Is it just me, or are PC gamers ruining gaming?

Fierce_DeityX1

PC Gamers  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Are PC gamers ruining gaming

• Yes
    • No

On the whole, no.

However, there are a few places (of which the 'Videogamememes' page on Facebook is a common offender) where people consistently post about how "PC is so much better than consoles". This really frustrates me; there's no need to be an elitist idiot-head. PC doesn't get every game that consoles do anyway; and they need to constantly be spending money and time upgrading their rig for the 'latest and greatest'.

I personally don't have a gaming PC, but I know of a few games I would definitely play on the PC (either for the exclusivity, keyboard use or graphics).

It makes me sad when people start these 'console' or 'PC' wars... All gamers should be able to get along based on their collective love of games and experiencing incredible worlds :D

• Like 1

it's no question that the "PC Elitists" are some of the douchiest people on the planet, but the opposite side of the spectrum, the "Console Elitists" dont really help at all either with their douchebaggery towards PC gamers. So no, PC gamers are not ruining gaming, it is the ones who look down on other gamers for not playing the same thing they do. Gaming was made to bring people together, whether it be in competition, co-op, or just talking about our favorite scenes in a campaign. We're all gamers, cant we all just get along?

Nope!..just ignore those graphics whore who keep saying PC is master race etc, most of these people who's saying these things are just butthurt fanboys who's spend huge ton of cash to built a high-end rig and then got shocked that most of the good games released for consoles the most.

seriously! i don't really care if gaming console is holding the PC back or other dump things to say, what happen to all that talks about " play video games to have fun?? "  i'm having fun playing on whatever i'm playing on and that's enough. i used to play on my aged PC from time to time back in the 6th generation era, but after i got the ps3 now i only gaming on ps3 or gaming consoles in general while use my PC or laptop for heavy duty online or daily works. i'm not the kind of person who love to spend a lot's of cash to upgrade my PC every time a hot new cutting edge something game came out.

fanboys that you can find on every platform or a system is what really ruining gaming. 

I think a lot of people that use the phrases "master race" or "console peasant" are just being cute/intentionally over the top.

Having spent the last year trying to coexist with the PC gaming community... the real issue is when you get to the PC gamers who flip their shit when a PC port of a console game releases with console-esque performance (ie. the recent Dead Rising 3 port and it's 30fps cap).  Keeping in mind, that up until this new generation of consoles (does the PS4 do 60fps?) that console games were pretty much always capped at 30fps.  Then the real "I PAID FOR THIS EXPENSIVE PC TO BE BETTER THAN CONSOLE GAMERS" folks start scuttling out of the woodworks, claiming the game is "unplayable" at that speed and that they were done a disservice to have spent their money on a "shitty console port".

To that extent, I agree that they're just toxic to gaming as a whole.  I'm sure you find that kind of mind-numbing nonsense in every community though.

Edited by Dreakon13

Not in general. Just like with the console gamers, the vocal minority give a bad representation to the silent masses.

This ^^

As with every platform in every gen, its always been the vocal minority who make a fanbase look bad. If anything, I thank PC gamers for putting up with so much ish and building STEAM onto what its become that its affected even consoles. IMHO of course.

No idea why you care, or take notice of those people.

An odd question to ask considering you're posting in a gaming community.  Undesirables stick out like a sore thumb, and anyone with anything more than a very mild interest in participating in the community would want them gone.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I might cop a bit of flack for this but they're the reason I almost never game anymore. Literally everywhere I went I would see these elitists, making console gamers feel like dog sh*t. Hell, even on Steam, when they find out you're mainly a console gamer you get called out. I would encounter places like YouTube channels dedicated to this stuff. Like some sort of cult, worshipping PCs while degrading console gamers. They even pick on their fellow PC gamers when finding out they use an Xbox controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. It's even worse seeing former console gamers transform into these elitists when switching to a PC.

What I find hilarious (and was pointed out in the video posted earlier), is that the "master race" term and the infamous image was derived to mock PC gamers for the exact same superior attitude, yet ironically, they end up cluelessly adopting the nickname and image for themselves.

I used to hate Xbox fanboys with a passion but ever since the rise of PC fanboys, it makes Xbox fanboys look like saints and now find myself siding/defending  them. That's a positive. At least PC fanboys have united us console gamers :yay:

Edited by Herwest299

An odd question to ask considering you're posting in a gaming community.  Undesirables stick out like a sore thumb, and anyone with anything more than a very mild interest in participating in the community would want them gone.

I play console and pc mp games. In my experience both communities are equally childish and rude. Saying we'd be better off without pc ganers is hypocritical

No. The gaming industry itself is what's ruining gaming. There are a number of things that harm gaming as a whole, but these are more so the fault of those responsible for the creation and release of the games we play. To a lesser extent, however, anyone that buys any product(s) or engages in any of the consumer practices listed below is, in part, at fault as well.

• Publishers restricting the potential of developers by imposing rules upon them which limit their creative freedom. For example: Trying to appeal to "Broaden the demographic", forcing changes or influencing design decisions which clash with the vision of the developers, which are made solely in an attempt to play it safe or "steal" sales from an existing IP (See: Most  modern FPS attempting to be the next Call of Duty).
  • Publishers and developers removing and/or locking away content in order to sell it later as DLC, or as pre-order "bonuses".
  • Publishers and developers placing so much emphasis on pre-orders.  They're asking for your money before a game is even out. Putting out money for a game before it has even been released, on the hope that what you've seen in pre-release footage and screenshots will actually be representative of the final product is, in my eyes, quite stupid.
  • Publishers and developers focusing less on creating new and exciting IPs, and more on milking existing franchises to the point of saturation (See: Guitar Hero, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Assassin's Creed, etc.) Playing it safe does nothing but stagnate the market. Part of the reason that I've grown so disinterested in gaming compared to when I was a child is the lack of creativity seen in most games now.
  • The developers obsession with making their games look as photorealistic and technically brilliant as possible, at the cost of creating fun, exciting, memorable, and unique experiences when actually playing the game. If you want to make your game look more "realistic", that's fine, but with the overabundance of games attempting to do so, every time I see a game with "realistic" visuals, it's become a turnoff. Photorealism has become arguably the most generic visual style (if it wasn't already before) that I've ever seen used. It isn't creative, it isn't eye popping... it's just boring to look at.
  • Developers restricting the players choices by creating a heavily scripted, restrictive, and often times lazy experience. Some ways in which they do this is by limiting what they are both able to do in terms of game mechanics, and where they are able to go within the game world(s). Now, linearity isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as you still provide ample choice and opportunity for players to play your game as they wish. However, a lot of games seem hell bent on forcing you down a particular path, and not only that, but forcing you to use a specific weapon or set of weapons, in a specific point in the level, at a specific time, and outright killing you or otherwise failing you should you even attempt to deviate from this set path/style and play how you like. This is most commonly seen in the single-player of FPS games, which is quite a shame considering just how much freedom you were given, and how intricate levels were, in older FPS games.
  • Publishers and developers focusing more on earning a profit through DLC, micro-transactions, and Pay2Win or Fee2Pay games and mechanics within their games. Doing this shows that they care more about earning a quick buck than creating a worthwhile experience for the consumer that is actually worth the price of admission. It's sick.
  • Outright lying about the quality of their games via "in-game" footage, screenshots, information (or lack thereof. I'm looking at you, Destiny) and other previews. The most recent examples are Aliens: Colonial Marines and Watch Dogs, Destiny, and even Dark Souls 2 to a lesser extent. Why do they do this? They do it to build hype, which of course people buy into, which leads to more pre-orders and day one sales, and if they're "in bed" with game reviewers and journalists, you can also see massive score inflation and outright lies from these sources as well. (I won't go into game journalism right now, but you should be aware of what I'm talking about)

That's really all that I have to say on the subject at the moment. Thanks for reading! n _ n
TL;DR

Read the post, you lazy arse! ♥♥♥

Edited by Fluttershy
  • Like 2

A battle as old as gaming itself. I view it as a balanced even trade off:

console owners - having technically out of date tech...no means to upgrade hardware (without voiding the warrenty for the most part).

pc owners - always having to shell out big $$$ and have the technical know-how to do the inevitable MANDATORY hardware upgrades in order to continue gaming.

So basically, you will eventually have less powerful tech as a console owner but owning a gaming pc eventually becomes a lot more expensive.

Edited by merciful84

I use both my computer and my console...and the handhelds I have as well...I think it's sad that a small portion of a group yet again got an uprising out of another group, be it gamers or fans....gamers are the same, whether you only have a handheld device, you have a computer your playing off of, or a console.  You play what you have fun playing- well, hopefully you do, anyway- and sometimes have fun with friends while you're at it.  It may just be me, but I just don't see any difference in the two...and kind of find it sad to see a poll up there with that kind of result...

Is it just me, or are PC gamers ruining gaming?

No, it's just you.. Aaand apparently some others but basically it's your problem who voted yes, not PC gamers'. People play for different reasons and when a friend of mine told me he can't understand buying a new console every 5 years when you could update your PC hardware every year. I said that's the reason. I'm too casual player to update my hardware all the time.

As much as it's ridiculous and childish to go on about insulting people (in a serious manner and not a friendly jab) based on their video game preferences, I believe it shows an equal need of growth to actually take something like that to heart and be offended by it.

I am not a PC gamer. I have only bought one PC game in the last 10 years or so and it was Amnesia: The Dark Descent because I like survival horror and it was the only way to play it. I also played it on a crappy laptop not a souped up Master Race PC. I originally started playing most of last gen on the 360 but had a PS3 and Wii as well. Wii collected dust for years and PS3 was for exclusives. Halfway through the gen I found Microsoft kept doing things that annoyed me and PS3 got more interesting (around 2009 for me with Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2). Then PS3 became my console of choice first with Xbox swiching to exclusive like Gears 3 only. Wii still collecting dust lol. But anyway, now that you know my boring history here's my actually opinion.

No, PC gamers are not ruining gaming. All of the points CandiBunni made are ruining gaming.

This gen I have bought a PS4 and my wife has a Vita. Some of my friends have an Xbox One but it just doesn't interest me right now. Do I care that they think it's superior? No. Of course people are going to try to think the decision they made is superior. That's our nature to back up what we think is right and to justify the decisions we made.

Being overly sensitive and fueling people like that doesn't help either. You do realize they are isulting you for playing videos games differently right? And only from a select bunch at that. Should you really be bothered by that? If so, there's a maturity on both sides that has yet to be reached.

• Like 2

It is annoying when you see a feud between PC and Console fanboys, but you gotta laugh at it. It's really the stupidest thing people argue about when it's based on opinion so it's pretty much a never ending argument. I just ignore em. Do I think they're ruining gaming? No. I play games for my entertainment and for my friends, not for them.

I do love PC gaming though, but the numerous problems that you're plagued with ruined it for me. Console gaming is much less complex than PC gaming.

This gen I have bought a PS4 and my wife has a Vita.

Your wife has a Vita??! Dude, your wife is awesome.

Edited by RedSkyKing