What's your unpopular opinion about trophies?

37 minutes ago, draqilo said:

I never understood why people care about if a game have platinum or if is a gold or bronze trophy. I don't care about it, why guys(most people on PSNP) care about the trophy level or the trophy count? I only care about the trophy rarity. 

I personally don’t mind if a game has a platinum (kinda obvious from some games I play haha) - But yeah I like UR trophies as well. 

I can’t speak for the guys of PSNP but us gals just play 😛 

4 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I've never really seen anyone actually wanting games to be Uber difficult, but I do think a lot of people want a little difficulty thrown in so it doesn't feel like a participation bonus.

I was genuinely baffled when both Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West asked players to just collect a few things instead of everything.

Exactly, they become like a shopping list of things to get and I hate shopping.

I loved rift apart. But the trophy list was a huge insult. My dog could get the platinum on that game.

I like some of the rata retro goodness but their trophy lists always suck. I turn off trophy notifications when I play them so I don't feel underwhelmed.

2 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

99.9% of trophies can be obtained by 99.99% of functional people.

People who claim they can't obtain a trophy are lying to themselves and simply lack proper self esteem, not skills.

I quite like this thought! And I would also say that most of these trophies that functional people will obtain comes easier and funnier while not optimizing a run, sometimes even not looking at the list... I thing that fear of missables have ruined some of the experience. I remember losing a trophy in The Witcher 3 at launch in my previous account, then it took like 10 or less hours to do a speedrun in the easiest setting just to get to that story based, missable trophy. That was 10 hours lost... But now I wonder: how many hours of enjoyment I might have lost due to going overprepared for trophies? 

I deviate because I'm too much into my "fun above trophies" approach, so...

Coming back to your thought: so let's say that the only trophy I wasn't able to conquer yet which is from Metal Slug XX isn't lack of skill, but rather will! Yeah! 

But do you think there is a limit everyone will have when it comes to skill? I started to believe that there is, and accepted it, for sure.

6 hours ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

Chasing UR trophies is a pointless endeavor. Ultimately, the only reason a trophy is UR is because the number of achievers divided by owners < or = 5%.

Unless you're on a rarity leaderboard. I use one. It's more like how leaderboards used to be before shovelware, autopops and debug modes made them a joke

On a unrelated note. I'm eating while reading and slow. If a mod wants to combine my posts, that's cool. Not spamming on purpose

2 hours ago, GothGirlMaxine said:

I can’t speak for the guys of PSNP but us gals just play 😛 

Don't wanna be rude or start arguing, but isn't it a little bit sexist? The best trophy hunter I once knew is a woman.

And she taught me that there is not such a thing: the best trophy hunter.

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Startyde said:

If someone has 10 "shovelware" plats, they are by definition a better trophy hunter than someone with 1 Ultra Rare. 

Just no on every level.

2 hours ago, J-S_93 said:

Unpopular Opinion:

Collectible Trophies are quite possibly one of the most worst objectives a player has to endure in video games...  And quite frankly is lazy game design used to artificially extend the game's playtime without actually providing anything meaningful or fun for the player do.

And I want to UNINSTALL the devs that coded them into the games I play.  (Not really, but I cannot stand Collectibles... Or Speed-running Trophies...  I would rather stare at the ceiling and do nothing instead.)

You weren't a gamer in the 90s obviously

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, GravityQueeen said:

I quite like this thought! And I would also say that most of these trophies that functional people will obtain comes easier and funnier while not optimizing a run, sometimes even not looking at the list... I thing that fear of missables have ruined some of the experience. I remember losing a trophy in The Witcher 3 at launch in my previous account, then it took like 10 or less hours to do a speedrun in the easiest setting just to get to that story based, missable trophy. That was 10 hours lost... But now I wonder: how many hours of enjoyment I might have lost due to going overprepared for trophies? 

I deviate because I'm too much into my "fun above trophies" approach, so...

Coming back to your thought: so let's say that the only trophy I wasn't able to conquer yet which is from Metal Slug XX isn't lack of skill, but rather will! Yeah! 

But do you think there is a limit everyone will have when it comes to skill? I started to believe that there is, and accepted it, for sure.

I don't think people are all that different on average in terms of skill. Most of the time it comes down to experience.

My go to genre is strategy.  Games like XCOM, Invisible Inc etc are supposedly difficult but anyone can beat them if they have experience in the genre to identify patterns. I'd image it's the same thing for people who primarily play fighters, or even sports games.

I've got full confidence you'll get Metal Slug knocked off your incomplete game's list in due time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GravityQueeen said:

Don't wanna be rude or start arguing, but isn't it a little bit sexist? The best trophy hunter I once knew is a woman.

And she thought me that there is not such a thing: the best trophy hunter.

I was kidding anyway. As a woman, I cannot be sexist against myself lol

Edited by GothGirlMaxine
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

16 minutes ago, GravityQueeen said:

Those kind of thoughts and attitudes can be expressed by anyone. But sorry then, I'm not good at catching irony sometimes. 

All good, I shall be mindful of how I come across ^^

• Like 1

Open source custom servers shouldn't be allowed, period--not a requirement for approval. If anyone is going to bother with a custom server to hack trophies over cfw, it's going to be with an open source one they can more easily modify and run themselves to grant the trophies automatically/easier.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

The platinum should be scrapped. It's all people care about on here. By scrapping it, it'd make the other trophies actually worth something. It wouldn't stop shovelware but it'd definitely help with it.

I kinda agree with that. People who avoid 100% games because "no plat, no to play" mentality is so wrong.

Imagine GTA 6 without a plat. 🤣

+ a lot of 100% games are better than games with a platinum.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix

NG+ are the worst type of trophies. Worse than grinds, collectibles, MP. They serve no purpose in complimenting a game and getting you to do things that could enrich the experience of a game as trophies should intend to do. They are only manageable when combined with other trophies that require another run.

• Like 1

Before: The higher someones level on PSN was the more badass and skillful I thought that person was.
(wow, that person has 3 platinums and those are dead space 2, devil may cry 3 and street fighter 4. Must be a god!)

Now: The higher the level, the more BS is probably on that profile.
(wow, that person has 9999 platinums look at all those 5 mins plat visual novels, 5 versions of the same game and games that no one knew existed)

Its not like PSN level was ever relevant BUT theres indeed a HUGE difference between how people will approach to the SAME GAME in 2014 than in 2024.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

They’re up for debate of course, but IMO:

1. Overall Quality of the game
  2. General Popularity of the game
  3. Genre
  4. Inclusion in PS+
  5. Stacks/ Autopop-abilty
  6. presence of glitches/ exploits
  7. Length of game/grind
  8. online elements
  9. missable-ness
  10. Existence of guides

1, 2 and 4 are linked and should share the same spot. While a game being of good quality or available on PS+ doesn't mean that it'll have a lot of players, it might make them popular, thus having an effect on its rarity. A game being good or on PS+ makes no difference if no one cares. One could make the argument that also number 3, genre, is linked, since at the end it's also a matter of popularity.

I don't think stacks have a big impact on a game's trophy rarity. Sure, a game might be more desirable to certain trophy hunters if they can pop the rest of the stacks, but they first have to deal with the original stack and its difficulty. Wolfenstein 2, for example, wouldn't see a noticeable changed in its rarity if people could now get a native PS5 version. Would be difficult to prove without numbers, though.

Truth is, there is no simple answer, but I can't imagine difficulty not being among the top ten, if not the top five. 

1 hour ago, ShadyWARcotix said:

I kinda agree with that. People who avoid 100% games because "no plat, no to play" mentality is so wrong. Imagine GTA 6 without a plat. + a lot of 100% games are better than games with a platinum.

I think it's just about how specific individuals feel rewarded for their time and effort upon completion, I see it akin to people wanting to be paid what they feel their time and skills are worth, and certain players won't play certain titles if they feel it isn't rewarding enough for them and their time, just like how a person might perhaps turn down a job that doesn't pay them enough; that's the sort of thing and example that springs to mind when thinking about this subject, and each person definitely has opposing or agreeing views on this mentality.