National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

The Buffalo Bills are getting Stefan Diggs from the Vikings https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28914153/source-bills-acquire-wr-stefon-diggs-vikings-4-draft-picks

Jimmy Graham on the move again this time to the Bears https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28913504/source-jimmy-graham-goes-chicago-2-years-16m

The Las Vegas Raiders are getting Marcus Mariota https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-agree-to-contract-with-former-titans-quarterback-marcus-mariota-per-report/

The Miami Dolphins made some big moves with the signing of these players Byron JonesShaq Lawson and Kyle Van Noy.

The Houston Texans found there Deandre Hopkins replacement https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/randall-cobb-signs-three-year-contract-with-texans-on-the-same-day-they-traded-deandre-hopkins-per-report/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Conker said:

As a Viking fan, I applaud this move. Best to gnaw off the infection before letting it spread.  Diggs was a disappointment last year. Multiple drops/ fumbles. Three of Cousins' INTs were bobbles by Diggs. But his demeanor on the field and sideline were a distraction at the least, and a possible splintering of the locker room. 

Great to trade him now while he has value before he gets to be a complete cancer, like Antonio Brown. Well, Brown is in another stratosphere of egomania compared to everyone else, but Diggs was already going into this season disgruntled and the situation was only going to get worse.

He reminds me of another Stephon in Minnesota. Marbury was upset his buddy Kevin Garnett was making more money than him, completely ignoring the fact that the Twolves couldn't offer him more bc of the new NBA bargaining agreement signed after the strike. 

See ya Stefon! If you didn't like your QB in Minnesota, enjoy watching Josh Allen doing more running than passing. And if you didn't like the snow in Minnesota, wait until you find out what the term "lake effect" means in Buffalo.  ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

As a Viking fan, I applaud this move. Best to gnaw off the infection before letting it spread.  Diggs was a disappointment last year. Multiple drops/ fumbles. Three of Cousins' INTs were bobbles by Diggs. But his demeanor on the field and sideline were a distraction at the least, and a possible splintering of the locker room. 

Great to trade him now while he has value before he gets to be a complete cancer, like Antonio Brown. Well, Brown is in another stratosphere of egomania compared to everyone else, but Diggs was already going into this season disgruntled and the situation was only going to get worse.

He reminds me of another Stephon in Minnesota. Marbury was upset his buddy Kevin Garnett was making more money than him, completely ignoring the fact that the Twolves couldn't offer him more bc of the new NBA bargaining agreement signed after the strike. 

See ya Stefon! If you didn't like your QB in Minnesota, enjoy watching Josh Allen doing more running than passing. And if you didn't like the snow in Minnesota, wait until you find out what the term "lake effect" means in Buffalo.  ;)

I am SO glad I got a Keenum jersey that Christmas instead of Diggs. (Hey, and now that Case is with the Browns, I can wear it proudly.)

The only problem with him ending up in Buffalo is that I sorta kinda like that team, and I usually listen to their talk radio on the way to work. But they got absolutely fleeced by the Vikings. I'll take a healthy Thielen and an upright Cousins (assuming they're going to use those picks to shore up the O-line) over a diva like Diggs any day.

Don't send Teddy to the Bears! ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I am SO glad I got a Keenum jersey that Christmas instead of Diggs. (Hey, and now that Case is with the Browns, I can wear it proudly.)

The only problem with him ending up in Buffalo is that I sorta kinda like that team, and I usually listen to their talk radio on the way to work. But they got absolutely fleeced by the Vikings. I'll take a healthy Thielen and an upright Cousins (assuming they're going to use those picks to shore up the O-line) over a diva like Diggs any day.

Don't send Teddy to the Bears! 1f631.png

Good News Teddy isn’t going to the Bears, he’s going to Carolina https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28916632/panthers-give-teddy-bridgewater-63m-deal-cam-newton-unhappy

Phillip Rivers looks like he’s going to the Colts https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28917715/philip-rivers-join-colts-1-year-deal-source-says

2 one Team only players are finally gonna be going elsewhere, Jason Witten to the Raiders and Tom Brady looks like he’s going to the Bucs https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28917768/sources-jason-witten-agrees-1-year-deal-raiders

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28918640/qb-tom-brady-expected-sign-buccaneers-sources-say

7 hours ago, majob said:

So not only is the world falling to pieces but the NFL is as well. I've never seen so many ridiculous moves all at once.

Sure you have.  It's called NFL Free Agency.  And it happens.  Every.  Single.  Year.

As for me?  I'm okay with my new General Manager largely sitting out Free Agency right now.  He's made some purchases for the Offensive Line, but without spending huge amounts of guaranteed money or years, so he'll be able to wriggle out of those deals in a year or two if they don't work out.  And that means he doesn't have to reach for line help with the 11th pick.

Is it as sexy as all these teams making splashy moves, even if they're as idiotic as Houston and Tampa?  No.  But I've had enough of winning Free Agency only to watch my team do everything but win when it counts for real in the standings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, replete_disguise said:

4 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

$25 million?!? Did the Colts GM even watch Charger games last year??? 

Lets be fair, most of the Chargers problems last year were not the fault of Rivers and $25 mil is chump change for a veteran qb these days.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Even if Philip Rivers was the source of a lot of San Diego's problems, $25 million doesn't buy anywhere near as much as it used to in the NFL.  The salary cap has simply risen too high.

I like Indy's gamble on Philip Rivers a lot more than Tampa's gamble on Tom Brady.  The AFC South is wide-open, because we have no idea if Ryan Tannehill is going to turn back into a pumpkin and Houston is a tire fire with all the trades they've made in the last 12 months.  The NFC South is only an open opportunity for Tampa if Drew Brees turns into a pumpkin and Tom Brady finds the Fountain of Youth that Ponce de Leon was searching for five centuries back.

The Buccaneers couldn't bring back Jameis Winston and have any serious consideration of contention, but Tom Brady isn't going to push them that much closer to a Super Bowl and Tampa will be looking for another quarterback very soon.

8 hours ago, majob said:

Lets be fair, most of the Chargers problems last year were not the fault of Rivers and $25 mil is chump change for a veteran qb these days.

I gotta disagree. I saw 3-4 Charger games last year and Rivers made some terrible decisions. It's like he forgot what a safety is. He kept floating passes right down the middle for easy INTs. 

As someone who has watched veteran QBs come in to save the day (Jim McMahon, Jeff George, Donovan McNabb), I don't think this move will work for Indy. 

12 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

$25 million?!? Did the Colts GM even watch Charger games last year??? 

At least it is just one year.  Teddy Bridgewater somehow fleeced $63 M.  As a Vikings fan, you are aware he was not very serviceable even in his “prime”.

But I agree Rivers is on his last legs.  He always made questionable decisions and lost more games on the final drive than perhaps any QB in memory.  And it is getting worse as he ages.

Edited by djb5f

13 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Just to give y'all a heads up:

NFL GamePass is now FREE until May 31st, 2020. So go sign up and watch your favorite teams unlimited times!! 

watch them do what?  Are you referring to games from last season?

On 3/16/2020 at 0:43 PM, skidmarkgn said:

Texans... why?

I grew up in Northern CA as a 49ers fan, but I've been in Houston almost 15 years now. This deal hurt me on so many levels. 

If it makes anyone feel better, EVERYONE here, from media, to fans, absolutely hated this move, and have been screaming for BOB to be removed for a long time even before this. The problem is we have an absentee owner who has shown zero interest in the team at all. 

Rams released Gurley. Smart move. Those knees are broken and he's gonna need to be on a pitch count wherever he goes. Anywhere that needs a spell back could use him. Put him in Arizona behind Kenyan Drake and give Murray even more weapons!

19 hours ago, taterman said:

Rams released Gurley. Smart move. Those knees are broken and he's gonna need to be on a pitch count wherever he goes. Anywhere that needs a spell back could use him. Put him in Arizona behind Kenyan Drake and give Murray even more weapons!

The Rams did this to themselves.  They gave out a bunch of pricy extensions to the wrong guys, and the economics caught up to them.  That they've traded away their 1st round picks from now until the end of time isn't helping.

This is why I occasionally opine in these spaces that it's impossible to calculate a team's window of opportunity, that the team that looks like they're "good and young" isn't a sure bet by any stretch of the imagination.  Because these Rams show how quickly things can implode.

2 hours ago, majob said:

East is still a bastion of mediocrity from where I'm sitting

Are you sure about that?  ?  I think "bastion of mediocrity" might be generous, because I see something close(r) to "dumpster fire".  Buffalo may or may not be good.  The Patriots are finally due for their fall.  Miami spent much of last season tanking, spent crazy money this off-season -- not well in my opinion -- and still has no Quarterback.  And if I can count on the Jets for anything, it's that they're going to disappoint me no matter how low I set my expectations.