HAZE Remake?

Remilia Scarlet

For those of you who have no idea what HAZE is, it is a 2008 PlayStation 3 exclusive that was hyped as the "game that finally killed Halo". Alas, upon release it was met with mixed to very negative reception (although it is one of my favorite early PS3 games despite this). HAZE is unique in that unlike most other FPS games, you can use a system called Nectar (which is also an in-game drug and the driving force of the story) to slow down time and get a chain of kills. 

For those that played the game, whether or not you enjoyed it, would you like to see a PS4 remake? A game to fix the previous one's mistakes and redeem the HAZE IP? I certainly would. I liked HAZE and want Ubisoft to make the HAZE game they wanted made all along. I want HAZE to be given a second chance.

76471_front.jpg

I completely forgot about Haze. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing another one so long as they improve on everything. The ideas were promising, but they all just fell flat after a while. It says a lot when the most memorable thing was the jumpscare in the swamp. But I doubt Ubisoft will go for another one, especially now that they have Assassin's Creed to go on.

Don't know why people seem to overlook the actual developers, and give credit to the publisher for making games so often. But Ubisoft just published the game. It was developed by Free Radical, which is a company that was bought by Crytek, and then turned in Crytek UK. They mainly just did support work. Then, the majority of the staff was laid off, and the few left were picked up by Deep Silver.

The point is, the developer for this game doesn't exist anymore, so the likelihood of a reboot or a remake is almost zero. Especially considering it didn't sell well, and was met with largely negative reviews and feedback.

• Like 1

I picked this up for 3 bucks years ago. It was ... okay.

Not only does it not deserve a remake or rerelease, but fuck Free Radical. You waste a bunch of time and money for years and never actually release Battlefront 3? Screw you, blueballing bastards.

A sequel though, sure, I'd pick it up for 3 bucks. But a remake or HD redo, no thanks. Not unless it's 3 bucks.

I picked this up for 3 bucks years ago. It was ... okay.

Not only does it not deserve a remake or rerelease, but fuck Free Radical. You waste a bunch of time and money for years and never actually release Battlefront 3? Screw you, blueballing bastards.

A sequel though, sure, I'd pick it up for 3 bucks. But a remake or HD redo, no thanks. Not unless it's 3 bucks.

You do realize they were actually working on the Battlefront game? They even released footage. Free Radical died before they could finish developing the game.

One of the main things to remember about Haze was the Nectar enhancement was completely stripped from the player in the beginning of the game. Sure, you got to spend a chapter or two using it, but then you never touch it the rest of the game. The one redeeming quality the game had going for it and it wasn't even present in 90% of the campaign.

No, I don't think this title warrants a sequel nor a reboot. It's best left unmentioned.

Of all the games Free Radical made Haze is the one you want to see rebooted?!?!

I think id rather see Timesplitters given a new game than that piece of trash!

I'm not lying when I say that I honestly enjoyed this game. Sure, it had its faults, but I was able to look beyond those and see a game with a lot of potential if the right people picked it up and gave it a makeover. HAZE is one of those love it or hate it titles, and I loved it.

Vaguely remember Haze...was this the game whereby you could manipulate the terrain, lowering and raising it?   Or is that something else?   Regardless, I suppose any reboot/sequel should be judged on it's own merits, whether it was good or bad the first time...

I agree with Timesplitters, great franchise, MP was a blast and er, I want to brick some windows!  

However, I really wish Sony would either reboot or give us a sequel to Resistance.  :D

I never played Haze, guess back then I still trusted reviews too much. I would deffinately be interested in a remake. I always thought the characters looked really cool. I remember playing the demo and thinking it was pretty good. Never got the full game for some reason...

Vaguely remember Haze...was this the game whereby you could manipulate the terrain, lowering and raising it?   Or is that something else?   Regardless, I suppose any reboot/sequel should be judged on it's own merits, whether it was good or bad the first time...

I agree with Timesplitters, great franchise, MP was a blast and er, I want to brick some windows!  

However, I really wish Sony would either reboot or give us a sequel to Resistance.   :D

You are thinking of something completely different. However, I agree with you on Resistance! 

I never played Haze, guess back then I still trusted reviews too much. I would deffinately be interested in a remake. I always thought the characters looked really cool. I remember playing the demo and thinking it was pretty good. Never got the full game for some reason...

Judge a game by your own merits, not on what a PAID reviewer says. Half the time, the people reviewing the games have no idea what the heck they are talking about.

Edited by AnimeDreama
  • Like 1

You are thinking of something completely different. However, I agree with you on Resistance! 

Judge a game by your own merits, not on what a PAID reviewer says. Half the time, the people reviewing the games have no idea what the heck they are talking about.

Yeah I was, found it, anyone remember Fracture?

I thought this game was great, played through the campaign many times. dj_helyx is right though, you lost the use of the drug early on in the game which was disappointing. A remake would be good if they did it right, I'd definitely be interested. It's one of those early PS3 games I want to play again, along with Turok.

*snip*

I would like a reboot to correct the mistakes and game-play errors, so yes I would like a remake. The reason why the game failed and was never rebooted was due to the fact that it was an exclusive to a console that wasn't picking up until 2009-2010. The sales for the first week was 120,000 units or even below that. If they were to release a reboot now, no way would Ubi or Crytek release it on one platform. The reviews were a bit sketchy but certain things were true, the clunky game-play was fun but it was also sucky at the same time. 

Anyway, I want Timesplitters or Agent to come but we'll have to wait and see.

You do realize they were actually working on the Battlefront game? They even released footage. Free Radical died before they could finish developing the game.

I know. The footage was awesome. Then they stopped, and all I could find was insiders saying they basically spent 3 years with their thumbs up their asses wasting money. Which I'm fine with, it's like 90% of what I do, but if you're gonna start work on Battlefront, you'd damn better finish it. I love that game too much to just let that fly.

I'm not lying when I say that I honestly enjoyed this game. Sure, it had its faults, but I was able to look beyond those and see a game with a lot of potential if the right people picked it up and gave it a makeover. HAZE is one of those love it or hate it titles, and I loved it.

Im just biased against it because i loved timesplitters so much, and Haze was pretty much responsible for the demise of Free Radical, and with it any hope for anher Timesplitters :(

Don't know why people seem to overlook the actual developers, and give credit to the publisher for making games so often. But Ubisoft just published the game. It was developed by Free Radical, which is a company that was bought by Crytek, and then turned in Crytek UK. They mainly just did support work. Then, the majority of the staff was laid off, and the few left were picked up by Deep Silver.

The point is, the developer for this game doesn't exist anymore, so the likelihood of a reboot or a remake is almost zero. Especially considering it didn't sell well, and was met with largely negative reviews and feedback.

Everyone should just listen to this guy he's always bang on the money.

In addition to that whats the point of releasing a sequel/remake/remaster to a game that was received poorly, you have harder work for yourself than if you made a new IP as people will be like I hated the original.

There's absolutely no point in redoing this game, they're better off lifting everything from the game and just calling it something else completely different. Not a great example, but look how System Shock was reskinned into Bioshock, I'm not sure how well system shock sold, but bioshock did insanely well and that was essntially the same game (mechanics wise).

• Like 1