Thoughts on Water levels/themes

DarknessKey92

I'm sure we have all experienced a water Level/theme at least once in a game right?

I personally am not a fan of them, mainly cus they make you feel greatly disadvantaged, while having to adapt to its play-style. 

A boss battle with Water level elements is not a good sight, especially when you are forced to use its mechanics; that at times upgrade the boss' movements while downgrading yours(at least making it harder to dodge).

Some water levels add more "deep of doom puddles" that kill you instantly, just by slipping into them.

Also having to race towards a stream of bubbles to regenerate the "Air Bar" is a stress when they decide to distance you greatly from the next Stream of bubbles. 

Some times It feels like you are in a maze, while having to hurry avoiding a drown.

Having to restart sliding from a Water stream just to get a collectively you couldn't get due to having a miss-communication on timing, the first try.

Needing the room flooding with water just to reach higher areas.

The damn spikes underwater that are very stacked together.

Not being able to kill that annoying enemy that keeps attacking you.

Well at least the Water Levels OST is pretty relaxing.

What are your thoughts or Experiences with them.

Also do you think there's a game that did a good water level stage?

Edited by DarknessKey92

I have always hated water levels. The worst one I've experienced was Atlantica on Kingdom Hearts. The water levels on sonic games are really bad too since those games are about speed and the water levels greatly reduce your speed

The only games I've played that actually had good water levels were Rayman Origins and Legends. The controls are still very smooth on the water levels and even the bosses on those levels played well

I love water levels, but that's because I just love deep sea/ocean stuff. The water stages in Rayman Origins were well designed, but also had some of the best music in the game. I hate the water levels in Sonic games though, those are just annoying.

I love the music on the water levels in Origins

• Like 1

I hate them, usually because the camera gets a life of its own and wants to look at all the pretty scenery.

I can't say I've really experienced a good water level but the ones in the original Spyro games were alright.

I hate anything to do with water in games generally, even just the 'raise/lower water level' puzzles.

I hate them, usually because the camera gets a life of its own and wants to look at all the pretty scenery.

I can't say I've really experienced a good water level but the ones in the original Spyro games were alright.

I hate anything to do with water in games generally, even just the 'raise/lower water level' puzzles.

NO! NO! I have never fully finished that level in the original spyro since in one part of the level you will come out to a huge sea where you need to swim down to the city at the bottom but if you look up or to the sides it's so dark and empty that it made me feel like a shark would come out for me any minute so i turned the ps1 off and i have never seriously touched the game again. Still got post trauma from it, im scared to swim in oceans just because of that moment and i'm 17 years old.

I've heard people complain about the Dam level on TMNT for the NES. It's appeared on a few top 10 lists about water levels. I had no problems with it.

ooooh.. nostalgia... love that part... good old memories.... I always use Raphael in that stage cause I hate his weapon while fighting...

when I think of water level... first thought is always the water stages in Mario World... love them... very relaxing BGM... but when I think about KH 1...  <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

IDK why? but in Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, I always had the game memorized very well; but every time I went into the Water Temple, I always entered it as if it was my first time "Where I'm almost Clueless, on where to go next".

It was weird, but @ least that Water Level gave me Dark Link xD 

Edited by DarknessKey92

For the most part, I don't like them, either. Only because I'm afraid of what's under the water. However, the Water Temple in Ocarina was my favorite because I love water. Even with 700+ hours on Skyrim, knowing full well they only contain Slaughterfish that will harm me, I still get afraid. Like when you have to explore a ship, I always expect something to jump out. Maybe I just watch too many horror movies.