What was/is your toughest thing in this game

Priere

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine is between what I didn't do to make my life easier; and what I had the most trouble on. One would be if I faced Penance the right way it would have been difficult. I was going to do the whole Ribbon + Defense Up Equipment and I found that farming Yojimbo would have been tiring so I decided to just Zamato Penance.... Should have went back to face him the fair way but I didnt want to farm Yojimbo for that trophy. I played the PS2 version a long time ago and brought all my notes for the HD Remaster so doing the Celestial Weapons didn't pose as tedious as I played them on the PS2 version. But the most tedious thing i had to endure in the HD Remaster was the races in Remiem Temple, many times I would accidentally hit the wall killing my time and costing me the race... 

Most of the post game stuff are pretty hard. On the PS2 version I picked the expert grid and managed to defeat the dark aeons and penance back then, but I'm from even close to doing it now. I'm very bad a mini games in general, so Blitzball, the Chocobo game, and Lightning Dancer are very hard for me. I also don't like Blitzball so I wasn't bothered to try and get Wakka's reels and his Celestial weapon. The chocobo game is by far the most difficult that I wish it was just as part of Tidus's celestial weapon and not a trophy for it as well. 

FFX is the only FF platinum that is indeed beyond my reach at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

On the PS2 version I picked the expert grid

Sadly, the expert grid is just a worse grid overall. It may be easier to fill the entire grid, but that's only because it has decent amount of less spheres on the grid, but this limits how strong you can become.

46 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Most of the post game stuff are pretty hard. On the PS2 version I picked the expert grid and managed to defeat the dark aeons and penance back then, but I'm from even close to doing it now. I'm very bad a mini games in general, so Blitzball, the Chocobo game, and Lightning Dancer are very hard for me. I also don't like Blitzball so I wasn't bothered to try and get Wakka's reels and his Celestial weapon. The chocobo game is by far the most difficult that I wish it was just as part of Tidus's celestial weapon and not a trophy for it as well. 

FFX is the only FF platinum that is indeed beyond my reach at this point. 

I have the same issue with the Lightning Dancer I used the glitch spot so you know when the lighting hits but the two trophies stopping me is the mini games I am just terrible I am always like a second off or something stupid I have given up

7 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

I have the same issue with the Lightning Dancer I used the glitch spot so you know when the lighting hits but the two trophies stopping me is the mini games I am just terrible I am always like a second off or something stupid I have given up

The lightning stuff is just an extreme test of patience and it sucks balls to miss one strike rather late in an attempt. While you can put the game on pause (IIRC), this isn't necessarily a good idea, because you kinda fall out of it,  but just standing there for all 200 strikes, it really tests you. :(

Which mini games? The chocobo stuff? The first race is a tiny bit of learning approximately where to go, and a lot of luck. Just try and try again and you'll eventually succeed. Kinda lame TBH. The second race, up the temple. I honestly never found this to be too hard. It will usually take me some few tries, but once you get down the basics of it and understand how to not lose a lot of time, and get lucky with the opponent I think (can't remember this too well), you will win. I remember something about the opponent sometimes using different amount of time, if so, just try many times. Yeah, I know, lame. I never had too much issues with any of this though, I think the first race is what infuriates me the most, but might be due to the unfair random hinders, the temple run usually goes smooth after some few tries.

The firefly stuff is just about learning the path, nothing else. Super easy IMO. You shouldn't fail more than like 1 or 2 times per trial. Do wear "no-encounter" equipment I guess.

Edited by MMDE

I was terrible at the Chocobo games. The starting levels and the temple one was a challenge for me and I ended up feeling sorry for chocobo at how many wacks it got in the face! My brother used the Yojimbo method to defeat the dark aeons and Penance back on the PS2, which I was thinking of doing as well but since there's trophies for doing it the proper way it's really worth the extra effort and Gil. If it weren't for that, I would have just used Yuna, Auron and Rikku to beat them since their weapons are the easiest to get and they were the three I used on the ps2. 

For some reason I could never get into the rhythm of the lightning dance like the Youtube videos. I get to around 100 or so, get hit and turn the game off in frustration. I wish it was just 100 bolts instead of 200.  

4 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I was terrible at the Chocobo games. The starting levels and the temple one was a challenge for me and I ended up feeling sorry for chocobo at how many wacks it got in the face! My brother used the Yojimbo method to defeat the dark aeons and Penance back on the PS2, which I was thinking of doing as well but since there's trophies for doing it the proper way it's really worth the extra effort and Gil. If it weren't for that, I would have just used Yuna, Auron and Rikku to beat them since their weapons are the easiest to get and they were the three I used on the ps2. 

For some reason I could never get into the rhythm of the lightning dance like the Youtube videos. I get to around 100 or so, get hit and turn the game off in frustration. I wish it was just 100 bolts instead of 200.  

Worth the extra gil? You honestly don't need to give him all that much, but this is especially true if you've trained him a bit, which takes like an hour or two max. Then you can use him pretty cheaply and reliable with all the Dark Aeons. After like 33k gil it probably isn't worth it anymore, but depends. Just 2050 gil makes a HUGE difference. :P

11 hours ago, MMDE said:

Worth the extra gil? You honestly don't need to give him all that much, but this is especially true if you've trained him a bit, which takes like an hour or two max. Then you can use him pretty cheaply and reliable with all the Dark Aeons. After like 33k gil it probably isn't worth it anymore, but depends. Just 2050 gil makes a HUGE difference. :P

Yojimbo uses an affinity type system, the more you use him the more likely he is going to use Zamato without requiring a large amount of gil, Also 33K seems like a lot at first but if you grind One Eye for AP weapons and get terrible RNG you will have loads of extra money to spare. But to increase Yojimbo affinity, use him for easy battles, and if the battles are easy don't call him back. Don't let him die, give him like 1 gil for basic attacks. I think to at least get him to use Zamato with the lowest amount of gil its like 1,024 but i never tried, i just know you can get that low for Zamato. Also increasing affinity increases the chances of Yojimbo giving you a free hit. And most importantly always give him gil. That Aeon loves his money.

For the Chocobo race that was a tough time but there are like a handful of versions of each course layout so eventually you can find your groove for one of those maps and you will do better some times than others; totally RNG though.

1 minute ago, scoop263411 said:

Yojimbo uses an affinity type system, the more you use him the more likely he is going to use Zamato without requiring a large amount of gil, Also 33K seems like a lot at first but if you grind One Eye for AP weapons and get terrible RNG you will have loads of extra money to spare. But to increase Yojimbo affinity, use him for easy battles, and if the battles are easy don't call him back. Don't let him die, give him like 1 gil for basic attacks. I think to at least get him to use Zamato with the lowest amount of gil its like 1,024 but i never tried, i just know you can get that low for Zamato. Also increasing affinity increases the chances of Yojimbo giving you a free hit. And most importantly always give him gil. That Aeon loves his money.

For the Chocobo race that was a tough time but there are like a handful of versions of each course layout so eventually you can find your groove for one of those maps and you will do better some times than others; totally RNG though.

Do you really think I don't know how Yojimbo works? I've used Yojimbo to kill all the dark aeons several times. I've got him to use Zanmato with 1 gil, many many times. It's not just based on your relationship over time, but it is based on three other factors. It is based on luck. It is based on what you said when you recruited him. If you recruited him to kill strong enemies, then he's gonna pull the strong attacks more often against strong enemies. And lastely, if Yojimbo's overdrive is full, you can easily accomplish this when Yuna's overdrive is full (though you can stack them for Dark Yojimbo's multiple encounters), that really, really boosts his chance of pulling it off. I'm just saying, like 2050 gil makes a huge difference. The gil requirement is exponential, and you only get like 2 more points for each time. I didn't train Yojimbo for 1 or 2 hours. I "trained" him for like 20 minutes max, and then I went and spent like some few thousand, I think like 2050 or 4100 or something along those lines against each of the dark aeons. Most of the time I was able to kill opponent on first attempt, even if he didn't always do Zanmato on first try. I even used him multiple times against Dark Yojimbo. Used him for all but the last fight, and I didn't use a lot of gil on it. Super easy and quick with little effort required.

1 minute ago, MMDE said:

Do you really think I don't know how Yojimbo works? I've used Yojimbo to kill all the dark aeons several times. I've got him to use Zanmato with 1 gil, many many times. It's not just based on your relationship over time, but it is based on three other factors. It is based on luck. It is based on what you said when you recruited him. If you recruited him to kill strong enemies, then he's gonna pull the strong attacks more often against strong enemies. And lastely, if Yojimbo's overdrive is full, you can easily accomplish this when Yuna's overdrive is full (though you can stack them for Dark Yojimbo's multiple encounters), that really, really boosts his chance of pulling it off. I'm just saying, like 2050 gil makes a huge difference. The gil requirement is exponential, and you only get like 2 more points for each time. I didn't train Yojimbo for 1 or 2 hours. I "trained" him for like 20 minutes max, and then I went and spent like some few thousand, I think like 2050 or 4100 or something along those lines against each of the dark aeons. Most of the time I was able to kill opponent on first attempt, even if he didn't always do Zanmato on first try. I even used him multiple times against Dark Yojimbo. Used him for all but the last fight, and I didn't use a lot of gil on it. Super easy and quick with little effort required.

All I know is when I was using a PS2 International guide for Sphere Grinding, which had miscellaneous information it explained that in terms of Yojimbo, without mentioning the fact of including Luck or Yuna's Overdrive into the modifiers,  Yojimbo is based off an Affinity type system that has a significant importance in deciding Yojimbo's actions, depending on your affinitylevel certain actions are increased or modified to prove larger probability. As for that bold claim  said of 1024 gil, that was indeed stupid but what I have seen using that number was seen more often than other gil amounts used. Now yea incorporating max luck and Yuna's Overdrive that also includes a lot of modifications too. This was years ago, I just remember explicitly the whole Affinity-Based System from Yojimbo.

29 minutes ago, scoop263411 said:

All I know is when I was using a PS2 International guide for Sphere Grinding, which had miscellaneous information it explained that in terms of Yojimbo, without mentioning the fact of including Luck or Yuna's Overdrive into the modifiers,  Yojimbo is based off an Affinity type system that has a significant importance in deciding Yojimbo's actions, depending on your affinitylevel certain actions are increased or modified to prove larger probability. As for that bold claim  said of 1024 gil, that was indeed stupid but what I have seen using that number was seen more often than other gil amounts used. Now yea incorporating max luck and Yuna's Overdrive that also includes a lot of modifications too. This was years ago, I just remember explicitly the whole Affinity-Based System from Yojimbo.

Just for the record, I didn't mean luck as in the stat, but more like lucky with RNG! :P

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/18486

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/24392

But basically lots of factors that determines what he uses. What you said when recruited is important (depending on your opponent). Overdrive is super important. How much gil you spend determines quite a bit, but at some point it just becomes more expensive than it's worth just to avoid having to get unlucky and have to reload. And lastly, the factor everyone thinks is so important, and while important, doesn't make that huge of a difference, namely, compatibility/relationship whatever. Sure, it's important, but you don't need to spend that much time on it to get it to a decent level. Depending on what attacks he does, this goes up or down. If you often pay 1 gil, he is more likely to do worse attacks, which will reduce your relationship. If he does decent attacks it will increase. You can increase it with 1 gil. Giving like 1024 or 2048 or even 4096 those gils will greatly increase your chance of him doing good attacks and so you will need to pay less and less to improve, but like 1024 gil is nothing, same with 512 or something.

Edited by MMDE

44 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Just for the record, I didn't mean luck as in the stat, but more like lucky with RNG! :P

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/18486

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/24392

But basically lots of factors that determines what he uses. What you said when recruited is important (depending on your opponent). Overdrive is super important. How much gil you spend determines quite a bit, but at some point it just becomes more expensive than it's worth just to avoid having to get unlucky and have to reload. And lastly, the factor everyone thinks is so important, and while important, doesn't make that huge of a difference, namely, compatibility/relationship whatever. Depending on what attacks he does, this goes up or down. If you often pay 1 gil, he is more likely to do worse attacks, which will reduce your relationship. If he does decent attacks it will increase. You can increase it with 1 gil. Giving like 1024 or 2048 or even 4096 those gils will greatly increase your chance of him doing good attacks and so you will need to pay less and less to improve, but like 1024 gil is nothing, same with 512 or something.

Yea my knowledge of it was along the lines of Max compatibility is 255, in international you start at a set number of affinity, Yojimbo dies you lose so many, Yojimbo attacks you get so many, Yojimbo receives so much gil his attacks are better, etc. Which was enough evidence at the time for me to go hey Yojimbo RNG can be manipulated enough to the fact Zamato isn't a wild goose chase, and you can rely on it. Nothing about the specific Motivation modifier included, or that his attacks increase his compatibility. But I did heavily motivate him to kill that blasted Dark Bahamut.

Heh... Sooo usually I comment all the quotes, when i finally read back i forgot to talk about the quote from DarkSoleride did, hence elaborating your statement on the pure basics of yojimbo compatability, true I didnt mention the whole "In addition to what MMDE said" It really didnt help my case, oh well at least I learned more about Yojimbo calculations.

Edited by scoop263411

The lightning dodge was tedious, but I got that on my 3rd attempt. The chocobo race keeps me from platinum though. I try an hour every few months, still haven't managed it. Going to try again when FFX can become my 250th platinum. Maybe that'll give me the incentive to keep trying until I finally get that.
I beat some dark aeons with near max stats and zanmato'd dark anima, nemesis and penance. By that time I had a huge load of cash at hand anyway. I thought I might as well use the cash for zanmato as nothing else in the game would cost me money anway.

The easiest was farming every character to max level. I read all those weapon/armor setups for farming that. It you know what, all a waste of time. I just used every character in every fight while farming the sphere orbs for maxing out all the grid and stats, and that in itself gave enough sphere grid points to level up everyone. Didn't need to farm beyond getting the grid in order.

36 minutes ago, de_digibeet said:

The lightning dodge was tedious, but I got that on my 3rd attempt. The chocobo race keeps me from platinum though. I try an hour every few months, still haven't managed it. Going to try again when FFX can become my 250th platinum. Maybe that'll give me the incentive to keep trying until I finally get that.
I beat some dark aeons with near max stats and zanmato'd dark anima, nemesis and penance. By that time I had a huge load of cash at hand anyway. I thought I might as well use the cash for zanmato as nothing else in the game would cost me money anway.

The easiest was farming every character to max level. I read all those weapon/armor setups for farming that. It you know what, all a waste of time. I just used every character in every fight while farming the sphere orbs for maxing out all the grid and stats, and that in itself gave enough sphere grid points to level up everyone. Didn't need to farm beyond getting the grid in order.

It can't be that bad.When you start,aim for the balloons before you turn right.If i remember you can get all but one.Just stay above the other chocobo.On the open filed stay on the left and avoid birds,don't bother with balloons.When you turn left,it's a liitle tricky because you have to get a few balloons while avoiding birds.It's best to stay on the left for that part as well (less bird activity)

On 4/3/2017 at 1:07 PM, sephiroth4424 said:

It can't be that bad.When you start,aim for the balloons before you turn right.If i remember you can get all but one.Just stay above the other chocobo.On the open filed stay on the left and avoid birds,don't bother with balloons.When you turn left,it's a liitle tricky because you have to get a few balloons while avoiding birds.It's best to stay on the left for that part as well (less bird activity)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I try again.

*edit*

I finally got it. Spend a few more hours on it during the past few days, tried again today, not counting on getting lucky, got it in my third attempt today. With this Final Fantasy X has indeed become my 250th platinum :D.

Edited by de_digibeet

• 9 months later...