National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Derek Carr has been benched in favor of Jarett Stidham.

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-benching-qb-derek-carr-2022-season-jarrett-stidham-starter

I'm sorry, but this makes zero fucking sense to me.

Most likely so he doesn't hit certain incentives in his contract. it's likely the Raiders will be parting ways with Carr in the offseason

3 hours ago, majob said:

Most likely so he doesn't hit certain incentives in his contract. it's likely the Raiders will be parting ways with Carr in the offseason

It's not contract incentives, but you're not too far off and your reasoning is actually pretty close.

There's verbiage in his contract where all of his 2023 salary and a chunk of his 2024 salary become guaranteed if he's injured.  (The full $32.9 million in base salary for 2023, plus $7.5 million of his more than $40 million base in 2024.)  So the Raiders are de-activating him similar to how Washington de-activated Robert Griffin III for an entire season a couple of years ago, as not to risk an injury that leads to large numbers being guaranteed and sticking to their cap in future seasons.

Barring that?  Those salaries become guaranteed on the third day of the New League Year if they haven't previously vested for injury.  So that gives the Raiders the ability to release him without a ginormous "dead cap" hit if they do it soon enough.  Those numbers probably make a trade difficult if not entirely impossible, because an acquiring team would have to be interested in paying those numbers and Carr would have to be interested in playing for them.  Carr has said a couple of times in the past that he'd retire rather than play for a team other than the Raiders, but I wonder just how committed to that he'd be if the alternative is retirement or taking backup money to compete for a job elsewhere.

• Like 1

After his 4th or 5th dirty play in less than 2 seasons, Mac Jones is fined $13k.

After counting to 3 (for perhaps the first time in his life) Allen Lazard is fined $10k.

And yet after countless times 10-15 players charge down the field to their opponents endzone and pose, strut, and taunt for 30 seconds after a turnover, sack, hit it the backfield, tipped ball, standard tackle, or getting that new bundt cake recipe just right... the NFL still has issued 0 fines.

#CONSISTENCY!

(I'm only here cause I like Saturday NFL football, but there is none today, so I began looking at NFL related stuff, only to be surprised by the recent fines.  And what's up with Saturday football?  We had it last week, we'll get it in the playoffs, but this week and next we don't.  I remember there being more Saturday games towards the end of the season when I was a kid.  I know the final week doesn't get a Monday game so all teams have the same rest for the playoffs, but I thought we had more than one week of Saturday games.  Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.)

1 hour ago, Matto_lsi said:

(I'm only here cause I like Saturday NFL football, but there is none today, so I began looking at NFL related stuff, only to be surprised by the recent fines.  And what's up with Saturday football?  We had it last week, we'll get it in the playoffs, but this week and next we don't.  I remember there being more Saturday games towards the end of the season when I was a kid.  I know the final week doesn't get a Monday game so all teams have the same rest for the playoffs, but I thought we had more than one week of Saturday games.  Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.)

We get Saturday football when there isn't much in the way of college games to soak up the airtime.  You're right: normally we would get Saturday games on this particular NFL weekend.... but the two NCAA D-1 semifinals are today and the NFL prefers not to compete with that.  Normally, those D-1 semifinals are part of the January 1st bowl package, but with January 1st being a Sunday the NCAA stepped aside from that day and chose to put the semifinals today and the usual slate of January 1st bowl games on Monday.

When New Year's Day falls in mid-week, this isn't a thing.  In a year like this when it doesn't, the parties divvy up the weekend in a way to try and minimze the on-air competition.

Here we go again.... Giants defender lands on Foles with his whole bodyweight sending him into convulsions, and while the QB lay on the ground writhing in pain and in need of medical attention, the guy who sacks him does snow angels right next to him, and yet no flag.  Could have easily thrown 2 personal foul flags on the same guy on this play for roughing and taunting.  So tired of the inconsistency.

Bradys best game of season when he needed and he got back in rythm with Mike Evans as they win the NFC South, if this Brady shows up more, who knows what they can do.

Don't look now but the Packers are a win from the playoffs after the demolision of the Vikings, every facet for the Packers played great, this team won the Superbowl last time they got in as a wildcard team, so if they get in, i'd be wary of them. As for the Vikings you showed us again why no one believes you are a for real 12 win team 

Ron Rivera, why oh why did you start Wentz in a must win game??, he was dreadful when you couldn't afford it and it costed you, a promising season that ends with nothing. Wentz looks done in another place, is his career done too?

Major props to Brian Daboll in the fantastic turnaround of the Giants which ends with the 6th seed

The collapse continues, No Tua and Bridgewater leaves injured as you lose again and lose control of the playoff spot, from looking like one the best teams to now where you might miss, its be a incredible drop and now you have the question of do you play Tua in a must win ??. Personally i'd rather Tua sit for his health

How about Mike Tomlin and the Steelers. at 2-6 we said they were dead, well after the 2nd late Kenny Pickett td winner in 2 weeks the Steelers are still alive for the playoffs and Tomlin to keep his winning season streak alive, no matter what happens next week, Tomlin deserves a lot of credit for the Coaching job he's done this season.

What a week 18 we have upcoming

AFC South all to play for between Titans and Jags,Jags even if lose can still make wildcard if the Patriots,Dolphins and Steelers lose
AFC last wild card spot between Patriots win and in, Dolphins need win+Patriots loss, Steelers need win+Patriots and Dolphins loss

AFC Seeding spots 1,2,3,5,6
AFC North if Bengals lose tonight its a winner take division game

NFC East Eagles win they get,lose and Cowboys win they get
NFC Seeding 1,2,3,5
NFC Wild Card Packers win and in, Seahawks win amd Packers lose they in, Lions win+ Packers loss they in

and lets not forget the #1 pick if Texans win and Bears lose and don't tie then Bears get, Texans lose they get it

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Reached the n° 2 spot as predicted and all of a sudden not quite sure I want it 1f602.png GB went from 4-8 to 8-8 and looks in playoff shape, so maybe it's better if PHI loses another one and give us that juicy n° 1 and bye week 1f60e.png

This is why I wanted them to rest starters the last 3 weeks.  They didn't need to not play them at all, just not overwork them and risk their health trying to get wins.  Cause now it looks like the Niners will have to either play Seattle a 3rd time (if they beat the Rams and Lions win), play the upstart Lions (if they win and Seattle loses), or like you said, the Packers, who are coming on really strong.  None of those prospects looks better than the Giants, which is who the 3rd seed will play.Sure, the Eagles could lose to the Giants next week, but probably not.  1st seed would be great.  But since the NFL decided to put all the NFC games that matter on at the same time, everyone will be playing to win and watching the live score updates from other games on the sidelines.

Speaking of which, NFL just announced next weeks schedule: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-announces-complete-week-18-schedule-for-2022-season-with-lions-packers-on-su

10 hours ago, Conker said:

NFC Wild Card Packers win and in, Seahawks win amd Packers lose they in, Lions win+ Packers loss they in

I was really hoping to go one season without having to play the Packers.  It was looking really good for a minute there... now I'd say it's a 50/50 chance... ugh.  The other options really aren't any better either.

Green Bay gets a little break with the TV schedule.  Should Seattle win an earlier game, then Detroit will know it’s already out and probably not bring the same juice.

Cowboys are in a predicament.  NFC East (and perhaps the #1 overall seed) still in play technically but it will be the Eagles with Hurts likely against a Giants team full of backups playing for nothing,  Injuries have piled up to that defense and they could use a rest before the road trip to Tampa.

35 minutes ago, majob said:

I have to wonder how the League are going to approach the Bills Bengals game. They're  both in the playoffs regardless but the Bills have the first seed on the line if they're forced to forfit it goes to the Chiefs

That game affects 1,2,3,5 and AFC North, surely it has to get played? but if so when do you? and need to see if the Bills do play this weekends game to which affects the last spot in the playoffs for the AFC

7 minutes ago, Conker said:

That game affects 1,2,3,5 and AFC North, surely it has to get played? but if so when do you? and need to see if the Bills do play this weekends game to which affects the last spot in the playoffs for the AFC

The league can add an extra week to get the game played, but last I saw they're flirting with ruling it a no contest, but idk how because that has massive implications and stops certain teams from having a chance to get in or get certain seeding.

I'm just glad to see Hamlin is awake and doing better. I hope he can get back to full health and live a full life.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Sounds like he's continuing to do better. Definitely a miracle.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-announce-safety-damar-hamlin-has-shown-remarkable-improvement-appears-to-b

Supposedly he asked in writing who won the game Monday night. 

He did and the doctors replied "You won. You won the game of life"

• Like 2

I don't believe the League has much of an option other than what they've done, which is to "cancel" the game in question and not replay it later.  Even though it has significant repercussions on the playoff picture.

Because once the players decided they weren't going to resume the game, the League was stuck.  We've seen increasingly in the past several years how the NFL is turning more into a "inmates run the asylum" situation and there don't seem to be severe consequences for all sorts of stuff there that exist for the average fan in the "real world".

I wonder how steadfast they would have been about not playing if some of those "real world" consequences could hit them.  For example, if a bunch of people who had tickets to that game sued for refunds on account of not receiving what they paid for and it was The Players who were responsible for making good on that money because it was their decision.  And if the usual voices in the media picked up on that and painted it as the "blue collar" fan against the "ultra rich" players, even though those same voices in the media usually support the player for all sorts of other gobbledygook reasons.