Microsoft To Offer A Kinect-less Xbone For $399

Parker

It seems like Microsoft has changed their tune as far as never offering the Xbone without the Kinect. Starting on June 9th the Xbox One will be available to purchase without the Kinect for a price of $399, the same as the PS4. 

Xbox One will come without Kinect later this year, Microsoft has announced. It will cost $399 USD on June 9. In Europe, that's £349 and 399 Euros.

This brings Xbox One's price to parity with PlayStation 4.

Just this past February, Microsoft stated it had no intention of removing the device from its new console.

"Kinect remains an important part of our vision," head of Xbox Phil Spencer said. "Many of you are using Kinect for Xbox One every day."

When Microsoft first announced the Xbox One, it was revealed that the console wouldn't function if Kinect was unplugged, leading some to worry about privacy. Since then, the company decided to reverse this policy.

Developing...

Source: IGN

Personally, I'm glad to see this. I never use the Kinect on my Xbone and a $100 price drop is definitely good for consumers. I wonder if this will take any steam away from the PlayStation 4 and if it does I wonder how Sony will respond. 

Parker

• Like 2

They were bound to listen to consumers at some point.  Every single news article or forum post I've read about the price of the XBone has been littered with comments saying "Ditch the Kinect and drop the price and then we'll talk".  There's only so long that their market researchers can keep passing those messages up to management before someone realises that they're missing out on a lot of customers by pulling this sh*t.

I don't want one, but it's a very smart move. I just think it's funny that when Microsoft announced Xbone, they said they had no plans for the Xbone to even function if you turned the kinect off. My, how the world has changed.

What a stupid decision

It hasn't even been out for 6 months, and they've done 2 price cuts (in the UK anyway). They were adamant Kinect was the vital to the xbox ecosystem, then as soon as they see the *very good* sales, they take kinect out? I don't think they even know where xbox will be next year, I wouldn't be surprised if Project Neo VR was at their E3.

Edited by Saltyie

What a stupid decision

It hasn't even been out for 6 months, and they've done 2 price cuts (in the UK anyway). They were adamant Kinect was the vital to the xbox ecosystem, then as soon as they see the *very good* sales, they take kinect out? I don't think they even know where xbox will be next year, I wouldn't be surprised if Project Neo VR was at their E3.

My understanding was that the first price cut was in response to a weakening US$.  As MS operates from its US HQ (as opposed to Sony having regional operations) they could make the first cut without it affecting their revenue and profit too much.  Can't remember where I read that though...

Edit - that's why the cut was only in the UK, not EU or US.  US$ didn't go down against Euro like it did with £.

Wasn't the 2nd one just retailers trying to clear stock?

I agree with you though.  With all the U-Turns they've made in the last 12 months, they do seem pretty lost.  (If every u-turn is a 180, maybe it should now be called the Xbox 720 after all!)

Edited by StrickenBiged

Will get one when the price is around £300, at the moment the only game they have which interest me is Forza Horizon and that's no because of the gameplay oh no, I just love the vinyls market and customizing my cars rather than actually playing the game and that's not worth £390. Also hopefully they will have around 4-5 exclusives that I would want to play by then. 

I am really hoping at E3 they change the name to something else as well because then they would have officially gone back on EVERYTHING they promised last E3 :P Seriously though why would anyone watch MS E3 presentation this year when we just saw that they lied about their whole show last year. I mean I don't expect everything at E3 to actually happen, :cough: last guardian :cough:, but this is just a fail of epic proportions.

• Like 2

It's a good move, although I still have no interest in picking one up. It just seems like all of their moves have been reactionary, and basically their entire initial launch plan has been tossed out the window. It's good that they are listening on the one hand, but on the other, hopefully they'll do better research when launching new products in the future. 

I have no use for one... I don't play FPS games much and the only exclusive they have that is worth a shiny nickle is Titanfall... And i read that EA may still bring an "Ultimate Edition" of Titanfall to the PS4 anyway.  The raw power (even though MS seems to think it doesn't matter) is better on the PS4.  AND, I love Japanese RPGs... not a lot of them end up on the Xbox so... 

No doubt this price drop will be good for sales... but im sure early adopters will be pissed...

The better Xbone does, the more likely PlayStation will work to compete and change to respond... its good for the consumer either way!

Next prediction is that next they will either change their parity clause for releases or change the architecture to one up the power of the xbone...  They want market share... they are in it to win and even if they have to backtrack on everything that they stood for at E3-2013.

• Like 1

Well my cousin was waiting for them to release the Xbox One without Kinect so he'll be happy. Me? There's nothing that currently interests me other than Forza 5 and I'm not getting it just for that. If a couple of JRPGs make their way on to the system, I would probably consider picking one up. 

It's actually a pretty bad move because they just completely ruined their original plan with having a Kinect bundled. Now there won't be a 100% attachment rate. Meaning more and more developers will stop caring (or just not care at all) about the Kinect. They just pulled a Nintendo (Released a 2DS meaning they can never have a solely 3D screen based game because you've just spit your user base). Absolute idiots for even thinking the Kinect was going to amount to anything besides a shit voice command bar.

Their sales must be bad if they're removing Kinect. Ever since Sony announced that 7 million PS4s have been sold, MS have been very quiet about their sales. Now they remove the Kinect and drop the price? After saying the Xbone won't work without Kinect last year.

I still won't buy one though, not until they have one exclusive that looks good to me. Dead Rising looks OK, but we all saw what happened with Dead Rising last gen. It won't be exclusive for long.