National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

@acasser I'm sure we're both aware what a cancerous locker room does to a team's chances to be successful. That said, if you're willing to potentially set aside unity and cohesion for young talent, I'd venture to guess you aren't that interested in your team winning a Super Bowl. 

Non sequitur aside regarding your "choir boy" claim, I don't expect my team's players to be perfect. I do challenge you however to find anything currently wrong with Alvin or Mark; from what I know of them, they're pillars of the community and role models. And they're pretty damn good ball players, too. 

Edited by TheLakota

2 hours ago, TheLakota said:

I'm sure we're both aware what a cancerous locker room does to a team's chances to be successful. That said, if you're willing to potentially set aside unity and cohesion for young talent, I'd venture to guess you aren't that interested in your team winning a Super Bowl. 

I root for a team that hasn't reached the Super Bowl in my lifetime, and I was born while the (arabic) numbers for the Super Bowl were still in the single digits.

I agree, a cancerous locker room can destroy a team.  But I also think it frequently takes more than one player to wreck an entire locker room -- there are circumstances where one bad apple really can spoil an otherwise good bunch, especially if that "bad apple" is a premiere player, but I believe you usually need more than one bad guy for it to be a problem.  I also believe that certain locker rooms and coaching regimes can mitigate what would otherwise be a bad apple and reduce him to a non-issue.

I wouldn't bring Leonard Fournette into a troubled team, but I think there are a number of teams out there that could handle him and any of these issues that already exist.

8 minutes ago, acasser said:

I wouldn't bring Leonard Fournette into a troubled team, but I think there are a number of teams out there that could handle him and any of these issues that already exist.

I generally agree. Not to intentionally come off as a dick, but SB utilizes Roman numerals.

Edited by TheLakota

10 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

I think he meant he was born at least 42 years ago (53 - 9, the last single digit SB)

Right, just pointing out "Arabic" was said rather than "Roman".

29 minutes ago, acasser said:

I root for a team that hasn't reached the Super Bowl in my lifetime, and I was born while the (arabic) numbers for the Super Bowl were still in the single digits.

Emphasis mine.

This became a bigger deal than I meant it too. I know what you meant to say @acasser so it's cool.

20 hours ago, TheLakota said:

This became a bigger deal than I meant it too. I know what you meant to say @acasser so it's cool.

This is the internet.  If one is that thin-skinned, they probably should find another medium for their edification.  ?

So yeah, it's all cool.  And yes, I was born more than 42 years ago, long enough to see my "beloved" Jets find many, many creative ways to disappoint me.

17 minutes ago, acasser said:

So yeah, it's all cool.  And yes, I was born more than 42 years ago, long enough to see my "beloved" Jets find many, many creative ways to disappoint me.

I think most of us can say that. Hell, my team gave me enough reason to roll my eyes every time a new season started. Of course, I was always the optimist with my "next year" talk. 

Edited by TheLakota

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Ref's really giving the Rams a lot of leeway so far, not calling a helmet hit then forcing a receiver off the field because he was shakey... makes total sense?

They're definitely helping LA make a game of it. Lots of no-calls on offensive line holding as well. 

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

NFC - Rams. Something about last week's game just made me uneasy about the Saints play. 

Et tu, Perre?

I thought the Saints were going to run away with it, but that 4th down call by McVay was ballsy to say the least. I think that was the turnaround moment in the first half. That, and of course, the 36-yard catch by Cooks. What a throw and what a catch. Hopefully, the second half is entertaining. I hate watching blowouts unless it's my team, but I'm pretty sure this is a universal feeling for the most part. 

I'm also not bitter seeing the chiefs destroy my colts last week and hope that they pull out the W later tonight for my friend's sake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Ref's really giving the Rams a lot of leeway so far, not calling a helmet hit then forcing a receiver off the field because he was shakey... makes total sense?

The crew assigned to that game throws fewer flags than any other crew in the League.  So that might have something to do with it as well.

Another fun tidbit about that Rams-Saints officiating crew?  The Rams are 0-8 in games where that crew is calling things, entering today.

2 minutes ago, acasser said:

Another fun tidbit about that Rams-Saints officiating crew?  The Rams are 0-8 in games where that crew is calling things, entering today.

I'm aware, but they're certainly looking to change that stat today. 

What few flags they HAVE thrown though have extended Rams drives and resulted in 10 points. That classic PI no-call also stalled a Saints drive. 

If this game goes to overtime, win or lose I hope Payton is willing to open up his checkbook and say what needs to be said at the press conference.  If the Rams win, no one would call him a sore loser (outside of LA at least) and the officiating needs to be called out and criticized more by coaches, especially when a trip to the Superbowl is blatantly stolen from you because a ref doesn't do his damn job.

12 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Good lord, that last no-call was potentially game ending.  Rams are officially getting away with murder.

Saints got robbed on that no call. Ram's player had no idea where the ball was. Lol. Over time it is. Seems like the refs left theif flags in LA.

Granted, they did miss a couple of calls for the Saints, but nothing like that! That was so obvious... It was the textbook example of passing interference.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07