Share Play - More Info, Trophies Done Right!

BlindMango

Well 

This is pretty cool, but I must admit I'm worried a bit about the ability for other people to gain trophies for you. Since you can virtually hand over your controller to another person, rarities will likely go down, since someone who could never have gained the trophy otherwise, can enlist the help of someone they don't know to do it for them. Right now, that's only possible if you know someone in real life that's willing to come to your house and do it for you, which is pretty rare. This could turn what would have normally been an UR, thanks to one or two hard trophies, into a VR or even just a Rare. For example, once of the biggest reasons BlazBlue Chronophantasma is an UR, is because of a couple of trophies that you get my pulling off specific combos. They're fairly easy once you know how to do them, but they can be difficult to learn, especially for those that aren't really experienced in fighting games. Another person could just take over the controls, and do the two trophies in a matter of just a couple of minutes. And then of course, there will be people charging for this kind of service. Anyway, as could easily devalue trophies by a significant amount, you may never know if a person's profile was really done by them or not. Which would not just devalue rarities, but trophy hunting as a whole. At least when it comes to a community of people that care about trophies. Especially those that care about the rarities.

Otherwise, it sounds like a cool system. I just really wish they would either turn off trophies when using this feature, or add some kind of mark to the trophy, to show that it was gained through Share Play.

You got some valid points in there. But honestly every thing has their own positives and negatives right. Instead of  having a friend come over and unlocking, Sony just made it easier. In the same way there will be a lot of players who make the best out of this service. I live in India and my friend in Canada have this discussion always of what games he got and what ive got. We keep thinking that well play the games he got when he is down in India which is only once a year. Now its easier for me to play the games he has without having to wait for 6 months or so. So in these ways, this feature can be put to very good use. 

And with this new feature being implemented, i think its high time PSN Profiles create another feature like Game Sessions for Share Play sessions. So that interested people can get help from others if they are stuck.

I feel there will be a large flux in trophy shops/services once this gets thrown into play. 

It'd be pretty nice to see ads broadcasting ones share play skrillz for all the world to see.

Something along these lines maybe?

>Yo, u suck @ gaming?

>No worry, you pay now i play now.

>Pop da trophies quick and clean. 
>Get me money. 

Keep in mind, in my head this is shown on the tv in black in white with 2 little kids sitting in front of it. it has kinda a holiday feel to it.

I don't know... Since this acts as almost exactly "couch co-op", I don't think that it will work that way, especially since you can't get trophies if you help your friend with his or her game in actual couch co-op.

What I'm getting from the video is that this feature literally connects a PSN "guest" player into the second controller port of the hosts PlayStation system, tricking the game into thinking that you are a second physical player sitting right there when you are not actually there with a second controller on the couch... Though I could be wrong with that assumption too as they don't go too far into technical specifics :P

you do get trophies in couch co-op u have to sign into your account maybe it works like that

I feel there will be a large flux in trophy shops/services once this gets thrown into play. 

It'd be pretty nice to see ads broadcasting ones share play skrillz for all the world to see.

Something along these lines maybe?

>Yo, u suck @ gaming?

>No worry, you pay now i play now.

>Pop da trophies quick and clean. 

>Get me money. 

Keep in mind, in my head this is shown on the tv in black in white with 2 little kids sitting in front of it. it has kinda a holiday feel to it.

lol it will be interesting to see how this works out. I imagine that we will have to somehow work it into gaming sessions, maybe as like a "Share Play Help" category of session. Though I would only see it as being free help on this site, I highly doubt that Sly would let people exchange money on the site for help :P

Edited by BlindMango

This is pretty cool, but I must admit I'm worried a bit about the ability for other people to gain trophies for you. Since you can virtually hand over your controller to another person, rarities will likely go down, since someone who could never have gained the trophy otherwise, can enlist the help of someone they don't know to do it for them. Right now, that's only possible if you know someone in real life that's willing to come to your house and do it for you, which is pretty rare. This could turn what would have normally been an UR, thanks to one or two hard trophies, into a VR or even just a Rare. For example, once of the biggest reasons BlazBlue Chronophantasma is an UR, is because of a couple of trophies that you get my pulling off specific combos. They're fairly easy once you know how to do them, but they can be difficult to learn, especially for those that aren't really experienced in fighting games. Another person could just take over the controls, and do the two trophies in a matter of just a couple of minutes. And then of course, there will be people charging for this kind of service. Anyway, as could easily devalue trophies by a significant amount, you may never know if a person's profile was really done by them or not. Which would not just devalue rarities, but trophy hunting as a whole. At least when it comes to a community of people that care about trophies. Especially those that care about the rarities.

Otherwise, it sounds like a cool system. I just really wish they would either turn off trophies when using this feature, or add some kind of mark to the trophy, to show that it was gained through Share Play.

This is the reason I'm not fond of the Share Play idea at all. You aren't accomplishing a trophy, someone else is, so it's almost like downloading somebody else's save file, which is considered hacking.

I, personally, would never let anyone touch my profile off or online, because if a trophy is earned on it, I want to be the one who earned it.

Hopefully there will be an update to Share Play and trophies where the trophy list shows who unlocked it.

• Like 2

Maybe that Resogun Local co-op trophy can finally be obtained without me having to be at my friends house, which is something I can't do too often due to clashing work schedules

Heh, I was thinking about this too.

This Share Play just got a whole lot more awesome.... provided it can be done in less than an hour that is... Does anyone know what kind of "cool-down period" it'll have before the same friend can Share again?

Just today I also realized there must be some kind of "cool-down" between the gaming sessions right? Haven't heard anything about it though.

Heh, I was thinking about this too.

Just today I also realized there must be some kind of "cool-down" between the gaming sessions right? Haven't heard anything about it though.

There is no cool down period. As soon as an hour expires, you can start a new session immediately.

lol it will be interesting to see how this works out. I imagine that we will have to somehow work it into gaming sessions, maybe as like a "Share Play Help" category of session. Though I would only see it as being free help on this site, I highly doubt that Sly would let people exchange money on the site for help :P

You would think that exchanging money would be a requirement - I mean, in a boosting session both parties are getting something out of it - just asking someone to do a trophy for you because you are not good enough to get it yourself doesnt give anyhing to the other party - in fact it hurts them, as they are actively contributing to reducing the rarity of thier own trophies.

So I guess my question is - why would someone help for nothing?

This is the reason I'm not fond of the Share Play idea at all. You aren't accomplishing a trophy, someone else is, so it's almost like downloading somebody else's save file, which is considered hacking.

I, personally, would never let anyone touch my profile off or online, because if a trophy is earned on it, I want to be the one who earned it.

Hopefully there will be an update to Share Play and trophies where the trophy list shows who unlocked it.

Sony doesn't give two shits about trophies, do you actually expect them to care if people are earning trophies through share play?

You would think that exchanging money would be a requirement - I mean, in a boosting session both parties are getting something out of it - just asking someone to do a trophy for you because you are not good enough to get it yourself doesnt give anyhing to the other party - in fact it hurts them, as they are actively contributing to reducing the rarity of thier own trophies.

So I guess my question is - why would someone help for nothing?

I help a friend of mine with trophies he either has no patience to get, or no skill to get. I do so for nothing, simply because he's my best friend. Random strangers won't help you for nothing, but a good friend would. 

I tried this Tuesday with a friend of mine.  There is a FIFA 15 trophy for playing an online Seasons match with a guest.  Instead of having to control both controllers, I turned on a second controller and gave him control of my first controller through Share Play.

We were able to play an online co-op match to get the trophy which was cool.  I also used it just to watch him play Spelunky for a while as we chatted about what was going on in his game.  It's a very neat feature that I will use periodically.

If people can earn trophies on your account through shareplay then you may aswell give someone your account details and gameshare, Whats the actual point of earning trophies now? everyone most likely will get other people to earn their hard trophies for them. Trophies should of been disabled during the use of shareplay. It's fucking ridculous if you ask me.

• Like 1

I have trophies that my sons have earned on my account, does that make me a cheater? I've randomly popped trophies when playing at friends houses, and had friends randomly pop trophies on my account when they have played at my house. Is that cheating?

Shareplay opens a big grey area about whether you ask someone to play purely to earn a trophy, or whether you're just playing and a trophy pops.

Edited by pandairo
  • Like 1

I have trophies that my sons have earned on my account, does that make me a cheater? I've randomly popped trophies when playing at friends houses, and had friends randomly pop trophies on my account when they have played at my house. Is that cheating?

Shareplay opens a big grey area about whether you ask someone to play purely to earn a trophy, or whether you're just playing and a trophy pops.

Exactly!

Some people are concerned about having trophies that they didn't earn themselves, well yeah it's their accounts but if they have friends/family they can earn trophies like your account did.