What's your method to make people cheer up again ?

nagisa-chan1987

hmmm, it depends on the character. There are times that i just say funny stuff and he/she cheers up. Sometimes i mention something that is far worse that what cause sadness to my friend and he/she eventually gets more happy. I can start singing and because i'm really awful with singing all my friends just start laughing whatever the situation. Since i can't do all of that here i'll offer you a strawberry pie that will definitely cheer you up! Also i'll add some happy faces!!!

:lol::):lol::):lol::):lol::):lol::):lol::) :) xD:)xD:)xD:)xD:)xD:)xD:)xD:)xD

no-bake-strawberry-cheesecake-02zb.jpg

• Like 2

I do not really have any certain way to "...cheer people up...". My ways of doing that are entirely situational and dependent upon what is causing the person to feel how they do/how they feel. There are many circumstances where one thing may work to cheer another up, while in another it may not. I generally put all the knowledge I have of the person and how they function together to formulate the method I use for it. However, since it seems you do not want a particularly detailed response, I will just attempt to summarise it in the worst way possible;  Attempt to get to the root of what is causing their sadness. If the person is not willing to open up, though, this is rather difficult. In which case, I just do my best to let the person trust me and I try to keep things as pleasant as possible.

• Like 2

It depends on how well I know them and what the problem is. Usually I say something they think is funny, or something we did that was funny and make a joke about it. Otherwise I just listen and sympathize. That normally works too.

• Like 1

Been forever I last cheered up someone on my own, so I've no idea. If anything, most of the time I'm the reason why people feel down. I literally deal with people who are down everyday, but most of the time all they ever do is just bitch and bitch about stuff I don't care, but I have to force myself to hear them out and try to give them answers, since they are my "friends"... yeah, I'm not good when it comes to socializing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm far too selfish to care when "people" are feeling down. However, if it was a family member then I'd tell them to man up and get over it. If my Wife was feeling down (Which hardly ever happens) I'd give her a hug. I doubt this helps. 

• Like 2

The way I usually cheer up is being left alone for a while.  This is how the majority of my family works.  I can't stand being hugged (anti-social issues when it comes to people touching me, it freaks me out), or people seeing that I'm a bit down and saying "What's wrong?" "You ok?", I know that's the normal thing to do when you see someone down about something, but I'm one of those rare cases where usually the issue fixes itself when left alone and only gets worst if you try to fix it.

• Like 2

I show them pictures of what sitting cats look like from below.

3407046612_3a8a8dac27.jpgCat-on-a-glass-table-5.jpg?564e0c

Hasn't failed me yet.

dang it.. what's with these pictures... can't stop smiling...*chuckles*

OT:

to cheer up someone

-a joke to lighten up the mood... 

-make them look on the bright side, silver lining, always a rainbow after the rain ^_^

-ensure that I am here whenever they need me ^_^

to cheer me up is different case though:

-sweets

-anime

-sleep

Edited by JeieeM
  • Like 2

That's the point! See, it worked on you too xD

;s Laughing in my case is caused by anxiety and stress. Which is the result of feeling utterly disgusted. (IE the picture). This would just make me feel even more horrible if I was genuinely sad. :x Just like when people try "tickling" me to cheer me up. Sure, it gets a laugh, but not due to genuinely enjoying it. It is an instinctive reaction. It just ends up irritating me more than I already was. Only way to make me feel better is to fix whatever is causing my sadness. :L Not trying to say it would not work for other people, though. Nor am I trying to be a bummer if that is how I am coming off. Just stating my personal viewpoint.

Note; I am certain I said this. But I am only talking about how I am with it, not trying to speak for others.

Edited by Nepgear2

If they want to talk about it, I listen.

Any further action or inaction stems from that step, but usually just being a non-judgemental third party off whom they can bounce their thoughts provides them with at least some relief.

If they do not want to talk about it, I don't force them to.

The most active I'll be then is to distract them. Ex. I had a buddy whose gf/baby-mama split away from him, and we spent a while hanging blinds, replacing switchplates, and giving disgusted, overly-dramatic "Ooooh"s to dead mice and dead roaches in the rent house he crash-landed in... it was more fun than it sounds. 

Don't get me wrong, though. Leaving them in peace so they can think it through is not the same as not caring.

In the end, it's their emotions and only they can resolve them. Interfering isn't always the answer.

I guess I'm not trying to cheer them up, as much as I am trying to help them stay leveled.

Edited by siuilarun