National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Nothing to do with the games, but Julian Edelman is awful on Fox. They need to let him go.

Kinda weird considering he and Gronk do a pretty good podcast

If Seattle somehow back doors their way in they'd just be a waste of a playoff spot so I'm gonna put my support behind the Lions.  Seeing that a team can actually have happiness and success after such a loooong drought is a kind of hope that's extremely important to us Mariners fans.  I mean, we need something to cling to come baseball season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, majob said:

Kinda weird considering he and Gronk do a pretty good podcast

It’s really weird. I’ve heard him talk before, and he was fine, but on the panel, he always misses cues, and has strange hesitations. He never has very good insight, and he makes a lot of mistakes.

Also, getting back to football, the collapse of the Eagles is incredible. This has been a strange year in the NFL.

Edited by starcrunch061

Pete, thank you for an incredible Superbowl win and f--k you for a soul-crushing Superbowl loss.  Not just a loss but a loss so heartbreaking it destroyed a potential dynasty.  Having said that, it just seems like it's time for him to bow out.  His antiquated style isn't effective and the players just don't seem to be responding to his "leadership" anymore.  The only consistency that shows up year after year is penalties and terrible defense, especially in the run game, which is supposed to be his forte.  The offensive side of the ball has been woefully disappointing when you look at the talent they have and the defense... oh the defense.  Seattle spent a TON of resources on the defense this year to go from 30th to... 30th.  It'd be really cool to see a young, hungry, offensive minded coach get a chance to take what Seattle has and see if they can help them reach their potential, good is the enemy of great and just being "good" seems like it's made Seattle complacent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffalo is killing themselves,

Edited by skidmarkgn

27 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

So have to listen all week about Tyreek’s return to KC. However, they’re gonna have lots of fun playing in the bitter cold. :lol:

Nah, the talking heads will be too busy jerking it to Stafford going to Ford field. 

Is Miami-Kansas City going to be the lowest-rated (television) playoff game in modern history given it's on a streaming service?  I suspect the number of people outside the Miami and Kansas City markets who have access to the game is a fraction of what would be possible even for basic cable like ESPN.  And probably not a compelling enough game to get anybody to subscribe, even if whats-her-name puts in another appearance.

I'm really hoping the Bucs 'upset' the Eagles and the Lions crush the Rams.  I guess I'd rather see the Packers win in Dallas, but it's hard to cheer for either team here.  Do I favor the team that prevented mine from likely winning 2 SBs in the early 90s, or the one that prevented my team from potentially winning 3 SBs in the late 90s?  If only they both could be eliminated.

As for the AFC, I don't care much, but would definitely like to see the Steelers lose at Buffalo.  My guess is the Browns will win, but who knows, both them and the Texans have had ups and downs this year, and I don't personally follow either team.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns made it all the way to the AFC championship game, most likely against the Ravens.  Just to see Flacco get a chance against the team that tossed him away and the QB they chose over him would be interesting, to say the least.  Of course Miami would have to win their game too, and play/lose to the Ravens again in the divisional round to make that happen, and who knows how that game will go.  And I mean that literally, no one will see that game other than the 8 people who pay for Peacock Premium AND like football.  The 99.9% of football fans outside Miami-Dade who don't pay for peacock will watch the 12 min highlight reel on youtube 5 mins after the game ends.

On a semi-related note, does anyone know if CBS will directly stream the SB for free on their website like they have in previous years?  I'm not sure who had the rights the last 4+ years, but I don't have cable, and I live in a valley so antennas don't work, but I've still been able to stream the SB for free every year directly through the host website.  But it sounds like this year CBS is only offering broadcast directly and using Paramount+ for the streaming side.  I can't find any concrete info on whether or not CBS.com will also stream the game, but at this point I'm assuming they won't.  Of course, that might change if the viewership for these paid streaming exclusive playoff games tank, which I hope they do.  With the cost advertisers have to pay per commercial, the SB should always be broadcast AND streamed for free.

14 hours ago, acasser said:

Is Miami-Kansas City going to be the lowest-rated (television) playoff game in modern history given it's on a streaming service?  I suspect the number of people outside the Miami and Kansas City markets who have access to the game is a fraction of what would be possible even for basic cable like ESPN.  And probably not a compelling enough game to get anybody to subscribe, even if whats-her-name puts in another appearance.

Uncertain, but if you're in the KC area or the Miami area, you can watch it on local TV. Of course NBC would put the Chiefs game on Peacock. And she probably will...a lot of people in KC are sick of it, too. 

Edited by MidnightDragon

NBC intentionally put KC/Miami on Peacock to get some new customers.  They knew if they put Cleveland/Houston (two franchises without much history, fanbases, or star power), it would be a bad draw.  

The regular season game on Peacock did better ratings than I was expecting so the playoff game will get a lot more than that.  Not comparable to network or even cable TV, but healthy numbers.  It’s the NFL.

This is what over-expansion of the playoffs did.  So many games on wild card weekend.  It was a better product before we saw undeserving 9-8 wildcards.  And yes they can win a game or possibly two, but it doesn’t make it right.

It's weird to me hearing the reaction around here to Pete's stepping down.  I get the outpour of love because of what he did a decade ago but everybody seems to be hanging on to how "good" they've consistently been, which I really struggle with.  Not the idea that they've been "good" because that's not up for debate but the idea that being consistently good should be the goal.  Since one of the most crushing losses in SB history what has Seattle done?  A few division wins, a BUNCH of one-and-done playoff appearances and... nothing, they haven't been past the divisional round a singe time since,  just treading water and being satisfied with it.  Not saying they haven't tried, they have, but the big splash decisions have -more often than not- not panned out well, with the most recent being the Jamaal disaster. 

I'm also looking at the culture under Pete and it's not impressive.  In the week 18 win against Arizona the only thing I saw that could be considered a positive was Wagner treating Bush like the unprofessional man-child that he appears to be.  The discipline is non-existent, every year they seem to finish in the top 3 most penalized teams, the locker room smoking celebratory cigars after being eliminated (yes I heard about the birth of the child story), the general attitude of far too many players show that it's not about the team anymore, which maybe is a generational thing where development of  "the brand" is the new above all end-game, I don't know.  It just feels like they've peaked at mediocre (earning the 16th overall pick is so perfect for this team) and Pete doesn't know how to rise above it anymore.  No idea if the new regime will figure it out but looking at the talent Seattle possesses on paper, there's no excuse for being exactly average.  Give McVay or Shanahan this same roster and I'd bet my house they'd be preparing for the wild card round as we speak instead of sitting at home.

Chiefs won the Ice Bowl. :P So they’ll either host the Texans (I think) or head to Buffalo to play the Bills. They made Tyreek a non-factor except for their only score. :lol: He chased the money, so hard to feel bad for him. 

Edited by MidnightDragon

Ever since I've heard Dan Quinn's name being thrown around for the Seattle HC job I've wanted nothing to do with it... hopefully that performance will help the powers that be shy away from it as well.  Now, PLEASE GO GET ON OFFENSIVE MINDED COACH!!