National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

13 minutes ago, acasser said:

/rant

If I'm being honest, officiating has been poor across the league this year. I saw several egregious yet uncalled fouls in a number of games this year, twice as many shadow calls and one too many calls that had an impact on the outcome of the game. 

I've seen calls go both against my team and in their favor, but I suppose that's the way it is, for better or worse. 

@acasser , you are right, I did not see the Packers/Jets game except for the very ending where Green Bay scored in OT (Rodgers run) but called back for a penalty. They scored again the very next play I believe.  Anyway, I agree with your first paragraph, part of which is star players get star treatment.  Not as bad as the NBA of course.  And from what I hear, Jets were on the short end of the whistle, but like you stated, it may be for the best (draft position).

Anyway, fans do see it one-sided.  We see the bad calls and 50/50 calls that go against our teams more for sure. I thought the Cowboys got screwed with 2 egregious 15 yard PF calls on the Bucs TD drive right before halftime.

I can’t stand the Steelers but the Saints got some serious home cooking today, esp the long spot foul PI on a 4th down play that set up a TD (gifted 7 points, rallied to win by 3).  Got to play through it I suppose. I bet the Pittsburgh fan base is bitter given the stakes of the game.  Oh well! ?

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Once again, the Chiefs had the perfect opportunity...and once again, the defense fucking blew it! 1f621.png

I thought you didn't need a top ten defense with an O like that (I know you weren't the one who said it, but that comment was gold). 

@djb5f Don't really like your line of reasoning regarding home cooking. When Jaylon Smith hit Alvin I felt that was blatant targeting and he should have been ejected. No flag. Do I think it was a no-call because the refs wanted Dallas to win? No, because that would be borderline stupid of me to think akin to the faked Moon landing or flat Earth theory. 

What it boils down to I feel is incompetence: most refs are good, but they're NOT going to catch everything, sometimes to the detriment of your team. 

Edited by TheLakota

I'm having flashbacks to that year where the Vikings had to play the Packers at home in Week 17 to get into the playoffs, and then Green Bay again in the playoffs the week after. That was the infamous Joe Webb game. I can't remember if the Packers needed that game for a bye, but it looks like the Bears will be trying for it.

If the Rams are sitting on a comfortable lead, though, I wonder if the Bears are better off throwing the game. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot by letting the Eagles into the playoffs. That team is scary when they're good. Not as scary as Chicago, but it's an interesting thought.

Glad they flexed Colts/Titans into SNF. That should be a good one!

Like I said when the Rams/Chiefs game ended, not my type of game at all (I'm still a fan of defense first) but hooray for the win.  And hey, if you're gonna have a shootout like that, at least there was some amazing throws and catches to marvel over instead of 60 minutes of absent defense and penalties driving every score.

3 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Now all that needs to happen is the Patriots win next week and the Chiefs lose so they can end the regular season with the same record so everyone can lose their shit. ?

Doubt we'll lose at home to the Raiders. Also doubt the Pats will lose at home to the Jets.

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Glad they flexed Colts/Titans into SNF. That should be a good one!

Indeed is a good flex, though the Titans will have to do something they have never done before and that is beat The Colts when Andrew Luck is playing them :P 

7 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Now all that needs to happen is the Patriots win next week and the Chiefs lose so they can end the regular season with the same record so everyone can lose their shit. 1f602.png

7 hours ago, Spyro said:

Doubt we'll lose at home to the Raiders. Also doubt the Pats will lose at home to the Jets.

Don't worry:  the Jets are Dead Team Walking.  They're a bad team, their coach is going to get fired after the game -- and hopefully pushed off the team plane somewhere over Connecticut on the return flight -- a whole bunch of veterans will get cut in the next few weeks, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.  It'll probably be 45-0 at halftime so Bill Belichick can pull his injury-prone starters (plus Tom Brady) and the Jets will put up some garbage time numbers behind Sam Darnold against the remnants who won't care so long as things don't get too close.

13 hours ago, acasser said:

Look.  I know the NFL wants scoring and has made it nigh-impossible to play defense against the pass -- I recall there being a vigorous argument about that and the officiating in this thread during the past season that I've largely glossed over because it hasn't mattered.  And I know the Jets are a bad team with a terrible defense, undisciplined to boot with all the stupid penalties they commit week after week, et cetera.  And I know that stars -- e.g., Aaron Rodgers -- get the benefit of calls when lots of other people don't.

And that doesn't change how the Packers-Jets game at the Meadowlands this afternoon was still an atrocity, albeit one probably not witnessed by very many people outside of the NYC and Green Bay markets given the two teams entered today a combined 9-18-1.  I swear, the referees did everything but drop to their knees at midfield and give Aaron Rodgers a blow job today.  Yes, many of the penalties committed by the Jets were warranted, but it took a hard left turn at some point and veered into ludicrous territory.  Every time a Jets defensive back tried to play coverage a flag was thrown.  There was one point on the late 4th-quarter Green Bay drive where they paused the game and pulled out the tablet to count Jets defenders just so they could find a way to overturn a Packer penalty.  I'm convinced that Rodgers never broke the plane on the go-ahead TD a few plays later, but we know New York is going to give him the call and screw over the Jets if they have the opportunity.  On the first attempt of a two-point try, that's as weak a penalty as there is, but it's hardly surprising that a flag was thrown there when the flag was thrown all afternoon on every other Jets DB and Green Bay receivers were allowed to do everything but call in the Gambino Crime Family to hit various Jets over the head with a lead pipe.

I don't mind the Jets playing well and losing, although only the offense and special teams (mostly) played well.  I don't mind losing for draft status and to get the idiot head coach fired.  And it's not like this game mattered, anyhow.

But I do mind when the Jets are playing 11-on-19 because you've got eight guys wearing black and white stripes helping the guys in green-and-gold.

/rant

Now you understand a bit of misery the NFC North fans deal with when they have to play Rodgers twice a year. AND (!), Favre got similar treatment so that's a quarter-century of Green Bay getting the LeBron treatment in officiating. 

I hate Green Bush with a passion but Rodgers got the ball in on that final play. BARELY. By maybe an inch. But it did break the plane. 

This season, I'm less inclined to blame officiating crews because I think they are calling it as the NFL Front Office wants them to. The defensive holding/ illegal contact/ pass interference rulings are out of control but it's being called to the ridiculous degree it is in every game I watch. What irritates me is that the calls goes against the defense 90% of the time, yet the offensive player is doing just as much contact. Recievers today can run full-speed into a DB, create space because of the collision and be wide open. But that never gets called. And hand-fighting occurs frequently but how many times does it go against the defense intead of the offense?

What I'd really like to see is back judges calling multiple penalties on a pass play and rule pass interference against the defense AND offensive player. Essentially, it would just be a replay of the down but it would make it more fair then the current offense-friendly the calls are going these days. 

Also, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all. May you have a playoff berth wrapped in a ? for you this week. 

1 hour ago, lildunkin342 said:

Feel like the Chiefs are going to take it this year. I originally thought it would be the Chargers but after their performance against the Ravens I have my do

Interesting take. So you think the Chiefs will suddenly learn to stop the run and not struggle against playoff defenses?

Thinking Ravens go on a run personally (if they make it in) along with the Chargers. Ravens narrowly lost to Chiefs and Chargers can beat them again. 

Well if that was the last ever game in Oakland then what a way to go out with a 27-14  win over a awful/unready Bronco team, Vance Joseph surely is done, wonder what is Keenum's future with the team is and if they will draft a qb

Means the Denver Broncos will have back to back losing seasons for the 1st time since 1972

p.s How about that 99 yard punt return by Dwayne Harris after Denver failed to down it at the 1 yard line

Edited by Conker

Alright *puts homer hat on* if Pete doesn't snag coach of the year this year (which I already know he won't after the Bears' season) then it's never gonna happen.  I understand not taking it in the glory days because of the team he was trotting out there was so unbelievably talented that anything less than what they did would have been a colossal disappointment.  This year however, he lost superstar after superstar on defense, he rebuilt the offensive coaching staff and turned the team from the worst running game in the league to the best in the span of a year and in the preseason "experts" all over were predicting a 4-5 win season.  Fast forward to today and he's got them on the cusp of double digit wins with a playoff spot already clinched.  Honestly, he deserves at least one COTY honor under his belt for his time spent with Seattle and this should be the year.

Pete Carroll has done a wonderful job this season and deserves some kudos for it.  But as a lifelong Jets fan, I'm never going to be the one to give it to him.

All us long-lived Gang Green fanatics remember Pete Carroll for one thing:  Dan Marino's (expletive deleted) Fake Spike.  That was the inflection point on Carroll's tenure in New York and said tenure didn't last very long beyond that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, djb5f said:

This preseason prediction was relatively good, had 10 wins for the Seahawks and had Dallas over Philly in the NFC East (few did).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-season-bold-predictions-final-record-for-all-32-teams-and-playoff-picks/

Hoo-wee did he ever whiff on the NFC North prediction, lol.  I also have to point out Seattle getting to 10 was his "bold" prediction because everyone else put them in the toilet.  The O-line was pretty formidable this year too, especially with the run blocking.  Fluker, Sweezy and the new coach flipped that particular unit in a major way.

2 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Hoo-wee did he ever whiff on the NFC North prediction, lol.  I also have to point out Seattle getting to 10 was his "bold" prediction because everyone else put them in the toilet.  The O-line was pretty formidable this year too, especially with the run blocking.  Fluker, Sweezy and the new coach flipped that particular unit in a major way.

Yeah, but the bulk of pre-season predictions are rehashing 90% of the playoff teams from the year before though it never works that way.  So he did better than most I think.  Very few had the Bears in the North and why Nagy will run away with it.

7 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

It also had Atlanta advancing to the NFC championship and the Pack winning it all. Just...nah. 

Ha, did not read that far.  Rams seemed to be the mostly common pick from the NFC IIRC.

Actually, Falcons got a lot of love.  Here is another with Atlanta winning it all.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/21/nfl-preseason-predictions-team-records-playoffs-super-bowl-liii-champion

Edited by djb5f

41 minutes ago, djb5f said:

This preseason prediction was relatively good, had 10 wins for the Seahawks and had Dallas over Philly in the NFC East (few did).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-season-bold-predictions-final-record-for-all-32-teams-and-playoff-picks/

Jets at 8-8, LOL.  Jets have barely won eight games the past two seasons combined.