DO NOT INSTALL PATCH 1.02 ("Can't Stop Won't Stop" Side Quest Bugged)

I saw a few comments regarding this issue on another post but I might as well just explicitly warn anyone that might still have the chance to avoid this issue. 

Basically the last available side quest of Chapter 12 is now bugged thanks to patch 1.02. You cannot make progress even if you meet the G-Bike minigame requirements, making the side quest impossible to finish. I'm unaware if this issue is affecting everyone but a lot of people, me included, are stuck on this side quest (at least for now).

Here is a reddit thread that explains the issue further and shows proof of the bug: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyVII/comments/1bk0j6t/rebirth_cant_stop_wont_stop_quest_bugged/

There are only a few solutions to this bug:

1. Do not install patch 1.02, it seems the bug is tied to it.
  2. If you have already installed the patch but you're playing with a physical copy: simply uninstall the game, disconnect from the internet and play the 1.0 version on your CD. This should fix the problem and let you finish the quest.
  3. If you have already installed the patch but you're playing with a digital copy: I believe we will have to wait for another patch that fixes this issue.

I don't know if this can be reported to SE in any way but honestly this should be fixed in a few days at most considering it's a very notorious progression bug.

I don't know if it's related but can be "Gold Cup or Bust" sidequest also bugged? I accepted this quest on a Costa del Sol board (I think) and it points me to Gold Saucer to talk with Billy. Well, I head to Gold Saucer, I head to the mark in front of the chocobo racing and Billy is not there. In fact, the green icon of the mission has an x underneath and I don't know if it's locked for some reason. I know you have to do the "Esoteric Secrets of the Elders" side quest, wich I've already done in Chapter 11, and I've completed all races available at the desk (I think Bahamut was the last one).

My main mission is going to the Ferris Wheel with Tifa, I don't know if that matters (maybe the mission is locked?)

Any advice?

EDIT: Nevermind, after all scenes with Cait Sith Billy appeared in the Chocobo Square.

Edited by breakXedge

6 minutes ago, den-69 said:

How do they mess this up so badly lol how do we let them know about these issues also?

With the sheer size of the game, it's basically impossible to know if something obscure like a check for scores suddenly breaks as a result of changes elsewhere because code gets messy over repeated iterations. No guarantees it's the same folk working on these patches that worked on specific sections of the game etc, a multitude of reasons really.

Hopefully it gets resolved soon, and hopefully in addition they add a means to replay the UPA Challenge Fight because if you aren't doing that Quest on Hard Mode you're gonna miss the Scripture for Cait Sith, unless you plan on doing all of the Side Quests again to trigger it a second time. 

5 minutes ago, GibiusMaximus said:

With the sheer size of the game, it's basically impossible to know if something obscure like a check for scores suddenly breaks as a result of changes elsewhere because code gets messy over repeated iterations. No guarantees it's the same folk working on these patches that worked on specific sections of the game etc, a multitude of reasons really.

Hopefully it gets resolved soon, and hopefully in addition they add a means to replay the UPA Challenge Fight because if you aren't doing that Quest on Hard Mode you're gonna miss the Scripture for Cait Sith, unless you plan on doing all of the Side Quests again to trigger it a second time. 

Do we need the scripture for the platinum? I just started chapter 12 and think im going to have to uninstall the game and reinstall the game without the patch before doing that specific side quest. 

28 minutes ago, abhinandhan22 said:

Do we need the scripture for the platinum? I just started chapter 12 and think im going to have to uninstall the game and reinstall the game without the patch before doing that specific side quest. 

The scriptures aren't directly required for the platinum, but having more will clearly make things a little easier in the later challenges/hard mode etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Which trophy does this glitch affect?

"My Job Here is Done," for completing all sidequests. This particular quest also gives a Johnny item for "7-Star Hotel."

• Like 2

I had an issue where I finished the game and unlocked the trophy for chapter 14. Afterwards I finally updated my ps5 as I'd been putting it off while I was playing Rebirth, then the game also updated and my trophy disappeared off my psn and the game was showing I never completed it even after getting chapter select. Was a weird glitch, tried resyncing trophies etc.. but to no avail. Took a couple days but issue seems to have fixed itself and the trophy appeared on my account and game shows 100% story complete now, very odd

6 minutes ago, Vivis_apprentice said:

I had an issue where I finished the game and unlocked the trophy for chapter 14. Afterwards I finally updated my ps5 as I'd been putting it off while I was playing Rebirth, then the game also updated and my trophy disappeared off my psn and the game was showing I never completed it even after getting chapter select. Was a weird glitch, tried resyncing trophies etc.. but to no avail. Took a couple days but issue seems to have fixed itself and the trophy appeared on my account and game shows 100% story complete now, very odd

That's a known and longstanding issue with the PS5's crappy trophy syncing code but it is fixed by waiting a few hours, then earning another trophy in another game and forcing a manual sync :).

Had a save file before I did expert, even if it is the first time and says you cleared the upa score it doesn’t register so the side quest can’t continue! Just a heads up if anyone wants to reload previous save! Guess wait for a fix!

• Like 1

If you saved mid-quest, the game always autosaves when you enter Gold Saucer, so for those who just found themselves in this situation like me, there's still a chance to reload the autosave to stay safe while they don't patch it.

Edited by Sythroz

Just popped the trophy on the latest patch, was not bugged for me

I did not lauch the mission before patch 1.02 maybe thats what did it for me

I started with G Bike just to see if it would take my score and it did

I also did beat my PB on G Bike maybe that made the difference

Anyway its not bugged for everybody at least

• Like 1

Just started this quest yesterday and was going to hold off because of this but just did G Bike and everything progressed normally for me. What the above reply mentioned might be it. Didn't start UPA until after the patch was installed so everything seems to be fine for now for me at least.

• Like 1

I'm at chapter 4 and Junon's parade minigame is also bugged now. First few inputs are fine but then three of them are impossible to get, I always miss no matter how I time it. Restarted the minigame several times, I fear to let it finish in case I couldn't get the highest rating by the end. Very disappointing.

29 minutes ago, Terminus124 said:

I'm at chapter 4 and Junon's parade minigame is also bugged now. First few inputs are fine but then three of them are impossible to get, I always miss no matter how I time it. Restarted the minigame several times, I fear to let it finish in case I couldn't get the highest rating by the end. Very disappointing.

Make a recording of it so we can see. I remember forgetting the difference between the tapping and the holding ones sometimes which messed me up until I looked at the tutorial again lol

On 3/24/2024 at 10:20 AM, HuntingFever said:

That's a known and longstanding issue with the PS5's crappy trophy syncing code but it is fixed by waiting a few hours, then earning another trophy in another game and forcing a manual sync :).

Yeah have had the issue before, but not like this, after trying to resync etc.. I started up Rise of the Ronin popped a trophy thinking it would push through my missing trophy, but it didn't, even after 3 more trophies still didn't appear. Just randomly synced itself up in rest mode after 48 hours. But the other thing was that the game itself was telling me i hadn't finished chapter 14 either, I'm wondering if there was a game hotfix that solved it as apposed to a PS5 problem

On 3/24/2024 at 2:15 PM, joshlabrioche_ said:

Just popped the trophy on the latest patch, was not bugged for me

I did not lauch the mission before patch 1.02 maybe thats what did it for me

I started with G Bike just to see if it would take my score and it did

I also did beat my PB on G Bike maybe that made the difference

Anyway its not bugged for everybody at least

I just now got to the point where that quest unlocks. Beat his score and nothing happens.  Stays at 0/5 complete.  If it worked for you, then yeah, it must not be busted for everyone, but I have no idea what causes it.

I did everything the same as you.  I just now got that quest unlocked.  Went straight to G-Bike since I had seen this thread about it.  Also beat my PB.

Edited by DoctorBaofu

2 hours ago, DoctorBaofu said:

I just now got to the point where that quest unlocks. Beat his score and nothing happens.  Stays at 0/5 complete.  If it worked for you, then yeah, it must not be busted for everyone, but I have no idea what causes it.

I did everything the same as you.  I just now got that quest unlocked.  Went straight to G-Bike since I had since this thread about it.  Also beat my PB.

Dang these people gave me hope that it was fine as long as you hadn't started the quest before 1.02 so I let my game update lol. Only 2 quests left to do before it and really hoping they patch it soon...