What Do You Fear Most

damon8r351

Last night I had a nightmare I can't recall, but whatever it was made me run from my bedroom into the main area of the house, knocking over my dog's water dish along the way. He was right behind me, looking at his water like "Why!?", but also looking at me with concern in his eyes. Which is understandable, in his eyes the alpha of his pack was reduced temporarily to a scared animal, so he thinks there's something he should be scared of also. If I was going to make a guess about the subject of the nightmare though, I'd be willing to bet it had something to do with spiders. Awake, I don't care about spiders, but asleep I'm apparently deathly afraid of them because every one of my screaming nightmares has something to do with them.

So that's what I want to know is, what's you're deepest fear? Not the lame one like fear of failure or death or anything like. The one deep down in the lizard part of your brain that governs your urge for food and water and sex, the one that you have nightmares about and wake up nothing more than a stampeding animal or something tiny cowering in a burrow. The one that makes you scream before you know you're doing it. A real scream is involuntary and you can do nothing about it because it's an instinctual warning of danger to others of your kind dating back to when we were all primates living in trees. I want to know know which fear of yours produces that. Mine involves spiders and bees, what are yours?

Heights. Or rather falling from heights. Im a weird one. I can go in an airplane. I can go in tall buildings. But give me a rickety ladder and im terrified. Put my close to the edge of a balcony. Gutless. I have lots of jobs at work at heights and i hate every one of them. And its just a matter of feeling secure. Even with proper gear i dont like it. Falling from heights in videogames bugs me too.

Heights. Or rather falling from heights. Im a weird one. I can go in an airplane. I can go in tall buildings. But give me a rickety ladder and im terrified. Put my close to the edge of a balcony. Gutless. I have lots of jobs at work at heights and i hate every one of them. And its just a matter of feeling secure. Even with proper gear i dont like it. Falling from heights in videogames bugs me too.

^

My biggest fear is somewhat rational: some people. I've had a couple of situations on the street where people have threatened to beat me up, knife me, etc. In both cases I managed to avoid an altercation, but the sheer irrationality and apparent willingness to do violence to me for no discernible reason (in once case, the guy crashed into me on his bike, then wanted to beat me up for it - in another case, a guy pulled a knife on me for refusing to give him a cigarette when I didn't have any besides the one I was already smoking) was really scary. Maybe they were just talking the talk to appear tough, who knows. 

Irrational, primal fears that make me jump? Probably spiders. I'll do an involuntary jump but then recover and pick him up and toss him outside. 

I find that I usually fight back in my dreams. I've not had a nightmare in years. Most dreams where something "bad" is happening turn into awesome ones once I realise I'm dreaming and take charge of events. 

That's a difficult one. But if I had to chose one, is being out late at night in my town. Around 23:00 (11:00 PM for American people. Nothing against you, I might add.) There's a lot of drunk people I come across. And when I'm in bed with insomnia, I actually hear yelling and screaming. There hasn't been any murders in my town, (not that I know of) but I'm scared I might get beat up until I'm unconscious. Or it might be just a nightmare that I have. I don't know.

• Like 1

My biggest fear is somewhat rational: some people. I've had a couple of situations on the street where people have threatened to beat me up, knife me, etc. In both cases I managed to avoid an altercation, but the sheer irrationality and apparent willingness to do violence to me for no discernible reason (in once case, the guy crashed into me on his bike, then wanted to beat me up for it - in another case, a guy pulled a knife on me for refusing to give him a cigarette when I didn't have any besides the one I was already smoking) was really scary. Maybe they were just talking the talk to appear tough, who knows.

Irrational, primal fears that make me jump? Probably spiders. I'll do an involuntary jump but then recover and pick him up and toss him outside.

I find that I usually fight back in my dreams. I've not had a nightmare in years. Most dreams where something "bad" is happening turn into awesome ones once I realise I'm dreaming and take charge of events.

I don't get why every Brit thinks they're hard by walking around with a shank. Seriously, I got a knife pulled on me by a 14 year old in the Glasgow subway. I am 6 ft 2 and starting laughing hysterically

It's not much different in the US. People will whip out their gun over stupid road rage and it's police officers are the most trigger happy police in the world.

I don't really fear anything but when I look at the sheer brutality and arrogance of my fellow humans, I'd have to say I fear the cruelty and viciousness of mankind

Edited by Goekie

How it comes spiders are not a lame fear? =D They are pretty common, also eg snakes, bats, different insects, especially when they are bigger than the normal bug... and maybe its even flying. The fear of wesps is pretty common too, sadly we are in panic mixing them up with bees, which are only attacking when they feel threatened.

I know a spider isnt an insect but lets mix them up with insects to keep it simple.

Fears? Insects... I cant believe some cultures are eating them .... :(

Fears? Highs... Most of my deathdreams - which I have often, because you guys know how sensible Im =/ - are about that Im jumping from somewhere.

Fears? Humans... Never had a good life, was the generic weakling and that dood everyone thinks hes gay. Today Im living voluntarily isolated and Im just leaving the house when I must. I believe humans will force me to suicide somewhen in the future. Why? Dont want to write a book here, but somehow people think Im mad and want to argue and stuff, when Im in reality just sad and people simply dont stop to reload their "weapons" or dont know when its enough. Because, who cares for feelings of others anyway?

Fears? My "mother"... Since she cancelled the contact, because an "expert" on tv said japanese stuff makes guys pedophile, Im feeling pretty good at this point. Back then as I lived with her I dreamed often about getting punched, shouted at and of course every problem in her life was my fault...

Hmmm, there is lot stuff that can scare you...

Some weeks ago there was this policeofficer at my door, scared the shit out of me... but actually he just wanted to buy some of my games xD

• Like 1

Relieving a certain situation:

We were on a Sunday morning preparing to go out with my family and have a nice time together. I was upstairs when I suddenly start hearing shouts coming from the porch.

My mom came running and told me to get down cuz two guys had come up and They were holding my dad and my older brother hostage with guns pointed at their heads. Oh, and there was also the fact that this stuff happened around that neighborhood before and someone always ended up dead.

Let me tell you the terror you get after knowing or feeling a close relative is going to die...is just too much man. That stuff is something I wouldn't wish even for my worst enemy.

Thankfully (and thank God) nothing happened by a miracle, and they just ended up stealing a car which we managed to recover some time after.

Edit: erm...I think I went a little overboard posting this.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

I only really have one fear. Death. Non existence. 

Why? You won't be there to experience it. If it will be like anything, it'll be like where you were before you were born. That wasn't so bad, was it?

I don't get why every Brit thinks they're hard by walking around with a shank. Seriously, I got a knife pulled on me by a 14 year old in the Glasgow subway. I am 6 ft 2 and starting laughing hysterically

It's not much different in the US. People will whip out their gun over stupid road rage and it's police officers are the most trigger happy police in the world.

I don't really fear anything but when I look at the sheer brutality and arrogance of my fellow humans, I'd have to say I fear the cruelty and viciousness of mankind

Lol. I don't think it's every Brit, but with guns not being as easily obtainable here, knives are probably the weapon of choice for those that feel the need to "tool up". 

Yeah, the US really needs to get a grip on it's gun control. It's an amendment people. You can just un-amend it!

I'm the exact same, I can even go on the highest roller coasters, but otherwise be terrified going up a ladder and don't like being near the edge of any high places.. I had a job going up a ladder may have been required, but they were always wonky, luckily I'm tall enough I could reach the top of a shelf without needing it.  The falling from heights in video games though, can't say it bugs me, they aren't real. lol

That and I have an in-explainable fear of slugs, snails and worms; no idea why I am scared of them, just am. (But on the otherhand, I'm completely fine with snakes that could possibly kill you either by poison, strangling, crushing or eating you whole.)

Forgot my most obvious one.. lol.

I fear social interactions with people (in real life, online I'm completely fine).  I'm glad I live in the outskirts where pasting by people is rare.  But when I have to go into the town or anything like job interviews etc, I get so nervous as there isn't really a way to escape the crowds and can sometimes take panic attacks if the crowds are that bad.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 3

Relieving a certain situation:

We were on a Sunday morning preparing to go out with my family and have a nice time together. I was upstairs when I suddenly start hearing shouts coming from the porch.

My mom came running and told me to get down cuz two guys had come up and They were holding my dad and my older brother hostage with guns pointed at their heads. Oh, and there was also the fact that this stuff happened around that neighborhood before and someone always ended up dead.

Let me tell you the terror you get after knowing or feeling a close relative is going to die...is just too much man. That stuff is something I wouldn't wish even for my worst enemy.

Thankfully (and thank God) nothing happened by a miracle, and they just ended up stealing a car which we managed to recover some time after.

Edit: erm...I think I went a little overboard posting this.

Holy shit I am very sorry that this happened to you , you are very lucky though. . And lol you didn't go overboard, you would fear it , if it's happened to you.. If this thread was a competition though you are a little OP :P

• Like 1

Why? You won't be there to experience it. If it will be like anything, it'll be like where you were before you were born. That wasn't so bad, was it?

I'd rather like to continue existing thanks. I'd really like it not to end, so can we actively research stem cells and such for curing diseases and prolonging life. Immortality would be just fine thank you. 

I'd rather like to continue existing thanks. I'd really like it not to end, so can we actively research stem cells and such for curing diseases and prolonging life. Immortality would be just fine thank you. 

Oh yeah, sure, if I could prolong my life indefinitely, (and be happy living that life), I would too. But that's not the point. I'm just saying there's no point in fearing non-existence. You didn't exist before your conception, and that wasn't so bad. Wanting to live forever is not a reason to fear non-existence. 

All humans have an innate fear of the dark, some more than others, but everyone at least has an uneasiness in dark places that are unfamiliar. This is because the dark hides literal monsters. As in, nocturnal predators that use the cover of darkness to hunt, including the ones that used to hunt us. So if someone ever tells you that you'resilly for being scared of the dark, tell them it's not your fault, it's evolution.