Dealing with Selfish & Idiotic Gamers/Boosters?

halcyon_32

Hi all.

Summary: How do I stop the moronic minority ruining the online gameplay experience? Have you encountered trolls/idiots/rage-quitters/etc.? How do you deal with them and the situation?

I wanted to get some input on how you, the noble, honest, generous, self-less gamers, deal with the "idiots" (to put it nicely) who are selfish, trolls, or generally do things to annoy you like rage-quitting.

As a slightly - make that extremely - vengeful person, I am annoyed I can't do anything to bring them significant anger/sadness comparable to what they cause (not only myself) but gamers who actually have integrity and aren't sore-losers, or selfish A-holes.

How many times can you (in general) "put up with it" before you just become cynical? Because its starting to takes its toll on me at least.

For example, I struggle to boost anymore without questioning whether he/she is actually going to help me as much I am helping him/her? (Boosting is a two-way street. You don't get your trophy [with the help of a partner], then leave the partner to find his/her own way stating "boost with someone else".)

I also struggle to enjoy playing online anymore as I too often encounter either trolls, rage-quitters or just general "idiots" (to put it nicely) who I just want to vapourise.

Its a bit negative, but I want to know what you, the noble, honest, generous, self-less gamer would do, because I realise there are those out there who actually deserve to breathe.

There's been an absolute avalanche of threads on this subject over the past week, which would just make me think: What in the fuck happened?! Is there someone out there who is on a rampage to scorn every gamer on the planet? Is there a boosting version of Jack the Ripper roaming the online realm and pissing people off?

• Like 2

I Remember boosting killzone 2 with some guy, I probably put around 5 hours in of just letting him kill me non stop so he could get enough XP to get top 1% trophy, when it was my turn he bounced and deleted me loool. At the time I wasn't laughing but eh it taught me a lesson...choose your friends wisely on psn. now I barely ever play a game that requires hours of boosting troohies -.-

If there is multiple trophies....I let some go to the boosting partner first and some for me.

There are tons of great people who have helped me.

One guy helped me boost Persona 4 Arena wins without asking anything back. Still hoping I can repay the favor someday.

Another helped me with Soul Caliber HD trophies.

• Like 1

The answer is simple to me and has been for years. If you go into games like Call of Duty, it doesn't matter who you are, what race you are, or what gender you are, you will get trolled - it's just what happens and you just have to expect it. An example is communities like Call of Duty where you'll see a lot of trolls and such.

I've played Call of Duty and similar games with a party of friends for years and we have all been called nasty names from people. To put it into perspective, my main party of friends has people of different races in it (black, spanish, vietnamese, etc...) along with some female friends too. We have all been called something and we all deal with it in our own ways, whether it be the standard stuff like muting or so forth. 

I like to just always have fun with it, just don't let trolls get to you, and have fun with the stupidity they are spewing. I'm always completely sarcastic with them and find so much fun playing around with them. Like if I'm called a "cracka with a garbage K/D ratio", I would reply something like "Yeah, it's no secret I suck at this game, and I'm definitely the biggest cracka that you'll find, I'm not sure how this is new information to me sir" or something like that  :P As a result of saying stuff like this or making an unexpected hilarious response, I've even gotten friend requests by the people trolling me or a response of "Haha, that was pretty funny", lmfao

Other friends are actually good at the game and would say "Okay, I'll see what you say after the next match," they own them and then the troll doesn't really say anything after the next match, haha who would have thought.

Basically there are communities with trolls in them and people who enjoy being idiots. Honestly, I think sometimes people like to troll to blow off some steam, or maybe they find fun in it, maybe some are just idiots. I just think if people are having a crappy time in the real world, they have pleasure in saying some silly comments on the internet. I never found it to be a big deal and I love to resolve it by having fun myself, I think that's honestly the best way to do it!

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 4

I had the same feeling long ago, my solution was simply stop playing Online games such as COD or FIFA, now i just play them either on split-screen-Couch multiplayer or in a LAN party with my friend, since I made that decision  my time spended on gaming has been way more enjoyable and I'm no longer pissed thinking about that douche on that TDM macht or that idiot that rage quitte making me losing my contracts on UT, as for boosting this page has always put me with really nice people, that were always willing to help and never quitte after getting their trophies, only problem with it is the people that do not show up at the given time, which is kind of annoying but what can you do...

Sorry about your luck. As is said above, be the host booster, get yours first. It's your due for setting up the boosting session. Have backups. Try to message them ahead of time. If they aren't responsive at all, it might be an indication of how they feel about their participation in the boosting session.

Ultimately, know that you're better than these people. They are the cretins who are likely sociopaths who no friends and families that force themselves to get through occasions with them. They'll never go away, they'll never get better. Someone else will appreciate and reciprocate you helping them boost. 

I never had problems with boosters but I remember 2 instances where the guy I was playing with was an utter idiot or the biggest peace of trolling trash I had ever seen.

1. Back when SCVI came out I was playing it online. Kilik being my main I used him the most. After one match this guy sends me a message telling me to be more honorable and play without Kilik. O.o That was my first time playing anything online on a console so I was surprised by how much stupid people can get.

2. Uncharted 2 had just come out. Just like most people I was amazed with it's multiplayer until I played my first RPG deathmatch. This one asshole on my team kept kill me and my team mates, after I had killed the said asshole I was banned for a short period of time because I killed a team mate. 

I usually don't have problems with people who "troll" or anything like that. I guess I'm just lucky. When it comes to boosting, I rarely get someone a trophy and they not return the favor. (Like you said, it's a two way street) I find boosting with people you have previously boosted with, is a better way to go because you guy's have more trust in each other. Not to say, that finding new people to boost with is a bad idea. But boosting with people you know will not ditch you is a plus in my book. 

it always good to try and find a good group of boosters to help u, I now have a good list of ppl on my friends list who all help each other out.

if I every come across someone who is selfish, doesn't have a clue what they are doing or doesn't listen then I will refuse to boost with the them and leave them out of any future sessions I host.

I'm also not as into online games as much as I used to be so I prefer to play team games or co-op games when going 4 trophies.

I just avoid playing online as much as possible. Unless it's with people I know.

When I have to play with randoms, and I have to make a session, I always make sure we either alternate doing whatever it is that needs to be done, so that if they do leave, everyone is at least very close. Or if that's not possible, I'll go first, and then go in the order of the people that joined the room.

I don't know, I usually host my sessions or hijack other people's sessions and let them clear what are my objectives and that they WILL BE DELETED after we are done. In case it's something like mutual boosting (at the same time, not turn based [take bioshock 2 or AC Brotherhood in example]) I leave as soon as I finish my part, because there will be other people to help you from that point on.

If it's something turn based (like getting wins), I return in the same ammount that I got it myself. If there is an objective for 50 and I need 5, I will boost 5, return 5 and leave.

The opposite works the same way, I refuse to boost games with people that have already completed the task themselves because I think that is a big waste of their time.

But some times I add people that are not very interested in boosting a game they signed up for or they are simply too busy with other game. I can understand that, so I delete them and add other people instead. I hate to have my time wasted and I hate to waste other people's time as well.

What I do to prevent myself from getting trolled is, I first look at their profiles whenever someone joins my boosting session, or I join someones session.

If the person has very few platinums or non, I usally avoid this person, because this shows me, that the person doesn´t take it serious enough.

Edited by Killua-ID
  • Like 1

Boosting is my last resort. For this very reason. When you need a group of 4-8 people or more, you're bound to find an asshat or two. It's just the way of the world. If they fuck it up for the whole group, they get tossed out... end of story. Then the search for a new person comes into play. My last boosting session was pretty good, most of the people involved were awesome... respectful, helpful. and went with the program... One had a timezone difference that made it difficult to help, another just simply never bothered to reply to my messages... We got it done though.... You get out what you put in.

As for online... well, that's much different than a boost... A boost is a mostly controlled environment, you control who interacts with you, who plays with you... When you're just playing a few matches of a game.. you open yourself up to the shit hole that is the multiplayer community. There are good people, out to just play... but the majority you'll face, are trollish, often drunk off their ass, dickheads. Mute is your best friend, laughter is the best medicine. Laugh off their stupid remarks... hell, if you've got a mic... laugh at them through it. They get even angrier when you laugh. and that makes me laugh more. 

• Like 1

I Remember boosting killzone 2 with some guy, I probably put around 5 hours in of just letting him kill me non stop so he could get enough XP to get top 1% trophy, when it was my turn he bounced and deleted me loool. At the time I wasn't laughing but eh it taught me a lesson...choose your friends wisely on psn. now I barely ever play a game that requires hours of boosting troohies -.-

What a tw*t! Hate people like them...

ZachBoardyHD.png

Edited by ZachBoardyHD