What's your unpopular opinion about trophies?

1 minute ago, Breakingthegreen said:

The best kinds of trophies are the ones that teach you about game mechanics. Were you aware that you can place a unpinned grenade in someone's pocket in fallout 4? I didn't until I read the trophy list.

Agree on that - Immersive Sims like Prey and the Dishonoured games are good for that - and recently, the puzzle game Viewfinder was an absolute lesson in how to do that effectively 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Fr_0zt said:

Trophies were a bad idea.  It's taken the joy and freedom for many and it has destroyed the minds of others.

You're right that trophies have ruined the fun for some people, but there's a very simple solution to this: Just stop caring about completion percents and plat counts. I use trophies as a way to get more out of the games I really enjoy, and I stop trophy hunting when I stop having fun with the game.

Completion percentages don't matter. That game you know you would never be able to platinum? Boot it up on your main profile and treat it like a video game rather than a chore. Maybe you'll start enjoying this hobby again 😜

• Like 3

The platinum should be scrapped. It's all people care about on here. By scrapping it, it'd make the other trophies actually worth something. It wouldn't stop shovelware but it'd definitely help with it.

I'm sure everyone will disagree but then some of you would be happy if all other trophies were scrapped, leaving just a single platinum trophy.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I've never really seen anyone actually wanting games to be Uber difficult, but I do think a lot of people want a little difficulty thrown in so it doesn't feel like a participation bonus. There's nothing wrong with games that are not hard, and they can be a lot of fun, but it gets annoying when you become aware it is a mandate from Sony to ensure their first-party titles all kind of feel the same difficulty-wise. I think that's the bigger reason why people get angry. It isn't easy for a natural reason.

I was genuinely baffled when both Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West asked players to just collect a few things instead of everything. And Spider-Man 2 sitting at like a 70% completion rating is the perfect example of a participation bonus.

Well now I like where the difficulty is, but whether the trophy list itself is good, is something else entirely. I too complained about Rift Apart not requiring you to max out the weapons or getting a Bajillion bolts, finishing a NG+, etc. I enjoyed the difficulty of Rift Apart but the trophy list was oddly skimp.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

Unpopular Opinion:

Collectible Trophies are quite possibly one of the most worst objectives a player has to endure in video games...  And quite frankly is lazy game design used to artificially extend the game's playtime without actually providing anything meaningful or fun for the player to do.

And I want to UNINSTALL the devs that coded them into the games I play.  (Not really, but I cannot stand Collectibles... Or Speed-running Trophies...  I would rather stare at the ceiling and do nothing instead.)

Edited by J-S_93
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

It's not about me liking it or not. But it's easy to see why you feel that way when you treat trophies as something to earn, instead of just playing games naturally.

I can only speak for myself, but when I have to play a game while glued to a video collectible walkthrough, or play an entire game a very specific way to make sure I earn a missable trophy at the end of the game, or have to boost with 10+ other people some horribly boring/grindy multiplayer trophies, all of this feels like work, and is not fun at all. Because it is not something I would ever do naturally

It does not mean I don't enjoy gaming or the games I play, its just that most times I play a game past the point I'm having fun with it, in order to get the platinum 

I'm also guilty of 'playing' shovelware at times just for a quick plat

• Like 1

I seem to be one of a very small group of people that loves collectibles and any trophies associated with them. I also love trophies for getting 100% completion as well! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1