Is YouTube Premium Worth The Cost?

Posted (edited)

So, long story short - Is Premium worth the monthly access fee?

I'm on YouTube a lot, but the cost is $16.99/month here on Kangaroo land.

Premium light at $8.99/month is not worth it IMHO. You still get ads.

My best friend has Premium full, and he says it's worth it. He hates ads.

I refuse to use ad-blockers because you risk an account ban.

Anyone here use Premium full, and how is it? Worth the cost?

I wish they had a yearly plan, but they don't. They really should.

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, disaster500 said:

Since when do ad-blockers put you at risk of being banned? I've never heard of that before. I'm pretty sure video playback is blocked, but your account is fine.

Third-party apps can also block ads, and give you way more features than YT Premium can btw, for free. I've used them on my phone for years, never had any account issues.

I just don't want my YouTube account banned. I read this. That's why I asked about Premium.

When you block YouTube ads, you violate YouTube's Terms of Service. If you use ad blockers, we'll ask you to allow ads on YouTube or sign up for YouTube Premium. If you continue to use ad blockers, we may block your video playback. To avoid the interruption, allow ads on YouTube or sign up for YouTube Premium.

YouTube owner Google's entire business model revolves around advertising, so the service is going to restrict ad blockers if it can. Considering this, Sean Wright, an independent security researcher, says YouTube's ad blocker ban is “hardly surprising.”

Usage of adblocker on youtube is not allowed as adblockers prevent vital revenue getting to google, which is a security risk and violates the EULA, you risk your google account being suspended if you use adblockers, this is why adblockers are not allowed on the chrome web store.

Do not use more than one ad-blocking app or browser extension at the same time. The more ad blockers you have enabled at the same time, the easier it is for YouTube to detect you.

That's why I haven't used them.

• Haha 3

They added more and longer advertisements in purpose, to make Premium seem like a great deal. They take something out of you, and then ask you to pay for that again.

In short, no.

• Like 4

The only real reason one would get Premium is to support the creators you watch without ads.

If you don't care about that then just use an ad-blocker. Technically, yes, it is against the ToS but there's many things in YouTube's ToS that doesn't get enforced and banning you for using ad-blocker is one of them. I've personally used ad-blocker on YouTube for a good 10 years and never once did YouTube give me any kind of warning for using it. Despite what some people believe, it's incredibly difficult to get Google to ban you. They care about copyright infringement, that they will nail you for but they don't care about people using ad-blocker. Half the people that use YouTube regularly are using ad-blockers and I have never heard of a single person that was banned for using one. 

What they will do if they detect you're using an ad-blocker is they'll throttle your video playback speeds to the point you will resort to turning your ad-blocker off or finding one of the other hundreds of ad-blockers out there that YouTube can't yet detect. 

I've since disabled ad-blockers for YouTube simply because the ads is what supports the channels you watch. Having to watch a 5 second skippable ad as a small thanks for the thousands of hours of free content I've watched on YouTube over the years is a very small price that I have no problems paying. 

As a content creator myself, I can also tell you Premium views do not pay as much as if somebody watched the ads regularly so Premium is just another way Google is funneling more ad revenue to themselves rather than the content creators that make the site what it is. In that regard, I do not recommend Premium. Save your money and support the creators you watch by just watching the ads regularly. 

• Like 2

Most of my content watched is on YouTube and it's always either on the TV/PS5/Tablet. 

Whilst I'm not a big fan of paying Google any money, the family plan is useful because you can have 5/6 accounts on there and it's easier than setting up something like a pi-hole for everyone. Plus having adverts really drives me insane. 

The music I listen too is also only available on YT or Soundcloud and having the ability to download it to listen offline especially in the car is great. (no different to Spotify really) 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Many thanks for all of the input. Apparently, they do have an annual plan.

It's $139 in AUSD. Which is equivalent to 19 million bottle tops in my currency🤣

Good idea about sharing the cost. There's me, myself & I. Lol

Edited by TheDarkKratos

No, I just accept ads because I think it's fair for creators to get some money out of it. It's hard enough to make money with videos.

Though I have to admit, even as a creator I'm annoyed by how Youtube handles ad placements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eraezr said:

I've used uBlock Origin for at least 5-6 years. No ban.

This^

I've been using an adblocker for years on Youtube without issue. Youtube talk a tough fight but this and many other rules have gone unenforced for years so I wouldn't worry about it. As for the original question, no it isn't worth the money - it's a total ripoff!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For the price of 3 Starbucks a month I get ad free content, which is a lot of videos per month without the ads. Definitely worth it, especially if you’re browsing random content, you could spend more time watching ads than the vids themselves.

Also I watch a lot on the t.v or PlayStation so ad blocker is not an option. 
I also use the background feature a lot as I like to play something in the background on my iPad whilst trying to get asleep.

Ultimately it’s up to you if you feel it’s worth it for your self.

I definitely wish it was cheaper and I’m not too sure what the cutoff point would be for me to cancel, probably not much more than it is now I would think.

Edited by captainskyhawk
  • Like 1

Depends how busy you are. I pay as I use it at work where I struggle to even find a few seconds for water let alone my phone to skip an ad. Seeing as my playlists keep me sane for those 10hr days, it's worth it for me.

If you only use YouTube during your own free time, then no, may as well find a safe ad blocker if you really don't want ads.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, shadaik said:

No, I just accept ads because I think it's fair for creators to get some money out of it. It's hard enough to make money with videos.

Though I have to admit, even as a creator I'm annoyed by how Youtube handles ad placements.

I understand what you're saying. I have been on YouTube for over a decade, and have seen a million ads.

• Like 1