Unobtainable Trophies

I wonder if it would be possible to implement a trophy option/tag to say that this you can't get a certain trophy anymore.

For exemple, my WWE All-Stars trophy percentage is at about 82-85% complete, but, since the servers are offline, I'll never be able to complete the game 100%.

So I wonder if we could tag the trophies as ''locked'' with an option on your profile that could hide them from view and recalculate the percentage of games as if they weren't there anymore (but not being 100%, maybe saying something like Complete)

I'm already concerned about this issue and I'm a new player on a new console. Not getting through my games very fast and I'd hate to think that in a years time those games still sat on my shelf incomplete may never ever be able to get finished. Assassins Creed 4 is pretty new and I was starting to wonder if id ever get a game lab going. 

Guess I need to be brave and venture into the gaming sessions to find others after the same trophies. Anyone else have a phobia of playing with others!? lol

• Like 1

It sucks alot of games are screwed because they have no sever i think games that are old and have no server should find new servers

If it's a relatively recent release, there's a validity to this.  If it's a game that's several years old, there's little-to-no benefit to a company to bother.  Maintaining servers is not free, and the player base for an old title is often non-existent.  Why should a company shell out money and effort to support a game at that stage when they aren't likely to see any reasonable returns?

If it's a relatively recent release, there's a validity to this.  If it's a game that's several years old, there's little-to-no benefit to a company to bother.  Maintaining servers is not free, and the player base for an old title is often non-existent.  Why should a company shell out money and effort to support a game at that stage when they aren't likely to see any reasonable returns?

Because to these companies, the cost of renting a server for an old game is equivalent to pennies. And they continue to sell these games, despite the servers being closed. It's like you buying a sandwich at a fast food store and then only getting half because they "can't afford the other half". It's a bullshit cop-out.

Edit: The gamespy thing is a completely different scenario as the actual server-hosting company went under several years ago.

Edited by BeautifulTorment
  • Like 2

Tagging trophies that can't be obtained anymore sounds like a good idea... People would be able to report an unobtainable trophy and someone (Sly or his angels) could look into it to see if it's legit. (somewhat like cheater reports).

The recalculating idea sucks

Because to these companies, the cost of renting a server for an old game is equivalent to pennies. And they continue to sell these games, despite the servers being closed. It's like you buying a sandwich at a fast food store and then only getting half because they "can't afford the other half". It's a bullshit cop-out.

To some companies, this is probably true.  But I'll bet there are some companies out there that don't have bricks of cash sitting around to use on any old thing.

Even if it is true, why should a company maintain a server for an old game for that small handful of players who might still want to use it?  Even if it's money that they won't miss, the benefit to them doing so falls somewhere between "slim" and "none".  If you're actually trying to run a business -- as opposed to running a charity -- you don't get very far if you spend money in such a cavalier fashion.... while the possibility does exist that it's simply bricks of cash sitting next to the CEO's desk, it could very easily be money that could otherwise be used on another project, say to develop another game that could improve the company's sales.

Just because GameStop or whomever continues to sell an outdated game whose servers are gone isn't a good enough reason for companies to spend the money to maintain servers for a handful of people.

The only way this would work would be to identify those that are 100% unobtainable due to things like trophies that have always and will always be glitched, servers that are now down or something like Burn Zombie Burn where the DLC was never released. There are a few issues. The first is that there is a lot of ambiguity to this. There are trophies in some games that glitch for some while not others in a way where it is unobtainable, say in an online game where your stats are saved to servers and you can't repeat reaching a certain rank or unlocking something for a trophy. Sure, you could label these as bugged, but that's not the only case. There are trophies that are only obtainable for certain versions. Tom Clancy's EndWar for example, there is a trophy that can not unlock via the disc version, while a different trophy can not unlock on the digital version, sure that doesn't make them unattainable, but this is all in ambiguity. And now, there are some trophies that can still be obtained by some, but not by others, which is the biggest case of ambiguity. Example: Army of Two the 40th Day sports the DIY PMC trophy. Now, the servers for the mask creator required for the trophy have been shutdown for some time. But it is still possible to earn for those who went on the site and uploaded the mask to the servers and downloaded it to their games profile, but didn't wear it in a public match yet as the trophy details. Thus, some people can still earn it, not making it 100% unobtainable. The last part of this is trophies that are glitched only in some areas. Such as Mindjack, where it is impossible to play online if you are using an Asian PS3. So, basically, going through and marking all trophies that need it as unobtainable would have to much ambiguity and "what if" to work, unless you attach with it a detailed paragraph for why, which could take too long to do, even for a group.

As for the recalculating idea, that's a terrible idea.

I feel that eventually we will have to do this as servers shut down and with guides being a thing now, and the best possible way would to get some person who their job is to tag them, who would also have like a forum page where everyone could come and update that person on unobtainable trophies and stuff.

Maybe after an unobtainable trophy is tagged, the background color for that trophy would be highlighted like yellow (or some other color) with the words "Unobtainable" or something like that, and maybe that game would also be highlighted yellow on the games page (not on your profile).

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

I feel that eventually we will have to do this as servers shut down and with guides being a thing now, and the best possible way would to get some person who their job is to tag them, who would also have like a forum page where everyone could come and update that person on unobtainable trophies and stuff.

Maybe after an unobtainable trophy is tagged, the background color for that trophy would be highlighted like yellow (or some other color) with the words "Unobtainable" or something like that, and maybe that game would also be highlighted yellow on the games page (not on your profile).

Are you offering yourself? :eyebrow:

• Like 2

Remember when DLC separation for trophy lists used to be an issue but then someone made a thread and, even though dozens of people immediately shot it down, all of the required information was gathered in like 6 days?

Good times.

Excuse me for a moment...

EDIT: Damn it already done like 3 times before. :| #learn2searchbuttonmoar

:(

Edited by effdeegee

There could be an icon for trophies which are definately not obtainable anymore by anyone and another sign for trophies which are known to glitch.

But I dont think it should interfere with completion statistics in any way. If you cant get it because its unobtainable then bad luck. And I'm not being biased because I have fifa 11 which I will never be able to platinum and fifa 10 which I will never be able to 100%.

Edited by fps_d0minat0r