, which sucks compared to Doom, which sucks compared to Battlezone. Without these Halo would never exist (except it or something similar surely would as something else would've simply replaced these games).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, AlonMercer said:

So because you don't like Halo, you just don't want it on the PlayStation? You know, I don't have interest in Gears of War. It's never been a series that's appealed to me. Never played it, can't comment on it. But do I want it on PlayStation? Yes, absolutely. Just because I have no interest in it, doesn't mean others will feel the same way. But because you have no interest in Halo, you just wanna fuck over everyone else who wants to play it on PS5??? Microsoft should just keep it away millions of PlayStation folks who wanna play it... because you personally don't enjoy it. 

Are you trolling? Is Phil Spencer going to go to your house and force you at gunpoint to buy it on PS5? No, so what's the issue? 

Obviously what you need to do is go back and reread what this topic is about, because you clearly weren't paying attention. But based on your words here, that's clearly too much for you. This topic asked people what Xbox games they'd want on Playstation. They as in individuals. You know what individuals are don't you? If not, go fetch yourself a dictionary and look it up. I apologize in advance if that's too difficult for you. 🙄 You're acting like this topic is going to be read by Microsoft and that my dislike of Halo will sway a billion dollar company from releasing it on Playstation. Obviously what I'd said scared the hell out of you for reasons I don't understand so I'll try to ease your fears of extreme overreaction even though based on your rant it'll clearly go over like a fart in church. I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm not that powerful. My words in this topic won't change a damn thing, neither will yours or the words of anyone else who replied here. Microsoft will make their decisions based on what they choose to release, I have no power over that. Do you understand? As for your question of trolling, I'll say this much. You accusing me of that is pretty much the equivalent of a slut calling a virgin a whore. Now calm down already, you're making too big a deal out of this. 🙄

7 minutes ago, Milktastrophe said:

Lol you just fell for my trap! You should have seen your face as you gasped for words. In the end you couldn't even think of a single redeeming quality for Halo other than it came out in a time when there wasn't much competition. Obviously given the popularity of FPS on PC it was inevitable that they'd become popular on console once the technology was there for proper first person controls.

By your own admission, Halo sucks compared to Half Life, which sucks compared to Heretic, which sucks compared to Doom, which sucks compared to Battlezone. Without these Halo would never exist (except it or something similar surely would as something else would've simply replaced these games).

You sprang a much better trap, I'll say that much right now. 🤣

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Colin_Raleigh said:

You know what individuals are don't you? If not, go fetch yourself a dictionary and look it up. I apologize in advance if that's too difficult for you.

Yeah, you're right, it is too difficult for me. You see, as a Halo nerd, doing anything that requires me getting off my Dorito-dust coated chair is too much effort. Could you mail me one?

57 minutes ago, Colin_Raleigh said:

It's not my fault you and some Halo fans get so easily upset by that

You seem to be the one who's upset, 'cause this shit comes off as super insecure. lmao I just find your stance confusing and your reasoning immature/irrational, I genuinely don't care whether or not you like or dislike the things that I do or don't. Again, I'm not a big Halo fan and I'd be saying the exact same thing even if this was something else that is popular and beloved, regardless of how I personally feel about it. If you want to convince yourself otherwise in order to make it look like you have some kind of point, then I've already said more than once that you're free to do so if it makes it easier for you to fall asleep at night and feel like you actually accomplished something.

Keep the verbose Halo fan-induced trauma posting coming, though. I'll keep using the site features for their intended purposes while laughing.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1