When if at all, do you guys want the nex-gen consoles to arrive?

DanielVT

When does anyone if at all want the nex-gen to arrive?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. When does anyone if at all want the nex-gen to arrive?

• Never! This is the best gen ever, and it should last just as long!

Today, IGN had a news story claiming the PS4 and Xbox 720 would be announced at this year's E3. I am not happy at all with this news (if it turns out to be true) I have no need whatsoever for another console yet (or for the next few years). Thinking about this makes me wonder what the community thinks about new systems. Please vote in the poll, but first read this article before you do. Thanks! http://games.ign.com.../1215948p1.html

P.S. I voted for 2016 : )

It actually would have made sense if the PS4 came out at the end of this year. The original PS came out at the end of 1994, the PS2 came out at the end of 2000, and the PS3 came out at the end of 2006. It looks like the PS4 will finally break that six year cycle. It doesn't matter much to me though. What more can the PS4 offer? It'll obviously be better than the PS3, but by how much? Will it really be that big of a difference? And a big question for me is, will it be reliable, or will it be defective like the original PS3 (and Xbox too I should add)? I don't want to spend money on a new console only to have to worry about getting the neon yellow light of death a year or two later. It will be interesting to see what they come up with though.

I'd be content with 2014. I bought 60GB system on launch day and it doesn't feel like I've had it long at all, whereas with the PS1 and PS2 I was ready for the next generation when the system was nearing it's 6 year life. It doesn't seem like developers have quite maxed out the PS3's hardware yet though (well, Polyphony Digital has) so we probably have a few more years yet.

Parker

It actually would have made sense if the PS4 came out at the end of this year. The original PS came out at the end of 1994, the PS2 came out at the end of 2000, and the PS3 came out at the end of 2006. It looks like the PS4 will finally break that six year cycle.

Except the advances from PS1 to PS2 were huge, I really doubt we're going to see the same kind of advances in technology/graphics/etc in the same time frame as we have before. PS2 to PS3 is big improvements but not as big PS1 to PS2 was.

It's already much more advanced and current systems cost more to produce in the beginning (which means it takes longer for companies to get a good return on them), and developers haven't even touched on everything current systems are capable of anyways.

I think the longer the current systems stay out without new generations the better. It'll make the next gen that much better, like someone else said if it's just a more effecient version then what's the point? I want to see noticable progress when I have to pay another couple hundred dollars for a new system, not minor improvements. So I voted 2016.

• Like 1

Except the advances from PS1 to PS2 were huge, I really doubt we're going to see the same kind of advances in technology/graphics/etc in the same time frame as we have before. PS2 to PS3 is big improvements but not as big PS1 to PS2 was.

It's already much more advanced and current systems cost more to produce in the beginning (which means it takes longer for companies to get a good return on them), and developers haven't even touched on everything current systems are capable of anyways.

I think the longer the current systems stay out without new generations the better. It'll make the next gen that much better, like someone else said if it's just a more effecient version then what's the point? I want to see noticable progress when I have to pay another couple hundred dollars for a new system, not minor improvements. So I voted 2016.

That is an excellent point. I don't want more systems, because the gap between, for example BF3 PC and BF3 PS3 was not all that big. When there actually is a sizable gap in tech, that is the time IMO for the new systems to come out.

• Like 1

There are too many big releases this generation still upcoming for it to be 2012 IMO. Mass Effect 3, Halo 4 (I think it's confirmed this gen), Grand Theft Auto V, The Last Of Us, another Metal Gear or two... probably others I haven't thought of. The PS4 and/or Xbox 720 may get announced this year, but I doubt Sony or Microsoft would purposely overshadow the potential game/console sales of these blockbusters by getting people all gung-ho next generation too early.

I know. I'm just saying, many companies like to stick to a strict schedule, so it would have made sense in that regard if the PS4 was released at the end of this year. But as I originally said, what more is the PS4 going to be able to offer over the PS3? I definitely agree that paying for a more efficient, but no better system isn't worth it. A new system definitely won't cost as much as the PS3 did when it first arrived though. I'm sure they will continue using blu-ray, and it should be much cheaper at this point. I'd have no complaints about not seeing the next generation until 2016, but I'm almost sure we'll see it before then. I'd say 2014 is more likely.

How about now?

Now also this is what I'd like to see them do:

I'd like to see a feature to auto record any footage on your Playstation and upload it to a video hosting service (like Youtube but maybe something independant to the PS3) have the video editing software and everything integrated right into the Playstation.

I'd like to see motion controls go away.

I'd like to NOT see voice controls ever get off the ground.

I'd like to have basically this sites style of trophy tracking and sortability built right into the XMB. (Sony, if you're reading this, talk to Sly ;) )

Better graphics of course, hardware that can handle games like Skyrim without ever losing a frame.

Considering that the first PS4 will probably be backwards compatible, I hope to see the PS4 in 2013-2014.

Great point! I will still be interested, and get the PS4 (obviously), but if the PS4 is NOT in fact, backwards compatible my interest in it will be diminished. For that matter, the PS4 BETTER be backwards compatible with ALL Playstation games (including PS2 games of course) I greatly miss playing Star Wars: Battlefront II!