More remasters on PS4

StrickenBiged

Edit: This thread was created to provide a bit of news and for discussion about remastering generally. If you'd just like to name some games that you'd like to see remastered, are you sure you don't want this thread instead? But hey, go nuts. It might be a free country where you are. ;0) 

SCEE boss Jim Ryan has hinted that there may be more remasters coming to PS4 in the future, according to Pushsquare

He said:

"We know that there are lots of PS4 owners that have either never played games before or used to have an Xbox or a Nintendo who have never had the chance to play something like the Uncharted trilogy, but it has to be a great game if we're going to go to the trouble of re-mastering. I can't talk specifically, but I think that it's very likely that there'll be more."

The comments are made in this video, skip to 24:00 minutes:

My own view is that more games being available on more platforms is not a bad thing. 

However, I do hope that they get on with new IP and games soon. 

For an interesting view on Remastering, see the below from Extra Credits. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

What else is there to remaster? I'm all for remasters of ps2 and ps1 games, we've ran out of good ps3 titles to remaster.

These would be more expensive, as entire game engines, polygons, audio, textures, etc etc would need updating. Last-gen -> PS4 is a lot easier as you just need to dial up the resolution to 1080p, and fiddle with the frame rate. And get around the whole PS3 cell structure etc. 

Yes Yes I might get my pong remaster at last 60 frames a second yay!!!

It was such a simple game, I bet you could re-create it in Unity over the weekend if you really wanted to.

After Bloodborne exceeded their already high expectations, a Demon's Souls remaster is pretty likely at this point.

It wasn't much of a success the first time, but if they market it as being from the same line of games as Dark Souls and Bloodborne then I'm sure it'll get a lot of attention now the series has grown.

• Like 3

This thread was created to provide a bit of news and for discussion about remastering generally. If you'd just like to name some games that you'd like to see remastered, are you sure you don't want this thread instead? But hey, go nuts. It might be a free country where you are. ;0) 

I'm fine with remasters existing, and in the case I've not played the game, I'd generally buy the remastered version (provided it's not ten times the price of the old one), however, I don't understand a lot of the complaints people have with the current trend of remasters. Most of the time, they're handled by outside studios so it doesn't stop the original game's makers from doing anything new (like how Sanzaru remastered the Sly trilogy while Sucker Punch kept working on inFamous) and no one is forcing you to buy the new version. I hate the defense of "no one is making you do it" most of the time, but it's pretty fitting here. If there's a market for people who want to buy a game twice, then why not sell them the game twice? Besides, if it's a game that's not ridiculously huge being remade, just the fact there's more copies out there and more ways for people to find the game, is a great thing.

While on the subject, one last gen game I really want to get the remaster treatment, is GTA IV. I'm a Vice City kid through and through, but I do love me some GTA IV, I still play it decently regularly, I enjoy it a lot more than GTA V personally.

I agree. I sold my copies of the Uncharted games once I learned of the remaster coming out - I too would like to play on the prettiest version available. Plus, there's no MP in those, so that's good!

I'm generally in favour of re-masters, as a consumer. The only thing that does concern me is publishers relying on them too much for revenue, as this bubble could burst at some point. 

• Like 2

At this rate most games on the ps3 will have remasters, some of the games don't really deserve it in my opinion (sleeping dogs) #makesmegotosleep

I'd like to play another timesplitters game though so if they remake that then i'll be happy

I'm generally in favour of re-masters, as a consumer. The only thing that does concern me is publishers relying on them too much for revenue, as this bubble could burst at some point. 

My thoughts exactly, and especially much so if they choose to remaster games that are notably expensive or difficult to find in this day and age.

Seems like we're getting a bunch of reboots too, for example DOOM, NFS, Hitman, Star Wars Battlefront etc.

Reboots can be great. I'm really looking forward to the new DOOM, personally. 

Taking the point from the EC video I embedded about older games that need remastering not getting them because of the expense -

I wonder how hard it would be to provide emulation of older games? Like, surely the PS4 could handle pretending to be a PS2 or a PS1 even if it can't pretend to be a PS3? Anyone know how hard emulation is and whether this would be impossible?

• Like 1

This thread was created to provide a bit of news and for discussion about remastering generally. If you'd just like to name some games that you'd like to see remastered, are you sure you don't want this thread instead? But hey, go nuts. It might be a free country where you are. ;0) 

I agree. I sold my copies of the Uncharted games once I learned of the remaster coming out - I too would like to play on the prettiest version available. Plus, there's no MP in those, so that's good!

No MP in Uncharted for PS4?! I might just finish 1 on my PS3 and wait to play the rest when I finally convert to PS4.

My thoughts exactly, and especially much so if they choose to remaster games that are notably expensive or difficult to find in this day and age.

On the notion of a bubble, this situation does not conform. Bubbles imply limited commodities mixed with hyper-inflation. Everyday there is a sizable influx of new gamers discovering video games for the first time. I haven't looked at costs lately, however, when PS3 came out costs of remastering a typical PS2 game for PS3 had a ROI of about 20-25k unit sales. With technology advancing as fast as it is and as studios spend more time getting familiar with programming on the PS4, the costs to remaster are reduced proportionally to the length of time to start the remaster.

Any studio that decides it's IP is popular enough to warrant spending the money on a PS4 remaster has certainly had their bean counters run the numbers. Existing IP (especially previously successful IP) is the least risky investment for a studio. It's almost guaranteed income. No need to worry about a bubble.

I dunno... If their goal is to allow new PS4 owners to play games that are like 4 years old, couldn't they just port them? It's not like they are unplayable now, unless you're really into pores or I'm missing something else.

Like, surely the PS4 could handle pretending to be a PS2 or a PS1 even if it can't pretend to be a PS3? Anyone know how hard emulation is and whether this would be impossible?

The PS4 could easily handle PS1 emulation and certainly most of the PS2 emulation. However, Sony isn't going to. They'd rather sell you the game digitally again.

Sony is completely focused on the future at this point. As a company they've charged PlayStation with making sure revenue keeps coming in. Investing R&D dollars into games Sony won't make money on again is not going to happen. I really wish Sony was still hemorrhaging cash and could pour boatloads of cash into things like the Vita and BC on the PS4, but as a company, they've got to make some pretty stingy decisions right now. 

• Like 2

I wonder how hard it would be to provide emulation of older games? Like, surely the PS4 could handle pretending to be a PS2 or a PS1 even if it can't pretend to be a PS3? Anyone know how hard emulation is and whether this would be impossible?

Well the PS3 also had PS One and PS2 games available, guess its possible on PS4 too.

At this rate most games on the ps3 will have remasters, some of the games don't really deserve it in my opinion (sleeping dogs) #makesmegotosleep

I'd like to play another timesplitters game though so if they remake that then i'll be happy

I would love to see a new TimeSplitter game. I am surprised with all the FPS out that no one thought to either reboot or remaster it.