Games you disliked that everyone else likes

OnePieceDude

• 2 years later...

I think I have a skewed view on what a good game is. Name a game you thought was rubbish, despite it being revered by everyone else.

Red Dead Redemption II is mine.

It's possibly the most boring game I've ever played in my life. 55 hours online and 20 hours on the story. I will commit and finish it but aside from the graphics which are extremely impressive, it's just a terrible game.

Probably going to be super unpopular, but The Witcher 3 kinda pissed me off. I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say it's overall a bad game. It's definitely a fantastic RPG, but women are kinda treated horribly throughout the game. Like, Triss literally has no agency, even though she's meant to be a really powerful sorcerer, and Yennifer, while being super badass at some times, is needlessly sexualized at every opportunity. Also, the only character that codes as possibly queer is played off as a joke (they sell you clothes during one of the quests). There are some fantastic storylines in this game (the Red Baron questline was *chefs kiss*), but it's all undercut by misogyny for me. 

We have so many game-bashing threads.  Everyone is going to have an opinion that will probably be trolled.

For me, I loved GTAV, The Witcher 3, and so far enjoying Horizon.  Sure, there are games I didn't think should be game of the year, but I'm not going to post them here.

It's not supposed to be a game-bashing thread, I'm just more interested in why people find certain games that are held in high regard, not to their taste.

I agree with GTA V by the way. Mainly because I thought the story was lacking compared to previous GTA games and I didn't like the multiple endings. 

God of War, the original one, not the PS4 version that came out in 2018.  I dislike it because I think the controls are very clunky and the story was boring.  I fully admit that I'm incredibly picky about action RPGs because my favorite action RPG series has such fluid and smooth gameplay.  I also feel about the same way regarding Kingdom Hearts regarding the gameplay, but at least unlike God of War it has a somewhat engaging story.

Red Dead 2, the game is more preoccupied with making sure I see how pretty the environment is or watching the cinematics than it's worried about being an actual game. And you can feel exactly how scripted everything is cause the game insists that I play it 'correctly'. If I don't put the guy I hogtied in the jail quick enough, the game will do it for me. If I don't get off the horse quick enough the game will do it for me. I can't control the speed of my horse because I have to get to a certain section of the river before the game will let me lasso the guy floating in it. Can't make the horse run faster to lasso someone because I have to wait until the guy gets under the train tracks so that the guy that's scripted to walk along it afterwards can walk along it.

They should've just made a movie and called it a day. I'll probably never go back to it just for the amount of space it takes up on the PS4.

Styx: Master of Shadows

Seems to have a pretty good reputation, but to me it is nothing more than pure boredom.

Assassin’s Creed III

II, Brotherhood, Origins, Odyssey are all fantastic and I am looking forward to get Valhalla as well, but Assassin’s Creed III I had to quit after a few hours. 

Edited by Silverbackmethod

The Witcher 3 - Sorry people but I've tried so many times to get into the game and it just hasn't worked a lot of riding from point A to B and being under levelled half the time. I'm forcing myself through it one last time and slowly enjoying it but I still feel the game is way overhyped at this point in time 

Bloodborne - I feel I gave this game adequate play time getting past the 4th boss Vicar Amelia but I just got smashed constantly and that took the fun out of it. I usually enjoy hard games but when it takes me a few days to get past one boss then I have to draw the line

Everything made by Rockstar: Combat is too simplistic and exaggerated character traits get old fast. 

Spider-Man: Felt like it was more directed towards a much younger age demographic. Didn't enjoy the humor and that's what makes the game series what it is.

Resident Evil: I loved the campy horror of the original. Everything else (including 2), seemed to try and push for a more gritty tone and it lost what made it fun.

Honestly just pretend that I have every major action/sports/racing/fighting/platformer/shooter game series on here. They're all pretty boring in my eyes.

Edited by VigilantCrow

• 3 years later...

Horizon Zero Dawn, I wouldn't call disliking it, but I never got the hype surrounding it, yes a beautiful world with an unique tecnology vs nature point of view but the gameplay just never felt interesting to me.

• Like 1

In particular, I can't stand Fortnite. It's got a hostile gaming community full of players and most people only play it because it's free. Back when it was new, I had to delete several people off of my friends list because they wouldn't stop spamming me invites.

I also despise Call of Duty, it's been the same damn game over and over for years. Big reason why I haven't touched a game in that series since 2010. It's also the reason why so many games nowadays tack on unneccessary multiplayer in a feeble attempt to make a lot of money like they do.

Another one I really can't stand is Halo. When the first one came out, all the nerds out there were creaming their panties acting like they've never seen a video game before. All it is is bland repetitive environments with an extremely dull lead character. Despite that, too many people got caught up in the hype. EGM was so brainwashed back in the day that they did a 50+ page article about Halo 2. Their fanbase is also quite rabid too, so much that what I have to say next requires an additional paragraph. 

Years ago on the IMDB message boards, I actually got a death threat from some walking diaper stain for simply saying I don't like Halo. You've got to be truly mentally unstable if you're threatening another man's life over a video game. I also had a friend back in the day that was madly in love with Halo, he'd never shut up about it and annoyed everyone around him. Back in the day, he said he'd be getting the $150 special edition of Halo 2 complete with a lifesize Master Chief helmet. He then said he'd bring the helmet to my place, so I told him if he did I'd take a shit in it. He accused me of bluffing so I told him he was free to bring the helmet by and find out. He never did. I wasn't bluffing, I'd have totally shit in his Master Chief helmet. 🤣

Edited by Colin_Raleigh

Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Absolute dogshit game with no reason to have 100+ hours playtime.

I was a diehard AC fan until Origins, was a huge fan of the modern day storyline (which they already ruined after AC3), but Valhalla (and Odyssey to some degree) really killed everything this franchise was known for.

and vikings are super boring but that's just my opinion