More remasters on PS4

StrickenBiged

This will take care of itself in the market.  If people buy them then why not make them?  I understand that some want new games and have already played the premasters (you heard it here first) but there are new gamers made every day that have never had the chance and don't have the hardware.

I've got a bunch of games on PS3 that will likely be remastered before I play them (some already have, others are rumoured).  Myself, I'll probably play them on my PS3 if it is still passing electrons, otherwise I'll be glad to try them on the 4, or 5.

No MP in Uncharted for PS4?! I might just finish 1 on my PS3 and wait to play the rest when I finally convert to PS4.

On the notion of a bubble, this situation does not conform. Bubbles imply limited commodities mixed with hyper-inflation. Everyday there is a sizable influx of new gamers discovering video games for the first time. I haven't looked at costs lately, however, when PS3 came out costs of remastering a typical PS2 game for PS3 had a ROI of about 20-25k unit sales. With technology advancing as fast as it is and as studios spend more time getting familiar with programming on the PS4, the costs to remaster are reduced proportionally to the length of time to start the remaster.

Any studio that decides it's IP is popular enough to warrant spending the money on a PS4 remaster has certainly had their bean counters run the numbers. Existing IP (especially previously successful IP) is the least risky investment for a studio. It's almost guaranteed income. No need to worry about a bubble.

I was speaking loosely. But maybe gamer's patience with remastered games is a limited commodity? Who knows?

Actually I like this "trend". I had no PS2 and I switched from XBox360 to PS3 in September 2013, means I joined very late. I had Sly4 bundled and it was a really enjoyable game. I wanted to play the first three games and I got them, for PS3. Im going to start R&C in some months.

Because I joined PS3 very late I missed probably many great PS3 games. ... I would play Uncharted eg, it looks very interesting. But it has many DLCs and way too much multiplayer. I really dislike multiplayer. (never will get GTA5 plat T^T) And now, it comes for PS4! Complete! And as a 100% singleplayer experience! SOLD!

For me its okay ^_^

I just dont get why NFS is rebooting. Sure MostWanted2012 wasnt that awesome MostWanted2005 (probably the best NFS ever, and hey im into NFS since NFS3... and on PC it even had no rubberband-AI!) was, but actually I enjoyed it and I enjoyed Rivals and even Undercover too. Just everything else after MostWanted2005 wasnt that good imo.

The PS4 could easily handle PS1 emulation and certainly most of the PS2 emulation. However, Sony isn't going to. They'd rather sell you the game digitally again.

Sony is completely focused on the future at this point. As a company they've charged PlayStation with making sure revenue keeps coming in. Investing R&D dollars into games Sony won't make money on again is not going to happen. I really wish Sony was still hemorrhaging cash and could pour boatloads of cash into things like the Vita and BC on the PS4, but as a company, they've got to make some pretty stingy decisions right now. 

Hopefully the marketing XBOne got from announcing emulated BC will get them to change their tune, but I agree that it all comes down to £££/$$$ and right now the XBOne is behind and needs to make that happen to promote sales. 

Again, it comes down to $$$ but surely they could, in theory, upload all PS3 games to PSNow then the PS4 would recognise a PS3 disc and allow you access it via PSNow? Hell, they could make it a PS+ exclusive feature. Will they do it? Nope, because that's a helluva server load, expense and time sink. 

I just dont get why NFS is rebooting. Sure MostWanted2012 wasnt that awesome MostWanted2005 (probably the best NFS ever, and hey im into NFS since NFS3... and on PC it even had no rubberband-AI!) was, but actually I enjoyed it and I enjoyed Rivals and even Undercover too. Just everything else after MostWanted2005 wasnt that good imo.

Most Wanted 2005 was awesome. My first 360 game, and I was like  :D the whole way through. The cop chases were great fun.

What else is there to remaster? I'm all for remasters of ps2 and ps1 games, we've ran out of good ps3 titles to remaster.

There are loads of good PS3 titles which haven't been remastered.

- Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix

- Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince

- The Ezio Trilogy

- MiNi NiNJAS

- Mirror's Edge

- Prince of Persia

- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

- Rayman Origins

- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

- SONIC UNLEASHED

- Tomb Raider: Underworld

- Velocity Ultra (although that was originally PSV)

Do these need remastering? No, definitely not. But how many games that have been remastered actually needed to be? I'm perfectly OK with remasters - I've bought a few despite having the original so I could plat them again.

I would love a compilation of remastered First Gen PS3 games that never had trophies to now have trophies. Games like Heavenly Sword, Valkyria Chronicles, Civilization:Revolution, Conan, Devil May Cry 4...I would pay more than the standard release price for something like that.

I only dislike remasters of last gen games. I understand why people like and support remasters, but really? God of War 3 remastered? Uncharted The Nathan Drake collection? These are obvious cash-grabs. 

i believe Uncharted, god of war and TLOU remasters are aimed more toward playstation newbie's. those who was on Xbox 360 and never got a playstation 3 last gen, but when the ps4 came out thousand of them jump ship into playstation boat waiting for those amazing Sony exclusives though, Sony welcome them even better that " Now You Can Even Enjoy Those Bad Ass Exclusive you missed last gen on your shiny PS4! "

yes! they still may consider been a cash grab to some, but you know what real cash grab is?

Tomb Raider, Dishonored, a Mass Effect remaster collection, GTAV which billion of people already played on the original platforms and PC til they got bored of them. 

My only gripe with remasters is something I've said before...too often they don't represent value.   I don't find the 'it's for new gamers, new PS4 adopters' etc... arguments to be particularly strong ones, that's a limited demographic, with the vast majority of any remasters target consumers being established gamers, and for PS4, long term PS users.  There always will be buyers from the 'new' camp, but I have to suspect most of the sales are from gamers that have already played these games previous gen, and therefore any remaster package has to be an attractive proposition, otherwise said gamers would be as well firing up the old gen console or even renting from Now.   I have bought remasters, but some are quite frustrating regarding what is, or more importantly isn't, included, and the pricing of some leaves a lot to be desired.

Take these two currently available for pre-order:

Dishonoured (with all dlc) for £15 is fantastic, albeit the pricing might have something to do with it already being an IGC game...possibly.   Then we have Darksiders 2 for £23...yet again with too many remasters...why no Darksiders 1?   This should have been D 1&2 for say £25/30, not another bit part of a franchise!

As I've said before, if you want me to re-buy old gen games that have had a makeover, then make it worthwhile, and stop with the frustrating cash grabs.

There are an awful lot of games/franchises that could be candidates for some current gen polish, FEAR 1-3 would be a good package, The Darkness 1&2, Dead Space 1-3 (throw in Extraction, Ignition and the dlcs)...whatever, just stop with the nonsense, the HD collections did a better job last gen!

That one quote is funny  considering Protoype and Protoype 2 got remastered on PS4.

OT: Games I would want to see remastered are:

- inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2 (Collection)

- Resistance, Resistance 2, Resistance 3 (Collection)

- Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Dead Space 3 (Collection)

- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: World at World (best if this was treated as a Collection instead of yearly apart and separate remasters)

- Burnout Paradise (single game remaster)

- Modnation Racers (single game remaster)

- (Let's not forget) Jak and Daxter Collection WITH Jak X: Combat Racing (Collection)

These would be some AMAZING AS HELL remasters, especially the Resistance trilogy, those two Call of Duty games, Burnout Paradise, and Modnation Racers.

THIS... still irritated that they didn't remaster for PS3

Probably because it wasn't as well received as their previous games. Not saying it wouldn't be good though. 

Remasters that are only a few years old are pointless. More time should be spent in remastering PS1 & 2 games as some of those are hard to find or are often expensive. 

I'm OK with remasters so far. However, it would be nice to see some remasters of PS1 and PS2 games rather than late PS3 games. Capcom did a good job this year with RE1 HD Remaster and Nintendo too with the Majora's Mask 3D Remaster. One PS3 game I would love to see remastered is Valkyriaa Chronicles since I haven't had the chance if playing it.

• Like 2