National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

24 minutes ago, majob said:

The legal system has never been known for its speed

I know.

2 hours ago, S_Young4 said:

No disagreement there. I'm honestly going to have a hard time supporting the Browns while he's on the roster, but I shouldn't allow one scumbag to ruin it for everyone else.

Well, their ownership isn’t exactly known for brilliant decision making. 

8 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Scumbag got off too easy. The NFL has learned nothing from their past mistakes.

There's only so much the NFL can really do, because this sort of disciplinary process is spelled out in the CBA.  Were the League to step beyond those boundaries, you'd end up with a lawsuit in federal court, likely with the NFLPA going "court shopping" to find a judge who would rule the way they want to.  Which would likely drag out the process an extraordinary amount, all while an injunction is in effect to prohibit the NFL from suspending Watson while things resolve.

It's not a League problem.  It's not even an NFLPA problem, because it's their job to stand up and defend Deshaun Watson even if the guy is a reprobate who shouldn't be in polite society, let alone worshipped and extremely well compensated by it.  It's a "system" problem contained within the CBA that both sides negotiate and that prevents serious discipline from being levied on this matter.  Especially because the criminal justice system chose not to take it up and because the civil accusers chose to settle rather than go to trial.  The NFL Commissioner has broad powers under the "good of the game" clauses, but they aren't absolute.

Personally, I'm surprised the NFL managed to nudge the figure above "six games" through this appeals process.  Mildly pleased, because I view eleven as better than six, even as I'm disappointed that Deshaun Watson will be permitted to play at all this season.

• Like 1

Stupid son of a bitch gave a half ass apology, then continues to say he did nothing wrong. It just grinds my gears. Players have been suspended the whole year for less.

Still, when something like this happens again, I have zero faith the right thing will be done. 

Edited by MidnightDragon

1 hour ago, Conker said:

Legendary HOF and Superbowl 4 winning QB for the Kansas City Chiefs, Len Dawson has died https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34451383/hall-fame-qb-len-dawson-led-kansas-city-chiefs-super-bowl-iv-win-dies-age-87

I met him some years back (13 or so). A Menards was opening in Manhattan, Kansas, and they brought some "local" legends in to sign autographs. On the day Len Dawson was there, it was raining furiously, and I was in the back of the line. When I got up there, he signed three things for me, and then we sat and talked for around 15 minutes.

Pretty nice guy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I met him some years back (13 or so). A Menards was opening in Manhattan, Kansas, and they brought some "local" legends in to sign autographs. On the day Len Dawson was there, it was raining furiously, and I was in the back of the line. When I got up there, he signed three things for me, and then we sat and talked for around 15 minutes.

Pretty nice guy.

I remember him on HBO’s NFL show in the 80s with Nick Buoniconti.  Can’t recall the name, but it was one of the first exclusive shows on pro football during the week. And their show was magnificent compared to all the 24/7 talking airheads on 15 sports channels that you can watch these days. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Get it Bills!!  I'm not carrying any illusions about the West being anything other than the Ram's' division (although 49ers maybe if their QB pans out) but seeing them come crashing down to Earth at least for one night is nice.  Now if only somehow Seattle can pull of a miracle and spoil Russ's homecoming.

• Like 1

Bills played great and made Rams look awful, though lots of sloppyness wiuth lots of turnovers, honestly Bills without them easily could've had game won at ht they dominated that much, Rams now gotta respond at home next week against the Falcons

21 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Get it Bills!!  I'm not carrying any illusions about the West being anything other than the Ram's' division (although 49ers maybe if their QB pans out) but seeing them come crashing down to Earth at least for one night is nice.  Now if only somehow Seattle can pull of a miracle and spoil Russ's homecoming.

No city can fill a stadium with bandwagon jumpers quite like Los Angeles. 

Well 1st Sunday down, some things

Patriots offense was sluggish and non existent, Dolphins looked good offensievly and on defense, no tds but Tyreek Hill still looks had a nice Dolphins debut

Falcons being Falcons, Blowing a 16 point 4th qtr lead to lose, some things don't change.... on Saints side credit to Winston for a stellar 4th qtr after looking dreadful for 3 in leading the comeback win

Chiefs looked like the best team absolutely crushing the Cardinals

Jets look like the same and Lamar did Lamar things though not like he had to do much when you play the Jets xD 

Chargers look great and Herbert was great, Raiders gotta cut the turnovers down

Packers look lie week 1 last season except this time who does Rodgers throw to, oveethrows,miscues and a easy td dropped, Rodgers must love it..

Davis Mills looked great for the Texans yet they blew a 17 point lead only to tie, Colts with so much invested gotta be dissapointed with there play even if got a tie

Lions showed a lot of promising signs, to only lose by 3 to the Eagles who many rate highly

Trey Lance was poor in the yet in Chicago, Fields was good enough when needed to be for Bears to start 1-0

Giants finally start 1-0 again with a comeback upset win over the Titans, is this the start of something much better?

Bengals o-line is a mess still, Burow was poor early and yet still did enough to almost win it and we know see why its important to have a good long snapper

Browns looked fine in game 1 without Watson, there rookie kicker looks ready, espcially after his clutch game winner

Panthers lost close one, Mayfield after awful first half finally clicked and showed some good signs in there almost win

P.s did anyone know you couldn't dry the ball as its a penalty? obviously the Bears didn't xD the NFL always showing us new things 

Bucs and Cowboys played great defense, only 1 showed any offense that being the Bucs, yet to get only 1 td isn't great

and for the Cowboys what else can go wrong, offense was garbage and got 1 field goal and never looked close to doing anything to now having to hand reings to Cooper Rush after Dak Prescott's injury that will sideline him 6-8 weeks. and doesn't get easier with the Bengals next where the loser is 0-2 

Edited by Conker

So, I'm starting to lose faith that Dak Prescott can hold up in the NFL. Further, he still makes some pretty poor decisions. The 'Boys D worked exceedingly hard in the first half to overcome multiple mistakes by the O, and for what?

We are approaching 30 years since the Cowboys were last in the Super Bowl. God - I feel old.

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

And the award for worst week 1 of 2022 goes too... the Cowboys?

That was the worst performance by a Dallas O-line that I have seen in decades. And Tony Pollard should never be in on a passing down. A cardboard cut-out can pick up the blitz better than him. 

Edited by PerryToxteth

11 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

So, I'm starting to lose faith that Dak Prescott can hold up in the NFL. Further, he still makes some pretty poor decisions. The 'Boys D worked exceedingly hard in the first half to overcome multiple mistakes by the O, and for what?

We are approaching 30 years since the Cowboys were last in the Super Bowl. God - I feel old.

I almost believe you could have written that exact same piece of prose about the Jets with minimal substitutions.  Change the name of the team, change the name of the quarterback, change "30" to "55", and you probably described the Jets and Opening Day.

And don't be fooled by Joe Flacco's optically pleasing passing numbers.  The offense didn't do a whole lot when the game was competitive, and they did even less between the time they gave up on the running game for no particular reason and when Baltimore took a 3TD lead and started playing "prevent" defense.  And even then the Jets did everything in their power to not score a TD and nearly succeeded in the effort.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Conker said:

Geno Smith looked great as Seahawks hang on by 1, But Seriorsly what the Fuck was that clock management by Hackett letting clock run down for a 64yrd FG instead of trusting the guy your team invested big in???

Not exactly sure but damn, that kick so narrowly missed.  Pretty sure it was long enough.

Seattle alone in 1st place for now.

1 hour ago, Conker said:

Geno Smith looked great for a half as Seahawks hang on by 1, But Seriorsly what the Fuck was that clock management by Hackett letting clock run down for a 64yrd FG instead of trusting the guy your team invested big in???

Fixed it for you ?  The goose egg Seattle's put up in the 2nd half was frustrating, and looked a lot more like what everyone was expecting out of a Geno lead offense.  Denver also stepped on their own dick the whole game.  When your opponent has a hundred billion yards in penalties and fumbles on the 1 yard line twice, only winning by 1 definitely raises some concerns.  Or at least it would if there were any expectations, lol.  And yeah, Denver's coaches sent a pretty bad message at the end of that one. 

• Like 1