National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

When it comes to the AFC I'm a Bills fan but, well done Jets.  Sauce was a guy I was REALLY hoping would fall far enough in the draft for Seattle to pick up (although Woolen is sure looking like a 1B to Sauce's 1A) and it looks like for good reason, dude's living up to the hype. 

Now, NFC, Seattle... what the hell is this!!  I'm gonna go ahead and eat a pile of crow because I've been championing for them to move on from Carroll and embrace Russ for a few years now.  Luckily someone else is the decision maker.  Seattle looks young and hungry again.  This rookie class is something else and Geno's experiencing a comeback player of the year with an MVP nod or two kind of season.  When I look at the players for Seattle compared to say, their opponent yesterday (the Cardinals) it really show how together these guys are.  Over the past couple of weeks Murray;s been on the sidelines getting in his coaches face and yesterday he was shown getting in Hopkins face, who looked like he was doing all he could to not lay the little pecker out.  Video game clauses in contracts, open disfunction on the field and constant mistakes killing any momentum they tend to gain.  Then there's Seattle, when Smith threw the pick-6 yesterday I immediately had a "that's a wrap" feeling because the past few years watching this team have trained me to.  It didn't matter though.  Geno and the offense got the ball back and immediately went right down the field and scored.  No one sulked, no one screamed, they just picked each other up and moved on.  I still don't have SB expectations for this year but the future certainly feels pretty bright.

• Like 1

Is it wrong that I so thoroughly enjoy watching the Rodgers fail this year? I don't think there's a player I've grown so distasteful of so quickly in years. But between his primadonna act when the Packers considered drafting a QB, to his vaccine nonsense, to his whining after another early playoff exit, I've just grown to hate the guy. It doesn't help that he is in so many of those God-awful State Farm commercials (though I don't see his all that often nowadays).

And that damn haircut. I just love it. That is to say, I love watching it thrash around on the sideline as Rodgers mopes after another redzone interception.

Also, kudos again to the Jets. Now, if they can only get over their fear of Patriots. 

Bills are 6-2, and I still think they're the best team in the league. Plus, screw Philadelphia. As a Braves fan, I have a natural hatred for the Phillies (congrats on your WS failure!), and though I have a soft spot for Jalen Hurts...I can't do it.

Do I need to start considering the Vikings as a contender? Nah.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Is it wrong that I so thoroughly enjoy watching the Rodgers fail this year? I don't think there's a player I've grown so distasteful of so quickly in years. But between his primadonna act when the Packers considered drafting a QB, to his vaccine nonsense, to his whining after another early playoff exit, I've just grown to hate the guy. It doesn't help that he is in so many of those God-awful State Farm commercials (though I don't see his all that often nowadays).

And that damn haircut. I just love it. That is to say, I love watching it thrash around on the sideline as Rodgers mopes after another redzone interception.

Also, kudos again to the Jets. Now, if they can only get over their fear of Patriots. 

Bills are 6-2, and I still think they're the best team in the league. Plus, screw Philadelphia. As a Braves fan, I have a natural hatred for the Phillies (congrats on your WS failure!), and though I have a soft spot for Jalen Hurts...I can't do it.

It has been incredibly satisfying watching him do horribly this year

• Like 1

6 hours ago, djb5f said:

In a curious hire, they hired ESPN analyst Jeff Saturday as the interim coach. 

It's curious to me because he has no meaningful coaching experience that I know of.  But he was a longtime Colt and teams can frequently buy themselves some goodwill by repatriating fan favorites.

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

When it comes to the AFC I'm a Bills fan but, well done Jets.  Sauce was a guy I was REALLY hoping would fall far enough in the draft for Seattle to pick up (although Woolen is sure looking like a 1B to Sauce's 1A) and it looks like for good reason, dude's living up to the hype.

He's been very good, but that goes without saying for anybody who has been paying attention this season.  But it has also helped tremendously that the Jets have ex-Seahawk D.J. Reed across from him; Reed has also been terrific this season.

And is it too soon to ask if Jets-Seahawks on New Year's Day is perhaps the most unexpected late-season game that could mean a huge amount to both sides and the rest of the playoff picture?  At least based on preseason expectations?

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I guess we'll find out in two weeks.  The Jets have an extra week to prepare, but so does Bill Belichick.  Which likely means "advantage Patriots".

16 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

- Rodgers’ self-conceitedness is imploding the Packers game by game. And I love every minute of it. Alarm bells should be going off in Wisconsin after Sunday when you can’t put up double digits on the worst defense in the NFL. And even Zack Wilson was laughing at how horrid Rodgers’ picks were. He reminds me of geriatric Favre, when he would just heave a prayer off his back foot and expect something good to happen. And it would get picked. 

- Vikings are 7-1, but are they a contender? It’s been fun to watch, but the rational Purple faithful are expecting this team to flame out in the playoffs. Or go on a four-game losing streak. Two main concerns are in the secondary, and the O-line. Kirk deserves lots of credit for Sunday’s win bc he got pounded repeatedly. But he stood in and made the throws. Once again, the Vikings are starting a turnstile at RG. There has to be somebody somewhere pumping gas right now who could play better than rookie Ed Ingram.

So much of this league has to do with luck. Last year, the Vikes lost a handful of games by one score. Now this year, they are catching the breaks and getting W’s. But you can’t rely on that for a championship.

I don't believe we can really judge the Vikings just yet.  It's easy to pick on them because their schedule has sucked so far, but that's not their fault: they can only play the teams that the schedule-maker sets in front of them.  We'll learn a lot about them in the next month because their next four games look daunting; perhaps at that time we'll have a better idea if they're actually a good team or if they're a mirage from a bad schedule and a terrible division.

So do you believe in the Vikings after winning what might be game of the year, unreal catches by Jefferson, the never give up attitude after the 4th down stop and then to cause the fumble they recovered and then to win in OT to move to 8-1. Bills will rue this one, Allen trying to do to much and dumb dumb aggresiveness going on 4th down and getting picked instead of kicking it to go up 13 and now the Bills don't lead the East anymore.

Have the packers found the formula that can get them winning games and on a run, they ran the ball a lot to success, Rodgers trusted Christian Watson today who had 3 tds, Packers just seem to own the Cowboys of late, this long will defo sting the Cowboys not being able to finish the game off

Dolphins remain unbeaten with Tua at qb in 2022, with a complete game on offense as they destroy the Browns and take the division lead

So TJ Watt returns and Steelers look like a different team as they strangle the Saints who struggled all day apart from the 2nd qtr in a game they needed to have, for Steelers , Kenny Pickett showed some nice signs today with almost 200yrds passing

The Josh McDaniels Vegas Raiders tenure hits another low losing to the Jeff Saturday Colts, this team is so dissapointing on all sides of ball, offense couldn't do it when was needed, the defense was poor and made Matt Ryan look like himself again. Is McDaniels gonna be done after 1 season?? . Colts looked inspired and rejuvenated today as did Matt Ryan who returned as starter and has his best game, Saturday will get a much harder test for his first home game with the Eagles coming in

Congrats to Dan Campbell picking up his 1st road win as the Lions battle all day and come away fro Chicago with the 1 point win, this team might not be good but man they sure are getting better, Bears for so much goood Fields we saw bad again today, costly pick 6 and not able to close this game out when they seemed in control 

Its time to panic for the Rams, lose again to fall to bottom of west and your best player Cooper /kupp is hurt

Are the Bucs back?? they win there 2nd in a row,winning the inagural game in Germany, a game they controlled throughout even if score says they won by 5

Edited by Conker
  • Like 1

Welp, the Browns' season might be over with after that ass beating they took yesterday. Sad thing is that there's some fans out there that think DW$ will fix everything. News flash: he won't!! Can't fix a sorry ass defense. BUT I will say that Joe Woods GOTTA GO!!! There's no way in hell (alas here we are) that you have a talented group like this and play horrible all season. And I do fault AB as well for NOT addressing DT, LB and a true FS as they REALLY need all those spots filled! With no #1 pick for the next 2 years, they really need to find a few pieces in FA and HOPE they can hit in the draft! 

Rams sorry season continues as they lose Stafford in game and the game, unless they can find a miracle this season is over. 

Raiders get win 3 in OT defeating te Broncos who somehow left Adams wide open in OT and stupidly gave Raiders extra time at end of game throwing a incomplete pass instead of running it, just fire Hackett.

Ravens didn't play there best but made the plays when needed to escape the Panthers 13-3, Panthers offense was utterly awful in a game that was actually winnable

The Lions suddenly are hot going into thanksgiving on a 3 game win streak as they handled the Giants easily with Jamal Williams having a big day running the ball

Commanders continue there great run they on handling the league worst texans easily from start to finish, they get a much tougher test next week against the Falcons

Falcons survive the Bears in a back and forth game with Cordarelle Patterson tacking his 9th kickoff return td for a new NFL record and keeping pace on the Bucs for the division lead

• Like 1

Niners had a great game tonight.  It's been a while since I've seen a team admit defeat so early by pulling their starting QB with almost an entire quarter of football left to play.  If it wasn't for that Dallas game yesterday, tonight's 38-10 score would have been the most lopsided win of the week.  Now I just hope they don't do what they usually do every time they have a great game, which is follow it up with a pure trash performance the following week.  They really need to keep it rolling and beat the very beatable Saints and maintain a firm grasp on the division.  Still a lot of football left to play this season.

15 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

Niners had a great game tonight.  It's been a while since I've seen a team admit defeat so early by pulling their starting QB with almost an entire quarter of football left to play.  If it wasn't for that Dallas game yesterday, tonight's 38-10 score would have been the most lopsided win of the week.  Now I just hope they don't do what they usually do every time they have a great game, which is follow it up with a pure trash performance the following week.  They really need to keep it rolling and beat the very beatable Saints and maintain a firm grasp on the division.  Still a lot of football left to play this season.

After watching the Cardinals second half, I feel better about the Vikings. At least they tried. Cards’ defense flat out QUIT. 

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

After watching the Cardinals second half, I feel better about the Vikings. At least they tried. Cards’ defense flat out QUIT. 

Hackett and McDaniels are the current punching bags for "the hot seat" but it seems like Kingsbury should also be someone getting just as much, if not more attention.  He obviously has no control over these guys.  His over-payed ego-maniac child QB is screaming at him on the sidelines, his superstar receiver is getting 15 yards flags for an UNBELIEVABLY stupid taunting penalty (after converting a 3rd and long mind you), his offense is the most undisciplined group in the league and now, as you stated, his defense is quitting on him.  I honestly don't know what he brings to the table anymore that's worth keeping.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Hackett and McDaniels are the current punching bags for "the hot seat" but it seems like Kingsbury should also be someone getting just as much, if not more attention. 

The Jets are shrieking "hold my beer!" on that one.  Yes, it would be an insult to putrid offenses everywhere to call the Jets' offensive performance in Foxboro "putrid", but to throw all of the blame at Zach Wilson the way it seems to be happening, from the butterfingered WRs to the Head Coach now suggesting that Joe Flacco (LOL) or Mike White (double-LOL) are going to start on Sunday against the Bears?

Yes, Wilson wasn't very good.  His accuracy is an ongoing concern, although I'm willing to give him some benefit of the doubt because the winds were brutal.

But neither was the offensive line, which was jumbled for the umpteenth time this season when their (most recent) starting Right Guard couldn't go on Sunday, thus having Zach Wilson running for his life most of the afternoon.  Nor were the Wide Receivers; if Denzel Mims is going to bitch and moan about the offense, try setting a better tone for the day as opposed to dropping a perfect throw on the first play from scrimmage.  Nor was the playcalling, because the Jets (once again) got too pass-happy and ignored the usually-successful part of their playbook when they run the football, both in ordinary fashion and with various gadget plays to get other guys involved.

It was a team failing, but it appears that most of the parties have gotten together and decided to scapegoat one guy.

56 minutes ago, Conker said:

Zach Wilson has been benched,Joe Flacco or Mike White will start sunday against the Bears , we will know later https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35091901/sources-jets-players-told-qb-zach-wilson-start-sunday

He deserved it, especially when he sounded so tone deaf and arrogant by refusing to take any responsibility for last Sunday.

• Like 1

I understood why the Cowboys were favored (to the chagrin of many) but I never expected a lopsided beatdown of those proportions.  The Vikings are now 8-2 but amazing have a negative point differential on the year.

Cowboys/Giants will be huge if either want to challenge for the NFC (B)east crown.  Eagles very fortunate not to lose at Indy but have a 2-game lead.

Niners should win a lousy NFC West even if Seattle is tied at this point.  Vikings have the North all but locked up, and I guess the Bucs stumble through the South and do just enough to win it.

The AFC East is pure chaos right now with 2 teams at 7-3 and 2 at 6-4.  Still have to think the Bills win that but maybe Miami surprises if Tua stays healthy.  Ravens should get the North, Titans own the South, and Chiefs the disappointing West.

So the only real race I see at this point is the AFC East.  Crazy.

3 really good turkey-day games with major implications.  Haven’t said that in years, even Detroit has an outside shot at postseason (until Thursday anyway).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

He deserved it, especially when he sounded so tone deaf and arrogant by refusing to take any responsibility for last Sunday.

I think this is the problem, or at least the public face of the problem.  But if NFL Head Coaches benched every player who said something stupid and didn't take responsibility, there'd be roughly six players left in the League.

Mike White is going to be a freaking disaster back there.  Everybody focuses on the great day he had last season against the Bengals, and they like to ignore the other three games in which Mike White appeared and was every bit a catastrophe as you can imagine.  There was his relief appearance at Foxboro after Wilson got hurt, when the Jets lost 54-13 and Mike White threw a couple of picks.  There was the Thursday night after the Cincy game when the Jets got run over and White left the game injured.  Then there was a game against Buffalo 10 days later when White threw four interceptions and got benched.  Then there was a game in Miami after that when the Jets went to Joe Flacco.

Add to that how the Cincinnati "masterpiece" wasn't really.  He dinked and dunked all day because the Bengals refused to adjust; even so, White threw two early interceptions that let the Bengals run out to a lead, one they only coughed up when Joe Burrow threw a 4th quarter pick to gift-wrap what turned out to be the go-ahead TD.

Mike White is more accurate than Zach Wilson, and that's an important thing given how often Wilson is off-target on relatively easy throws.  (Though Denzel Mims being the one to point it out when Mims could land an endorsement from Butterfingers with all his drops is laughable.)  And White is more mobile than Joe Flacco, who opposition teams would simply blitz to death with the Jets' offensive line -- or at least the right side of same -- being the mess that it is.

But this is the same old Jets, doing all sorts of inane (excrement) to sabotage themselves.  And they're headed towards being 6-7 when they face the Lions a week before Christmas.

Great games so far today.  Maybe not every game itself, but the results were all great.  Entire NFC West losing except the Niners, perfect!  It wasn't pretty, but it was a win.  Niners now a game and a half ahead of the Hawks.  Speaking of the Hawks, that OT run by Jacobs for the win was spectacular.  And all the cameramen aiming up into the stands to look at the stunned Hawks fans faces was priceless.  But wow, what an ugly game.  I think here were more turnovers than touchdowns, and there were a LOT of touchdowns.  The Cards lose, Rams lose, Bucs lose, Broncos lose, and Jets win big.  Mike White had himself a game!  Even more impressive considering the heavy rain all game.

Also, honorable mention to Jacoby Brissett flattening a Bucs corner to help his man get the TD on the end around.  You don't see QBs do that... ever! 

• Like 1

All Nfc South but Carolina lost, that division stays a tight mess

The Washington Commanders run continues with a hard thought 19-13 win over the Atlanta Falcons

Dolphins maintan the AFC East lead rolling to easy home win over the Texans 

Next week you have the Browns @ Texans game, so will it be as most assume Watson starting or stay with Brissett? 

What do Carolina do at QB after Sam Darnold wins his first start this season and wasn't to bad, do you stick with him rest of season or what? 

• Like 1