CODs Future on PS4

Paperclip1776

Hello everyone,

I need to get a disclaimer out of the way here. - I've had some encounters and warnings recently with moderators on my aggressive tone and dialog and for that I apologize to those I offended.  I promise to be respectful and to keep my aggressiveness to an acceptable status.  I will not make condensing remarks, keep the subject matter on the topic, and to certainly not bait anyone into responding.  End disclaimer.

Hot Topic of mine:  CODs future

The majority of the folks on this site and others that I've encountered have a strong, negative opinion about COD, its future, and impact it has on the gaming industry.  I personally enjoy COD games so I'm definitely for COD - own all of the games.  And, I feel that without games like COD, our industry would not be as strong or popular with the mainstream crowd, which brings in more money/recognition to the industry as a whole. 

Recently, I've heard a lot of arguments, some of the more consistent ones include that only casual gamers buy COD, potty-mouth 12 year olds in MP, and generic game play for each iteration.  If those are your reasons, then that's all you need not to purchase COD games - I know I wouldn't if those were the sticking points for me.

However, I feel a lot of folks are on the bandwagon to hate large publishers and discount the achievements made by these games just because they consider themselves hardcore games.

What are your thoughts on COD?  If you hate the series, why?  If you are a rare (and probably a little brave) person that likes it, discuss your opinion that direction, too.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

I've had a ton of fun times with the early CoD releases (4, mw2, blops 1, WaW) But i haven't played the newer releases. I know CoD gets alot of hate because of the copy paste. And lets be honest Assassin's creed, mario and other franchises do alot of copy pasting aswell. And i even think they try to innovate as any other franchise would but it's just not enough to get me back into it. 

To put it bluntly, i don't hate on it, i just grew tired of the CoD formula.

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 4

I have never played a Call Of Duty game. I would never look down on or judge anyone for playing a Call Of Duty game (or any other game for that matter) as it's not my place. My brother-in-law plays a lot of Cod and has done for a number of years. He obviously enjoys playing it but wouldn't enjoy the games I like and that's fine as everyone's tastes are different.

One reason I haven't played one is I kinda stayed away from FPS as I preferred to play in third-person, and although I have since broadened my horizons a little and have enjoyed first-person games more recently, a FPS would have to offer something a little extra for me to be interested in it. For example, plasmids in Bioshock, RPG elements in Borderlands etc.

Another reason is I am primarily a SP gamer. MP for me doesn't really offer anything, same with co-op to a certain extent. I only really play MP to get the trophies. It's very rare that I get together with a group of friends and play some MP just for fun, although when I do it's a laugh, it's just a rare occurrence. I know CoD games are not really regarded for their SP and that it's mostly about the MP side of things.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 2

CoD's always been my guilty pleasure. The game has been trying to innovate, but it seems like they've reached a point where they can't really change much of the game up without completely voiding what Call of Duty is. At most, their secondary modes have definitely come a long way, and I find that their campaigns are very underrated.

I'll continue to play and buy Call of Duty anyhow. As long as you're having fun and enjoying the game, then who cares?

• Like 3

No but the playstyle in every cod is the same. I would liked cod more if it had decent singleplayer. And in almost every cod campaign that I have played its all the same stuff. Shooting and Michael bay explosions. The MP is what keeps the game alive. Pointless shooting and weed DLC is what kids like. Its not for mature audience,thats for sure ! 

• Like 4

I have never played a Call Of Duty game. I would never look down on or judge anyone for playing a Call Of Duty game (or any other game for that matter) as it's not my place. My brother-in-law plays a lot of Cod and has done for a number of years. He obviously enjoys playing it but wouldn't enjoy the games I like and that's fine as everyone's tastes are different.

One reason I haven't played one is I kinda stayed away from FPS as I preferred to play in third-person, and although I have since broadened my horizons a little and have enjoyed first-person games more recently, a FPS would have to offer something a little extra for me to be interested in it. For example, plasmids in Bioshock, RPG elements in Borderlands etc.

Another reason is I am primarily a SP gamer. MP for me doesn't really offer anything, same with co-op to a certain extent. I only really play MP to get the trophies. It's very rare that I get together with a group of friends and play some MP just for fun, although when I do it's a laugh, it's just a rare occurrence. I know CoD games are not really regarded for their SP and that it's mostly about the MP side of things.

I really could not have said it better myself.

I would also like to add that I own most of the CoD's and really enjoy the Special Op's and Zombie modes of the game, I have nothing against the series even though  play extremely little of the MP, which is what the series is known for.

I'm a very competitive person in life in general, but for some reason that has never carried into my hobby...video games. I guess that is the man reason why I never jumped feet first into the MP part.

With that being said, I think it's a positive to have 3 different publishers working on the franchise. They will all bring something new every year. I'm sure their are 100's of people that get paid a hell of a lot of money to try to reinvent the franchise. What's the next thing that will replace kill streaks? Bigger and better maps? Frame rate? Detecting hackers? Bottom line is the franchise will be around for video game generations to come.

Edited by broy300
  • Like 1

I don't hate COD. I used to play it quite a bit in another life, on another console. However it is an incredibly repetitive experience. Don't get me wrong, it is designed to be what is called a 'cookie cutter' game. It has a huge player base so it doesn't need to innovate outside of possible graphical enhancements.

What I don't understand is the level at which you are going to try and get everyone to discuss it. You bring it up in pretty much every thread. In some cases, you create a thread about something else which you then use as a way to redirect everyone to focus on COD.

We get it. You love COD. You love the way it feels. You love the way it plays. You think that it is driving the industry forward in all sorts of directions. You think that it keeps the industry healthy and alive.

We get it. Please, for the love of all things gaming - talk about a different game. There are so many amazing discussions and threads about all kinds of games. There is nothing wrong with talking about a game you love, but it literally seems like all you care to talk about is COD and if someone doesn't talk about it, you find ways to pull the topic in that direction.

• Like 2

I happen to enjoy CoD and not for the competitive mp either. Co-op is where it's at for me. Spec ops, Zombs and now Extinction. I'm not talking about that Black Ops II bullshit either. I prefer W@W and Blops zombies to that crap Treyarch pulled on us with that last iteration.

Now, Extinction is newest and, so far, my favorite (Spec Ops is a close second). For the first time in a few years I've been able to break away from trophies with Extiction and just play. The introduction of armory teeth and new DLC maps have given me incentive to keep on playing and even offering help to some people that were still trying for the plat. I've helped one friend get most of the retail Extiction trophies and plan on helping another in the very near future.

For me it's about getting together with three friends and having a really great time shooting shit. Good times. :highfive:

If only Mat would've listened to us instead of Scotty. :|

Edited by Rowdi
  • Like 2

I think I spent the majority of my younger teenage years playing the Call of Duty games. I loved 4, World at War, Modern Warfare 2 but after that I got really bored.

I was 14 when I first played Call of Duty:Modern Warfare as it came with my PS3, I only had single player and didn't bother with multiplayer until someone showed it me and I'd happily admit I was hooked on it for months. I think though spending so much time on it and a game coming out every year, you don't really see much difference in the games, just different maps and a slight up in the graphics and all guns replaced.

Then they got all technical and made it more "easy" The first 3 from Modern Warfare were about skill to me but as they games aged it just became full of hackers and just full of annoying little kids. I think as I got older I just decided to call it a day, sure I buy them every year but I do normally like the stories they offer. I'm 21 this year and I think to be fair that the new one does look pretty good. I don't think I'll buy it straight away as I'll probably rent it to see if it's any good.

It's my opinion though, I won't disrespect anyone who actually enjoys it because it's good when you have a group of friends round and they're not into your other games that you have there so it's all good. It's just in the last couple of years I've really expanded my gaming genres and I love to play anything.

I think I got bored really quickly also is the fact since the huge success of the series that many developers have tried so hard to try and make their own version and that's all companies try to sway their developers into.

Edited by Meacham93
  • Like 1

Its a love and hate relationship with me... like the single player and hate the multiplayer. I am a type of person that loves being in a team,( work like a team, you get this side I get this side, ect.) and in CoD its a lone wolf type of game. Its only you and anybody that gets in the way is getting knocked out. Thats why im not a big fan of the MP.

• Like 2

Ghosts was shit battlefield won hands down last year. Cod has lost what used to make it so good, Its all under age people that play the game now which really pisses me off. time for a change picking up destiny this year new cod can take a back seat until it goes cheap

• Like 1

I don't understand all the negativity around this series. They're the best selling franchise of the last decade so they must be doing something right. Besides Battlefield I can't think of any game that even remotely comes close to COD quality when it comes to FPS

• Like 4

CoD is as guilty of copy-paste as almost every other franchise, God of War, Assassins Creed, etc etc... It really just comes down to the type of genre you enjoy playing and how long you can stick with the same formula. I've thrown in the towel on zombies but I'll continue to play any CoD that tries to do something else.

Edited by Cthulu26
  • Like 2

Wow guys, a lot of great points on both sides of CoD, Thank You!  I'm reading through each one of these so keep 'em coming.

I'm actually really surprised to see many of the comments in favor of CoD.  I'm not ignorant of the fact that obviously some folks play the game and will enjoy it, I guess I'm more surprised that you guys had the balls to say it.  Nice.  Like I said, CoD is like the black sheep of gaming - everyone knows its there, a lot of people like it but many hardcore gamers won't admit it because of the criticism they may face or the stigma behind liking a popular franchise with a negative "tag" on it.

-  I've personally played through all of the SP campaigns and I agree with many of you, fantastic! 

-  Stopped playing MP on BLOPS II b/c I wasn't having as much fun as I was playing the other modes (i.e. Zombies, Spec Ops, now Extinction (Awesome, btw))

That's fair enough, but while yes, CoD is mainly looked at for MP, the SP's are still great. CoD SPs every year get overlooked, because the 'die hard fans' just jump straight onto MP and don't give SP a chance. When you hear all the hate CoDs get every year, that's always about the MP, never the SP, because like I said, CoD single players get overlooked.

I strongly recommend not just you, but everyone that hasn't played the CoD SP's to do so, from Cod4-MW2-MW3 as 1 storyline and WaW-BO1-BO2 as another. All 6 games are masterpieces in storytelling (Especially BO1 and BO2). Some unique game play mechanics that other FPS's have (like leashing in Bulletstorm) aren't present in CoD, but that doesn't mean the stories aren't worth playing. And I must say, I don't think there has been a CoD that hasn't want to make me cry at point or another.

I'm definitely taking all that on board. I actually played a demo of Modern Warfare 2 a while back and even though I thought it was fairly decent, it didn't make me to want to seek out a copy of the game. Maybe one day though, lol.

Edited by Stevieboy

I don't hate CoD because it's literally the same thing every year.

I hate it because it's the same thing Every Year.

Activision is a terrible company who obviously is only in it for the money.

CoD: Then and Now 

For the most part, the developers have kept the changes to a minimum--and with good reason. It would be difficult to heavily modify the game's engine while sticking to a yearly release schedule and popping out versions that work well on every modern console, as well as the PC.

"We don't want to do new things, or work. We just want all that hype cash."  :rolleyes:

Thank you for your response, A12621A.

I understand, you don't like the game series and you have something against the publisher as well.  What is your reasoning to think that Activision is a terrible company?  Just curious, do you work for a non-profit organization?

You also mentioned that it's the same every year.  I know that MW1, 2, and 3 were set in a completely different setting and timeline than BLOPS I and II, and that was totally different than CoD: Ghosts.  I'm just trying to understand your reasoning. Have you played the SP or the MP to derive at that conclusion?

Thanks for the post, A12621A!

I don't necessarily hate the actual game, I still play it with my friends from time to time. I hate what CoD has done to the gaming industry. They may have not been the first to do yearly rehashes or DLC before the game is even released, but they made those things mainstream.

Thanks to CoD, we have an over saturation of generic military FPS games in gaming. We also got other series, like Assassin's Creed, that start putting out the same game every year. And we got developers who announce DLC months before their game is even released. Why? Because CoD does it, and they're successful. No matter what they do, millions of people will buy the game every year. So others look at that and say, "Well if it works for them, it can work for us."

The only thing I hate in the actual game, is the fact that the majority of the online community is little, racist, children. But that's not CoD's fault, it's the stupid parents' fault.

• Like 1

I don't hate COD. I used to play it quite a bit in another life, on another console. However it is an incredibly repetitive experience. Don't get me wrong, it is designed to be what is called a 'cookie cutter' game. It has a huge player base so it doesn't need to innovate outside of possible graphical enhancements.

What I don't understand is the level at which you are going to try and get everyone to discuss it. You bring it up in pretty much every thread. In some cases, you create a thread about something else which you then use as a way to redirect everyone to focus on COD.

We get it. You love COD. You love the way it feels. You love the way it plays. You think that it is driving the industry forward in all sorts of directions. You think that it keeps the industry healthy and alive.

We get it. Please, for the love of all things gaming - talk about a different game. There are so many amazing discussions and threads about all kinds of games. There is nothing wrong with talking about a game you love, but it literally seems like all you care to talk about is COD and if someone doesn't talk about it, you find ways to pull the topic in that direction.

Stop trolling and stay on topic.  That goes for everyone.   If you don't have anything positive to contribute, go to the other amazing discussions. 

• Like 2