Overall thoughts on the destiny beta

YoChiink_

The destiny beta finished last weekend what did you guys think about it? To me it was one of the most refreshing gaming experiences i've had this year everything was so new and mind blowing. The borderlands like loot hunting and co-op combined with the refined fps mechanics of halo gave me the experience i was hoping for, i spent countless hours playing co op with my friends and even more in the crucible playing PVP and it was only a beta i cant begin to imagine how many hours i'll be logged on when the game is officially released. Even more pumped for the ps4 destiny bundle now ^_^ leave your thoughts about the beta below :)

Edited by YoChiink_
  • Like 1

Wasn't too bad, didn't have the opportunity to try it out with my friends so I'm not sure how fun it would be with all of us playing. I liked the hover bike you can ride and some things I saw looked interesting, too much hype though and the price of it is a bit steep. Will probably get it a few months or so after release when/if my friends get it.

Wasn't too bad, didn't have the opportunity to try it out with my friends so I'm not sure how fun it would be with all of us playing. I liked the hover bike you can ride and some things I saw looked interesting, too much hype though and the price of it is a bit steep. Will probably get it a few months or so after release when/if my friends get it.

Agree with you there, some cool features but far too much hype. For the most part it feels like an AAA version of Warframe with some added extras and a big price tag. Still on the fence on whether I'll keep my preorder, will have to see if there's anything else to play at the time.

• Like 2

I loved it, I want to get it but i don't have the money for it and I feel that playing it on the PS4 would be a better experience but I don't have a ps4 right now.

I tried both PS3 and PS4 versions and trust me, you want the PS4 version.

Agree with you there, some cool features but far too much hype. For the most part it feels like an AAA version of Warframe with some added extras and a big price tag. Still on the fence on whether I'll keep my preorder, will have to see if there's anything else to play at the time.

Agreed, I kept comparing it to Warframe and decided that Destiny is not that much better to justify the price tag.

• Like 1

I liked it, much better than I thought I would. To me it's pretty much a mix of Halo and World of Warcraft, which is a good thing.

Wasn't very interested in getting the game before playing the beta but have it preordered digitally now, hoping to be able to preload it before release.

What I didn't like as much was that enemies seemed to respawn really fast, espeacially during the boss fights. And I also didn't enjoy the boss fights that much. I hope they retune them a little, maybe one level below what they were at in the beta.

I played both the Alpha and the Beta and I can honestly say that I'm hooked. I have the game on pre-order and can't wait to jump back into the full version.

What matters the most to me in Destiny is that it's fun and addicting, because it's a game that's very obviously going to be based on a lot of repetition. Doing the same stuff over and over again never seemed boring and the shooting and looting is a blast. What I'm still kinda on the fence about is the whole worldbuilding and storytelling aspect. The story, setting and lore seem a bit generic and bland to me, including some of the enemies. They've done their best to hide all this under a thick layer of gloss and huge production value (and that music OMG!), but the world lacks the credibility and depth of say the Mass Effect universe. But it's serviceable and I'll reserve final judgment until I have experienced more of the universe.

Edited by CloudyMemory2
  • Like 1

I must say that the game is really entertaining and fun.
Everyone who loves Borderlands will also love this game because its really rewarding after every instance.
Sure its not always good loot but when you get a RARE one you feel like its christmas. xD

And this keeps you doing the same instance again and again after u get more awesome gear. :)
Cant wait for the full version of the game. Gonna play it on day one.

But one thing keeps me thinking... in my point of view this game looks a little bit small for its development time.
Sure its a BETA but i hope there will be much more planets to discover and that planet Earth will be a little bit bigger.

Anyways cant wait for the release. xD

Personally the beta made me realize that's its not for me i've cancelled my pre order already. Found it dull and lackluster the graphics were okay characters were boring without any personality the whole guardian thing is lame very disappointed with it i maybe its just something i don't enjoy rather than a bad game game-play was too halo for me ive never enjoyed halo and will be sticking to third person shooters. Im probably gonna get a lot of stick for my negative opinion on the game but i can't pretend i enjoyed it im not saying its a bad game too early to tell but for me there was nothing special to it just felt like a pointless shooter game.

Oh and the A.I was so dull and boring its ps4 give us more creative A.I where they dont just stand in the same spot waiting for you to shoot them 

To summarize i felt the beta and a big let down just another AAA game overly hyped especially at a time we are desperate for triple AAA games on new gen

• Like 1

Was pleasantly surprised by the alpha and the beta. I didn't think I was going to like the title after not enjoying Halo one bit. Looking to pick this up on day one. It may be a little short considering what people are saying but we will have to wait and see.

Playing the Beta really turned my opinion around. I thought it was basically Bungie's attempt at Borderlands but thankfully I was wrong. The game is actually fun, unlike Borderlands and its horrible gunplay and I really enjoyed basically everything about Destiny from what I played. Not sure if I'll get it day one yet, but it's a definite buy from me.

The way freeroam is set up reminds me of Guild Wars 2 in a way.

I really enjoyed it. The gameplay had just the right mix of shooter and RPG elements for me and some of the art design and music gave me the occasional Mass Effect vibe. The story and pacing was great and it felt alot like a cosy, diluted MMO. I felt like I had this huge world available to me that wasn't overloaded and who I could invite my friends into.

It had so many different RPG elements pulled from other games and genre types - Gear Progression, Loot Tables, stat based gear, character sheets, customization, weapons that learned new skills the more you used them, stat numbers in combat, difficulty graded enemies, group content, public quests etc.

They've done a good job with this so far, and I'm happy I pre-ordered a while back when it became available to do so. Roll on September, I can't wait to create a permanent character and see what their world has to offer.

Done the beta with 2 classes after playing alot with the hunter I really wanted to use that class when the game comes out. However I got board of not leveling up after rank 8 after a few more of my friends got the beta. So picked the warlock to play, Glad I did as will pick that class now to play with when the game comes out.

As far as the beta goes I said to one of my friends I don't recall playing any beta as much as I have with destiny. Like the whole fireteam thing where you can pair up with 4 others can see this being alot of fun with a bunch of mates on. Been waiting for a game that i can do co op with alot of my friends in so winner for me so far.

Will be picking this up for sure on relase day. I understand this maybe not be everybodys cup of tea however they sure get credit for letting so many people trying the beta a month before the game comes out.

One can only hope alot more will follow suit lost track of how many games got hype and when I got them just did not live up to that hype MMMMMM watchdogs springs to mind!

To me, it seemed like an MMO that didn't know it was an MMO.

There was no way to chat with players in the world, and I hear you'll only be able to chat with your squad in the actual game. I played all the sidequests I could find, and they all felt the same. 'Kill enemies and pick up banners' next quest 'kill enemies and pick up belts'. The item drops seemed pointless. They were far and few between, and when I did get a drop, it was garbage compared to stuff I could buy from the stores. The level cap of 20 is disappointing, especially since you could get to 8 in a couple hours. The game was also confirmed to only have 4 locations, Old Russia on Earth, a place on Mars, a place on Venus, and a place on the moon. The multiplayer was OK, but it's nothing I haven't played before.

Overall, the whole thing was a disappointment.

I fully enjoyed what the beta had to offer so far. Boss fights, customizing your weapon and armour load-outs is good as-well as how big the maps are.

Obviously I wanted more, but beta only offers you so much and for what I've played it's a good job I pre-ordered it months back.

I know everyone is kinda stunned about there's only going to be 4 planets as of now, but I personally think Destiny is a game that'll expand more than that.

I just don't want them to turn into some stupid EA game and have countless micro transactions

Edited by Pyrotheseus

Wat's Up Gamer Guy and Gamer Girl,

I just wanted to put my two cents in and say I truly enjoyed the Destiny Beta possibly more than any other beta I've played in.  The fact that this beta was so so so open and we were able to jump into so many different aspects of this game is just outstanding.  I very excited about this game and I haven't been this into a game since Battlefield Bad Company 2.  When I first heard about Destiny I wasn't sold on this game at all.  I only played the beta because I received two codes after the PS Experience.  I'm glad I gave it a try before giving both codes away.  I was able to play in the Alpha and Beta (both blew my mind).  The one thing I didn't get to play is the moon but I'll gt my time once this game drops.  

I hope to catch all of you on the battlefield or in the tower.  For the meantime I've placed some of my gameplay and montages on my youtube channel.  Just having fun so hop you all enjoy.  If not that's cool too.

[PS4] Destiny - Multiplayer Beta Gameplay

[PS4] Destiny Beta Gameplay Commentary #2

So hit me up & I'm out!

- ChaosLegionSpawn

Edited by ChaosLegionSpawn

I missed the chance to play the Alpha or the Beta entirely. But from what I've heard from my friends who's opinions I trust, I didn't miss much. I'll await a review and further opinions as I have been burned by the hype machine too many times...

Edit: Plus, I rarely have time for MP games these days - I mostly only get to play at night during the weekends, and I have to keep quiet or else my wife wakes up and yells at me... :|

Edited by StrickenBiged

I didn't care for it too much, but I kind of expected that. I just don't find shooting down waves of bullet-sponge enemies enjoyable. Nor am I a fan of co-op, and this game is pretty much forced co-op. Sure you can take on missions and stuff by yourself, but there's almost always going to be people around. But the game is designed to play with other people, so playing on your own is going to be too difficult or boring. And speaking of boring, that's how I would describe much of my experience with the Beta. I didn't find the world too exciting. You're moving around a lot with little to no sound in the background, shooting down bland enemies, listening to dull dialogue/voice acting, and traveling across the same areas again and again.

Sure, it has customization, leveling, upgrading, and a decent variety of weaponry, but I don't see how that's enough to impress people. I guess I'm just not seeing the fascination with this game. I liked Borderlands and the second one to a lesser extent, but those games had personality unlike this game, in my opinion.

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

It felt like playing Borderlands but, with some better game mechanics.

The weapons felt better, the world didn't feel as empty, and the ammo system was so much better than Borderlands it was kind of shocking.

Overall, I was very impressed by the beta, but I won't buy for the PS3. It will have to wait until I have a PS4.