Top 10 Saddest Video Game Deaths

Beyondthegrave07

WARNING: This thread contains major spoilers (obviously). Read at your own risk!

I could not find a similar topic to save the life of me so I created this topic because I want to hear what you think are the saddest video game deaths.

Here is my list:

1. Aerith (Final Fantasy VII). Aerith's death was just shocking. I heard she was going to die way before I played this and I still found her death utterly shocking and depressing.
2. Emmeryn (Fire Emblem Awakening) - She dies to save her brother, her sister, and her country, and gracefully falls to her death as her family and friends watch her die. If that's not sad I don't know what is.
3. Tidus (Final Fantasy X) - Yes, I know he can be "revived" in FFX-2, but watching him say goodbye to Yuna was about as hard to watch as the ridiculous laughing seen. Both of those moments were just sad... in more ways than one.
4. The Boss (MGS3) - I've been watching my roommate play this lately and knowing that Snake kills his friend in mentor and then to figure out that she died to protect her country...Wow.
5. John (Red Dead Redemption) I've never played this one either, but I've read enough to understand the significance of his sacrifice. Dying for the sake of his family is sad, yet inspiring.
6. Kratos (GoW) - Kratos meets all the likings of a tragic hero. The hubris, the rise, the downfall, and the catharsis. To see him realize his mistakes and to sacrifice himself was so sad and beautiful in a way.
7. Persona 3 Hero (Persona 3) He makes a deal with the final boss to sacrifice himself and to use his body as a seal to the dark and sinister Tartaros. Yet, he's given just enough time to graduate with his friends. It was so sad to see him fade in Aigis's arms
8. Trish (Infamous) Damn. I didn't see this one coming. Watching Cole's love of his life die in front of him is just gut-wrenching... esp. when you choose to save the doctors over her.
9. Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days) - You knew this one was coming, but for her to be treated like crap from everyone in the organization except Axel and Roxas, then having to play as Roxas and to kill his best friend is just really sad to think about.
10. Vincent Valentine (Dirge of Cerberus) The whole game you watch flashbacks of Vincent's depressing life of how he lost Lucretia, the woman he loved. Then at the end, he makes the heroic sacrifice to join her at the end in the afterlife. Really saddened me to watch such a badass die.

What are your saddest deaths in videogames and why? Do you think heroic deaths are the saddest (like me)? Or do you think the shocking, untimely deaths are the saddest? Share your opinions!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

4. Big Boss (MGS3) - I've been watching my roommate play this lately and knowing that Snake kills his friend in mentor and then to figure out that she died to protect her country...Wow.

Big Boss is Naked Snake which is the player character, you're talking about The Boss ( aka The Joy)

• Like 2

I'm not even sure if I got a list of 10 Video Game Deaths that made me sad, but eh, I'll just start listing deaths that made me choke up, I guess.

1. John Marston from 'Red Dead Redemption'. I actually refused to believe that his death was inevitable. Before you get massacred, I always thought that you could somehow kill all the enemies when in 'Red Eye' mode, and that I could get an alternate ending in where John doesn't dies, and we don't have to play as his son Jack xD But sadly, there's no alternate ending, and you are meant to die no matter die. I did tear up when I saw John dying, and it's bullshit that he was betrayed like that, but at least he was able to save his family, so I do believe that his death was heroic.

2. I thought it was pretty sad that Cole Phelps from L.A. Noire actually ended up dying, and it sucked that he died the way he died. Yeah, his reputation with the police department was down the toilet, and he was no angel either, like how his reasoning on why he cheated on his wife was so stupid, but he still was a good man, a man that deserved not to die that young, considering how skilled he was.

3. Poor Emile from 'Valiant Hearts', in no way did he deserve that death, but... war is war, and of course, back then, times were really rough. I really choked up over his death, game reminded me that millions of soldiers died protecting their loved ones, and they died with no regrets for as long as they were able to keep their loved ones safe and alive far away from horrible things like war.

4. The Boss from 'Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater'. Need I say more?

5. Jenny from 'The Darkness'. Man, fucking bullshit, the way she died. Even more fucked up that Jacky had to see her die like that. Neither Jacky and Jenny deserved to go through that kind of situation.

6. Lee from 'The Walking Dead'. Man, that death... that death had me sobbing like crazy for half an hour. Really disheartening to see Lee die like that, knowing all of what he went through in that zombie apocalypse. But, he always knew that he probably die like that, but at least he had a reason as to why he carried on well and alive all of that time, and of course, he did it for Clementine. Such a great man Lee was. He's the kind of person that can give you hope to hold on to if you are dealing with a zombie apocalypse.

7. Reggie from 'inFAMOUS: Second Son' Pretty sad that he died, even more sad that he had to let go of Delsin's hand and accept the fact that he will die once he lets go of his hand, but he knew that he was gonna die either way, only that way he doesn't bring down Delsin with him and have them both die. I think I find his death even more sad due to how personal I find it, as I have a brother myself, who I don't necessarily love, but I sure as hell would not want my brother to die, especially die the way Reggie did.

There's more deaths that made me choke up, but at the current moment, I can't clearly remember as to which  would these be. I have some other deaths that made me really sad, but some of these deaths were optional, as in, you could only get to see these deaths due to choices that the game gives you to take. I tried to only state deaths that you can get no matter what you do in the game to progress through, as they are part of what makes up the game's main story.

Edited by Ethan Ruhkillmeez

Zack Fair in Crisis Core. By far the worst, and explainged in the spoiler.

Zack Fair: Crisis Core - By far is the saddest death in any game I've played. Starts out as a happy inexperienced kid holding onto what friends he has and the dream of one day becoming a "Hero". Then all throughout the game, his entire life becomes filled with heart break. He tries staying positive throughout all of it, but after certain points, you can see how it's just killing him emotionally. Then at the end, he finds out how he's lost several years of his life being a "lab rat", breaks free while carrying the almost dead body of his only remaining friend, finds out the girl he likes is starting to loose faith in ever seeing him again, and then dies on his way to see her while protecting his friend..... It doesn't get more sad than that. But SE are little bastads, and make the entire experience of his death even more devastating, by showing several flashbacks of his friends (while uninevitably dying in the final fight) in such a way that even the coldest hearted bastard feels for Zack Fair.

• Like 1

I only have this

Alister Azimuth sacrifise after realising his mistakes from Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time

Nathan Hale death by Capelli because Nathan was infected from an alien virus from Resistance 2

Also i'm not sure that Kratos died in GOW because at the end he is disappeared and there is only trail of blood. Well i hope he didn't died =/

You know it would probably be helpful if you listed the game you were talking about above your spoilers...that way I know if I can click on it without spoiling anything for myself. The way most of you are doing it I have no idea what game you are talking about so I have to click on the spoiler to see if I have played it or not and thus spoiling the death.,

Just a suggestion :).

As far as the saddest death I can think of, play Journey.

• Like 2

Not in any particular order but:

Cole from L.A.Noire
Tobi from Ökami
Lugo from Spec Ops: The Line
The boss from metal Gear Solid 3
Sarah from The Last Of Us
John Marston from Red Dead Redemption
Naomi from Metal Gear Solid 4
Solid Snake from almost all metal gears (although not confirmed, it's hinted that he commits suicide in mgs4)

• 2 weeks later...

This death list contains spoilers of and in the following games: Jak 3, The Last of Us, Resistance 2, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, inFAMOUS: First Light, inFAMOUS: Second Son, The Walking Dead: Season 1, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

- Damas (Jak 3)

- Sarah (The Last of Us)

- Nathan Hale (Resistance 2)

- Trish (inFAMOUS)

- Cole MacGrath (inFAMOUS 2)

- Zeke (inFAMOUS 2, evil ending)

- Brent Walker (inFAMOUS: First Light)

- Reggie (inFAMOUS: Second Son)

- Lee Everett (The Walking Dead: Season 1)

- Ghost (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2)

Edited by BlueDiamond93

• 5 months later...

Zack Fair in Crisis Core. By far the worst, and explainged in the spoiler.

Zack Fair: Crisis Core - By far is the saddest death in any game I've played. Starts out as a happy inexperienced kid holding onto what friends he has and the dream of one day becoming a "Hero". Then all throughout the game, his entire life becomes filled with heart break. He tries staying positive throughout all of it, but after certain points, you can see how it's just killing him emotionally. Then at the end, he finds out how he's lost several years of his life being a "lab rat", breaks free while carrying the almost dead body of his only remaining friend, finds out the girl he likes is starting to loose faith in ever seeing him again, and then dies on his way to see her while protecting his friend..... It doesn't get more sad than that. But SE are little bastads, and make the entire experience of his death even more devastating, by showing several flashbacks of his friends (while uninevitably dying in the final fight) in such a way that even the coldest hearted bastard feels for Zack Fair.

See, I found Zack's death to be far sadder for a different reason. I had played 7. I knew how this would end. The game was awesome and they made Zack an amazing character and through it all I knew how it was going to end, and then I got there.

The end as you know is a fight screen with infinite respawning enemies, I must have played about an hour and a half before I finally gave in and ended it, watching that final cutscene had me in tears. Fuck, I can't wit for the remake

Edited by Ruliya

Can't think of 10 atm but will add more if I think of any.

Infamous Second Son

Reggie's death - Didn't see this one coming and even though he could be annoying still sucked to see him go out like that.

L.A Noire

Cole Phelps

Heavy Rain

Ethan

Mass Effect 3

Thane - Knew it was coming since he was dying during 2. Still sad to see him die. Shep's death was also pretty shit.

Assassin's Creed II

Ezio's father and brothers - Not only sad but a shock, wasn't expecting them to die. Though I suppose it's a typical way to force someone to become something more.

The Witcher 3

Ciri's death - Obviously she comes back to life but fuck was I cut when I thought she was a goner. Spend the whole game looking for her and getting attached then nope she's dead

Not sure if I can think of 10, but here are a handful....

1 - The Boss (Metal Gear Solid 3); watching that cutscene play out and thinking that she will die during it, only for the game to return control to you and make you kill her yourself, even though you genuinely don't want to? That was some moving stuff right there. I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up inside the first time.

2 - John Marston (Red Dead Redemption); not many games have the cojones to kill off their protagonist, and certainly not in such a brutal manner. Marston, we salute you.

3 - Shaun Mars (Heavy Rain); following on from above, even fewer games are bold enough to kill a child. Some truly emotional stuff there.

4 - Ethan Mars (Heavy Rain); unable to deal with the loss of both his children, he blows his brains out at Shaun's grave. Didn't see that one coming, I must admit.

5 - Meryl Silverburgh (Metal Gear Solid); enough said. :P

6 - Tess (The Last Of Us); in a world with so few people that you can depend on, it's virtually heartbreaking when one of those closest to Joel sacrifices herself to protect Joel and Ellie, and before she turns into an Infected. Kinda expected her to survive, if I'm honest.