What's your unpopular opinion about trophies?

11 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Not true now though is it. You don't need to 100% games to get a platinum. They became participation trophies years ago

Nonsense. They are still automatically the hardest trophy to get in any (base) game. DLC is something they just can't account for either way, because that would mean taking an already earned trophy away again every time new DLC comes out.

There might be badly designed lists that end after the first few levels (hey, Ratalaika, are you listening?), but that is the respective publisher's decision.

Edited by shadaik

9 hours ago, J-S_93 said:

I was, though not sure how that applies to an opinion though, but okay :dunno:

Because platformers where you had to collect everything were all the rage. Mario 64, banjo, croc, spyro spring to mind

8 hours ago, ozymandias1994 said:

Hardcore trophies have nothing to do with skill, only amount of free time that person has.

Wrong. I'd never be able to do Devil May Cry, Street Fighter 4 or Super meat boy

1 hour ago, shadaik said:

Nonsense. They are still automatically the hardest trophy to get in any (base) game. DLC is something they just can't account for either way, because that would mean taking an already earned trophy away again every time new DLC comes out.

There might be badly designed lists that end after the first few levels (hey, Ratalaika, are you listening?), but that is the respective publisher's decision.

It's not nonsense. Recent games do not require 100% to get the platinum. Look at Rift Apart and Spider-Man 2 for example.

Edited by RedDevil757
Formatting

Making the most difficult part of a trophy list online is a dirty move (speaking of games with notable offline modes).

Edited by Crono

3 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

It's not nonsense. Recent games do not require 100% to get the platinum. Look at Rift Apart and Spider-Man 2 for example.

Both require 100% of the base game trophies, there are no platinums that don't.

Games that required 100% in-game (in those genres that even had such a thing) have always been a rare occurance. Not doing so could be considered a bad trophy list (not by me, though), but that has nothing to do with whether every game should have a platinum or not.

Online trophies are fine as long as they're not requiring you to do absolutely outrageous feats (6 kills in 2 seconds BFBC1 cough cough). And even if they do, it's fine because then you make new friends from boosting 🤣

Edited by willmill97

1 hour ago, shadaik said:

Both require 100% of the base game trophies, there are no platinums that don't.

Games that required 100% in-game (in those genres that even had such a thing) have always been a rare occurance. Not doing so could be considered a bad trophy list (not by me, though), but that has nothing to do with whether every game should have a platinum or not.

I think you misunderstood me. I don't mean 100% of the trophies to pop the platinum. I mean 100% the game to pop it. I see less and less that require it.

14 hours ago, ozymandias1994 said:

Hardcore trophies have nothing to do with skill, only amount of free time that person has.

I think you meant UR trophies, cuz hardcore trophies are always, by definition, skill-based.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

99.9% of trophies can be obtained by 99.99% of functional people.

People who claim they can't obtain a trophy are lying to themselves and simply lack proper self esteem, not skills.

This is kinda true. Except for those games were I'm really outside ot the skill level like DMC or GT, most of them end up incompleted because:

1. I don't like them

2. Really boring/long to do.

3. Don't want to do it.

In the end nothing stops someone healthy to complete a game in a hard setting or doing the same action 1000 times, we're all the same and have the same core habilities. It's just the boredom of a long, tedious or hard task that stop us.

I've played 6 chapters once of Uncharted in the hardest setting and disliked it so much that I never went for those kind of trophies; I prefer to enjoy my hobbies than spend time in something I end up regretting.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 2

• A release should have only one Trophy list. No Stacks. 

• A re-release should be examined via official PlayStation moderators/AI and pass certain comparision and development cost criterias to be valid for its' own Trophy list.

Edited by Seamndel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seamndel said:

• A re-release should be examined via official PlayStation moderators/AI and pass certain comparision and development cost criterias to be valid for its' own Trophy list.

I would only accept this for re-releases that come with added content (Persona 5 Royal, Dragon Quest XI S, ...)

2 hours ago, Seamndel said:

• A release should have only one Trophy list. No Stacks. 

True, I already posted in this thread but how could I forget that.

As far as I'm concerned, one game should equal to one, and only one Trophy list. Screw PS4/PS5 stacks, regional stacks, re-release stacks, autopop and such bullshit. 🤣

• Like 1

The thumbnail/game icon/banner/whatever you want to call it, is very important to look nice. Sometimes you can tell the effort they have put into the game's trophies just by how nice they've made the thumbnail look.

Ones which are just black background and logo blow asssss. (Dead Island 2, The Last of Us, Control).

Ones which look colourful and vibrant with things happening (logo or no logo), are much more appealing to the eye; pure judging a book by its cover territory. (Tekken 8, Metal Hellsinger, Elden Ring, Spider-man 2).

Edited by willmill97
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

The thumbnail/game icon/banner/whatever you want to call it, is very important to look nice. Sometimes you can tell the effort they have put into the game's trophies just by how nice they've made the thumbnail look.

Ones which are just black background and logo blow asssss. (Dead Island 2, The Last of Us, Control).

Ones which look colourful and vibrant with things happening (logo or no logo), are much more appealing to the eye; pure judging a book by its cover territory. (Tekken 8, Metal Hellsinger, Elden Ring, Spider-man 2).

You can also include trophy names. Take Horizon Zero Dawn, for example: The trophy names are generic, they literally tell you what you did to unlock them. And then the platinum is something like "Platinum Trophy" or "All trophies obtained".

Edited by TheWestPT
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, TheWestPT said:

You can also include trophy names. Take Horizon Zero Dawn, for example: The trophy names are generic, they literally tell you what you did to unlock them. And then the platinum is something like "Platinum Trophy" or "All trophies obtained".

Yes, however I think your comment is much more popular than mine 😝

• Like 1

Sometimes wish trophies didn't exist so I could just enjoy games without worrying about them.

ALSO

Autopop has ruined 100% completion stats to the point they are now pointless.

Edited by pnepnepne
  • Like 2

I got 2 unpopular "in my opinion":

• It doesn't matter at all whether a game has a platinum or not, all that matters is that the game is good/enjoyable.
  • On this site, a trophy list for a game does not truly count as complete until all the trophies have been achieved (S rank or bust :lol:)

• Like 4

Trophies have not improved gaming as a whole.

Up until last year, trophies turned my PlayStation gaming from "play a game to have fun, enjoying the story and/or experience" to "Play a game to have fun, but focus on earning all the trophies you want then drop it immediately afterwards."

Last year I returned to Fallout 4 and Hitman for several weeks each just to have fun. 

Trophy-shovelware games wouldn't exist as the market wouldn't be there. 

Trophies force playing games a certain way (Prey and Deus Ex are good examples, forcing restrictions on entire playthroughs).

Trophies force repetition, doing "x" hundreds or even thousands of times to lengthen playtime.

Trophies may get people to play a game differently, or engage in otherwise unused game systems, but on the flip-side it can also get people to only play a certain way to get trophies rather than experiment and try things organically.

• Like 4

The difficulty of a list, or specific trophy(s), is subjective on a player-to-player basis, and so what's an 8/10 for some is a 5/10 for others (and vice versa) without any necessary fault for either party. Therefore, trophy guide difficulty/time estimates are subjective and will vary in practice between players, but that doesn't mean it needs adjusting for every single player input, just the average experience.

• Like 3

Things would be better if non-plat lists were more common like they were back in the PS3 and early PS4 days. Not even counting stuff like Rata games and the literal trophy apps, there's a pretty sizable number of games out there that have a plat you can get in the space of a few hours even as far back as the mid-10s with plenty of shorter and/or smaller-scale games that would normally get non-100% lists showing up with a plat, sometimes with some paltry amount of trophies that could've easily fit into a non-plat list even by the old 285-315 point standard. It's also certainly led to an emboldened sense of "no plat, no play" when basically everything can have a plat, ergo it almost feels like everything should have a plat even if the trophy list absolutely doesn't need it.

If anything, the new standard for non-100% lists where they can have up to 945 trophy points (literally a bronze away from the minimum for a plat list) in their base list is a welcome change since it means there's less incentive to shove a plat in a game now that you can have basically a full trophy list without one. Just a shame it's mostly being used by run-of-the-mill games no one's heard of (also I guess Tomb Raider, though that's moreso one of those "everything is a DLC list" cases) rather than anything notable and AFAIK, it hasn't come with any tightening of standards for what constitutes a plat so we still have plats on damn near everything. 🫠

• Like 1

I think that developers as well as Sony should be held accountable for broken trophies. This could mean anything from using more resources in general to reassure they unlock as they should, to pull a game from the store after a certain amount of time has passed without having addressed the problem.

While that wouldn't necessarily be unpopular in the trophy community, the ones responsible probably wouldn't like it.🙂

• Like 4