Games you disliked that everyone else likes

OnePieceDude

Batman: Arkham Asylum: I fail to see where this game gets all of it's praise from, the visuals are all it really has going for it in my opinion. The plot is incredibly dull and fails to keep me interested for longer than 10 minutes, the combat is incredibly shallow and the rest of the gameplay is just tedious. After how disappointed I was in Arkham Asylum, I'll pass on the other Arkham games too.

Grand Theft Auto V: It just seemed so bland to me, an uninteresting plot, unappealing characters, tired gameplay, and then there's GTA Online, which was equally boring, hell, the only part of GTA Online I found interesting was character creation, after that, it got boring fast. It could be from enjoying the Saints Row games so much, but GTA just doesn't do it for me.

Call of Duty: I'm not one of those who instantly hates it BECAUSE it's Call of Duty, I just find them to be boring, the last one I enjoyed was Modern Warfare, but Modern Warfare 2 was so dull and I ended up returning it to the store the next day along with World at War, haven't touched a Call of Duty title since.

Ni No Kuni: HATED this game, it was immensely boring, gameplay was bland, the cast even more so (I'd have been tempted to throttle Drippy if he had a neck.), I fail to understand what people see in this game, it's one of the weakest JRPGs I've ever played, with a very unlikable protagonist to boot. I'm avoiding it's sequel like the plague, there's no way it'll be something I'll like.

Borderlands 2: Can't speak for the original, because I never played it, but I just found Borderlands 2 to be bizarre to the point where I lost interest in it, the plot made little to no sense at all (even after looking up the plot to the first game), characters were so strange that they were impossible to understand (With the exception of Claptrap, I wanted to dismantle that irritating bastard.), and gameplay felt weird. 

Final Fantasy IX: This is my least favourite Final Fantasy game to date, yes even below the XIII trilogy and X-2. I hated the designs for the entire cast, the plot was so boring that I stopped paying attention to it halfway through disc 1 and gave up on the game entirely not even 1/4 of the way through disc 2. Gameplay was it's good point, and it's only good point in my opinion, thankfully X was better (although I hated the Blitzball mini-game), hell even the somewhat disjointed plot of XIV is far better than that of IX to me.

Mortal Kombat (Entire series): This is more of a don't like it, but don't hate it either type of game, it's fun and all, but I think there's far better fighting games out there. Feels far too slow for me, even for characters who should possess faster reflexes than they do, I mean look at Shao Khan, and then look at how slow he swings that hammer of his. I'm in no rush to play the newest installment, but if I were to be given it, I would play it.

Resident Evil 4 and 5: I see these 2 games as the low point of the series, both had gameplay that did not match the game's pacing at all, especially in 5. Enemies could get away from your aim way too easily, the player moved way slower than virtually every enemy, and the whole unable to move and shoot simultaneously thing? That only worked in the preceding games due to the fixed camera angles and tank controls, it was a huge immersion killer, let's be serious for a second, who in their right mind would stand perfectly still to aim something like an assault rifle or shotgun while a horde is bearing down on them? I'll answer it, nobody, you'd have to be insane to do that. Then there was the plot for both games... oh god, so boring, so full of plot holes, and then in 5, what the hell did they do to Chris and Wesker!? They decided to throw any character development these 2 had out the window, and kill of a villain synonymous with the series. Thankfully 6 was an improvement (although a lot disagree there.), but 7 looks like a HUGE step backwards.

Street Fighter (Entire series): I personally find that Street Fighter has gone stale over the years, and even when it was at it's peak, it felt very meh to me. Balancing feels way off, character design is unappealing, plot is, well, uh... what plot? There doesn't seem to be one, character personalities are so shallow and predictable (M. Bison is the embodiment of your typical cartoon super-villain for god's sake!). and it's ridiculous how little has changed with this series over the years other than a visual upgrade, it's the Call of Duty of fighting games. I'll be steering clear of SFV after how tiresome SF4 was.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: This game had so much potential, but no, it was squandered, and resulted in this tiresome, half-assed Super Smash Bros. knockoff that was devoid of the fun that Super Smash Bros. has. What made this game so bad, apart from the inane plot, poor gameplay and bad online, the devs knew the game was unbalanced in favour of certain characters, and did nothing to fix this, Kratos in particular was especially OP. I pray there will never be a sequel to this game, not that it deserves one anyway.

DmC: Devil may Cry: Oh god, this game was just pure garbage from start to finish, poor visuals, unoriginal, tired and cliche plot, equally cliche characters and some of the worst gameplay I've ever seen. To think this game's "definitive edition" got outsold by a remastered version of a game that was originally released in 2007, that just shows people woke up to how badly executed this game was compared to the original quadrilogy. It also has one of the most unlikable protagonists I've ever seen, it's like Ninja Theory want people to hate their protagonists, I hated Nariko in Heavenly Sword (and hated Heavenly Sword in general for similar reasons to DmC, cliche plot, cliche characters and subpar gameplay.), and I absolutely loathed their rendition of Dante, he is nothing but a foul-mouthed, bad tempered, conceited punk who seems to love the word fuck for some reason, I actually hate him more than I hated Yaiba, and he's the reason I hated Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. I seriously hope these rumours of Devil May Cry 5 are true, so we'll have the original likable Dante again, and not this pretentious, foul-mouthed hipster asshole again.

I have more, but I just can't be bothered.

There's a lot of games out there I bought because everyone was giving great reviews and I thought were crap.

1.The Last of Us (not the only entry by Naughty Dog on this list)

2.GTA IV mobile phone needed to be put somewhere where the sun doesn't shine

3.GTA V utter balls (I don't even know why I bought it, luckily e-bay came to the rescue!)

4.Uncharted 4 A Thief's End, was this a game or a fucking narrative, and why couldn't I shoot Sam Drake (repeatedly, in the face)

5.Batman Arkham Shite. Batmobile bollocks of the highest order

6.Killzone Shadow Fall; should've done us a favour and fell onto it's sword. The worst Killzone title so far.

I'm not entirely convinced by Battlefield 1, probably because I played the turd that was Hardline, but we'll have to wait and see.

With the recent release of Skyrim Special Edition, I am reminded of how much I dislike that game, and that seems to be a very unpopular decision because almost everyone I see talk about the game is obsessed with it. The funny thing is that I actually used to love it too. I got the game back when it first came out back in 2011 and I too couldn't stop playing it. I did all of the quests, completed all of the DLC, made multiple characters and spent probably close to 200 hours playing the game in total. I don't know if it's because I've played many more RPGs since then that are vastly superior, but I went back to Skyrim years later on PS3 and found it sooooo boring. I started noticing flaws in the game that I never even considered before. The RPG elements of the game are so dumbed down, it made any depth the game had paper thin. The combat is atrocious, the story is extremely poor and the game got really repetitive. I mean it's all well and good saying you have hundreds of dungeons or whatever, but when each one of them look identical and are filled with the same enemies, what's the point of exploring them? For a bit of gold? Yeah, no thanks. I mean credit to Bethesda, they made an extremely accessible RPG that even a baby could play, but it's just a shame that came at the cost of stripping out any in-depth mechanics and systems that make RPGs so great. I'd much rather play Oblivion or Fallout New Vegas.

• Like 2

The Last of Us- Broken stealth mechanics, faulty shooting mechanics as is the case with all of naughty dogs games, story was a typical zombie story, and the ending was lazy, and the only thing useful about Ellie was that she stayed out of your way, she wasn't the most practical AI as opposed to somebody like Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite.

Modern Warfare 4 - Not a fan of COD in general or modern fps. This one plays exactly like the rest of them, while it does have very polished and tight mechanics, a few high points in the campaign as well. It just falls flat on it's face when it comes to design.

Borderlands 1 - The game looks bland, I've never been much a fan of Cell Shading especially when the color palette revolves around brown and grey. Gameplay was bland, it became very monotonous after a few hours and the guns did not live up to the hype.

I have never enjoyed a Rockstar game, having played all of the major releases since GTA 3.  I buy in every time because I feel like I have to be missing something that everyone else sees.  But I get 2-10 hours in and drop them every single time.  GTA 3-5, RDR, L.A. Noire - didn't like any of them.  I wish I did because you can see how well made they are, I just don't enjoy them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'll list all of mine even if they aren't PlayStation games....

Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts
Atelier Shallie
Steins;Gate
Mario Party (Any)
GTA
Super Smash Bros
Crash Bandicoot
Star Fox
Borderlands
Wii Bowling and Tennis
Street Fighter Series
Any Mario Kart after the original
Any Pokemon that's not Red or Blue (including Go)
MMOs in general, or games that have a strong online component

Probably more....

On 11/21/2016 at 6:51 PM, coldkillaaaaaaaa said:

The Last of Us- Broken stealth mechanics, faulty shooting mechanics as is the case with all of naughty dogs games, story was a typical zombie story, and the ending was lazy, and the only thing useful about Ellie was that she stayed out of your way, she wasn't the most practical AI as opposed to somebody like Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite.

Modern Warfare 4 - Not a fan of COD in general or modern fps. This one plays exactly like the rest of them, while it does have very polished and tight mechanics, a few high points in the campaign as well. It just falls flat on it's face when it comes to design.

Borderlands 1 - The game looks bland, I've never been much a fan of Cell Shading especially when the color palette revolves around brown and grey. Gameplay was bland, it became very monotonous after a few hours and the guns did not live up to the hype.

What's so broken about the stealth mechanics? the shooting isn't faulty if you're referring to the sway and general inaccuracy its a deliberate design choice as Joel isn't a soldier or anything of the sort, just someone trying to survive. The story stuck with certain conventions, which isn't a bad thing esp. when the execution is so sublime but it also subverted in certain instances and that's what made it so cool. The ending in particular, which you call lazy, was ballsy.

Ellie gave you health packs and helped out in combat sometimes; and her presence made exploration a lot more enjoyable. It would be fair to point out that Elizabeth is no different. She procures ammo, money, etc out of thin air for the player to use she doesn't actually find things for you.

CoD4 was a trope codifier rather than an imitator, tho.

19 hours ago, Xillia said:

I think that Bloodborne and the Souls series look and play like ass. And then you have people who have literally never played any game on Hard or higher, but praise Souls for its difficulty. Give me a break.

I can understand someone thinking DkS1 is ugly to some extent but..c'mon dawg, Bloodborne is bonkers good looking. Same with DS2&3.

People who plays Souls for the difficulty are messing out tbh. Even compared to traditionally hard games like DmC; Souls is different in a sense.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:00 AM, Lauren-Winters said:

I have never enjoyed a Rockstar game, having played all of the major releases since GTA 3.  I buy in every time because I feel like I have to be missing something that everyone else sees.  But I get 2-10 hours in and drop them every single time.  GTA 3-5, RDR, L.A. Noire - didn't like any of them.  I wish I did because you can see how well made they are, I just don't enjoy them.

I appreciate the fact that you dislike them but still notice how well made they are, because Rockstar does care about the quality of their games and does put a lot of care and work into their games.

Havn't I written something here alreay? I was sure I did, but there was no star in the index... huh... *shrugs*

Minecraft - Sorry, I seriously don't understand why everyone is liking that. It's not the gameplay that is the problem for me, I guess, because Dragon Quest Builders does look interesting for me. Maybe it's just that Minecraft has no plot. ...I'm there, but, for what reason? Why do I exist? What do I need to do? And why? And why the fuck "every" game needs zombies, spiders and other crap like that? damnit... After the plat I sold it and was like "FINALLY... omg <_<" and then it got suddenly all the DLCs for whatever reason... Hahahaha fuck me. xD 

GTA5 - I admit, I would replay it on PS4 (But first I need to do the heists trophies on PS3, because I can autopop them on PS4 then...), because... yeah... dunno... it's GTA after all... Even though GTA5 was imo pretty weak and way too focused on online. Los Santos itself was too small and wasn't giving the feelings like Los Santos in San Andreas for PS2 did. I mean, when you're eg driving around at the Vinewood sign... It felt soooo good back then... I can't say why. I have no idea. I guess it's because back then you had story missions on the country side and one or two at Mount Chilliad. And, I played the PS3 version of San Andreas months ago and it feels like the better game than GTA5. It feels like something is missing. *shrugs* Rumors say San Fierro and Las Venturas, the other two cities of San Andreas, are coming as PAID DLCs for GTA5, but just for online. Rockstar isn't going to make story stuff because people keep buying stupid GTA-Dollars for Online... meh... That is sad. I hope GTA6 isn't going too far into online, trophywise... But, I would say even GTA4 was better than GTA5. It just felt like "more". *is pointing a gun at Roman* DON'T EVEN FUCKING DARE TO ASK ME IF I WANT TO GO BOWLING!! >:c

PlayStation All-Stars - That game is so bad... I mean, it really IS soooo bad... Sorry... Basicly, you're punching someone long enough to fill your "'I-WIN'-Button", and then you simply instakill him/her. ...Yeah... And thats the only way to kill someone. ...wow... If people are interested in an Super Smash Bros clone better get "Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL" instead. ;) It's not that good like SSB, but it's something. Yes. Let's say "something". :) 

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

Red Dead Redemption - I'm so happy that other people have mentioned this game on this thread, in my opinion the most overrated game ever made. Gun play was awful, poor controls and stupid AI made for incredibly boring encounters. Looting is somehow broken yet pointless because it's extremely easy to complete the game without any money. Cutscenes are incredibly tedious to watch, they felt like long drawn out jokes that weren't funny at all, and John was only remotely likeable character. Landscapes look nice but character models are outright disgusting to look at. The game forced to follow slow NPC's to destinations and if you rode ahead of them you had to restart the mission, including a part where a man had literally just escaped. Not to mention the horrible cow herding missions. And the game doesn't even end properly, it's very clearly not finished when you spawn as Jack Marshton yet it gives you no direction on how to finish the last bit. I cannot understand how this game is so highly acclaimed.

Edited by ThroughTheIris56

• 4 weeks later...

Destiny - If it weren't for the raids, this game would be an absolute piece of junk. It's disgusting how players are locked out of content they purchased if they don't have the most recent DLC and the DLC prices for the amount of content received is ludicrous. This grindfest of a game should have never been made and I regret having purchased it

Overwatch - It was fun for a while, but the game isn't as complex as many people praise it to be

Battlefield 1 - It's fun, but just nowhere near as enjoyable as previous Battlefield titles

Dragon Age Origins - Just feels exhausting to play

Dishonoured - I love the gameplay, but the story, characters (except maybe Corvo) and the world just feel so bland

Every Call of Duty after the first Black Ops

Every Assassin's Creed except 2 and maybe Syndicate

Gears of War: Judgement - Well actually I'm not even sure most Gears fans enjoy this absolute disgrace to the franchise

Every Halo developed by 343 - The game has lost its magic ever since these guys took over

Resident Evil 4 - I enjoyed playing it, but I don't understand peoples obsession with it and their constant claims of it being a masterpiece. 

Didn't like both mgs v and TLoU...major žzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs...TLoU one of the worst yet...looks good but predictable story...lame gameplay...huddle around in the dark avoiding the same 5 types of enemies searching for $hit everywhere..."hey, I got a bullet"...*headshot*...nope, gone now...what the f**k is this shiv made of, the components of which I just spent hours collecting, that I can only kill one zombie?...cardboard?...guess I'll just keep tossing bricks and bottles..."hey, an automatic rifle...let the games begin...nope, story's over"...multiplayer: how long can you camp for?...just long enough to get these stupid journeys done...passed out so many times playing it...garbage...I like giraffes...thank God for them..such a graceful animal...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

- Any MMORPG/MOBA. I just can't get into them and those kinds of heavily competitive "multiplayer-focused" games, where the point just seems to be playing the same game over and over for months trying to get better against other human opponents. I mostly prefer singleplayer games. That's not to say I don't like multiplayer at all, I like stuff like Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Splatoon... but MMOs are not for me. I guess I just don't like focusing on one single game trying to improve competitively in only that... I prefer singleplayer challenges.

- Any FPS. I just don't like the gameplay much, plus the typical war settings and "dark and gritty" aesthetic doesn't appeal much to me.

- Dark Souls. Not enough of a masochist for that xD But really, I just don't like the "you WILL die many times and will have to slowly keep memorizing each tiny part as you probably die each time" type gameplay. Also not an appealing aesthetic for me.

- Pokémon Red/Blue. I'll say right away I don't have any nostalgia for those games - my first Pokémon game was Crystal and I didn't get to try Blue before many years later, after first having tried the Leaf Green remake (which fixed several of the problems with the original games). The games just haven't aged well and are terribly unbalanced, I appreciate how they started out the franchise way back but there just doesn't seem to be much reason to play these today (especially not when the remakes exists) unless you want to check out how it all started. Glitches were fun though :3

- Sports games. Not into sports, so yeah...

- "Realistic" racing games. I like stuff like Mario Kart, but more "realistic" ones that focus more on the "real" racing experience and won't let you do silly stuff... not into racing or cars, so no thanks.

On 12.1.2017 at 10:34 AM, Jenna said:

Metroid: Other M

Not exactly a liked game, most people, especially Metroid fans, seem to hate this... and for good reasons.

Edited by Zanreo

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness. Despite its mediocre reviews on media outlets as well as player complaints, people still think this is the best - or at the very least, not the worst - Star Ocean to date. Unskippable cutscenes, bad combat gameplay, bad enemy AI, the lack of a 'use last selected option', a rubbish progression system, an even worse name and so much more make it my least favourite. Meanwhile I find The Last Hope, everybody else's least favourite despite it being given fairly high or above average reviews, my favourite.

No Man's Sky. I've spent so long on this game - especially since the Foundation update. I haven't reached the centre of the galaxy yet but I'm still really enjoying it. Everybody else hates it though. Probably a monkey-see-monkey-do thing like most of Reddit.

Dragon Age: Origin and Mass Effect 1. To me, both of the games were rubbish. And for both franchises, I preferred them as they went. Both of their finale games were my favourite games I've played so far! Not many people like DA:I though and most others think the first games were the best. The same goes for ME3 but they only really hated that because it had a creative ending that didn't work work in the characters' favour - a "bad" ending. But it was a brilliant story and great climax to the trilogy.

Edited by GarryKE