National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Gotta say. I am now hoping for an NFC Championship game between the 9-8 Packers and the 9-8 Buccaneers.  

Playoffs have way over-expanded and diluted the importance of the regular season.  You should be not rewarded for having a mediocre/lousy season.  It’s the NFL, you could put a crappy 5-win team in there and they may be able to win a game or two, but it doesn’t mean they earned that right.

Good weekend of football.  Dallas loses, Eagles lose, Rams lose, and Steelers lose.  Couldn't have planned for a better result even if I had scripted the games....

I find it funny that Jerry Jones was shocked to lose in January.  It's become a staple of his franchise, and hopefully will continue in perpetuity.  Tomlin's future being questioned should also make Tree happy, can't wait for his wildcard weekend recap.

Those Eagles though man... how does a team start 10-1 and finish 1-6?  Wow.  What a collapse.  And to lose 32-9 to a Bucs team they beat on the road 25-11 earlier in the season, really highlights their decline.  I guess the Niners really did break them, cause this all started with that blowout loss, followed by another against Dallas, and then a full-on meltdown the rest of the season.  Yikes!

So the Bills, Lions, and Texans have never won a SB AND the Lions and Texans have never even been to a SB, so I'll be cheering for them (and the Niners) next week.  I doubt all 4 of them will win, but if they do, then I'd be happy enough with any SB result.  It'd be nice to see teams go to the big game that have never been there before, and if the Niners can't win it, I'd rather someone new lift the trophy.  Texans look red hot, but they are the only one of those 4 who have to go on the road next week, and they have to play the rested Ravens.  That's a tall order.  Anyone think they can pull it off?

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Good weekend of football.  Dallas loses, Eagles lose, Rams lose, and Steelers lose.  Couldn't have planned for a better result even if I had scripted the games....

I find it funny that Jerry Jones was shocked to lose in January.  It's become a staple of his franchise, and hopefully will continue in perpetuity.  Tomlin's future being questioned should also make Tree happy, can't wait for his wildcard weekend recap.

Those Eagles though man... how does a team start 10-1 and finish 1-6?  Wow.  What a collapse.  And to lose 32-9 to a Bucs team they beat on the road 25-11 earlier in the season, really highlights their decline.  I guess the Niners really did break them, cause this all started with that blowout loss, followed by another against Dallas, and then a full-on meltdown the rest of the season.  Yikes!

So the Bills, Lions, and Texans have never won a SB AND the Lions and Texans have never even been to a SB, so I'll be cheering for them (and the Niners) next week.  I doubt all 4 of them will win, but if they do, then I'd be happy enough with any SB result.  It'd be nice to see teams go to the big game that have never been there before, and if the Niners can't win it, I'd rather someone new lift the trophy.  Texans look red hot, but they are the only one of those 4 who have to go on the road next week, and they have to play the rested Ravens.  That's a tall order.  Anyone think they can pull it off?

Jerry's living in the past. He still thinks he's in his glory days in the 90s since he knows nothing will ever top that. 

As for the Eagles, I don't give a damn if they made it to the wild card. They need to fire their head coach. The fact they collapsed so badly on his watch can't be ignored.

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Good weekend of football results.

The actual football was pretty atrocious this weekend so I took the liberty of fixing that for you 😜

The Dolphins/Chiefs wasn't a football game, it was two groups of people trying not to die, Dallas/Green Bay was a laugher of the best kind (sorry Djb), Texans/Browns was awful, Bills/Steelers was awful, then kind of interesting... until it wasn't and Eagles/Buccs was another joke (someone seemed to forget to tell Philly that flag football is only an all-star thing and they're still supposed to be playing the tackle version in the playoffs)  .  Rams Lions was the only entertaining game of the bunch unless you either hate one or more of the MANY teams that got blown out or vice versa.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 7:51 PM, Zio_Sam87 said:

And the Disappointment of the Year goes to... The Dallas Chokeboys!!!

The Philadelphia Eagles and Miami Dolphins have entered the chat.

We expect the Cowboys to collapse come the postseason because they've done it every year (that they've made it so far) for decades.  But it was the other two teams I've referenced who choked things away, who built up such huge expectations and started imploding before the regular season even ended.  Going from presumptive favorites or co-favorites to not even getting a home playoff game and then going away not with a bang, but with a whimper.

As far as the Eagles go I believed whole heartedly since the last season they were mostly the product of an easy schedule combined with a offense that wasn't completely understood yet and now that the Eagles small bag of tricks were figured out, their performance subsequently dropped off as expected.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:39 PM, skidmarkgn said:

The actual football was pretty atrocious this weekend so I took the liberty of fixing that for you 😜

I dunno, I didn't think they were too bad, unless the one-sided nature of them is what bothered you.  I don't mind a blowout when it's a team I want to lose getting blown out, its actually quite comical.  And in both the Dallas and Philly games the Bucs and Packers were making some fantastic plays, so I was actually entertained.  I mean, who didn't laugh themselves off the couch when Hurts ran 5 yards backwards into his own endzone, stood still for 2 seconds, and took a sack/safety?  And I get it, the games in Buffalo and KC were highly affected by the weather, and probably would have been better played elsewhere, but it could have been worse... a lot worse.  I mean, Vikings 3, Raiders 0 comes to mind, and that was barely a month ago, lol.  The worst part of the games - as it has been for years now - is the refball.  If there's one thing you can count on in today's NFL, it's inconsistent and terrible calls overshadowing the game.  But at least their terrible calls didn't affect the outcomes this time (well, maybe in the Lions/Rams game... maybe...).

17 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I dunno, I didn't think they were too bad, unless the one-sided nature of them is what bothered you.

That's 100% what bothered me, lol.  I'm in the same boat when it comes to blowouts but when every game but 1 over a playoff weekend (where all the supposed best teams are on the field) are over by the time the 3rd quarter ends, that's kinda disappointing.  Hopefully the next round will be far more competitive. 

Ugh, another fucking heart attack game!  At least they won, but now I'm scared for the championship game, regardless of who they play.

On 1/18/2024 at 10:57 AM, skidmarkgn said:

That's 100% what bothered me, lol.  I'm in the same boat when it comes to blowouts but when every game but 1 over a playoff weekend (where all the supposed best teams are on the field) are over by the time the 3rd quarter ends, that's kinda disappointing.  Hopefully the next round will be far more competitive. 

And tonight's game is why I actually prefer the blowouts.  I would have been much happier if they won 45-0.  Hell, I almost would have been happier if they lost 45-0!  I can feel my blood pressure going off the charts in game's like this.  Too close for too long, and down to the last second.  I guess that's a good game for anyone who isn't a Niners or Packers fan, lol.

And Samuel re-injured his shoulder.  Last time he was out 3 weeks.  Hopefully its not that bad this time, but considering he came out in street clothes immediately afterward, he may miss next week's game.

34 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

I can feel my blood pressure going off the charts in game's like this.  Too close for too long, and down to the last second.

Guess I'm just used to that, I mean, that's literally how almost every game Seattle plays goes, lol. 

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Guess I'm just used to that, I mean, that's literally how almost every game Seattle plays goes, lol. 

Bruh, you guys don't know heart attacks until you've seen a Lions game

1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

Wasn't surprised with either outcome, but was hoping the Packers would pull it off. Hoping the Chiefs can make it past today, but even if they do, next week makes me nervous. Hell, Bills fans should be, too, if they move on!

Every fan from every remaining playoff team feels ya on that one.  Ravens look unbeatable right now.  If I was setting SB odds, I'd have them as massive favorites.  I think the only way they lose at this point is if they beat themselves.

29 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

Every fan from every remaining playoff team feels ya on that one.  Ravens look unbeatable right now.  If I was setting SB odds, I'd have them as massive favorites.  I think the only way they lose at this point is if they beat themselves.

I think about the only thing that could stop them is Lamar Jackson blowing his knee out.

23 minutes ago, acasser said:

When was the last time Detroit won two playoff games in the same season?

In the SB era NFL?  Never.  However, they did it a couple times in the 50s before the leagues merged.

But Fun Fact, prior to this season, the Lions only had 1 TOTAL playoff victory in the SB era.  ONE!

2 hours ago, majob said:

First NFC Championship appearance since 1991!!! See ya Sunday niner fans

We'll be here!  Seriously though, best possible result, so glad they got past Tampa, cause if the Niners can't do it, I want it to be the Lions.  So whichever way next weeks game goes, I'll be good with it.

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Buffalo... you're dead to me.  Golden opportunity to finally get Taylor Swift off of my Goddam TV and you completely choked.  Hope you guys never see a SB again.

She’s going back on tour soon, but she could be there next week.

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

She’s going back on tour soon, but she could be there next week.

I imagine if the Chiefs win next week, the NFL will extend her a deal to include her in the SB half time show, just to keep this whole thing rolling.

37 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

I imagine if the Chiefs win next week, the NFL will extend her a deal to include her in the SB half time show, just to keep this whole thing rolling.

A lot of people in KC are annoyed by this nonsense, myself included. Was fun to see Jason Kelce drunk and shirtless, though. :lol: 

My fam is from Highland Park and are loving the past 2 weeks and honestly the whole season for that matter, I thought it was hilarious though that today was a matchup between 2 teams that had win-less seasons in their history.  Still that's absolutely insane that Detroit had won just 1 playoff game in a half century, even if they lose to the 49ers I can't imagine anyone seeing this season as a failure by any stretch of the imagination. 

7 hours ago, acasser said:

When was the last time Detroit won two playoff games in the same season?

1957, coincidently also the last time they won an NFL championship and also the beginning of the so called curse of Bobby Lane. I won't maintain any illusions though, the Niners have probably the most solid team the Lions have faced since the Ravens earlier this season but I'm honestly just happy to see  some success for once.

Edited by majob
  • Like 1