Huge amount of Day One DLC, Please stay away from game.

MafiaBrett

I respectfully disagree for a few reasons.

1. It's still Day One DLC, which means that some of the time that we were made to believe was to optimize the game was actually spent to make more stuff to sell us despite having just paid 60$ for the thing.

2. The game has a 60$ pricetag! I find it hard to believe that holding back these skins behind a paywall is necessary to be able to support the game.

3. The game is and i quote "built from the ground up to support DLC" so i find it hard to believe there isn't more content held back for selling in the future.

4. One of the monsters, which i'd count as essential content, actually is hidden behind a day one paywall in form of a preorder bonus.

5. Have you even seen the crazy business they pulled with all the super duper preorder fancy schmancy editions they announced?

I get your point. If you'll allow me some really heavy sarcasm for a moment:

1. You want everything they worked on up until the point of release and not one line of code less. All they are meant to work on is creating on optimizing the game. Anything extra is only to start *after* the game ships.

2. And since the game costs the same that new games costed 15 year ago, they should be making plenty of money, or at least enough to support the game.

3. You heard a quote, which is incorrect and out of context and are going to repeat it, interpreting it however you choose.

4. You've also determined that you want something that was a promotion, so you say the game is unplayable without it.

5. The OP is the first time I have even heard of the game.

/sarcasm

I have no intention of playing this game. It's not my genre and doesn't look interesting to me at all. I'm not saying what they're doing is good. I'm giving a case on why it makes sense from their perspective. This game is going to peak with the number of players within 30 days. This is when cosmetic DLC (which is what the OP started this thread referencing) is the most effective financially. If you wait to release it until interest starts waning, you've lost potential customers. Also, not everyone who works for a game company has the same qualifications. If they hired guys who did the in game skins and those guys worked on the paid skins before QC was done, who cares? The janitor probably can't balance the books, doesn't mean he can't clean something else at the same time the books are getting balanced by someone else.

Developers/publishers/game creators aren't charities. They're businessmen. They're doing what they do to make money.

Here's your full quote - According to Turtle Rock Studios’ creative directors Phil Robb and Chris Ashton, “Everything needed to be conceptualized from the ground up: every piece of gear, every weapon, every ship and vehicle, all of the buildings and pieces of equipment the Monsters are trying to destroy, each colonist and their factions, the places they live and the machines they use—even the surface of planet Shear and it’s moons and nearby galaxies. And it all needed to look distinctly Evolve.” http://evolvegame.com/news/book-the-art-of-evolve

Followed by "We're definitely looking to see how the community reacts... It's designed to have a long life--hopefully that works and we get to try a bunch of crazy things with the community after release," he said. "As long as people are into it and the DLC does reasonably well, then we'd like to keep making more. At the end of the day, it's a business and it has to make sense, but we believe that we've built a game that does support that really well--more so than any game ever before." http://www.totalxbox.com/79221/evolve-to-support-dlc-better-than-any-game-ever-before/

That quote addresses your #3. Yes, they want to keep releasing DLC to keep the content fresh for future players. Planning for the future is a good thing.

Pre-order DLC is great. It rewards early investors who commit their money on faith alone. Cosmetic launch "Day One DLC" is great because it make perfect business sense and doesn't interfere with the game experience.

I don't have the perspective that any game company owes me anything. I see why you think what you do, I just don't agree with your premises so I don't agree with your conclusion.

3. You heard a quote, which is incorrect and out of context and are going to repeat it, interpreting it however you choose.

This just made me smile.  How can a quote be both wrong and out of context.  If it is wrong, its context is irrelevant, and if it out of context, it must be a quote.

And for being on topic, this video pretty much sums up my concerns.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/01/the-jimquisition-how-evolve-fell-down-the-bullshit-tree/

It's my opinion, you're saying you wont play a game based on trophies, in my opinion that's just silly. Okay sure 99% was an exaggeration but big companies tend to have DLC.

It would be no different with these who did exactly the same with L4D.

It's just a matter of opinion, you have yours and I have mine, moan about mine all you will but that's just me.

It's not more valid or correct just because it's your opinion. I've not said I won't play a game based on trophies. I play tons of games without trophies. I said I avoid games with unnecessary DLCs like these. Just because big companies tend to do a thing, that doesn't mean we should accept it. I don't know why you are talking about L4D, I might have missed why you're talking about that game.

Also, how am I meant to know why it's the case, they do it not me.

AAA doesn't need to have DLCs, but this is one of the reasons I tend to avoid AAA titles. It's all big budget, but little money spent where I want it, and they expect us to pay a lot more for the games, and luring us with the initial price for then charging us a lot more later. I really don't get the point of these DLCs... do they really earn that much on them that it's worth not giving their customers better value for their initial asking price?

I'll encourage who I like, if you're simply going to moan about them not giving you a couple of extra skins on day one the why shouldn't I tell you to stop moaning?

No, I'm whining about them expecting us to pay for content that should have been in the game, and would have been better if it was incorporated into the game instead of just having to pay an additional fee for it. You can do whatever you want, but expect people to continue whine about it when it continues to happen.

You're getting a game from hard work they put in for years, yet will go out of your way to say this and that for extra skins? 

It's not arrogance at all it's getting a few extra buck and why not? Appreciation for hard work they put in? It's not like you're going to have an advantage getting a pink camo.

A few extra buck to show my appreciation? If I bought the game on release for full price, I've already shown my appreciation and some.

It's not about paying to win or getting an advantage, it's about them making stuff for the game, and then instead of giving it to everyone who purchase the game, they place it behind a pay wall expecting us to pay an additional fee to get the content they intentionally left out of the game.

I'm probably never going to get this game, so I'm not really invested in this. I also never would pay for some skins. Skins are some of the most lazy DLC there is. If they made some worth while paying for, which obviously was made after the game and doesn't seem like something that should have been there when I initially purchased the game, this is great. I pay for that kind of DLC.

So here they took some of the most lazy DLC they could, which is why people aren't as bothered by it, because they aren't that interested in it. Put this content behind a paywall at an additional fee for those who supported the game the most by purchasing the game at full price at launch.

Edited by MMDE

As juvenile as this probably is, I can't stand these "DON'T BUY THIS" topics.  No matter how valid your point is, it loses all credibility (with me at least) if you're ordering me around before I've even had a chance to read your post.  Let your point convince me that I should "stay away from this game"... don't just tell me to do it.

It's not more valid or correct just because it's your opinion. I've not said I won't play a game based on trophies. I play tons of games without trophies. I said I avoid games with unnecessary DLCs like these. Just because big companies tend to do a thing, that doesn't mean we should accept it. I don't know why you are talking about L4D, I might have missed why you're talking about that game.

I never said anything like it's more valid because it's my opinion. That's just silly. I cleary stated that's my opinion, nothing more. Also just because you don't accept it, doesn't mean companies will listen. I mentioned L4D because they made that too and they did similar things with DLC to that also.

AAA doesn't need to have DLCs, but this is one of the reasons I tend to avoid AAA titles. It's all big budget, but little money spent where I want it, and they expect us to pay a lot more for the games, and luring us with the initial price for then charging us a lot more later. I really don't get the point of these DLCs... do they really earn that much on them that it's worth not giving their customers better value for their initial asking price?

So what you're saying is, because they don't spend money where you like it then you will avoid it? Which is fair enough but they try to appeal the mass, not the few. On the term of them selling well is all down to how well the games are. Sure this could be a massive flop but it could be great and them doing anything that could bring them more money.

No, I'm whining about them expecting us to pay for content that should have been in the game, and would have been better if it was incorporated into the game instead of just having to pay an additional fee for it. You can do whatever you want, but expect people to continue whine about it when it continues to happen.

I understand that trust me, sure it should of been in the game but they didn't have to and they didn't. Nothing anyone could do now but I don't really care to be honest. It won't hinder my experience when I eventually play it.

A few extra buck to show my appreciation? If I bought the game on release for full price, I've already shown my appreciation and some.

It's not about paying to win or getting an advantage, it's about them making stuff for the game, and then instead of giving it to everyone who purchase the game, they place it behind a pay wall expecting us to pay an additional fee to get the content they intentionally left out of the game.

I'm probably never going to get this game, so I'm not really invested in this. I also never would pay for some skins. Skins are some of the most lazy DLC there is. If they made some worth while paying for, which obviously was made after the game and doesn't seem like something that should have been there when I initially purchased the game, this is great. I pay for that kind of DLC.

So here they took some of the most lazy DLC they could, which is why people aren't as bothered by it, because they aren't that interested in it. Put this content behind a paywall at an additional fee for those who supported the game the most by purchasing the game at full price at launch.

Sure you could say that but making games isn't cheap but I understand where you're coming from. My initial post was about the "stay away from the game." That's what I don't understand, you can't expect people not to pick it up because they didn't give you camos. Again pay wall, whatever. The thing is I don't understand how people get worked up about it if it doesn't take away from the game. It's not all about stuff on top of stuff on top of stuff for free.

I wish it worked like that but it's just not the way companies are anymore.

Don't take anything I just said the wrong way. It's my opinion.

Edited by Meacham93

I respectfully disagree for a few reasons.

1. It's still Day One DLC, which means that some of the time that we were made to believe was to optimize the game was actually spent to make more stuff to sell us despite having just paid 60$ for the thing.

2. The game has a 60$ pricetag! I find it hard to believe that holding back these skins behind a paywall is necessary to be able to support the game.

3. The game is and i quote "built from the ground up to support DLC" so i find it hard to believe there isn't more content held back for selling in the future.

4. One of the monsters, which i'd count as essential content, actually is hidden behind a day one paywall in form of a preorder bonus.

5. Have you even seen the crazy business they pulled with all the super duper preorder fancy schmancy editions they announced?

While the Day 1 DLC could be developed alongside the game, keep in mind that there's always a period of time (usually 1 month) between the game going gold and releasing the game. It could've been created in that time frame. Because the artists are usually one of the first teams to finish their work and while the programmers, testers, sound team, lighting team and whatnot are still busy, the writers and concept artists are finished and can start on DLC. When the programmers and the rest are done, they can work on the cosmetic DLC and potential gameplay DLC. Please do keep in mind that I haven't followed the development of Evolve and I don't know when the developer exactly announced the cosmetic DLC.

I get your point. If you'll allow me some really heavy sarcasm for a moment:

1. You want everything they worked on up until the point of release and not one line of code less. All they are meant to work on is creating on optimizing the game. Anything extra is only to start *after* the game ships.

2. And since the game costs the same that new games costed 15 year ago, they should be making plenty of money, or at least enough to support the game.

4. You've also determined that you want something that was a promotion, so you say the game is unplayable without it.

5. The OP is the first time I have even heard of the game.

/sarcasm

I have no intention of playing this game. It's not my genre and doesn't look interesting to me at all. I'm not saying what they're doing is good. I'm giving a case on why it makes sense from their perspective. This game is going to peak with the number of players within 30 days. This is when cosmetic DLC (which is what the OP started this thread referencing) is the most effective financially. If you wait to release it until interest starts waning, you've lost potential customers. Also, not everyone who works for a game company has the same qualifications. If they hired guys who did the in game skins and those guys worked on the paid skins before QC was done, who cares? The janitor probably can't balance the books, doesn't mean he can't clean something else at the same time the books are getting balanced by someone else.

Developers/publishers/game creators aren't charities. They're businessmen. They're doing what they do to make money.

Here's your full quote - According to Turtle Rock Studios’ creative directors Phil Robb and Chris Ashton, “Everything needed to be conceptualized from the ground up: every piece of gear, every weapon, every ship and vehicle, all of the buildings and pieces of equipment the Monsters are trying to destroy, each colonist and their factions, the places they live and the machines they use—even the surface of planet Shear and it’s moons and nearby galaxies. And it all needed to look distinctly Evolve.” http://evolvegame.com/news/book-the-art-of-evolve

Followed by "We're definitely looking to see how the community reacts... It's designed to have a long life--hopefully that works and we get to try a bunch of crazy things with the community after release," he said. "As long as people are into it and the DLC does reasonably well, then we'd like to keep making more. At the end of the day, it's a business and it has to make sense, but we believe that we've built a game that does support that really well--more so than any game ever before." http://www.totalxbox.com/79221/evolve-to-support-dlc-better-than-any-game-ever-before/

That quote addresses your #3. Yes, they want to keep releasing DLC to keep the content fresh for future players. Planning for the future is a good thing.

Pre-order DLC is great. It rewards early investors who commit their money on faith alone. Cosmetic launch "Day One DLC" is great because it make perfect business sense and doesn't interfere with the game experience.

I don't have the perspective that any game company owes me anything. I see why you think what you do, I just don't agree with your premises so I don't agree with your conclusion.

Our mindsets on the matter seem to be drastically different in regards to the subject and i strongly doubt either side's opinion is going to change here but let me at least explain where i'm coming from so i don't seem like some douche who is just hating for the sake of hating.

First of all, i'm a fan of the concept of DLC itself. I've bought my fair share of story expansions, skin packs and season passes. But in these cases, i always did so because i felt the game itself was alreaady complete and i just wanted more of it.

Now lately, i've started to become more and more aware of the developers mindsets you mentioned earlier. Obviously it's a business and obviously they're going to try and squeeze as much money out of me as they can which is their good right, but i feel like the consumer himself is starting to become more and more irrelevant in this equation.

See i used to see it like this: A developer makes a finished game and then starts to build on top of that when the demand is there. That might not really have ever been the case but at least companies used to care enough to act like the consumer actually mattered.

Nowadays it's not rare to see DLC getting scheduled releases before the game itself even releases. The game itself could be complete and utter shit and received horribly yet they still make plans to release DLC because they already know it's going to be profitable.

Like this game. Evolve is a new IP so there really isn't an already existing fanbase yet they still throw extra stuff for you to buy the second you boot it up and it's that attitude that's ticking me off here.

I start this game up for the first time, haven't played a single round yet and the first thing i see is the game asking HEY WANNA GIVE US MORE MONEY and it just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh and about preorder DLC:

It's not rewarding early investors. You don't actually pay when you preorder, but when the game releases. It's not supporting a work in progress.

All the preorder really does is giving them the chance to sell you stuff without having to worry about bad reviews yet.

There are a lot of sound arguments on both sides of the AAA DLC debate. I am one of those people that sit in that corner of "if the base game is good by itself I'm happy, and if really love the game then I'll buy the DLC". I'm sure most of us can say that some DLC content has been done well as far as when it comes out and what it adds to the base game, and others are just cash grab BS that most would agree should just be part of the retail release of the base game.

After looking at all of the responses here I thought about this question "would we as a gaming community pay about $100-$150 for 1 full game with all the possible "DLC" just there on the disk at release?" I mean if we took away all the pre-order BS, the season pass BS and all the other extras that chip at our wallets and it was just all there would we pay that price? per game? AAA or otherwise?

I believe the answer to that question for most people is no, even to just escape the DLC BS. So we are left with the developers trying to do what they can to make their profits, I do believe the DLC process could be handled better especially in the case of this game where pre-order DLC was offered before any actual in-game content was shown.

Our mindsets on the matter seem to be drastically different in regards to the subject and i strongly doubt either side's opinion is going to change here but let me at least explain where i'm coming from so i don't seem like some douche who is just hating for the sake of hating.

First of all, i'm a fan of the concept of DLC itself. I've bought my fair share of story expansions, skin packs and season passes. But in these cases, i always did so because i felt the game itself was alreaady complete and i just wanted more of it.

Now lately, i've started to become more and more aware of the developers mindsets you mentioned earlier. Obviously it's a business and obviously they're going to try and squeeze as much money out of me as they can which is their good right, but i feel like the consumer himself is starting to become more and more irrelevant in this equation.

See i used to see it like this: A developer makes a finished game and then starts to build on top of that when the demand is there. That might not really have ever been the case but at least companies used to care enough to act like the consumer actually mattered.

Nowadays it's not rare to see DLC getting scheduled releases before the game itself even releases. The game itself could be complete and utter shit and received horribly yet they still make plans to release DLC because they already know it's going to be profitable.

Like this game. Evolve is a new IP so there really isn't an already existing fanbase yet they still throw extra stuff for you to buy the second you boot it up and it's that attitude that's ticking me off here.

I start this game up for the first time, haven't played a single round yet and the first thing i see is the game asking HEY WANNA GIVE US MORE MONEY and it just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

It's not rewarding early investors. You don't actually pay when you preorder, but when the game releases. It's not supporting a work in progress.

All the preorder really does is giving them the chance to sell you stuff without having to worry about bad reviews yet.

I think you hit the nail on the head right here.  It would be one thing for Gran Turismo 7 to have planned DLC, or COD.  These are games that they know will sell, and will still be around.  Evolve has no evidence to say that people will like it, or that people will want to play it.  They sell you all these season passes and pre-order DLC now, because in 4 months the game may be dead.  This is one of the reasons I have never been a fan of season passes, especially in a game that relies so heavily on multiplayer.  *NOTE* I know that there are bots, but what other teamwork game has had AI that are even remotely good enough to play with? *END NOTE*.  You could spend over $100 on this game and all its DLC before you even get your hands on the game to see if it is any good.  Also, if the season passes don't sell well, and the game is a flop, what guarantee do you have that you would even get any of the DLC you expected?  And if the multiplayer is dead, how would you use it?

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a problem with the developers, it is a problem with the consumers who continue to buy these packages.  They have proven in the past to make money, even when they are for new unproven games like this one, so I do not blame the developers at all for trying to sell them.  

Game developer models pre-internet and post-internet are very different. I loved that pre-internet there was no such thing as a patch, the game *had* to be ready to ship with minimal bugs. However, most of those games were developed on a limited number of controlled systems and were less complex.

Now, with the invention of always-on media, digital media and regular patches, there is more pressure than ever. If game developers stick to the old business model, they don't make the money and get bought out, raped for their I.P. and shut down.

I look at it like this: If LittleBigPlanet was launched next month, Media Molecules absolute best interest would be in having every single costume available today ready to go at launch. Not the expansion packs, though. Players could customize the crap out of their sackboy and MM would recoup their development costs sooner to get started on publishing the extra expansions. They get the most possible people having the most options potentially keeping them playing longer. Expansions are added as interest drops, but every time, the number of players is smaller and smaller. Sure the 'hardcore' might stick around, but if you only cater to the 'hardcore', you'll never make enough money for *any* expansions or even a sequel. Trying to sell costumes to 2 million people has a better chance than 200,000 people. Trying to sell expansion packs to 150,000 players lowers the possibility recouping costs for another expansion.

It's not a black _or_ white, this _or_ that issue. Game companies are experimenting. The ones who fail did it wrong. They're trying to stay afloat and trade-offs will need to be made.

I had no idea you didn't need to pay for preorders. Where I used to work, you had to put down a deposit. I didn't know places took preorders without doing that. When my buddies released a game, they got preorder numbers and a check cut to them and they gauged how many games to press based on that number plus a percentage. If that's the case than my point about preorders was wrong. It's just a way to give out free stuff for people who want it before hearing about or playing it.

Why don't you worry about your own life instead of telling others what to do? The DLC is nothing more than skins and the like. Nothing is giving anybody an advantage, so complaining about it is pointless. Don't like it? Don't buy the DLC or even the game. Simple as that. But enough with the 'EVERYBODY MUST BE LIKE ME' mentality. I've been stoked for this game for a long time. I got it as soon as I was able to and I've had a ton of fun with it and that's all that matters. If you don't like it, I don't care. If I want to buy some of those skins, I'll do it. People need to stop complaining about day 1 DLC. Nobody is forcing you to buy it. Yeah, stuff like this used to be unlocked through gameplay. Games also use to be 2D and side scrolling. Things change, business evolves and changes with what people want and do. DLC is no different than the expansion packs of back in the day. Or did you forget about those? Or are you even old enough to remember those?

Why don't you worry about your own life instead of telling others what to do? The DLC is nothing more than skins and the like. Nothing is giving anybody an advantage, so complaining about it is pointless. Don't like it? Don't buy the DLC or even the game. Simple as that. But enough with the 'EVERYBODY MUST BE LIKE ME' mentality. I've been stoked for this game for a long time. I got it as soon as I was able to and I've had a ton of fun with it and that's all that matters. If you don't like it, I don't care. If I want to buy some of those skins, I'll do it. People need to stop complaining about day 1 DLC. Nobody is forcing you to buy it. Yeah, stuff like this used to be unlocked through gameplay. Games also use to be 2D and side scrolling. Things change, business evolves and changes with what people want and do. DLC is no different than the expansion packs of back in the day. Or did you forget about those? Or are you even old enough to remember those?

• Like 2

Oops, too late. Am currently playing the game, and am having lots of fun with it. I saw the Day One DLC, and it's just skin packs. I don't know what's the big ruckus, as the developers have already publicly informed  awhile ago that we should expect tons of OPTIONAL DLC to be available for the game. The DLC Skins packs won't affect the final product, cause, well they're skins! I think I  before have read something about the  DLC map packs being be free, if I'm not mistaken. Only problem I have with the DLC Skin Packs is how expensive they are, but that's about it. I am interested in making my Monsters look even cooler, so I have no beef with the DLC.

I know that there are incoming DLC Monsters, and these you do have to pay for to unlock. I still don't know how I feel about these, considering the fact that we're supposed to be getting the Behemoth next month.

I love how you say "don't tell me what to do" and than proceed to tell people what to do/think. People can complain about day 1 dlc all they want. Don't like it? Don't read a thread about it...problem solved.

This is exactly the type of DLC I support. Even if it's at launch. Especially if it's at launch. It's all cosmetic, doesn't hinder the story, doesn't complicate the interface for new users with too many choices and helps the developer recoup investment costs faster. Having it available while they're getting the best margin (at launch) as well as when it'll have the peak number of users who have the money (they obviously paid full price, rather than year later bargin-bin pricing) is ideal for huge online multi-player games.

Cosmetic DLC at launch is ideal. Thinking about launching cosmetic DLC months after launch when the number of users is down and many have moved on is the past.

I see your point, but it's a fully priced retail game backed by a major publisher. 

And even if it is "just cosmetic", the facts that it's day one DLC and (I presume) the skins will appear to other players in online play suggests that the DLC is on disc or will be pushed to your machine by a mandatory patch. Making me pay extra for access to something that's already on the disc (or pushed to my machine via patch) stinks to me. If it's on my machine/disc, then I want to be able to access it because I either (a) already paid for it; or ( B) (edit - that's supposed to be a "b" in parentheses, not an emoji) it's taking up HDD space on my machine for someone else's benefit.

This type of DLC is not good for the consumer. It is a blatant money grab by publishers.

Some other opinion:

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 2

I love how you say "don't tell me what to do" and than proceed to tell people what to do/think. People can complain about day 1 dlc all they want. Don't like it? Don't read a thread about it...problem solved.

Suggesting he worry about his own life and money is telling him what to do? TC is a prick and so is anybody else that is condemning this game based on cosmetic Day 1 DLC. You guys can complain all you want and keep sniffing the ass of Jim Sterling, one of the biggest idiots around. I'll keep on playing a game I enjoy. Sound like a deal?

PS. I remember buying Dragon Age Origins - just the basic standard edition, nothing fancy - and being pleasantly surprised to find a download code for an extra mission and party member. When I looked it up, I discovered that Shale (the party member in question) had been cut from the game in late development, but that the devs had found the time between the game going gold and launch to finish him and his mission off and include it with the base game for no extra charge. Now that's day 1 DLC that, as a consumer, I can get behind.

Contrast that with Evolve which, over a year before launch, was already boasting about DLC monsters it had in the works.

• Like 1

Does the outfit your character is wearing really have any effect on the gameplay?  Are they withholding any actually content that has more value than appearance?  Does a game like this really need a selling point of "Look at all the costumes you can wear"?

No, but I will say one of the fun parts of Saints Row 3 was getting different costumes and creating awesome looks.

The game would still have been a blast to play without that, but the fact that I could make a metallic, pink hair, trench coat wearing demon made it even better :)

• Like 1