Suggestion: User Ratings for games

This has been suggested before. If it was going to happen, it would have already.

There's entirely too many ways for for the ratings to end up inaccurate, and it's also a bit pointless. Anyone interested in a game is going to look up reviews and/or gameplay videos, and/or is going to take suggestions from a person whose taste they can trust. No one is going to buy a game because of a simple rating system.

• Like 1

This has been suggested before. If it was going to happen, it would have already.

There's entirely too many ways for for the ratings to end up inaccurate, and it's also a bit pointless. Anyone interested in a game is going to look up reviews and/or gameplay videos, and/or is going to take suggestions from a person whose taste they can trust. No one is going to buy a game because of a simple rating system.

Calm down.

I think having a global user rating and a personal rating for games would be the best option for a feature like this. That way you can get a general idea of the average rating from the users of the site but also organize and rate your games in a separate list with your own scores.

Oh, I've fought hard back in the day to see something like this implemented on this fine website.  But alas, nothing ever came of it.  I still think it'd be a fun addition, one I'd definitely participate in.

I've never really bought into the whole "it'd be abused so badly that it wouldn't actually provide any relevant information" story.  Would there be bitter husks of human refuse out there that gang-rate good games as horrible just for the "lulz", or for asinine reasons that no reasonable person would agree with?  Sure.  But I think most people would be pretty honest at the end of the day.

Edited by Dreakon13

Perhaps there could be a (very complicated) system where your amount of trophies give your votes more strenght?

Example: someone who has platinum the game has a more powerful vote than someone who has like only the first "finish prologue" trophy and claims the game is bad.

Because I know some people here would claim a game is really bad because of trophies.

• Like 1

Perhaps there could be a (very complicated) system where your amount of trophies give your votes more strenght?

Example: someone who has platinum the game has a more powerful vote than someone who has like only the first "finish prologue" trophy and claims the game is bad.

Because I know some people here would claim a game is really bad because of trophies.

Maybe having the Platinum(or not) would give you an ability to write a small comment on the rating. When you held your mouse over the rating section on person's trophy page for the specific game or something, it would show up.  :)

And it wouldn't be the actual Trophies that determine the strength of the vote, but the exp you get from them. For example you need to have 100 exp from let's say from game GTA V to give a vote from it. And so on.. But like it has been mentioned above it would turn up very very complicated.

Edited by killivincent

Suggestion : search forums, more posts on a single topic > multiple topics on the same subject

I wont go into a full debate, but user ratings aren't what you could call hard facts - whether it is abused or not doesn't really enter into consideration.

At the moment, the front end of the site is about stats, not user experience. That may change in time, I'm not in Sly's head, but I would suggest that until the site moves towards more user experience, this sort of thing will not be considered a priority, or of any use at all.

I do realise that people want a one stop shop for everything game related; but that isn't the direction that the site is going towards at the present time (thank god for that)

• Like 1

user reviews are always useless for the following reasons:

1. People always give stuff 0 or 5.

2. People generally seem to think anything less than 75% or 4/5 is a bad score, where actually sub 25% or less than 2/5 should be classed as bad.

3. Hipster douches love to mark games down when they see it get good marks and up when they see it get bad marks just to go against the grain

4. Scores are without context - with no way to explain what you didn't or did like ("I hate football, so FIFA gets 0/5")

5. Average gamer is not qualified to review games (in order to review you need context - unless you have played hundreds of shooters you cannot say a particular one is good or bad - or rather you CAN, but your opinion does not carry enough weight to place a categorical score on a game. Share your opinion in a discussion of course, that is different and completely appropriate for the site.

I, by the way, include myself in the list of people I consider unqualified to review, before anyone come in and accuses me of snobbery or some such horseshit

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Where this could be awesome is in the raw data. If someone rates all their games and I've played and rated the same games, PSNP suggesting other games that person has also rated highly would convince me to check them out.

As a simple number, it has no context and provides no usable value other than allowing users to gain vindication for their tastes or disdain for people who disagree. It's an ego booster or defeater. In a system, it has potential.

I would almost suggest hiding peoples individual ratings from others. Rate all you want, and as suggested above, and give people with more trophies/points proportional weight to their scores. A "Great" rating with 4 out of 28 trophies would weigh less than a "Great" rating with 28 out of 28 trophies. I would also suggest the scale go from -1 to 3, including 0. That way you can "Dislike" a game with the same hate as "Effing Despise" a game, but they will be less likely to negatively impact peoples higher scores, since they bear the same weight. Also, as most people know, you don't need a Platinum on a game to realize you hated every minute you put into it (I'm looking at you Tron!) So you don't need 3 degrees of not liking a game.

• Like 1

If this gets implemented somehow, I hope a requirement would be that people have played it.

Honestly though, I'd much rather prefer written reviews, and no score.

Another thing I'd like is people rating how difficult the game is and how long it takes etc, but please, only allow people who has already 100% or 80% or similar.

I wont go into a full debate, but user ratings aren't what you could call hard facts

Hate to burst your bubble, but there is very little about this site that i would call a "hard fact".  Unless we can confirm every game on these consoles are in the database, and every user to ever boot up a Playstation console is tracked... any statistical analysis is nothing more than a suggestion (not that it's a bad thing).  And don't get me started about the varied accuracy and availability of things like trophy guides, but god forbid something subjective exist in a community oriented Playstation fan built website.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1