A Very Dashie Christmas.- $300 Giveaway!

XIII-Order-Xion

My scariest moment (even though I'm not scared easily) was while playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

There was a moment where you have to hide from two monsters. And since you don't have any weapons you'll be as good as dead if they see you. So I was hiding when suddenly the screen went all blurry and distorted. That happens when I...er, I mean the character loses his sanity. I had to find a source of light to regain my sanity. So I went out of hiding when suddenly both monsters ran towards me. I had to stand up in real life because of all the adrenaline.

That was a great moment :D

The scariest moment I had when playing a game was with my first horror game, and it is in part the reason why I avoided most horror games during my childhood. I'm talking, of course, of that little moment on the first Resident Evil when you're walking by a regular (or so it seemed) hallway, you are just going from point A to point B, and BAM! Zombie Dog time! 

It wasn't only the jump scare, I hated the dogs in this game xD zombies I could handle, they were slow and dumb, dogs? those bastards were a nightmare. I still remember that day, I was so close to say "f*** it" and stop playing, but I endured.

I don't think I have many memories to choose, since I haven't played many horror games, really... I guess I'm gonna go for a classic one - Amnesia. Just imagine sitting in your room, without anyone but you in your house. 11:30PM. No light, no hope. All you've got is the game and that creepy as hell music, that makes the immersion reach incredibly high level. Slowly going down the corridor. Step. By. Step. Getting an item you're supposed to get. Music goes really chill, you think nothing can happen now. THEN CHAOS HAPPENS, TWO MONSTERS JUMPS ON YOUR FACE. You start to scream like a baby girl, your hands go shaky. Your heart is trying to beat the way out of your chest. You reach dead end. Monsters are just behind you. You die. And all you can do is to agree with what happened.

That's what I've gone through. Worst 30 seconds of my life.

• Like 1

Ohhh, great idea, Dashie! :D

I don't play scary games often, due to being a big kitty coward, but i did play a decent amount of them (usually by a certain someone encouraging me), so i do have a few memories i can share, but i'll only post one as that's the amount allowed :P

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly scary moment: Well, Fatal Frame 2 was my first game experience of the series, and i shit you not, it scared the innocent little boy inside of me.

The first few cutscenes of the game made me go "Ok, i'm done with this game forever" but i usually continue being scared from where i left the previous day, anyways i'll get to the scariest moment i encountered..Lemme see....I think the scariest moment in fatal frame II goes to the cutscene with Sae laughing hysterically in a room full of DEAD fucking bodies and Kusabi chasing me afterwards out of nowhere (i shat myself here, keep that in the records)...I mean, really, you cannot exorcise the damn thing nor hurt it nor walk away from it/him while being...scary as fuck. and to add to that, you die in a pretty much crazy death scene if he gets you..If that did not make me stay away from scary games, i dunno what would have.

Oh, and just to make sure, Fatal Frame II was my second scary game i have ever played (Ironic :awesome:), with the first one going to the original Resident Evil...I think the third one was Silent Hill 2? lol i don't know what's wrong with me with starting a series by the second game :P

• Like 2

I've played tons of horror games, but the first encounter with the Alien in Alien: Isolation really got to me for some reason. The way the Alien moved, dragging it's tail spear-thing past the hospital beds you had to hide under was horrifying, especially after only encountering it in linear cutscenes prior, this felt like getting dropped into the deep end with nothing to hold on to. The Alien's weird roar/breath thing coupled with the beeping of the motion tracker made it extremely tense, it's a shame the scare factor wore off after a few hours. It may not have been the most scared I was in a game, but it's the first that comes to memory. Other honourable mention goes to the grotesque 'Groom' scene in the Outlast DLC, where some deranged psychopath is using table saw to cut other patient's dicks off so he can have a bride.... yep.

• Like 1

Can't really recall my scariest moment in gaming. Rarely do games scare me now, but when I was a little kid, I would easily get scared. First game to really scare the shit outta me... would have to be Silent Hill 4. When I was a kid, I rented Silent Hill 4 in... 2006? I don't even know why I picked up the game, since the cover of the game already creeped me out. But so yeah, I picked it up, played it, and I was scared of the intro instantly, but even I knew it was just a cutscene, which didn't scare me so much, since, well, it was just a cutscene. After the intro, I progressed through the game, and the first enemies were just dogs. I could handle them, they didn't scare me. But the more I progressed through the subway... oh god. Encountered my first ghosts, the flying demons, whatever they were. They seriously scared me, I literally started screaming when I was playing and saw them levitate towards me. I just ran away and started to almost cry. :lol: Took me one hour later to go back to the ghosts, and thinking that I should kill then, I just attacked one of them. Got so happy when I killed one of the ghosts... and then started freaking out once the ghost I "killed" just started to levitate up again, and attacked me. I stopped playing the game there as I realized that the ghosts couldn't die. Well, not yet anyways. Their groans, their levitation, how freaking demonic-like they were, it really traumatized me back then.  That game has one of the weirdest monsters ever.

And another game that really scared me was the first and original Siren. Also another game in where enemies can't die, and the concept of enemies not dying scared the hell outta me. That game has the gameplay concept of hide-n-seek, solving puzzles, etc. You can attack enemies, but hell would I dare to face them on. Could barely progress through the game, the freaking demons scared my pants off me. Demons were creepy as hell, they also creeped me out as I hid from them, and I could hear them groaning, looking for me through the darkness in villages filled with spirit demons wanting to hunt and kill everything. That game was so dark, so creepy, so disturbing. ;-; I wonder if I could play that game now without getting too scared.

• Like 2

Awesome contest (I like contests that actually involves the Users as opposed to just "like the first post")

OK my favourite memory doesn't actually come from me playing but my brother...but it happened because of me :P

He was playing Condemned on the PC with the lights off and headphones on. I thought it would be funny to sneak up behind him and try to scare him. So I picked up our cat and crept up behind him (he couldn't hear because of his headphones) and put our cat on his shoulders (who then decided to put her claws out to hold on).

Well my brother screamed which caused my cat to jump and land in his arms which caused him to scream again ^_^

Somehow he hadn't seen me and I was able to make a hasty retreat and then casually walked back into the room pretending to be concerned for my ailing brother. Suffice to say he played the game with the lights on after that :lol:

Thanx! Yeah I wanted to get the community involved in this contest, plus I host lots of writing contests on another site, so if anything I enjoy is a written contest.

I want to thank everybody who has entered so far!- and to those who just simply wanted to share a memory!-feel free to do so also!- I've loved what I read so far and know even now this is going to be a close contest! <3

• Like 1

Games don't really scare me all that much, so I don't have any cool stories. I mean, I do have a funny story about Silent Hill. Me, a friend and my brother were playing the first game late one night. We decided to put it in the PC, to get the soundtrack, and we came across this weird piece of music, that had aliens in the title, after a bit of looking, we found an Alien ending. Which we promptly sat for the next few hours doing xD and boy was it worth it xD what a great and weird ending that was! Many laughs were had along the way. 

But great contest Dashie!! <3 you're awesome! 

• Like 1

Fear 2 in the elementary school was pretty scary first time i played it, still creeps me out today. There's this part where you're going through this long hallway then all of a sudden all the locker doors fly open and the lights start going out, then ghosts start attacking you. As you go further down the hallway the light situation gets worse to where the screen is flashing and going pitch black so you can't see well, then there's blood everywhere and moving bodies attached to the ceiling crying in agony, and Alma keeps popping up in front of you. I ran to a corner with my back against the wall and stayed there for a while pausing the game only to be welcomed by more ghosts when i unpaused, the noises were horrendous aswell as in the background there was these doors that kept slamming like they were possessed or something.

Great game xD

I was literally going to mention this chapter from F.E.A.R. 2 as well xD I was literally rushing through that chapter to get it over and done with :P Also another thing that creeped me out was in one of the earlier chapters where you go into a bathroom and one of the stalls slowly opens. I paused the game and was like NOPE xD

• Like 1

I also thought this was a thread for Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories. Anyway it's best to watch the vid first, before reading my comment.

Due to a certain event in my past, I don't like horror and I don't play any real horror games. So my horror experiences may not seem that scary to die hard horror fans. But I played the Thief game and there you have to ... well be a thief. So stealing treasures, using stealth, picking locks, peeking through keyholes to observe guard's movement, etc. Sounds like a very non-horror game, except for a certain chapter where I had to infiltrate a building. It looked like a standard "get in, avoid the enemies, take the goods, and get out" job. Got to the building without any problems and collected some shiny things on my way. As I was peeking through the keyhole, suddenly a ghost entered the screen and looked throught the hole at the other side. Scared the hell out of me, more so because I didn't expect to find horror in this game.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

I was literally going to mention this chapter from F.E.A.R. 2 as well xD I was literally rushing through that chapter to get it over and done with :P Also another thing that creeped me out was in one of the earlier chapters where you go into a bathroom and one of the stalls slowly opens. I paused the game and was like NOPE xD

I froze in a corner right in the bloodbath and had to mentally prepare myself to get out :lol:

I remember that part, you find a body and Alma appears by the door behind you.

Let's not even get into the abominations or elementary school basement xD

• Like 1

It might not be the scariest moment in a game, but my most memorable one was my 1st experience with the horror genre. The game was this bad boy..

RELongBox.jpg

I was pretty young, about 11-12, at the time. After reading about Resident Evil in an edition of EGM I couldn't wait to play the game. I saved up my allowance for months until I finally had enough money to get it. I still remember the excitement I felt bringing it home from the store. Obviously, I had no idea what a jumpscare was at this time. It was dark outside and I was calmly walking down a hallway in the game. Out of nowhere, two dogs come crashing through the windows. My response was straight out of a trailer for a horror movie that shows the audience reactions. The controller flew out of my hands and up into the air as I jumped back from my television. I didn't really scream but I did let out a quick shriek/yelp. Inside, I was hoping that nobody in my house heard or noticed. Unfortunately, my older brother just happened to be walking down the hallway outside of my room. As he came in to inquire what happened, I attempted to play it cool and said it was the character in the game that made the noise.  B) He wasn't buying any of it. Needless to say, he began laughing and made fun of me as brothers do. I was hoping this was the end, but I was wrong.

It should be noted that at the time, my room was arranged in a way that if I was playing a video game, my back was turned to my door. About an hour had passed and I was intensely focused back on the game. One of those moments where you are just oblivious to anything else going on around you. I guess my brother had decided to have a little more fun with me. He sneaked into my room and grabbed me from behind. I jumped up and screamed like a little girl. That was it, I was done with Resident Evil for the night. I'll just go back to playing Super Mario 64. The next day, after a very sleepless night, I forced my dad to help me rearrange all of the furniture in my room so that I was facing the door while playing games or watching TV. It took me a while to finally finish Resident Evil since I would only play it during the day and preferably when my brother wasn't home. I also kept one eye on my door at all times, watching for the shadows underneath the door of anybody trying to sneak up on me.

• Like 2

I'd have to say it was in F.E.A.R. Of course the whole game has that creepy atmosphere, and my friend had played it before I did, so he knew a little bit about what was going to happen. Well, he somehow managed to sneak up on me while I was playing, and there was a lamp beside my bed, which was the only source of light I had on at the time. Well, the lights went out on the game, and my lamp went out at the same time, and my friend grabbed my shoulder. I screamed like a 5 year old girl...

This is all after I laughed at him hiding behind his girlfriend when he played F.E.A.R. 2....I felt so small after that. I learned not to make fun of my friends for something like that, because they would get their revenge one day!

However, he took a solid punch to the...well, let's just say he was speaking an octave or two higher after that, if you catch my drift. Purely accidental. The punch was thrown from instinct. He just happened to be at the wrong height compared to me when I lashed out...so in the end, I ended up with revenge as well.

Does it definitely have to be a horror game?

I'll share my story anyway as it actually happened to me just now...was playing Assassin's Creed IV, happily sailing along listening to shanties and plundering ships (as you do) when I see a hunting spot for a Great White Shark.  Now as I've been able to run in swamps without the crocodiles trying to nom on my legs, I thought this would be a doddle.

Set up my little hunting boat and hit the shark with the first spear, it does the little sequence where it tries to swim away and I hit it a few more times before it snaps the line and disappears into the murky depths.  Now when I tried to hunt a different shark, my crew mates called out whether it was approaching from the starboard or port, allowing me to spear it again, but the great white shark disappeared entirely.

So I'm intensely staring at the screen, trying to see sight of a fin so that I may recommence my spearing, when suddenly the shark emerges out of the water a'la Jaws style (teeth first) and tries to bite a chunk out of the boat (and me)   D:

I very nearly jumped over the back of the couch it startled me so much and I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry...so I did both  :emo:

• Like 3

Does it definitely have to be a horror game?

I'll share my story anyway as it actually happened to me just now...was playing Assassin's Creed IV, happily sailing along listening to shanties and plundering ships (as you do) when I see a hunting spot for a Great White Shark.  Now as I've been able to run in swamps without the crocodiles trying to nom on my legs, I thought this would be a doddle.

Set up my little hunting boat and hit the shark with the first spear, it does the little sequence where it tries to swim away and I hit it a few more times before it snaps the line and disappears into the murky depths.  Now when I tried to hunt a different shark, my crew mates called out whether it was approaching from the starboard or port, allowing me to spear it again, but the great white shark disappeared entirely.

So I'm intensely staring at the screen, trying to see sight of a fin so that I may recommence my spearing, when suddenly the shark emerges out of the water a'la Jaws style (teeth first) and tries to bite a chunk out of the boat (and me)   D:

I very nearly jumped over the back of the couch it startled me so much and I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry...so I did both  :emo:

Sorry but yes it has to be a horror game, though feel free to share as many memories that gave you a jolt :P- I enjoyed reading this one, sounds sooo shocking!

Tomorrow is the Giveaway to the winner!!!- Looks like all got entered fairly well, so I'm thinking winner will be announced around 4-or 5 in the afternoon.

• Like 2

Thanks Dashie, and TheLast for the answer too :) .

This one happened in 2007:

I was 12 at that time and I couldn't handle many horror games. But I had finally grasped one of the most awesome ones ever made imo: Doom 3

So, believing myself to be all high and mighty (again), I started playing it every night consecutively in front of the computer with all lights out and high volume.

I definitely got scared of the atmosphere after a couple hours, especially since demons lurked behind doors, waiting to jump right at your face, but I kept playing and playing. That is, until I came to a part where you meet a "survivor of the hellish onslaught" who asks you to help her...but suddenly, her head bursts out:

My reaction?

colbertscared.gif

So I managed to destroy it, clear all the stuff on the room and go out...then 6 of these suddenly appear. One of them got reeeeeally close (not suited for children):

But as soon as it bites me, at the corner of my eye, I see a head with widened eyes. So, as any completely sane 12 year old, I yanked out the mouse and came close to throw it when I suddenly saw it was my mom surprised at seeing her son awake at such late hours.

I think I received the most severe punishment afterwards, and I couldn't play Doom 3 until 2 years later.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 2

Legitimately thought this was about Kingdom Hearts.

Back when I was younger my brother and I used to watch my parents play Resident Evil Remake. So one time we didn't and opted to go bicycle riding. What we didn't know when we went to play it two days later was that our parents had been messing around on invisible mode. Of course we don't see any enemies, and out of the blue we start getting smacked around. Needless to say there was lots of screaming from our end trying to figure out what was going on.

Not expecting to win anything, but I'll share this anyway. On PS2 I played Project Zero 3: The Tormented (that's Fatal Frame to US readers). It was my first time through the game and I was already pretty freaked. Ghosts scare me a lot more than zombies or creatures. So anyway, I was in a courtyard with a well in the middle. It had been some time since any ghostly encounters so my guard was down. I approached the well and interacted. The text read "It's a well, it's too ...dark to see inside". So I thought, "We'll see about that". I put the held up my Camera Obscura and entered first person view. I looked down into the well to see if it really was too dark, only for a ghostly woman to jump up out of the well, right into my face (with the obligatory audio stinger)... I must've leaped a foot into the air, and was so freaked I had to take a 10 minute break to recover...

• Like 1

It might not be the scariest moment in a game, but my most memorable one was my 1st experience with the horror genre. The game was this bad boy..

RELongBox.jpg

I was pretty young, about 11-12, at the time. After reading about Resident Evil in an edition of EGM I couldn't wait to play the game. I saved up my allowance for months until I finally had enough money to get it. I still remember the excitement I felt bringing it home from the store. Obviously, I had no idea what a jumpscare was at this time. It was dark outside and I was calmly walking down a hallway in the game. Out of nowhere, two dogs come crashing through the windows. My response was straight out of a trailer for a horror movie that shows the audience reactions. The controller flew out of my hands and up into the air as I jumped back from my television. I didn't really scream but I did let out a quick shriek/yelp. Inside, I was hoping that nobody in my house heard or noticed. Unfortunately, my older brother just happened to be walking down the hallway outside of my room. As he came in to inquire what happened, I attempted to play it cool and said it was the character in the game that made the noise.  B) He wasn't buying any of it. Needless to say, he began laughing and made fun of me as brothers do. I was hoping this was the end, but I was wrong.

It should be noted that at the time, my room was arranged in a way that if I was playing a video game, my back was turned to my door. About an hour had passed and I was intensely focused back on the game. One of those moments where you are just oblivious to anything else going on around you. I guess my brother had decided to have a little more fun with me. He sneaked into my room and grabbed me from behind. I jumped up and screamed like a little girl. That was it, I was done with Resident Evil for the night. I'll just go back to playing Super Mario 64. The next day, after a very sleepless night, I forced my dad to help me rearrange all of the furniture in my room so that I was facing the door while playing games or watching TV. It took me a while to finally finish Resident Evil since I would only play it during the day and preferably when my brother wasn't home. I also kept one eye on my door at all times, watching for the shadows underneath the door of anybody trying to sneak up on me.

It was the gamecube version I'd played but damn that bit made me shit my pants. The worst bit about that part is you just start getting a grasp of the area by then. Most zombies you've either taken out or you can just avoid all together. So you're just wandering around happy as larry looking for an old key then BOOM! heart attack time.

That first Resident Evil was just the best

• Like 1

I going to explain my memory of the most scariest part of any game by mentioning Resident Evil 4. I remember back where I played the Wii version of the game just to beat it again since I really like it, and everything I seen and played was really good even though there are some parts that I am still stuck on like the puzzle section and annoying Sarah again even though her armor suit really works. So the scariest part that really jumped me was when I was at the laboratory and that damn gray creeper has this odd appearance like Majin Buy from DBZ. When I try to kill or run for cover, he just scared the living heck of me when he pulls his very long arm of his and killed Leon where I was really shocked on how in the heck he did that. It took me quite a few attempts on how to defeat him but thanks to some of my weapons that are effective to knock the ugly creature down, I was really happy that I did it back then. It give me so much chills that I say it made me only scares me where my family thinks I am not scared of anything since they noticed when we was at a hunted house, they was shocked I didn't jumped, but when in games a big creature or some unexpected happens when the music is getting tense and have to get stealthy, I am being so catuious and get shocked of what will happen next.

I also have the same thing of TLOU due to those damn clickers but that another odd looking creature part where Joel have's to go down to the building while Eille got to wait wait with the horse while Joel is done, that scared me the same way as that.

Edited by Superstarmaste1r
  • Like 1