National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Dan Campbell doing Dan Campbell things.

After the controversial penalty, he forgoes OT against the Cowboys in Week 17 to instead go for the 2-point conversion from the 7-yard line.  Well today, he goes full dumb-dumb again.

Chance to go up 3 scores midway through the 3rd Q, he says no thanks.  A couple plays later, it’s a one-score game!   Momentum totally flipped, you have to factor that into your decisions.  

Then, he again has a chance to tie it in the 4th with an FG and he says no thanks.  That allowed SF to go up 2 scores.

To cap it off, the Lions ruin any chance of a comeback by running the ball down 10 and with 1 minute left and using a timeout afterwards. 

Real men of genius.

I know the media fawns over him for his emotional rah-ray stuff but that was criminal negligence.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, djb5f said:

Then, he again has a chance to tie it in the 4th with an FG and he says no thanks.  

I'm glad someone else is calling him out on this. 

Such a dumb call. You have been outscored 20-0 in the second half, and just fell behind for the first time. I don't care what "espn analytics" say - you put points on the board. (Memo to the rest of the NFL - don't rely on numbers you don't understand. There are 4th down plays, and there are 4th down plays. Don't treat 4 and 2 in the first quarter down 7-0 with 4th and 2 in the 4th quarter down 3.)

I think Dan Campbell has done some great things, but I begin to fear he has quite the ceiling.

11 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Regardless of whether or not the 49ers win the Super Bowl, Brock Purdy needs to be paid the big bucks.

Being that I live in Ames and am paid by ISU, I hope Purdy does it. I don't know if he'll stick around, but I'll say one thing for him - he doesn't seem to get overwhelmed by bad situations. The last two games, he's looked like a 10-year veteran.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

Say what you will about him, most Lions fans don't care and I'm one of them. None of you have experienced the misery of Lions football nor  have any of you experienced a team lacking so in success to the point where it's almost a running joke with other fans. Campbell is aggressive and that has its faults but he's done more for Detroit Football than any other coach since the Fords bought the team. I'm happy we simply made it as far as we did and hopefully Campbell will learn to tone it down, or maybe he won't, who cares, his style is why the Lions are where they are right now.

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, majob said:

nor  have any of you experienced a team lacking so in success to the point where it's almost a running joke with other fans. 

This Mariners fan would like to disagree, lol.

Now that I'm finally done projectile vomiting over the championship results (Sorry Matto, I love ya' but the only thing worse than a Chiefs/9ers SB for me would be a Chiefs/Cowboys SB) I'm out.  The SB is the most unbelievably stacked team in the league vs. the most hateable team in the league, ugh.  Go 9ers I guess.  Anyways, see you guys in the off-season!

6 hours ago, majob said:

Say what you will about him, most Lions fans don't care and I'm one of them. None of you have experienced the misery of Lions football nor  have any of you experienced a team lacking so in success to the point where it's almost a running joke with other fans. Campbell is aggressive and that has its faults but he's done more for Detroit Football than any other coach since the Fords bought the team. I'm happy we simply made it as far as we did and hopefully Campbell will learn to tone it down, or maybe he won't, who cares, his style is why the Lions are where they are right now.

Yeah, I get that, too. The Lions have been losers throughout much of the merger history; they are better now than they’ve ever been.

It’s a shame, though, that emotion won out. And I know that potential FG in the 4th was no gimme (it was around 48 yards, if memory serves).

Two NFL thoughts on this Monday:

Regarding the Detroit Lions.... would it have been too much trouble to ask their defense to make an (expletive deleted) stop in the second half?  I'm sure some of the decisions and calls made by the Head Coach were dubious, but San Francisco basically went up and down the field at will in the second half.  Five possessions and five scores prior to running out the final minute; at some point, your (expletive deleted) defense needs to make an (expletive deleted) play.  Blowing a huge lead like that is a "whole team" thing and not just something to scapegoat one or two favorite red-headed stepchildren for.

And if I'm rooting at all in two weeks, it's for the San Francisco 49ers.  But that's because I wish Travis Kelce's next commercial would be a Liberty Insurance gig where the baby grand piano drops on him.  Yes, I *am* sick to death of all the Taylor Swift (bovine feces), but I was sick of the Tight End long before that pop tart discovered that there was a National Football League and I do actively wish him ill.

And if something catastrophic happened to him and he had to retire prior to the Super Bowl, I'd go back to rooting for the Chiefs.  Or at least as much as I give a damn about the game.... which I really don't.  I haven't watched one of those things in a decade and I don't believe I'll have to worry about doing so anytime soon given my rooting interests.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, acasser said:

but I was sick of the Tight End long before that pop tart discovered that there was a National Football League and I do actively wish him ill.

The reality dating show was the beginning of the end for me, the "put some respect on our name" speech after last tear's SB was the nail.  If that dip-shit truly believed everyone was talking about the Chiefs as some disrespected sad sack then he really is as dumb as he looks.

11 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yeah, I get that, too. The Lions have been losers throughout much of the merger history; they are better now than they’ve ever been.

It’s a shame, though, that emotion won out. And I know that potential FG in the 4th was no gimme (it was around 48 yards, if memory serves).

On some level I get why Campbell just goes for it on 4th down because the kicker is abysmal, he's like 80% even at 40 yards

19 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Ironically, that's the exact distance of the field goal Moody (the Niners kicker) missed in the first half.  He hasn't been terrible this year, but as a Niners fan since the 80s, he's starting to give me Mike Cofer vibes, and for anyone who doesn't remember him, that's a really BAD thing.  And considering the Lions kicker is no better - most Lion fans would probably argue he's much worse - I totally understand that one.  Plus it's just who Dan Campbell is, and I think the analysts are right when they say the Lions wouldn't have even been in the mix if it wasn't for his tenacity and decision making all season long.  Does he take risks?  You betcha!  Do they always pay off?  Rewatch the end of the Cowboys game.  But the Lions got to the NFC championship game for the first time in SB-era history.  I think he deserves a pass.

20 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

This Mariners fan would like to disagree, lol.

Now that I'm finally done projectile vomiting over the championship results (Sorry Matto, I love ya' but the only thing worse than a Chiefs/9ers SB for me would be a Chiefs/Cowboys SB) I'm out.  The SB is the most unbelievably stacked team in the league vs. the most hateable team in the league, ugh.  Go 9ers I guess.  Anyways, see you guys in the off-season!

Lol, it's all good, I didn't want the Chiefs there either! :P  But I also didn't want the Ravens.  I was really hoping the Texans would shock everyone.  That would have been a cool SB.  And I would have been equally good with a Lions-Texans SB.  But it is what it is.  Hopefully the result of this SB is a little different than the last iteration.

Niners have made some runs but still no Super Bowl titles to show for it.  1994-1995 season was the last.  That’s longer ago than the Cowboys.  

SF has a lot more talent around Purdy than this iteration of KC but never count out Mahomes.   KC punted 5 consecutive times to start the 2nd half against Baltimore and didn’t score.  Can’t afford to do that again.  

3 hours ago, majob said:

Honestly surprised Ben Johnson wasn't hired as a coach somewhere but happy nonetheless because the offense is going to stay largely as effective as ever.

Seattle had a lot of interest in him but I thought I heard that he himself decided he wanted to stay in Detroit?

22 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Seattle had a lot of interest in him but I thought I heard that he himself decided he wanted to stay in Detroit?

Yeah it seems so, I'm assuming Sheila offered him a nice pay bump

On 1/31/2024 at 2:33 PM, MidnightDragon said:

Some of the crazy things people are saying about Travis and Taylor…I don’t like the focus on them, either, but some people are just stupid. :lol: 

For me it's not the fault of Taylor it's the NFL, the media and every social media platform milking this dry until the end of the season, people forget that this was a thing when Jessica Simpson was dating Tony Romo, just not on a larger scale because social media wasn't as large(and toxic) as it is now.  IMO it could be anyone famous that started dating a famous professional athlete, I think that's why most tend to stray away from them because they'd never get any privacy. 

1 minute ago, squaresoft4ever7 said:

For me it's not the fault of Taylor it's the NFL, the media and every social media platform milking this dry until the end of the season, people forget that this was a thing when Jessica Simpson was dating Tony Romo, just not on a larger scale because social media wasn't as large(and toxic) as it is now.  IMO it could be anyone famous that started dating a famous professional athlete, I think that's why most tend to stray away from them because they'd never get any privacy. 

If she's at the Super Bowl, I expect them to show her every five seconds. :lol: 

Absolutely Disgraceful From The NFL to Have The Eagles Open in Brazil. Every Teams First Home game should be at HOME, Not in another Country....,   First Peacock then this, What The Fuck NFL???

Far to many international games as is, can they just stop , Fans don't want that

Interesting coaching turnover for Seattle.  Still disappointed that Johnson decided to stay in Detroit but McDonald is a solid second choice.  If he can get the defense to be even average I'll consider it a win, they have WAY too much talent to be consistently ranked 30th or worse in damn near every category like it was over and over under Carroll.  On the offensive side of the ball just please get it to DK!!  He was criminally under-targeted in far too many games last season which there is no excuse for.