Telltale and Mojang Announce Minecraft: Story Mode

Goro

The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.

Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.

Minecraft: Story Mode will be an all-new narrative-driven game series developed by Telltale in collaboration with Mojang. Set in the world of Minecraft, the series will feature an original story, driven by player choice. It will not be an add-on for Minecraft, but rather a separate stand-alone product.

This story mode is developed by Telltale but Mojang has said that they and their community members will also have some amount of input to contribute.

minecraft_storymode.png?zoom=1.5&resize=

Source

Edited by Goro

The only logical conclusion I can draw from this is that Mojang realise that Minecraft's success has already reached saturation point, and that adding a story mode/spinoff will prolong the brand's stay in the sun. However, this is perhaps the first sign that Minecraft may be becoming old news and that the franchise needs to branch out towards newer projects to stay relevant.

Also, anyone else seriously worried about the amount of projects that Telltale are juggling? Seriously, they've needed to update their game engine for quite some time, and they simply won't have the time or resources to develop a new one if they keep taking on new projects. Maybe I'm just pissed off that I didn't see The Wolf Among Us: Season 2, and that's the sole reason I'm ranting right now. I'm a bitter, confused season 2-less soul it seems. 

• Like 2

For some reason this looks quite interesting and im kinda looking forward to it, altough i wont buy it until all episodes are released. And i dont think its that hard to think of a story for minecraft, there are alot of custom stories for it. I hope it will involve herobrine though.

Don't like this one at all and I think it's dumb that Telltale is going to make a story of Minecradt and I'm a fan of Telltale. Not interested on trying this out.

I think it will be very difficult to make an awesome story in the Minecraft world.

As stated by Dragon-Archon i would rather have a The Walking dead 3

And TWAU 2 as well even though Tellatle is doing Game Of Thrones right now.

Well this should be short and sweet.

[spoiler ALERT]

Steve punches a tree. Steve makes a wooden pickaxe.

Steve finds a stone. Steve upgrades to a stone pickaxe.

Steve digs a hole. Steve finds iron ore.

Steve makes an oven. Steve makes an iron axe.

Steve goes to sleep. We all go to sleep.

The end.

That's your five episodes right there. You're welcome.

Not sure if this is Telltale going to far or milking the Minecraft IP going to far, but someone's definetly gone too far here.

I'm a Minecraft fan, but you're right. Isn't it enough all of us have to put up with this kind of crap on Youtube, yet let alone a game where they expect people to pay for it.

I think Telltale will be a one trick pony, which is a shame. Cause I feel personally it's fueled a lot by easy platinums/trophies. So they'll keep making these "Stories" and people will keep buying them.