National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm not one to point at the refs often in a loss but the one way officiating in the Seahawks / 9ers game is beyond absurd.  Kittle pushes off his receiver, catches the ball, has it knocked away after the catch and gets a defensive PI call.  Seattle has a holding call against them that negates a key 1st down, during the replay, the play-by-play is describing what the Seattle player needed to do to avoid the hold, thing is, the Seattle player is doing exactly that as it's being described.  A bullshit defensive PI on Griffin extends the game winning drive for the 9ers,  pretty sure Seattle racked up 150+ penalty yards, about half of which were legit.  What a freakin' joke.

Edit -148 penalty yards for Seattle to San Fran's 66.

Also, that's why I wanted Houston to win, The Pats have been very vulnerable on the road this year so having to travel as much as possible in the playoffs looks like it'll matter for them.

Are you kidding? Cause BS calls like that unsportsmanlike conduct was what let Seattle score points in the first place

• Like 1

After yesterday I'm really excited to see how the playoffs go.  The Saints are really the only team that looks like they're that team.  They've played well for 99% of the season and their home field advantage is legit.  If they stay at #1, best of luck to whoever plays 'em.  The rest of the field however, we're going into week 16 and there's still several teams who may or may not even make it.  Dallas looked unstoppable after scoring Cooper, then they're shut-out.  The Eagles lost Wentz and were (just like last year) considered done, only to take out the struggling Rams who, by the way, have all of a sudden fallen back to earth hard.  Minnesota got a wake up call after the Seattle game and their new play-caller seems like he remembers there's a run game there to be had and the Redskins are still... something, and that's just the NFC.

In the AFC who the hell knows who the Steelers can and can't beat, the Pats are playing terrible ball in December(?!) and can't seem to be able to buy a win on the road, which means the difference between the 2 and 3 seed is substantial  The Chargers might be looking at #1 (I think Seattle's a bad match-up for KC, especially a prime-time game in Seattle) and KC's defense is looking more and more like a playoff problem.  And the wild cards, who the hell knows who's gonna grab that #6.

Gonna be fun to watch.

My preseason pick was Saints vs. Steelers, though these past couple months have given me pause and I'm inclined of late to change my AFC champ to San Diego -- yes, that's right, SAN DIEGO, not LA -- as I think Pittsburgh is too unreliable and KC will likely be one and done due to their exceptionally porous defense. 

Rams and NOLA are so banged up right now, both may be out in the divisional playoffs (Terron Armstead's prolonged abscense has hurt the Saints more than many realize it seems and coincides with their recent struggles). 

Both NOLA and LA need those 1st round byes if they're to stand a chance of ousting Chicago, who I believe are currently the league's most dangerous team. 

• Like 1

Can't decide if it will be an all-L.A. Super Bowl (Rams-Chargers) or an all-Texas Super Bowl (Cowboys-Texans).  Cowboys would have to win 3 games and 2 most likely on the road but they did play ball control and shut down the Saints recently.

With the Eagles win last night, still in the hunt for the 6th seed (or possibly the NFC East) but I don't think it will be an all-Pennsylvania Super Bowl

14 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Chicago, who I believe are currently the league's most dangerous team. 

I was gonna say Chicago as that team instead of NO but I just can't get on board with their QB, I just have a nagging feeling he's gonna have a game where he's the cause of the loss despite a defensive gem.

You had ONE job, Rams. You too, Jags. All you had to do was beat a couple of mediocre NFC East teams with backup QBs. Somebody obviously didn't watch tape on Foles... Dude is great. Really hope he gets a chance to start next year, somewhere in the AFC.

There's a very good chance Bears/Vikings and Eagles/Redskins might be the most interesting games to watch in Week 17, as the Bears may be playing for a first-round bye, and the others may be playing for the #6 seed. Seahawks need to be a little careful too, so KC/SEA is must-see TV this weekend.

Watch the Panthers win tonight to REALLY shake things up.

51 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Can't decide if it will be an all-L.A. Super Bowl (Rams-Chargers) or an all-Texas Super Bowl (Cowboys-Texans).  Cowboys would have to win 3 games and 2 most likely on the road but they did play ball control and shut down the Saints recently.

And you think there'll be a repeat of their recent 13-10 success? On the road, in the Dome, with a zebra squad that likely won't let blatant targeting slide? 'boys were the better team when they played the Saints, I agree wholeheartedly, but to act like they shut them down and won by a mere 3 points is folly (what would have happened had the Saints gone for the gimme-fg instead of the failed 4th down conversion?

53 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I was gonna say Chicago as that team instead of NO but I just can't get on board with their QB, I just have a nagging feeling he's gonna have a game where he's the cause of the loss despite a defensive gem.

Well, he's better than Rex Grossman -- who made it to the SB riding an insanely talented and highly disciplined defense, so there's that.

42 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Watch the Panthers win tonight to REALLY shake things up.

With this being a road game for a weary Saints team, that's what I'm afraid of.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

KC/SEA is must-see TV this weekend.

I'm less worried about KC than I was the SF games.  San Fran is a divisional opponent and they were due a win, they're also a good match against Seattle.  KC however, Seattle has one path to victory (prepare for a blatant stating of the obvious) - exploit the Chiefs terrible run defense to put together 7-8 minute scoring drives while keeping Mahomes and that offense off the field as much as possible, do that and they win.  I'm also wondering if the Chiefs' offense will struggle in Century Link during a prime-time game.  From what I've seen they're also a highly coordinated, pre-snap movement type of O that needs a lot of communication, so maybe, just maybe, the noise will throw a monkey in that wrench.

1 minute ago, TheLakota said:

2/10 troll. Shit was over six years ago and Williams -- the guilty party -- isn't even with the team anymore.

You are a Saints fan?  I pull for the Saints when they aren’t playing my favorite team.  But to think Payton was not aware of it or condoned it?  Lol, that is good stuff.  They had him on tape which led to the lengthy suspension.  All because of the Steve Gleason documentary.

• Like 1

Just now, djb5f said:

You are a Saints fan?  I pull for the Saints when they aren’t playing my favorite team.  But to think Payton was not aware of it or condoned it?  Lol, that is good stuff.  They had him on tape which led to the lengthy suspension.  All because of the Steve Gleason documentary.

Williams brought that shit in with him and irrespective of whether Sean knew about it, he despised him and no club money was used in what they call a "bounty". That's a fact. 

People have clung to bountygate to explain away the Saints' success and rarely if ever acknowledge the bounty pools the Titans or Ravens had. Can't seem to remember Jim Schwartz being banned from football for a year either. I believe Roger went after Payton to make a statement as he did with Brady. 

And yes, I'm a Saints fan, though more a pragmatic one. 

2 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Glad to see the Panthers lose with a hit that flattens Newton. Especially after what I consider to be a retarded endzone rule. (Though...I think most rules I've seen regarding the endzone are retarded. :P)

I'm still hurting over a meaningless game when Joe Horn was my hero. Same thing happened when he stretched for the pylon and it touched it. Hated that rule ever since, but that's football guess?

Perfect NFC South game. Ugly, ugly, ugly and extremely physical. 

5 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

I'm still hurting over a meaningless game when Joe Horn was my hero. Same thing happened when he stretched for the pylon and it touched it. Hated that rule ever since, but that's football guess?

Perfect NFC South game. Ugly, ugly, ugly and extremely physical. 

For me, if it's not a person holding the ball with both feet in the endzone then it's not a TD, unless you can dive and have the ball touch the endzone without losing it and it has to hit the turf before any other part of you. I don't like the whole stretch the arm and it counts because it broke the plane. I don't like it for first downs either. Why the fuck not make it a TD if a guy catches in the endzone but lands out of bounds for that matter? Same principle as far as I'm concerned when a guy can jump out of bounds with the ball in his hands just barely breaking the plane.

That play to me was ridiculous because nobody could have gotten a finger on that ball once it was knocked out mid-air. Maybe if it touched the ground at any point and bounced out but a play like that really just comes across as badly written to me.

Well that Monday night game was a battle, wasn't the prettiest game but still provided enough drama. Panthers just cannot stop this dreaded losing streak, i wonder if there is any talk about Ron Rivera's job status. Whilst the Saints get one of the 2 wins they needed from 3 for #1 NFC seed.

They need to rest Cam. Not a Panthers fan, but I do respect Newton unlike most here in Louisiana for his work with children and want the organization to do what's best for his long-term health.

Keeping him on the field is detrimental to his health and irresponsible; do the right thing. 

• Like 1